Newbie 1869 | Stuff I found online II | Over

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Thu May 10, 2018 10:04 am

Newbie 1869 | Stuff I found online II

Hello. In this game I'll be showcasing cool stuff I found/learned about online via my RSS reader and maybe talking some about why I think it's cool. Like puzzle jugs! The first puzzle is how to get the drink out of the jug without spilling it all over everything. The second puzzle, not spoiled in the article, is how to clean the silly thing.

Moderated by Plotinus

Original Playerlist:
  1. junijay
  2. LaFlame
  3. MafMen
  4. Shoshin
  5. falcon
  6. Luco
  7. Not_Mafia (SE)
  8. wingedcatgirl (SE)
  9. GuiltyLion (IC)

Spoiler: Game Reveals (9)
  1. wingedcatgirl1 (SE), mafia goon, lynched day 1
  2. LastManStanding replaces falcon2, vanilla townie, killed night 1, but won posthumously!
  3. Alonzo replaces Luco, vanilla townie, lynched day 2, but won posthumously!
  4. Not_Mafia1 (SE), town cop, killed night 2, but won posthumously!
  5. OnTheMark replaces Garuga; MafMen, mafia roleblocker, lynched day 3
  6. junijay3, vanilla townie, survived and won!
  7. Irrelephant11 replaces Wyvernite2; LaFlame1, town doctor, survived and won!
  8. Shoshin1, vanilla townie, survived and won!
  9. GuiltyLion3 (IC), vanilla townie, survived and won!

Spoiler: Replacement Queue (1)

Spoiler: Spectators (1)
  • hubris

Events - Day 1 starts
- Garuga replaces MafMen
- Wyvernite replaces LaFlame
- LastManStanding replaces falcon
- wingedcatgirl is lynched, day 1 ends

- LastManStanding is killed, day 2 begins
- Alonzo replaces Luco
- OnTheMark replaces Garuga
- Alonzo is lynched, day 2 ends

- Irrelephant11 replaces Wyvernite

- Not_Mafia is killed, day 3 begins
- OnTheMark is lynched, day 3 ends
- Game Events, Links to PTs, Commentary

Spoiler: Vote Counter Settings
Living Playersjunijay
Irrelephant11 (replaces Wyvernite; LaFlame)
OnTheMark (replaces Garuga; MafMen)
Shoshin
GuiltyLion (replaces GUILTY LION)

Links

Last edited by Plotinus on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:00 am, edited 28 times in total.
"If Plotfrog is scum, town should feel bad that scumfrog is the only person here with common sense" -- The Blue Blur

Stuff I found online VII is in Day 1.

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

Rules

Inspired by Equinox's, Glork's and Ether's rulesets.

important bit

• 14-day day phase, 48 hour night phase
  • Majority lynches
  • 48 hours before prod, 24 hours before replacement, 24 hour weekends
  • Bah posts allowed (limit: 1, free of game related content)
  • I have some unusual rules about animated GIFs, tiny text, and prodging. Scroll down for details.
  • Don’t be a dick

