Newbie 1814 | National Geographic | Game Over

Counterpoint
Goon

Pronoun: They

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 am

Newbie 1814

Newbie 1814: National Geographic

Your moderator is Counterpoint (a hydra of ThinkBig and Plotinus)

Players

01. Alonzo replaced WhaleBarnicle** day 1
02. osuka replaced JaeReed (SE) day 1; PersephoneSidekick day 1
03. UnaBombaH replaced bobbobin*; PsykoSavant day 1
04. Bucket* replaced Gorny day 1; replaced Yooh day 1; replaced Lucci in pregame
05. RedFlavor
06. RadiantCowbells (SE) replaced Mike R night 2; MastaMasta day 1; joshuamelfano in pregame
07. Carcalilly* (SE)
08. Ginngie (SE) replaced Edosurist* (SE) day 2; Scorpious** (SE) day 1
09. Malakittens** (IC) replaced mastina (IC) day 1

* denotes prod

Spoiler: Alive (3)
03. UnaBombaH replaced bobbobin*; PsykoSavant day 1
04. Bucket replaced Gorny day 1; replaced Yooh day 1; replaced Lucci in pregame
06. RadiantCowbells (SE) replaced Mike R night 2; MastaMasta day 1; joshuamelfano in pregame

Spoiler: Dead (6)
05. RedFlavor, Vanilla Townie, lynched day 1.
02. osuka (replaces JaeReed; PersephoneSidekick), Town Cop, killed night 1.
09. Malakittens (IC) (replaces Mastina), Mafia Goon, lynched day 2.
08. Ginngie (SE) replaced Edosurist* (SE) day 2; Scorpious** (SE) day 1, Vanilla Townie, killed night 2.
01. Alonzo replaced WhaleBarnicle** day 1, Vanilla Townie, lynched day 3
07. Carcalilly (SE), Vanilla Townie, killed night 3

Spoiler: Replacement Queue (2)
PM us to join the replacement queue!
  • mhsmith0
  • aphix

Spoiler: Spectators (6)
PM us to spectate!
  • Hubris
  • Yooh
  • Gorny
  • Mastina
  • JaeReed
  • skitter30

Spoiler: Vote Count Settings
Living PlayersUnaBombaH (replaces bobbobin; PsykoSavant; Psycho)
Bucket (replaces Gorny; Yooh)
RadiantCowbells (replaces RC; Mike R; MastaMasta; joshuamelfano)

Links

Deadline2017-09-22 15:00:00 2.00

Events Role PMS are sent out
Yooh replaces Lucci & MastaMasta replaces joshuamelfano, both of whom failed to pick up their role PMs.
Day 1 starts!
Gorny replaces Yooh
Mike R replaces MastaMasta, who failed to pick up his role PM
bobbobin replaces PsykoSavant
JaeReed replaces PersephoneSidekick
UnaBombaH replaces bobbobin
Alonzo replaces WhaleBarnicle.
Bucket replaces Gorny
Malakittens replaces Mastina
osuka replaces JaeReed
Edosurist replaces Scorpious
RedFlavor is lynched. End of day 1.

osuka is killed, Day 2 starts!
Ginngie replaces Edosurist
Malakittens is lynched. End of day 2.
RadiantCowbells replaces Mike R

Ginngie is killed, Day 3 starts
Alonzo is lynched, Night 3 starts

Carcalilly is killed, Day 4 starts
Last edited by Counterpoint on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am, edited 58 times in total.

Counterpoint
Goon

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

Rules

You are fully responsible for understanding and following these rules. Failure to read is not a defense.

None of these rules superseded or contradict the Forum Rules and Guidelines, all of which are in full force.

GENERAL RULES
  • Orange is my color. Avoid using it. Multicolored read lists and possibly some other special cases are fine. Use common sense.
  • Play to win. Specifically, play to win this game, not to build yourself a meta for some other game.
  • Don't discuss the game outside of the game until I say it's over.
  • Don't flame. Don't harass. Don't use insults that target minority or disadvantaged classes. Attack the slot, not the person. If you are proven to be a toxic player, we may force replace you at our discretion.
  • Animated texts and gifs are of the devil. If you use them, please hide them in spoiler tags
  • If you have a personal problem with another player, deal with it privately after the game or, if necessary, bring it to me or a site mod.
  • Don't quote, misquote, or pretend to quote private communications from the moderator. You may paraphrase. Specifically do not reference the time stamp on your or anyone else's role PM.
  • Don't use encryption, tiny/hidden/unreadable text, or anything that could be easily confused for such.
  • Don't game the rules, pretend to break the rules, or test my limits. I have no patience for this behavior. If you have a question about what is acceptable, ask.
  • My decisions are final; don't argue them in the game thread. If you take issue with my moderation, PM me.

