Newbie 1808 - Dystopia!: Game Over!

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Newbie 1808 - Dystopia!

Moderator: fferyllt
Backup Moderator: Cabd

The Dystopian fiction genre made its appearance in the 20th Century, though a few earlier novels checked most of the Dystopian boxes. The genre has made a comeback in the 21st century, often hitting far too close to home for comfort. This game is dedicated to Dystopian motifs, stories and writers. The flavor is purely for your (and my!) enjoyment and has no effect whatsoever on the Matrix 6 newbie game setup and rules.

Player List (9)

WhemeStar SIV36
Keychain
NotTheRealPaul WhaleBarnicle Faraday1791 Ace181 stay away I have a gf, wylted1
EternalLurker ExoticQueen
Kaminaseigaku
Jingle Vic Sage, Tracer, Assemblerotws
Prism (SE)
Mulch Elbirn (SE)
BBmolla (IC)

1Replaced during confirmation phase

Deadline info
Game is Over!

Spoiler: Alive
Jingle, a Mafia Goon

Spoiler: Dead

BBmolla, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched on
EternalLurker, a Town Cop, was killed on
Keychain, a Mafia Goon, was lynched on
Kaminaseigaku, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched on
Whemestar, a Vanilla Townie, was killed on
Mulch, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched on
NotTheRealPaul a Vanilla Townie, was endgamed on
Prism a Vanilla Townie, was endgamed on

Spoiler: Modkilled

Let's not go there

Spoiler: Vote Counter Settings
Living PlayersNotTheRealPaul (replaces Ace181; Faraday1791; WhaleBarnicle)
Jingle (replaces Assemblerotws; Tracer; Vic Sage)
Prism
Mulch (replaces Elbirn; ELBIRN)

Links

Last edited by fferyllt on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 42 times in total.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is [url]here[/url].

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a 1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional private thread, located [url]here[/url], which you may talk in during Pregame, and during Night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional private thread, located [url]here[/url], which you may talk in during Pregame, and during Night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.r

Idic

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Rules:

Voting and Deadlines:

1. Voting must be bolded in the form Vote: Player - bold tags
Code: Select all
[b]Vote: Player[/b]
or

VOTE: Player vote tags
Code: Select all
[vote]Player[/vote]

or else they will not be counted. Unvotes are not required to change your vote, but they are helpful. Please note: I'm using an automated vote counter. If you don't use the vote tags, be sure to add a colon after the word "Vote".

2. I don't mind if you use nicknames/abbreviations when you vote someone. But if I have no idea who you're voting for, then the vote won't be counted. Please note: the vote counting application may be more finicky about nicknames than I am. If you notice that your vote hasn't been recorded, please let me know.

3. Lynches require a majority of votes: (number of living players/2) +1, rounded down.

4. If there's no majority at deadline, there's no lynch.

5. When the hammer vote is cast, all players, including the lynched may talk freely until the final vote count and lynched player's cardflip have been posted. I will lock the game thread at that time.

6. When you are hammered, on the following day, you may make a "bah" post with no game-relevant information. Nothing more.

7. Deadlines are set at two weeks and extensions will only be given in the most extreme of circumstances.

Prods and Replacements:

1. Prods will be given if you do not post in 48 hours. Weekends count as a single full day in determining if a prod is due.

2. You will be replaced if you either do not respond to a prod, or need to be prodded more than 3 times total. You may request for a player to be prodded at any time, but the less you request, the happier your mod is. Prods requested when a player has been absent for less than 48 hours do not count for replacement purposes.

3. If you're V/LA, make sure I know. If you are V/LA for more than a week, I'd suggest requesting replacement, but that's not required. If a lengthy V/LA is adversely affecting the game (e.g., if you are not able to post minimally during that time), then your mod may replace you.without penalty.

Misc.

1. Dark Blue (#004080) is the color I will use for mod posts. Please don’t use this color or otherwise try to make your posts look like mod posts..

2. You can talk about the game in the private threads given to you via PM, assuming you were given one. Otherwise, please refrain from talking about this game outside of this thread, and don't talk about other games inside of this game. This is a sitewide rule. See announcement here.

3. No editing, deleting, using invisible texts, write in code, etc...

4. Don't quote or talk about any mod-recieved PMs. Your flavor is for you to enjoy and you only until the end of the game.

