volxen
Egix96 replaced oofitsemily
Auro replaced alien
Lamees replaced KittyTack, Sampath927
DVa NotNova
BBmolla (SE)
Trendall (SE)
Thor665 (IC)

SE - indicates a Semi-Experienced player, a player who has played at least two games on MafiaScum.net
IC - indicates the Inexperience-Challenged player, a player who has volunteered for a teaching position in this Newbie Game
(their play is governed by the MafiaWiki article on being a good IC)

Spoiler: Alive
Auro, a Mafia Goon, survived.
DVa, a Mafia Goon, survived.

Spoiler: Dead
Trendall, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 1.
volxen, a Town Doctor, was killed Night 1.
Lamees, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 2.
wantsome, a Vanilla Townie, was killed Night 2.
Thor665, a Vanilla Townie, was lynched Day 3.
Egix96, a Town Tracker, was endgamed Day 3.
BBmolla, a Vanilla Townie, was endgamed Day3.

Important Events:

| | |
| |
|
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Game Rules

General Rules/Game Etiquette
  1. Obey all Site-wide Rules.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private communication of any kind. This includes moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
Activity/Prods/Replacements
  1. Prods of missing players will be issued after 30 hours of no activity.
  2. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  3. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  4. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 30 hours please PM me or post in the thread to declare V/LA.
  5. I reserve the right to force replace players who need extensively long V/LA at my own discretion.
Deadlines
  1. Deadlines for this game will be 10 days for Day 1 and 7 days for following Day Phases. Night Phases will last 48 hours.
  2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
Player Actions/Voting/Player Death
  1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
  2. Votes must be bolded or use the [.vote] tags to be counted (e.g. Vote: Player or VOTE: Player).
  3. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes made using nicknames or abbreviations will be counted at my discretion. Fake vote gambits should be executed at your own peril. If I think its a vote, then its a vote.
Miscellaneous
  1. I will use Bolded Dark Blue (#004080) for Mod posts. Don't impersonate me. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to my discretion and will be handled as I see fit on a case-by-case basis.

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Setup Information
2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
MafiaMafia RoleblockerMafia RolecopMafia Goon
Row 1Town Cop and Town NeapolitanTown Cop and Town TrackerTown Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2Town Jailkeeper and Town DoctorTown Jailkeeper and Town TrackerTown Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3Town Cop and Town DoctorTown Neapolitan and Town DoctorTown Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by one mafia goons and five vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects. Mafia Roleblocker action takes precedence over a Town Jailkeeper action should that apply.

Mafia have access to their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Neapolitan, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3: Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3: Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neapolitan, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3: Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PM's
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is [url]here[/url].

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a Town Neapolitan.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Vanilla Townie or Not Vanilla Townie. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is PLAYERNAME who is a Maifa Goon/Roleblocker/Rolecop. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a Mafia Rolecop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment. Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Your partner is PLAYERNAME who is a Maifa Goon/Roleblocker. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

Your partner is PLAYERNAME who is a Maifa Goon/Rolecop. Together you share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at any time.

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Role PM's have been sent. Players have (expired on 2018-10-05 00:00:00) to confirm in the method described by their role PM.

The game will begin in (expired on 2018-10-04 00:00:00) if enough players have confirmed.

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 am

Update: I’m still waiting on a few confirmations so I’m going to hold off on starting the game for the time being. I’ll start searching for replacements for players who have not confirmed once the timer above has expired.

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am

wantsome, Egix96, and KittyTack replace ramiiin, oofitsemily and Sampath927 respectively. Those players have (expired on 2018-10-07 09:21:48) to confirm.

Day 1 will begin in (expired on 2018-10-06 09:22:21).

Micc
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 am

Everyone has confirmed. It is now Day 1.

Votecount 1.00Not Voting (9) - wantsome, volxen, Egix96, alien, KittyTack, NotNova, BBmolla, Trendall, Thor665

With 9 players alive it takes 5 votes to lynch.

The deadline for Day 1 is in (expired on 2018-10-16 11:45:00).

Trendall
Goon

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:10 am

Hey

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:05 pm

VOTE: alien
We didn't quite meet in my first game here, but here we are now! ;)

@Trendall, why no random vote?
Wiki
"See, when you can fly... short legs don't matter."

wantsome
Townie

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Hello everyone! New to the game but excited to try it out.

alien
Goon

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 pm

hey, it started.

I rolled Town Necrophiliac. I'll be examining all the dead for clues. You probably don't want to know what my night action is...

In post 8, Egix96 wrote:VOTE: alien

Yeah, here we are. So did you roll scum again? You can tell me. It's also suspicious that you spelled my name right with a lower case 'a'. No one does that.

VOTE: Egix96

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:52 pm

In post 10, alien wrote:hey, it started.

I rolled Town Necrophiliac. I'll be examining all the dead for clues. You probably don't want to know what my night action is...

In post 8, Egix96 wrote:VOTE: alien

Yeah, here we are. So did you roll scum again? You can tell me. It's also suspicious that you spelled my name right with a lower case 'a'. No one does that.

VOTE: Egix96

Ooh, OMGUS! To answer your rather loaded question, no, I did not :wink:
Gonna go to sleep soon, see all you guys in the morn... :yawn:
Wiki

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm

This is scum 100%, not changing my vote.

BBmolla
Open Book

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Serious vote btw, don’t like aliens first post at all, it’s very “haha look how funny and chummy I am.”

alien
Goon

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:00 pm

hmmm. It's the beginning. We just started. I just wanted to be a little light-hearted before things get serious, even if it could come off scummy in some way. Getting the feeling you're either mafia trying to pounce too hard or you don't realize this is RVS and that was my very first post...

though that'd be a weird start for mafia.

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 pm

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: alien

I'm down to blindly sheep BBMolla.