VOTING, ABILITIES, AND DEADLINESDay
  • Days begin with a deadline of 14 days.
  • Days end when one of the following events occurs:
    • The deadline is reached.
    • A player is lynched.
    • A town-aligned player is modkilled.
  • Votes should be made via the vote tag: "[vote]<playername>[/vote]" or "[v]<playername>[/v]". Full player names or initial segments thereof are preferred.
  • I will interpret malformed votes according to my own discretion. In general, if it looks like a vote, I will probably count it as a vote. I may edit malformed votes for easier counting; if so, I will make it clear that I have done this.
  • When a majority has been achieved but not yet processed by the moderator, the game is in twilight. Players, including the lynchee, may continue to post during this period.
  • Under certain circumstances we may elect to extend the deadline. I will announce this in thread if it occurs.

Night
  • Nights will last exactly 48 hours.
  • During the night, you should be unable to post in the public game thread. If for some reason you are able, doing so is still against the rules.
  • Unless otherwise specified, use of night abilities is optional, and if no action is submitted no action will occur.

ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS
  • Once the game begins, all players must post within 24 hours or a replacement will be sought.
  • Players who do not post for 48 hours in a single game-day will incur a prod.
  • Players who do not post for 24 hours following a prod will be replaced.
  • Players who incur three prods will be replaced.
  • At my discretion, excessive prod-dodging may result in a mod warning and subsequently in disregard of future dodges.
  • If for any reason you are temporarily unable to meet these requirements, you may declare V/LA status in thread and be excused. V/LA declarations must include a definite end date.
  • If you anticipate that you will have difficulty meeting these requirements, consider voluntarily replacing out.
  • These are minimal requirements, not recommendations; please keep the game active.

Counterpoint
Goon

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:18 am

The Setup

This game uses the Matrix6 setup designed by Cogito Ergo Sum.

ABC
Town Jailkeeper
Vanilla Townie
Mafia Goon
Mafia Roleblocker
Town Cop
Town Doctor
1-shot Bulletproof Townie
Mafia Goon
Town Tracker

The role distribution is determined by randomly selecting one row or one column from the above table, then filling in the remaining 6 roles with 5 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon to create a 7-town, 2-mafia setup.

For example, if Row 1 was chosen, the full setup will be 1 Town Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies, and 2 Mafia Goons.

Mechanics:
  • The first phase is Day 1.
  • Mafia do not have daytalk: they may communicate in their private thread only at night.
  • This game uses Natural Action Resolution.
  • If a Roleblocker and Jailkeeper target one another, the Roleblocker's action will succeed and the Jailkeeper's will fail.
  • Roleblockers are permitted to submit the factional kill and use their ability during the same night.
  • Bulletproof is a reflexive ability and cannot be roleblocked.

The possible role PMs for this game are as follows.

Spoiler: Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a 1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk during night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk during night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.
Last edited by Counterpoint on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Counterpoint
Goon

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:09 am

All role PMs have been sent out (in the order of the signup list so timestamps mean nothing)! We will start in (expired on 2017-07-31 18:30:00) or when [8/9] people have confirmed, whichever happens sooner.

The above timer and any others used throughout this game will be accurate from the time you loaded the page.

ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm

/confirm game moderator!
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm a moderator, too!
Sequencer is in Game 1 | Forest Fire is in Day 2 | River is in Day 2

Counterpoint
Goon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am

Yooh replaces Lucci! MastaMasta replaces joshuamelfano! They have (expired on 2017-08-03 18:30:00) to confirm or they will be replaced! Day 1 starts now!

Counterpoint
Goon

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:30 am

Official Vote Count 1.00

LynchingNot Voting (9): Carcalilly, MastaMasta, mastina, PersephoneSidekick, PsykoSavant, RedFlavor, Scorpious, WhaleBarnicle, Yooh

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

The day 1 deadline is in: (expired on 2017-08-14 18:30:00)

Mod notes: Good luck everyone!

Please take a moment to familiarise yourselves with my ruleset because I have some rules you may not have encountered in other games before regarding animated gifs, tiny text, prodging and perhaps some other things!

If you have played in one of our games before, please be aware that our ruleset has changed substantially.