1. Follow all site rules.
  2. Mod colour – My mod colour is grey; don't use it.
  3. Behaviour - Don’t be a dick. This is a heated game but toxicity will not be tolerated. Attack the play not the player. If your fellow players tell you to stop, you must stop. If you do not stop, I will tell you to stop. If you still do not stop, you will be force-replaced. Asking people to stop voting you or to stop scumhunting you entirely doesn't count for this rule and you may find yourself lynched if you try it.
  4. Don't talk about ongoing games - You may not talk to each other about this game outside of threads I have created for this purpose. You may not talk about other ongoing games in this thread.
  5. Animated GIFs - are of the devil, but they are permitted behind spoilers if clearly labelled as such.
  6. Tiny text - is also of the devil, keep it 70+ please.
  7. Provable randomness - is against the rules. Saying that you rolled a dice is fine, using dice tags or random.org is not.
  8. Claiming scum - by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with another player is against the rules.
  9. Cryptography - is forbidden. Breadcrumbing is okay.
  10. Confirmation - You have about 72 hours to confirm your role and your alignment by PM. Game will start sooner if everyone confirms. Posting in a private topic counts as confirmation.
  11. Days - Days last about 14 days. Extensions may be granted if there are replacements.
  12. Activity - You must post at least once every 48 hours or I will Prod you. You then have 24 hours to post in the game thread or I will replace you. The activity timers run at half-speed on weekends. Players can request me to prod somebody early. This will only count as an official prod if you don't post before you would have been due for a prod.
  13. Vacation/Limited Access If you need to be absent for longer than this, you should declare V/LA in bold in the thread like this: [b]@Mod: I will be v/la until Thursday[/b]. While you are V/LA, you will be nudged once every 72 hours. Two nudges equals one prod. If you have not posted game advancing content in 7 days, regardless of V/LA status, you will be replaced.
  14. Prodging - A naked "prod dodge" does not reset the prod timer. To avoid being prodded/replaced for inactivity, include some game advancing content in your prodges, such as "got prodded; xxxx is still scum."
  15. Quoting - You may not quote (or copy paste) any private information into the thread, including your role PM and any mod communication.
  16. Voting - Votes must be in bold in the format VOTE: Plotinus or Vote: Plotinus. Strong preference for using vote tags instead of bold tags. Unvotes are nice but not required. If I think it’s a vote, it’s a vote, no tricks. Type [v]Plotinus[/v] to vote and [uv]Plotinus[/uv] to unvote.
  17. Lynching - Days end early when a simple majority of players (50% of living players + 1 rounded down) vote to lynch somebody. If a majority is not reached at deadline or if a majority of the players vote for no lynch, the day will end without a lynch. At evens, 50% is sufficient for no lynch.
  18. Twilight - Begins when a majority is reached and lasts until I lock the thread. You're still alive until I flip you so you can talk in any game threads you have access to until then, but no votes or unvotes will be counted.
  19. Night - Night lasts at least 48 hours. The night phase can be shortened if every living player -- even those with no night actions -- agrees to it and if I'm not busy.
  20. Action submissions - You may submit actions via PM (if town) or PT (if scum). If the actions are not submitted by the deadline then you do nothing. You can change your mind as many times as you like before the deadline.
  21. Reminders - If I don't hear from you about your night actions, I'll PM you 24 hours before the deadline. This doesn't count as a prod. If I still don't hear from you, you will take no action.
  22. Play to win - this particular game, not some future one, and keep it fun!
"If Plotfrog is scum, town should feel bad that scumfrog is the only person here with common sense" -- The Blue Blur

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 am

Newbie Setup
2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
MafiaMafia RoleblockerMafia RolecopMafia Goon
Row 1Town Cop and Town NeapolitanTown Cop and Town TrackerTown Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2Town Jailkeeper and Town DoctorTown Jailkeeper and Town TrackerTown Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3Town Cop and Town DoctorTown Neapolitan and Town DoctorTown Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by one mafia goons and five vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Mafia Roleblocker action takes precedence over a Town Jailkeeper action should that apply.

Mafia have access to their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Neapolitan, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neapolitan, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is [url]here[/url].

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a Town Neapolitan.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Vanilla Townie or Not Vanilla Townie. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a Mafia Rolecop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment. Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu May 10, 2018 10:37 am

All role PMs have been sent out (in the order of the signup list so timestamps mean nothing)! We will start in (expired on 2018-05-13 18:00:00) or when [8/9] people have confirmed, whichever happens sooner.

The above clock and any others used throughout this game will be accurate from the time you loaded the page.

Be aware that there is some scheduled downtime on Friday 11 May at 2AM EDT (6AM GMT). This shouldn't take more than an hour, so if the site is down when you stop by, don't worry, just come back a little bit later.

Plotinus
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 am

Official Vote Count 1.00

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

Everybody (0): Nobody

Not Voting (9): junijay, LaFlame, MafMen, Shoshin, falcon, Luco, Not_Mafia, wingedcatgirl, GuiltyLion

Deadline: (expired on 2018-05-25 15:30:00).

Mod notes: Good luck everyone!

Please take a moment to familiarise yourselves with my ruleset because I have some rules you may not have encountered in other games before regarding animated gifs, tiny text, prodging and perhaps some other things!

Everybody has confirmed! We can start early!

Not_Mafia
Smash Hit

Pronoun: He

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 8:24 am

FFFFAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLCCCCCCC
CCCOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN PPPPUUUU
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNCC
CCCHHHHHHHH

VOTE: Falcon
Stomp/Attract/Milk Drink/Rollout

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 8:25 am

heyo

pedit: oh dear lord

wingedcatgirl
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 am

Good meowing everynyan.

Also jesus hell why, with the giant red text.
Name: Sylvi or Tempest
Pronoun: She or they
Sleep schedule: Terrible
I forgot what else I was going to put here

Luco
Goon

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 am

Oh nice an early start

VOTE: not_mafia MY EYES

junijay
Townie

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am

Hello everyone! I'm glad we're starting early!

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am

Hi everyone!

I'm your IC this game, which means I will do my best to lead by example and help answer any questions you have about mechanics or theory. There are a lot of resources on the wiki and the discussion forums if you'd like to read more about how mafia is generally played, I suggest checking those out if you're looking for useful material. I will offer my thoughts as we play, but remember, I'm just as likely to be scum as anybody else. I will not lie about terms and theory to my advantage, and I'll try to make it clear if I'm speaking as IC or as GL-the-player when I answer questions.

