Newbie 1805 | Emperor | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 am

Post by SlingshotWaffles »

In post 148, rulerBob8 wrote:PoS? What's that?
Palm of suspicion?

Like FoS but more.
British Empire>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this modern rubbish they call the United Kingdom
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:19 am

Post by Keychain »

Hi all. I'm replacing tranlyvu. I'm a newbie, played one game here a couple of years ago. Later today I'll share my thoughts on what I've read so far. But first:
In post 107, Fire Starter wrote:I will comment on everything after work (pinky promise, I actually have some reads) but I think we should claim. Like I said before, the point is to win.
This would be very refreshing. Please do post these reads.
Fire Starter
Fire Starter
Goon
Fire Starter
Goon
Goon

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 am

Post by Fire Starter »

Im actually holding on that for the moment. If I need to explain at a later date I will.
SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:59 am

In post 152, Fire Starter wrote:Im actually holding on that for the moment. If I need to explain at a later date I will.
Explain or reads.
British Empire>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>this modern rubbish they call the United Kingdom
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am

Post by Draynth »

In post 152, Fire Starter wrote:Im actually holding on that for the moment. If I need to explain at a later date I will.
withhold specific points if you need to, you really should at least post something though
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS
Fire Starter
Fire Starter
Goon
Fire Starter
Goon
Goon

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 am

Post by Fire Starter »

Obviously :roll:

Sorry. I hate being town. Its boring so I procrastinate.

VOTE: SlingShotWaffles

Ignoring the early debate of who took what joke seriously, as it could have easily been opportunistic scum(but from his gameplay it doesnt seem to be the case, but im bad), the thing that really bothers me is him asking if the tracker should claim. Brain farts happen but I literally cant wrap my head around this.

The mistake was apparently thinking no one claimed BP. Thatd be fine if everyone had already claimed. Not everyone did since BP claimed almost immediately. My issue is that and the fact that it seems like a cover up to hide the fact that he seems to know the setup has a tracker. Wants the tracker to claim, realizes he shouldn't know the setup, covers it up with a brain fart.
SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:40 am

In post 155, Fire Starter wrote:Obviously :roll:

VOTE: SlingShotWaffles

Ignoring the early debate of who took what joke seriously, as it could have easily been opportunistic scum(but from his gameplay it doesnt seem to be the case, but im bad), the thing that really bothers me is him asking if the tracker should claim. Brain farts happen but I literally cant wrap my head around this.

The mistake was apparently thinking no one claimed BP. Thatd be fine if everyone had already claimed. Not everyone did since BP claimed almost immediately. My issue is that and the fact that it seems like a cover up to hide the fact that he seems to know the setup has a tracker. Wants the tracker to claim, realizes he shouldn't know the setup, covers it up with a brain fart.
Okay if you're going to do that, at least type my name correctly.

Slingshot is one word. No capital for the s in shot.
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Post by Keychain »

HOLD UP. Is Slingshot at L-1?
SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 pm

In post 157, Keychain wrote:HOLD UP. Is Slingshot at L-1?
Uh... yeah.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

Vote Count 1.06

SlingshotWaffles
(4): Brandi, Ferastical, rulerBob8, Fire Starter
Brandi
(1): SlingshotWaffles
acidphoenix
(1): Draynth
Fire Starter
(1): Prism

Not Voting
(2): Keychain, acidphoenix

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline
: (expired on 2017-06-27 08:45:00)
<(") | (")>
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Post by Keychain »

@Fire Starter: that was a rather rash move. Not only did you not actually tell us
any
of your reads that you claim to have had at post 107 (since the tracker post happened afterwards), you put Slingshot at L-1 for what could have been an honest mistake. And didn't call it.
At least I saw it as an honest mistake. To explain - if you're at step 1 of the BP/Not BP claim strategy, you look for a BP claim. From my perspective when the claim happened and step 1 finished, Slingshot went into step 2 of the strategy. It was just the wrong step 2 and the mistake seems believable.
You, on the other hand? That was much bigger slip up. You had "some" reads before this happened, so out with them. This concealment is making alarm bells go off for me.
VOTE: Fire Starter