MastaMasta and Yooh have (expired on 2017-08-03 18:30:00) to confirm or they will be replaced.
Last edited by ThinkBig on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedFlavor
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:06 pm

System thought I was an alt but Im first
/vote mastina

To vote, type one of these things:

Code: Select all
[v]PlayerName[/v]

or

[vote]PlayerName[/v]

--P

RedFlavor
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 pm

VOTE: mastina

PersephoneSidekick
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:24 pm

VOTE: WhaleBarnacle

Seriously we can't let him get to lylo or he'll vote prematurely and let scum quickhammer :p

PersephoneSidekick
Goon

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Sorry, that was mean.

RedFlavor
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Idk why days are 2 weeks long

PersephoneSidekick
Goon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 pm

It allows a lot of back and forth and relatively leisurely analysis of each other's analysis of each other's...

PsykoSavant
Goon

Location: A land down under. Where women glow and men plunder.

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Its also helpful for those of us with jobs, most other games I've played are quicker paced but require you to check in every hour to keep track of whats going on.

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi there!
I'm mastina, your Inexperience Challenged player: I am both your teacher and a player.

Now! I must warn you: In my past ICing experience, I've discovered that while I might teach well, and while I may be a decent player, I kinda suck when combining the two. (But, newbie games are a place where everyone learns: newbies, SEs, ICs, and moderators alike.) So if I don't give you what you need to grow your game, I do apologize.

That being said, I'm trying out a new approach: teaching by example primarily through play. The best teacher is experience; unless I'm either directly asked or I see something I deem particularly egregious (e.g. seriously advocating for a No Lynch), I'll let you play around and figure out what does(/n't) work.

With luck, it'll cut back on my rambling. I'll try not to make too long an introductory post, so I'll wrap up with this:
VOTE: RedFlavor.

Critical thinking question1: Why do you suppose I voted RedFlavor? (Hint: The answer isn't that I am scum who can't think of an alternative.)
Critical thinking question2: Why do you suppose I asked critical thinking question 1? (Hint: The answer isn't that I am scum too lazy to think of reasons for voting RedFlavor.)

I'll answer both when every player has checked in or after 72 hours have passed ((expired on 2017-08-03 16:32:26)), whichever comes first.
In exchange, I expect everyone to answer both questions.

Title Fairy Feedback
October Title Event: Title Council is ongoing!

Yooh
Townie

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Hello there!

As for introduction, English is my second language. I have a crappy writing skills. Please be aware there might be an issue related but I still don't want to use language barrier as excuses, so feel free to address any suspicion or question towards me. I'm going to write as short as possible to decrease the chance of creating confusion from my post.

VOTE: VOTE: RedFlavor
Choo choo~

mastina wrote:Critical thinking question1: Why do you suppose I voted RedFlavor? (Hint: The answer isn't that I am scum who can't think of an alternative.)
Critical thinking question2: Why do you suppose I asked critical thinking question 1? (Hint: The answer isn't that I am scum too lazy to think of reasons for voting RedFlavor.)

1. Not contributing any alignment related discussion but discussing (or at least he started) something else ? Well, only 2 people was there.
2. It is helping us to start any discussion, I assume.

To mastina : What do you think about PsykoSavant?

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 pm

In post 16, Yooh wrote:Hello there!
Ooh, I like Yooh.

:P

(Please keep playing here your username is just so amazing that you absolutely MUST stay around even if you don't keep playing mafia you just have to stay around on the site a name like yours is just too good to disappear.)

To mastina : What do you think about PsykoSavant?
Specifically I love this! So much that I'll answer in fact. I was planning on saying this later, but since you asked: PsykoSavant is someone I'm ambivalent on and he's the only player who's posted thusfar I don't have a locked down read on. To be more specific, I can't lock down what's the drive behind his , which is all I've got to judge him by right now. On the one hand, his commentary is good and I don't think he matches that well as a scumbuddy with someone else I think is scum. On the other hand, there's no engaging of others who had posted, yet also no random vote. He popped in to make a comment and did nothing else. So I can't tell yet, not off of just his one post. I'll let you know what I think when I see more posts of his.

Title Fairy Feedback

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Hmm.
Spoiler: Extra discussion:
I debated on whether to share this yet or not, but. Ultimately. I think this is one of those things where there's no harm in sharing it now (aside from it maybe being a tangent thus the spoiler), yet there's a potential benefit in me having done so. Neither of our SEs have posted yet so I have no evidence one way or another to support/call into question my hypothesis, but. While I don't have any tangible reason for this (it's explicitly gut), I vaguely have a feeling we're dealing with a one-experienced-user + one newbie scumteam.