5. I make mistakes. If you notice I make one, please let me know.

6. Questions are vastly preferable to Modkills. If you're thinking about to do something that you're unsure is within the letter or spirit of these rules and the game of mafia, then tell me about it first.
Last edited by fferyllt on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idic

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Role PMs are going out now. Confirmation will be by PM reply. The game will start once 8 out of 9 players have confirmed.

Role PMs have been sent! 7 of 9 Players have confirmed.

NOTE: Some issues with confirmation are holding up this game. I'm going to give it about 3 more hours, and then proceed with 7 confirmations this time. (at 9 pm Pacific Time)

I will update this post with progress as we approach game-time!

Idic

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Vote Count 1.1
Day 1 Begins!

Technological Dystopias

Not Voting (9): stay away I have a gf, Keychain, ExoticQueen, Assemblerotws, Prism, Elbirn, BBmolla, SIV36, Kaminaseigaku

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline: July 13, Midnight US Eastern Time.

Countdown: (expired on 2017-07-13 21:00:00)

Mod Notes:

- stay away I have a gf and ExoticQueen have 24 hours in which to post before I must seek replacements.
- :]

Idic

Prism
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Hi everyone. I'm an SE, or a semi-experienced player. I've been around the mafia block quite a few times, and my experience is here for you to draw upon. That said, most of the teaching will come from the IC who will likely introduce himself shortly.

Speaking of which:

VOTE: BBMolla

Your meta intrigues me, in the sense that I found it really hard to grasp your thought processes in a game we shared awhile back (Sakura Wars). Despite my being mafia, I really didn't get most of your play that game. Would you consider it characteristic of your normal townplay, or is there an important difference I should be watching out for ahead of time?

Elbirn
Content Aficionado

Pronoun: He

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:56 pm

Well hi everyone! I'm one of the SE players in this game. SE stands for "semi-experienced" and just means that that person has played at least two games onsite. It's not a teaching role, like the IC is, however it's my personal philosophy that I should do what I can to aid newcomers. I'll defer to bbMolla as he is the IC, and is also more experienced than I am; however, I will also hold myself to IC standards and promise to answer game theory questions honestly regardless of alignment.

Now that niceties are out of the way, let's get started. Games typically begin with RVS (random voting stage) where people place votes and silly accusations just to break the ice and get the game started for real. Soo...

VOTE: Assemblerotws

Your name is unpronouncable and I don't like it

Elbirn
Content Aficionado

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Oh wait, prism is here with the ninja

Prism are you scum?

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:10 am

Hi everyone! I'll be your Inexperience Challenged for this game, meaning that if you have any questions throughout the game, feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. My play is governed by the article here.

While it is my job to teach, if for some reason I can not provide an answer to you, the SE players(Elbirn and Prism) are also here to help make sure that no question is left unanswered.

A few notes about the game(Credit to Andrius for most of this):
  • Read the rules of the game. Each moderator's rules are different, so read these and get familiar with them.
  • Do not Self-Vote. Self-voting is never helpful to the town, and is incredibly anti-town. It is the worst vote you can make in the game, what if a scum player would have voted you had you not self voted? We'd never know. I can't stress this enough. You can always fight for your position.
  • There is no reason to No Lynch on D1 in this setup. It doesn't help us at all, here in a newbie game. For details on why, see this post.
  • Do not claim a power role as a vanilla townie. Seriously, don't.
  • Do not claim your role until you need one more vote to be lynched AND someone has stated intent to hammer.(There are some examples where this is okay, like if you jailed someone and no kill went through or you have a guilty as a cop) In addition, if someone needs one more vote to be lynched, make sure you ask them to claim first. If you don't ask for a claim, you could possibly be lynching a Power Role!

Alright, now generally this phase of the game is called the Random Voting Stage and the Random Questions Stage.

Random Voting is done at the start of most games because it creates reactions, which we can then use to jumpstart the game and scumhunt. Generally the votes in this stage are for silly reasons. For example:

VOTE: Prism
Cause he voted for me and I'm obviously town.

RVS tends to go on for a few pages until someone finds something legitimately scummy and throws down a serious vote.

Random Questions is less common. I dislike timezone questions and such, but I do feel the following are good questions:
What is your experiance with forum mafia in general?
What is your experiance with mafiascum?

I began playing forum Mafia after learning about Mafia through Epicmafia.
I have played numerous games, probably 100ish, of varying lobbies.

If you all could please get an avatar, I'd really appreciate it, it literally messes up my scumhunting when you don't have an avatar because I'll keep mixing you up. Even if it's just a single color or something, I don't care, just get something that I can identify you by.