@Slingshot: I'm also terrible at picking up jokes in text - please tell me that your PoS at the claimed BP is another joke.
Fire Starter
Fire Starter
Goon
Fire Starter
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Post by Fire Starter »

I always call when I put someone at L-1 if it's intended. I didnt realize Brandi was still voting him.
L-1 on Slingshotwaffles

What slip up did I make? Not revealing my reads? Ok. Nor do I plan to unless you explain why I have to. What purpose does it serve town RIGHT NOW in this hotshotpancake situation? I may be stubborn as fuck but I like to think I'm being more than reasonable by trying to prevent scum from basing any kills or lynches off my reads this early in the game.
Fire Starter
Fire Starter
Goon
Fire Starter
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by Fire Starter »

Rereading and it seems that the votes from Brandi and Ferastical are from forever ago(pardon me not remembering votes that had nothing to do with the current situation), so I would like to hear their thoughts and if they still are fine with voting him.
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Post by acidphoenix »

@Prism i didn't actually particularly think you were scum, but i didn't really have a good scumread on anyone- for the most part right now i have "the people i think are clearly town" (most notably, slingshot), a few town leans(mostly draynth for his response to my post on his nl), and the other people in the game(you were on this list, hence a vote on you)

the actual content, for the most part, was just me going through the thread and noting things that stuck out at a glance

VOTE: Ferastical
putting my vote back here; isn't cleartown and haven't already gotten a response from

seriously can we please get off slingshot
Keychain
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Keychain
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Post by Keychain »

Fire, I don't expect anyone to remember the exact number of votes on every player in the game but I would expect you to check the vote count to prevent any accidental lynchings. That's the mistake I meant.
The reason that I want you to at least give some indication of your reads is that the town is the uninformed majority. Without working together to hunt scum, we're just bumbling around in the dark. If we communicate, we can better work out who is most likely to be scum and lynch them - and if we insist on communication, we force scum to pretend to be hunting for scum as well and we have a better chance to catch them out.

I was asking for your reads because you had promised they existed, and your shady response distracted me from the point I originally intended to make when I had the time.

I think Acid's vote on Ferastical is well placed, if not really well reasoned. Ferastical has stuck to Draynth like glue for three instances now: when Draynth first joined the game he unvoted before his read through. Ferastical immediately dropped his RVS vote on Brandi based on uncertainty, which seemed out of the blue to me. When Draynth opposed the BP/Not BP claim strategy, he promptly followed suit with a slightly overboard attack and a vote on Slingshot. And when Draynth finally agreed to the claim strategy, Ferastical immediately questioned whether they were going to be claiming. Looks like a pattern to me.

But I'm happy with my vote on Fire for now. He's just kind of nitpicking posts, which seems not very productive and rather more like a way to seem active without actually helping us determine who to lynch.
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Post by Draynth »

In post 155, Fire Starter wrote:Obviously :roll:

I thought you weren't giving reads to stop people from being NK'd?
In post 161, Fire Starter wrote:What slip up did I make? Not revealing my reads? Ok. Nor do I plan to unless you explain why I have to. What purpose does it serve town RIGHT NOW in this hotshotpancake situation? I may be stubborn as fuck but I like to think I'm being more than reasonable by trying to prevent scum from basing any kills or lynches off my reads this early in the game.
Like, if you don't want to give reads then don't. But don't say you have reads and then flat out refuse to back that statement up. It's anti-town as hell and if you're actually town it just screws everyone else over.
In post 164, Keychain wrote:I think Acid's vote on Ferastical is well placed, if not really well reasoned. Ferastical has stuck to Draynth like glue for three instances now: when Draynth first joined the game he unvoted before his read through. Ferastical immediately dropped his RVS vote on Brandi based on uncertainty, which seemed out of the blue to me. When Draynth opposed the BP/Not BP claim strategy, he promptly followed suit with a slightly overboard attack and a vote on Slingshot. And when Draynth finally agreed to the claim strategy, Ferastical immediately questioned whether they were going to be claiming. Looks like a pattern to me.
I didn't even notice I was being pocketed, good point.
@Ferastical
Right now, who do you think is town / scum and why?
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am