The general vibe I got from the game's atmosphere doesn't seem to fit with both scum being newbies, nor with both SEs being the scumteam. (Of course objectively there'd be the chance I'd be scum but I know I'm not, so.) Were I wrong about this, I would think it'd be two-newbies before I'd think both-SEs, but I do think that we're dealing with one newbie and one experienced as a scumteam. If I could figure out a tangible reason for this I'd give it but I lack one right now, so use your own judgement.

I'll give an update on this as people post of course. (I mean it's the first page and only half the players have posted, so.) Though, commentary-wise, I'd prefer you focus on something like rather than on this because those I know definitely have value; this is something which could have value but also could maybe not have value. So if you want to respond to this, you can, but if doing so, please respond to the questions before addressing this.
I chose to spoiler this because ultimately I don't think this is something important to focus much attention on and could be a distraction.

Title Fairy Feedback

PsykoSavant
Goon

Location: A land down under. Where women glow and men plunder.

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:38 pm

In post 15, mastina wrote:
Critical thinking question1: Why do you suppose I voted RedFlavor? (Hint: The answer isn't that I am scum who can't think of an alternative.)

1. Multiple situations
IF you're village
Either its retaliatory/RVS
OR You want RedFlavor to explain his vote
OR You actually read RF as newbscum for an instant vote and subsequent nonsense post

IF you're mafia, it could be using your experienced status to convince the rest of us that we should be looking closer at RF, and thus taking scrutiny off of you.

2. This is how you get your shits and giggles?

For what its worth, I'm getting a slight scum read on RF, but the same amount of suspicion on Mastina for such heavy insistence on not being scum, and not sure if she's blatantly trying to pocket Yooh and hoping we're too newb to pick up on it.
In any case I don't like RVS. I checked in so people don't wast time jumping to the "he's lurking, he's scum" train of thought. I'd rather have a couple of posts to analyze before putting someone on the chopping block.

RedFlavor
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 pm

1. I should have read some other games in this forum because I thought it was RVS stage and since I was the first poster, I voted a random person, who was the most experience because new players could say "omg, he voted me, so he is probably scum.". I don't know if you are voting me because you think I am scum because I voted you.
2. You said you were going to teach the game and you want to get game going.

By the way, thanks for answering my question about long days. It makes sense because I played others games with 4 days and I had to check the game frequently and it became an obsession. But since days are longer, I believe I won't be distracted too much by this game.

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:55 am

In post 19, PsykoSavant wrote:I'd rather have a couple of posts to analyze before putting someone on the chopping block.
Pray tell, why do you believe you don't have them already?

In post 20, RedFlavor wrote:I thought it was RVS stage and since I was the first poster, I voted a random person
For what it's worth we do in fact normally have our games begin with RVS.

I don't know if you are voting me because you think I am scum because I voted you.
"I don't know" isn't really an answer. Can you give a more elaborate stance?

Title Fairy Feedback

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:02 am

Oh, I should probably also mention this.
In post 19, PsykoSavant wrote:IF you're mafia, it could be using your experienced status to convince the rest of us that we should be looking closer at RF, and thus taking scrutiny off of you.
As per the Being a Good IC guidelines, I am not allowed to do that as either alignment.
I'm not allowed to lie about game theory; I am not allowed to say "do this because I the experienced player am telling you it should be done".

Of course, those come with caveats.
Namely, game theory is largely subjective. There are a few things which we teach people not to do (e.g. No Lynch D1), but there aren't really many things we teach players to do because there's no one "right" way to play mafia, and very very very few wrong ways to play mafia. (Which is one reason I don't intend to preach it to you. Anything I would say would be my opinion and not an objective fact.)

And when it comes to telling people what to do. I can and probably will do that, it's just that I won't use experience as a justification for demanding to be followed.

Title Fairy Feedback

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 am

Additional caveat: I often will say "in my experience". Please note that's largely just a typing quirk of mine. Why I picked that quirk up, I don't really know, but thinking about it, I use that phrase all the time. So you'll see me say that and similar often. But it will not be me using experience to demand anyone do something--at least, not intentionally.

Title Fairy Feedback

mastina
Survivor

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 am

Btw,
In post 17, mastina wrote:I'll let you know what I think when I see more posts of his.
I now do in fact have a read on PsykoSavant!

At this time I will not be disclosing it, but I have it all the same.

Title Fairy Feedback

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games