Newbie 1823 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1823 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 am

Post by Huntress »

Newbie 1823

Player list

adilm29h
Awoo
(replaced Nictis who replaced Clemency)

Fenraiser
(replaced Jamiet99uk)

Archwing
SIV36
Maestro (SE)
Grendel
(replaced FancyPants)
(SE)
Rubicon (SE)
Virtuoso (IC)

Alive (1/9):

Spoiler:
Maestro
(Mafia goon)

Dead (8/9):

Spoiler:
adilm29h
(Vanilla townie)
lynched Day One.
Fenraiser
(Vanilla townie)
killed Night One.
Virtuoso
(Vanilla townie)
lynched Day Two.
Archwing
(Town Jailkeeper)
killed Night Two.
Grendel
(Mafia goon)
lynched Day Three.
Awoo
(Vanilla townie)
killed Night Three.
Rubicon
(Vanilla townie)
lynched Day Four.
SIV36
(Vanilla townie)
endgamed.

Game Events

End of Day One.
End of Day Two.
End of Day Three.
Game ends.
Last edited by Huntress on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:38 am, edited 18 times in total.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:01 am

Post by Huntress »

Rules

1. This is a game. Have fun. Play to win but please don’t make personal attacks or use derogatory language. Just play your part and help to make the game fun for everyone!

2. All votes must be bolded or use vote tags, e.g.
Vote: Huntress
or VOTE: Huntress, and should be on a new line. Unvotes are not required.

3. A simple majority is required to lynch and when this has been reached any further votes/unvotes will be ignored. If deadline is passed before this happens there will be no lynch.

4. After I have announced a lynch or night-kill the dead player must stop posting in the thread and I will give them a link to the Dead Thread.

5. Days will last a maximum of two weeks (unless extensions are necessary), and nights will last 48 hours (or 72 if night commences on a Friday or Saturday). Any night action sent after the posted deadline will be ignored.

6. I will be prodding anyone who does not post for more than 50 hours without having given prior notification, and will be giving them 24 hours to acknowledge the prod by posting in the thread (or by PM if the thread is locked). If anyone doesn't acknowledge or needs prodding too often I will look for a replacement. Night will not end until any required replacements have been found.

7. If you know you are going to be unavailable to read the thread for a period of more than 48 hours, or are regularly absent at weekends, please indicate that in thread (and not just in your signature). If it is likely to be a long absence I may have to consider replacement.

Do not talk about this game outside of the thread
unless your role PM permits it, and then only in the PT I have provided (which will be made public when the game is over). If you want to refer to other games check that they are over before you do so.
Never talk about other ongoing games
. For more information on this, please see this post.

9. Do not quote from any mod communication or PT. You may paraphrase them if you wish, but if you are not sure your wording will be acceptable then you are welcome to check with me first.

10. Please do not use invisible or very small text or encryptions, or use external documents. Please do not edit your posts if you have that ability.
I will be posting in green
so please don't use that either (although I'll make an exception for VCAs etc.). Also, please ensure that any colours you use show up clearly in both the MafSilver and MafBlack themes.

11. Any requests/points addressed to me in the thread (including problems with vote counts) should be bolded. If you have any complaints/problems with this game, or questions about your role, please send me a PM rather than posting them in the thread.

I reserve the right to add to or modify these rules if necessary.

A few useful links:
Forum Rules and Guidelines
Glossary
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Newbie Guide
Fonzie's Guide to Early Game Survival for Newbies
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:05 am

Post by Huntress »

Newbie Setup

Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. The possible combinations are listed below.

Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town 1-shot Bulletproof, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town 1-shot Bulletproof, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

This game uses the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Roleblocker actions will take precedence over Jailkeeper actions should that apply. The 1-shot Bulletproof is a passive ability that cannot be roleblocked.

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon/Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk during pre-game and night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk during pre-game and night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 am

Post by Huntress »

Role PMs have been sent out. Please confirm by replying to the PM stating your role.