Here are some sample avatars to use if you're too lazy to find one:
ImageImageImageImage

If you want to know a bit more, feel free to check out this Newbie Guide and also check out our List of Commonly Used Abbreviations.

I will not treat you nicer because I'm the IC and if you have a problem with that you can report me to the list mod.

Other than that, let's just have a good game!

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 am

In post 5, Prism wrote:Hi everyone. I'm an SE, or a semi-experienced player. I've been around the mafia block quite a few times, and my experience is here for you to draw upon. That said, most of the teaching will come from the IC who will likely introduce himself shortly.

Speaking of which:

VOTE: BBMolla

Your meta intrigues me, in the sense that I found it really hard to grasp your thought processes in a game we shared awhile back (Sakura Wars). Despite my being mafia, I really didn't get most of your play that game. Would you consider it characteristic of your normal townplay, or is there an important difference I should be watching out for ahead of time?

I played like shit and didn't have any power because of bad early reads. By the time I figured out who was scum I had no presence to do anything about it and we lost.

Keychain
Creates Words

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 am

VOTE: Kaminaseigaku
We both start with K, and there can be only one...

@BBmolla: Those sample avatars are so cute, I'm tempted to use one anyway. Regarding your questions, they're basically the same for me since this place is my only experience of forum mafia - I played my first mafiascum game in 2015, I think, and haven't been back since then. I've been getting back into it recently.

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

Ace181 replaces stay away I have a gf

Idic

SIV36
Goon

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 am

VOTE: Assemble rows

I rolled a die, and it came out 6. You are the sixth person on the list. It was a clairvoyant 10-sided sparkly die so it's legit.

Also, I'm sick. Achoo! (For realz, that has nothing to do with the roles in the mafia game. I'll be alright tho.)

Ace181
Townie

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 am

Do we need to vote now?

Assemblerotws
Goon

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 am

VOTE: Keychain because the dice were bad for you.

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 pm

In post 13, Ace181 wrote:Do we need to vote now?

Typically the game starts with votes to spark discussions and such. Otherwise everyone sits around waiting for something to happen. Which it doesn't.

Not only did you random vote in the most non-commital way possible, but you did it right after someone else did. Seems like something scum just wanting to fit in and stay out of the limelight would do.

Elbirn
Content Aficionado

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:57 pm

In post 15, BBmolla wrote:
In post 13, Ace181 wrote:Do we need to vote now?

Typically the game starts with votes to spark discussions and such. Otherwise everyone sits around waiting for something to happen. Which it doesn't.

Not only did you random vote in the most non-commital way possible, but you did it right after someone else did. Seems like something scum just wanting to fit in and stay out of the limelight would do.

*nods approvingly* I'm also not a fan of him coming in, seeing two votes on himself, and not saying anything about it. Real under the radar-like

Kaminaseigaku
Goon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey everyone, Nice to meet you all! Second game on here, as well as second game online, still pretty inexperienced with somethings, so I apologize in advance!

Call me Kam or Kamina for short, and I look forward to winning this game with the rest of the townspeople!

Okay, now to start! Keychain, fight me! But I'm actually gonna go with voting for BBmolla

VOTE: BBmolla

IC's are evil! Or something like that, can IC's help answer questions after being dead?

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:23 pm

can IC's help answer questions after being dead?

Nope

Assemblerotws
Goon

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Fine, three votes on me? You want me to do something about that?

VOTE: SIV36 for either being as noncommittal as I was when I was even more tired as fuck or just "happening" to have a random vote land on someone already voted for. I

(Still tired, and I've seen scientific studies showing that being sleep-deprived is as bad as being drunk. Hopefully I'll be more rational after my vacation this weekend.)

Prism
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:34 pm

It's been a really long past 24 hours, I'll be more active in a bit.
In post 9, BBmolla wrote:I played like shit and didn't have any power because of bad early reads. By the time I figured out who was scum I had no presence to do anything about it and we lost.
So what would you say are things that should typically be looked for in a town BBMolla?

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 pm

In post 20, Prism wrote:It's been a really long past 24 hours, I'll be more active in a bit.
In post 9, BBmolla wrote:I played like shit and didn't have any power because of bad early reads. By the time I figured out who was scum I had no presence to do anything about it and we lost.
So what would you say are things that should typically be looked for in a town BBMolla?

not being a robot

Kaminaseigaku
Goon

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:42 pm

How would you describe what a robot is?

Kaminaseigaku
Goon

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Oh and thanks for the answer, I'm gonna leave my vote there just for now.

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:44 pm

...and

Idic

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games