UNVOTE:
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Prodding Ferastical
<(") | (")>
Ferastical
Ferastical
Townie
Ferastical
Townie
Townie

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:48 am

Post by Ferastical »

In post 165, Draynth wrote:
@Ferastical
Why are you asking me? I just might be the scum afterall and point at people who are supposedly "scum", just to get them out of sight and my job easier. But as a wise man said: "Communication is the key" and so I take it as you think of me as no other then a simple townie.

Right now I have no suspicion over anyone and I'm not willing to randomly lynch anyone, so
UNVOTE:

About the gamebreaking - it just so has happened to me that almost 90% of the people who gamebreak end up to be the usual scum. That's why I brought it up in the first place. What usually happens is that when there's 3 people left, (1 scum and 2 townies) thw scum claims a role of a townie still alive. The townie tries to protect himself by counter-claiming, thus drawing suspicion on him and in the end getting lynched. But if the original townie gains his/her trust back, the scum usually says: "Fine, lose your only way to win then.", leaving the other townie between a hard choice. Not voting is a bad move too, unless you don't have a BP Townie (Then it's just 50/50 chance whether the scum picks the BP townie or not.)Trust me, I have died like, 16 times like this. (I have tried many other methods, but I still end up dying.) That is why I voted SlingshotWaffles. As I now understood this method wouldn't work on the first day, I'll leave Slingshot be.

As my first suspicion I had Brandi in mind. Unfortunately that was really a random lynch, sorry for that Brandi.

I claim:
- Not BP

Yeah, right now I actually don't mark any suspicious messages or sentences. I'll post again if I see anything that doesn't fit.

(Holy sh*t, this is a long post :o)
Ferastical
Ferastical
Townie
Ferastical
Townie
Townie

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Ferastical »

In post 164, Keychain wrote: I think Acid's vote on Ferastical is well placed, if not really well reasoned. Ferastical has stuck to Draynth like glue for three instances now: when Draynth first joined the game he unvoted before his read through. Ferastical immediately dropped his RVS vote on Brandi based on uncertainty, which seemed out of the blue to me. When Draynth opposed the BP/Not BP claim strategy, he promptly followed suit with a slightly overboard attack and a vote on Slingshot. And when Draynth finally agreed to the claim strategy, Ferastical immediately questioned whether they were going to be claiming. Looks like a pattern to me.
Nice research, bro, I didn't even notice that.

Now how do I excuse myself? Because everyone has, otherwise they're going to end up lynched... hmmm...

Lets just say, I'm a newbie townie who didn't know what the **** he was doing back then, but that's a good notice. Also - Not claiming would have drawn suspicion on me and Dyranth, which it apparently did and as I didn't want to get lynched so quickly I decided to claim. Honestly, I don't like claiming in the early game, but I didn't want to people to think of me as a scum.(I didn't actually even see the post about Dyranth accepting the claiming.)

I'm fine with the vote on me, Acidphoenix. Everyone should have freedom of their opinion. :)

As far as this goes you've probably started to realise I'm claiming to be townie, so that's what I do.

I claim to be Townie.
Ferastical
Ferastical
Townie
Ferastical
Townie
Townie

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:16 am

Post by Ferastical »

In post 162, Fire Starter wrote:Rereading and it seems that the votes from Brandi and Ferastical are from forever ago(pardon me not remembering votes that had nothing to do with the current situation), so I would like to hear their thoughts and if
they still are fine with voting him.
I posted a ton of messages above, read them for further information.
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 am

Post by Draynth »

In post 161, Fire Starter wrote:I always call when I put someone at L-1 if it's intended. I didnt realize Brandi was still voting him.
L-1 on Slingshotwaffles
Isn't this really the same thing as the reason you're voting Slingshot for?