Day will start when eight players have confirmed.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:09 am

Post by Huntress »

With all but one confirmed, it's
GAME ON!
Day One starts now.

With nine players alive, it takes five votes to lynch.

Deadline for Day One is Friday, 29th September, 12 noon GMT, (in (expired on 2017-09-29 12:00:00)).

Note

FancyPants is V/LA until Monday.
Last edited by Huntress on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 am

Post by Maestro »

Hi, I'm Maestro

I'm an old fart, I was here before memes were cool
#joindate #gerroffmahlawn #cakepop

VOTE: Clemency
Archwing
Archwing
Mafia Scum
Archwing
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 am

Post by Archwing »

hello!
says old fart, uses hashtags...
VOTE: maestro
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 am

Post by Virtuoso »

IC IntroductionGreetings! My name is Virtuoso and I will be your IC for this game. An IC is a voluntary teaching position that is strictly regulated on mafiascum and am bound by this page. If you are not satisfied with my job as an IC at the end of the game, please bring it up privately
after the game
with me and/or with PenguinPower and we can discuss from there. With that spiel out of the way, here are some introductory notes that you may find helpful.

Some links you might want to read up on first:
Glossary
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Newbie Guide
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia

There are a few key concepts to discuss before we get started to help you better understand the site meta:

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, L-x, and Hammers
L-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from a lynch. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at L-1 (1 vote away from a lynch) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that players lynch. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to lynch (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see L-2 and L-3 (2 votes away from a lynch and 3 votes away from a lynch, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being lynched, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Here's a helpful table to let you know how many players it takes to lynch.

9 players alive5 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 4 votes
8 players alive5 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 4 votes
7 players alive4 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 3 votes
6 players alive4 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 3 votes
5 players alive3 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 2 votes
4 players alive3 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 2 votes
3 players alive2 votes to lynchIt's L-1 when a wagon earns 1 votes (although, it should be obvious here)

Claiming Your Role
It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at L-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

LyLo

LyLo is the shortened representation of “lynch or lose.” LyLo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to lynch (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Mentality

Mafia can get intense sometimes. I've certainly had games that have made me mad, but please remember in the end it is just a game, and there's no excuse to insult or attack other people. Keep your arguments focused on others' play, and remember that someone with a scum role PM is not a bad person, their wincon requires them to trick the town into lynching you (or other townies). Part of my job is to promote a positive and healthy game environment in this game, so I will jump in if I think you are crossing the line. And if you find yourself getting frustrated or upset with what people are saying, take a break from the game for a few hours and come back with a cooler head.

Conclusion

I would like to welcome all newbies here on MafiaScum. I hope everyone enjoys this game and sticks around. My hope is that one day you will rise to the ranks of being an IC.

Credit goes to PenguinPower, creature and mhsmith0 who are both fantastic people on this site.
♫ Where words fail, music speaks ♫
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 am

Post by Virtuoso »

VOTE: FancyPants
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 am

Post by FancyPants »

Vote : Virtuoso

Unfortunately I'm away this weekend, going to a sleepy little town with minimal internet.
I expect pages and pages of content when I get back, kthx.

If you're a townie and new to the game the one piece of advice I'd like to give is: be honest and be active.

I might get a little time to post but otherwise chat Monday.
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:06 am

Post by Virtuoso »

@Mod - V/LA weekends and Jewish Holidays
adilm29h
adilm29h
Goon
adilm29h
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:43 am

Post by adilm29h »

hey guys as roleblocker, why did the game start b4 i could do an action?
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:45 am

Post by Virtuoso »

In post 11, adilm29h wrote:hey guys as roleblocker, why did the game start b4 i could do an action?
Da fuq did you really just scum claim like that?

VOTE: adilm29h
Archwing
Archwing
Mafia Scum
Archwing
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 am

Post by Archwing »

Lmao not sure if trolling? Or..

Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 am

Post by Virtuoso »

In post 11, adilm29h wrote:hey guys as roleblocker, why did the game start b4 i could do an action?
If you're trolling, please just say so or we are going to lynch you 100% of the time.

Also to answer the question, all night actions are done during the night phase and so no actions are done until Night 1.
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:46 am

Post by Virtuoso »

Strategy TalkIn the event that we lynch the mafia roleblocker today, the best strategy to continue is to Follow the Cop. If there is a roleblocker and cop, then there is guaranteed to be a doctor in the setup.

The Cop claims immediately, and the Town votes No Lynch while the Doctor stays hidden. The Cop will get a result overnight, the hidden Doctor will protect the Cop, and the Mafia is powerless to stop it without first finding and killing the Doctor at Night. The Town will continue to No Lynch unless the Cop comes forward with a guilty result, which will then be lynched. However, by the time the Doctor is killed by the Mafia the Town should have enough reads from the Cop to finish the rest of the game via process of elimination.

The cop should not out any innocent results until it is MyLo/LyLo. Why? Because outing a confirmed town only lets the mafia know who to kill instead of the cop.

Another strategy that should be done after a roleblocker lynch is a bulletproof claim. If there is no cop, then we are in column 1 with a jailkeeper and bulletproof. The BP claims and becomes confirmed town, the JK can continue to protect the BP or jail others that may be a kill target or a mafia performing a kill.
Rubicon
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:43 am

Post by Rubicon »

VOTE: virtuoso

Good morning. With one scum outed, the next step is to find their partner. I didn't really like the way virtuoso's reacted just now. It's hard to put into words, it just didn't feel completely genuine.
Clemency
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Clemency
any
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: any

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 am

Post by Clemency »

Oh dear, I've seen someone do this before. Don't do this.
You're most likely town like the last guy, but you'll just weigh everyone down since there's no reason for a townie to actually make a joke like this, even if it is a joke.
"all due respect, the words "Clemency" and "normal" do not belong in the same paragraph" - the worst
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:48 am

Post by Virtuoso »

In post 16, Rubicon wrote:VOTE: virtuoso

Good morning. With one scum outed, the next step is to find their partner. I didn't really like the way virtuoso's reacted just now. It's hard to put into words, it just didn't feel completely genuine.
:eek:
Rubicon
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Rubicon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 am

Post by Rubicon »

Yes yes, it's frustrating to have things fall apart so fast, I appreciate that.
SIV36
SIV36
Goon
SIV36
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

Post by SIV36 »

Hmmm, adilm has history playing, so he's not new to this game. It could be that he's trolling or baiting reactions, or perhaps his little sister logged into his account. Him being actually a role-blocker and announcing it like that....could be possible too perhaps.

Aside from that....oh my. Almost everyone is so sophisticated here.

VOTE: Rubicon Just to be nervy.
SIV36
SIV36
Goon
SIV36
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Post by SIV36 »

On second thought, after reading and rereading it, I'm now thinking adlim's comment is more of a slip as a real roleblocker, and clemancy is trying his best to cover it up.

VOTE: clemancy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Post by Virtuoso »

In post 21, SIV36 wrote:On second thought, after reading and rereading it, I'm now thinking adlim's comment is more of a slip as a real roleblocker, and clemancy is trying his best to cover it up.

VOTE: clemancy
If you feel this way, why vote for the goon over the roleblocker?
SIV36
SIV36
Goon
SIV36
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Post by SIV36 »

Oh wait, clemancy did vote him as well though.

@virtuoso, your right. My vote wasn't really logical. I tend to post fast without editing and right at that moment, I thought I would put some pressure on clemancy to see his reaction, but I'm more sure that adilm is a mafia than clemancy.

VOTE: adilm

**** adilm is at L-1 ****
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Goon
Virtuoso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Post by Virtuoso »

adilm is now at L-1. The next vote will be a hammer (lynch) vote. Please do not vote prior to giving intent and giving adilm a chance to claim.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”