A few of the big points:

Activity - Try to check in at least once a day, interacting with the latest content as much as possible. Town won't win if we don't have information and can't work with and talk to eachother, so lurking and avoiding the thread hurts the game.

Lynch mechanics - Players are lynched as soon as they hit the majority of votes needed (today, that is 5 votes). You cannot undo a 5th "hammer" vote, so please do not hammer until the player has had time to claim and everyone else has chimed in for/against the lynch. Speed hammering a lynch is very pro-scum, as it cuts discussion short and increases the risk of hammering a power role. Don't do it. If you want to hammer, declare "intent to hammer" a day or two before you actually intend to do it. It's also considered common courtesy to announce when you are putting a player at "L-1", when they are one vote away from lynch, so that no one will accidentally hammer.

Claiming your role - It is important to keep your role hidden from scum, and only claim when someone has given intent to hammer you. Scum gain useful information from finding out who are VTs and who are Power Roles (PRs), as they need to get rid of the PRs - don't make their work easier for them!

Mentality - Mafia can get intense sometimes. I've certainly had games that have made me mad, but please remember in the end it is just a game, and there's no excuse to insult or attack other people. Keep your arguments focused on others' play, and remember that someone with a scum role PM is not a bad person, their wincon requires them to trick the town into lynching you (or other townies). Part of my job is to promote a positive and healthy game environment in this game, so I will jump in if I think you are crossing the line. And if you find yourself getting frustrated or upset with what people are saying, take a break from the game for a few hours and come back with a cooler head.

Also, mafia is difficult! Don't be dismayed if your reads are off or if you don't know who's scum, even the most experienced scumhunters have bad games. The most important thing is to just post your honest thoughts as you have them.
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 11:12 am

VOTE: wingedcatgirl

MafMen/wingedcatgirl/junijay - why no vote?
"I think I no longer believe in monsters as faces in the floor or feral infants or vampires or whatever. I think at seventeen now I believe the only real monsters might be the type of liar where there's simply no way to tell. The ones who give nothing away"

junijay
Townie

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am

I figured we would all deliberate and come to a consensus together who we thought was suspicious. But it is too early for suspicions. VOTE: Falcon

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 1:54 pm

In post 11, GuiltyLion wrote:VOTE: wingedcatgirl

rvs is stupid
that is why

Luco
Goon

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 4:00 pm

I've never played on a forum where its custom to open with a vote. Is that how it's done here?

Luco
Goon

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 4:02 pm

I mean, it's the first time I've ever seen people questioned for not starting the game with a random vote

Shoshin
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 4:49 pm

VOTE: MafMen

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 pm

In post 13, MafMen wrote:
In post 11, GuiltyLion wrote:VOTE: wingedcatgirl

rvs is stupid
that is why

I agree with you it is stupid, but I'm a fan of voting as it gets us out of RVS faster by giving everyone something to talk about and creating wagons

In post 15, Luco wrote:I mean, it's the first time I've ever seen people questioned for not starting the game with a random vote

I'm trying to get the game moving with that question. Most players here will normally open with a vote, though some players are more serious about it than others. Personally I'll usually try to vote someone who has already posted something that slightly pings me, or vote someone who already has a vote or two.

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:05 pm

what would there be to talk about?
a rvs vote?
that makes no sense

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:08 pm

what do you suggest we do instead?

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 pm

but you were pushing us to vote
i dont see why
its not a necessary thing for everyone to do
not everyone has to participate in RvS, especially when they dont like it

Shoshin
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 pm

In post 19, GuiltyLion wrote:what do you suggest we do instead?

Let's lynch MafMen.

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:11 pm

In post 21, Shoshin wrote:
In post 19, GuiltyLion wrote:what do you suggest we do instead?

Let's lynch MafMen.

k bb

GuiltyLion
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:20 pm

In post 20, MafMen wrote:but you were pushing us to vote
i dont see why
its not a necessary thing for everyone to do
not everyone has to participate in RvS, especially when they dont like it

eh I think you might be reading me a bit wrong

I agree not everyone has to vote

I was asking why you didn't vote, you said RVS is stupid. Then I made the point that I believe voting gets us out of RVS faster. A bunch of isolated "your name is funny" votes don't move us out of RVS, but something like 3-4 votes on another player might, because then people might dislike the way [x] jumped on the wagon, or the way that [y] ignored it. I feel like you're interpreting what I said as some kind of idea that it's mandatory to random vote, which was never really my point.

if you don't like RVS and also don't want to vote, then the best thing to do is ask people why they do stuff and vote as soon as you have the beginnings of a scumread.

MafMen
Goon

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

thats the plan

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games