You either A) Genuinely didn't realise (You didn't believe Slingshot when he said this) or B) were trying to score a free mislynch (Effectively the same as slingshot attempting to score a free tracker claim)
In post 161, Fire Starter wrote: What slip up did I make? Not revealing my reads?
This feels like you knew you messed up and are trying to divert attention away from it.

Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am

Post by Draynth »

In post 168, Ferastical wrote:
In post 165, Draynth wrote:
@Ferastical
Why are you asking me? I just might be the scum afterall and point at people who are supposedly "scum", just to get them out of sight and my job easier. But as a wise man said: "Communication is the key" and so I take it as you think of me as no other then a simple townie.
Because it seemed as if you were trying to pocket me so I'd like to know if you have any thoughts.
In post 168, Ferastical wrote:I claim:
- Not BP
RulerBob8 already claimed BP in and since noone counter-claimed it's believable, good to know anyway.
In post 169, Ferastical wrote:As far as this goes you've probably started to realise I'm claiming to be townie, so that's what I do.

I claim to be Townie.
This feels kind of forced

That being said I still think all of the above could be attributed to overeager newbTown so for now I'm not concerned.

SlingshotWaffles
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
SlingshotWaffles
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 am

Getting scummy vibes off Fire.
Will make case when I get the time.

Also Fera a bit.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am

Post by Prism »

UNVOTE:

I'm not really agreeing with the Fire Starter votes anymore, particularly Keychain's reasoning behind it. The only post that Fire Starter really "nitpicked" was Slingshot's mistake. (To comment on that real fast, I don't think it's alignment indicative given the explanation). His recent posts show some good intent I think. Not revealing your reads isn't great play (in that the name of the game is collaboration) but his reasoning behind it seems to come from a good place. In particular, if you say you have reads as scum, generally you
actually have something to give
. Doubling down on it is what feels town to me.

Ferastical isn't a bad vote. I think his two above me are really odd and don't say a lot for the amount of words that are there. I think Keychain's observation on him isn't really that great, the only questionable move to me is the reaction to Slingshot in my opinion. Multiple people made the case as to why the claim strategy should happen and why it's not against some unspoken spirit of the game, so I don't see going back on it as a big deal. Draynth's bit about his post feeling forced really sums this one up for me.

I'm not a big fan of Keychain's #160. The vote slipup was something I definitely would have made as well so I don't really fault Fire Starter for it, and for what I described above I don't think Fire's concealment is a scumtell but instead the opposite. It just reads like a very reactionary vote. Keychain's #164 also starts strong but I think stumbles in the Ferastical bit. The reasoning there seemed to exist before the Fire Starter piece, but wasn't given until afterwards, and is seemingly less of an issue. Keeping the Fire vote is somewhat believable but in general I'm just not getting a great feeling from these reads.

Brandi I'm pretty disappointed in. I realize that she appears to be going through some personal issues, and as someone who constantly struggles to stay active and engaged I feel that. That said, she's the IC. This is supposed to be a teaching game for her. ICs normally serve as very active mentors, trying to get you to come to the right conclusions, for the right reasons, and helping you stay engaged. She's doing the exact opposite of that right now, and should have just played as an SE instead. Nothing about her play thus far has really showed her alignment, and for awhile drafting this post my vote was originally on her. I'm not going to do that though because I think that's a bad way for her to become more involved and serves more as a discouragement. I want you here, I want you talking, I want you to try and teach, and I want you to have fun. It's okay if you don't do great, but just try, and we'll be happy.

This vote really could have gone three ways on any of Ferasticall/Keychain/Brandi. I feel like I'm missing something, somewhere. I've liked something about the posting of all of acidphoenix, Fire Starter, Slingshot, and to a lesser extent Draynth. For now I'm going to go on Ferastical, largely because those recent posts left a lot to be desired. At the end of the day all they said was "I'm town".

VOTE: Ferastical

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”