L-2

alien
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Just want to say that if I get speed lynched just because I wasn't serious in my opening post, Town better take a hard look at Thor and BB. Why an IC wouldn't even want to start off potentially getting someone speedlynched is scummy as heck.

omgus perhaps, but one guy says he's just going to tunnel me the whole game and Thor is being silly. And a lot of other players have not even said anything yet.
And we're ONLY ON PAGE 1.

VOTE: Thor This is ridiculous scum play and even and more ridiculous as Town.

NotNova
Goon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 pm

About time the game started! The wait had me fairly antsy by the end of it. Glad to see volxen and Thor here, let's hope this game is even better than the last :)

@wantsome and KittyTack, do you have any experience playing mafia outside of this site? How familiar are you with forum mafia play? Would you generally prefer playing town or scum?

In post 13, BBmolla wrote:Serious vote btw, don’t like aliens first post at all, it’s very “haha look how funny and chummy I am.”

I agree the way alien started might be interpreted as odd, but I'd like you to clarify - why do you feel a "chummy" attitude is more likely to come from scum!alien than town!alien?

alien wrote:hmmm. It's the beginning. We just started. I just wanted to be a little light-hearted before things get serious, even if it could come off scummy in some way. Getting the feeling you're either mafia trying to pounce too hard or you don't realize this is RVS and that was my very first post...

Can't help but feeling you're being pretty ambiguous here. Which of your two scenarios is more likely - scum!BB pushing your lynch too hard or town!BB misinterpreting your intentions? If you had to pick, is Thor scummier for jumping on your wagon or BB for starting it?

VOTE: Trendall
Your lack of an RVS vote sticks out to me, considering your SE status - why the one-word post? Any reason you wouldn't want to start the typical D1 process?

wantsome
Townie

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm

In post 17, NotNova wrote:@wantsome and KittyTack, do you have any experience playing mafia outside of this site? How familiar are you with forum mafia play? Would you generally prefer playing town or scum?

I have no experience with forum mafia whatsoever, but I have read a few games on the site and feel like I have a decent grasp on the game, although I still have a lot to learn.

alien wrote:Just want to say that if I get speed lynched just because I wasn't serious in my opening post, Town better take a hard look at Thor and BB. Why an IC wouldn't even want to start off potentially getting someone speedlynched is scummy as heck.

omgus perhaps, but one guy says he's just going to tunnel me the whole game and Thor is being silly. And a lot of other players have not even said anything yet.

I didn't necessarily view this play as a very serious wagon, I figured that Thor just wanted to put a little pressure to try to gather information and accelerate the random voting process. I don't think being at L-2 puts you at high risk of a speedlynch. Not sure how I feel about you getting this defensive about this early on. And you imply that your first post was serious and shouldn't hold much wait, but have you considered that BB's "100% scum" comment might also not be completely serious? I know he said his vote was serious, but jumping from that to "he's going to tunnel me the whole game" seems dramatic.

alien
Goon

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 pm

In post 17, NotNova wrote:
alien wrote:hmmm. It's the beginning. We just started. I just wanted to be a little light-hearted before things get serious, even if it could come off scummy in some way. Getting the feeling you're either mafia trying to pounce too hard or you don't realize this is RVS and that was my very first post...

Can't help but feeling you're being pretty ambiguous here. Which of your two scenarios is more likely - scum!BB pushing your lynch too hard or town!BB misinterpreting your intentions? If you had to pick, is Thor scummier for jumping on your wagon or BB for starting it?

And what exactly is ambiguous? My gut says Thor is more likely scum. BB's calling me out like that doesn't make much sense from a scum perspective imo. But that doesn't mean it's not a gutsy mafia play; I just don't know yet, as annoying as it is.

In post 18, wantsome wrote:
In post 17, NotNova wrote:@wantsome and KittyTack, do you have any experience playing mafia outside of this site? How familiar are you with forum mafia play? Would you generally prefer playing town or scum?

I have no experience with forum mafia whatsoever, but I have read a few games on the site and feel like I have a decent grasp on the game, although I still have a lot to learn.

alien wrote:Just want to say that if I get speed lynched just because I wasn't serious in my opening post, Town better take a hard look at Thor and BB. Why an IC wouldn't even want to start off potentially getting someone speedlynched is scummy as heck.

I didn't necessarily view this play as a very serious wagon, I figured that Thor just wanted to put a little pressure to try to gather information and accelerate the random voting process. I don't think being at L-2 puts you at high risk of a speedlynch. Not sure how I feel about you getting this defensive about this early on. And you imply that your first post was serious and shouldn't hold much wait, but have you considered that BB's "100% scum" comment might also not be completely serious? I know he said his vote was serious, but jumping from that to "he's going to tunnel me the whole game" seems dramatic.

It's really annoying to almost get lynched for an opening post that was just light-hearted. Like wth. And even more to have someone start a wagon by claiming I'm 100% mafia and they aren't changing their vote. Yeah, maybe I'm over-reacting, but how on earth am I supposed to feel about that? And then Thor sheeps him to put me at L-2. It's weird.

Like, I don't care. If you think that's scummy, then there's clearly nothing I can do about it to convince anyone. But I'm a bit annoyed by it. I wanted to play a game, not get possibly speed-lynched because somebody didn't like my NAI opening.

anyway, I'm stepping back. I got some stuff to do this weekend. If I get lynched for some reason, fine. I'm not really feeling this so far. I just hope people take a look at Thor or BB if it does happen.

volxen
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:24 am

@alien, if I understand you correctly, you believe Thor is more likely to be scum than BB because BB's vote for you was "gutsy"? BB said he found your "chummy" attitude to be suspect, and he voted for you on that basis. I'm not really sure that it's "gutsy" to vote for someone that you believe to be potentially engaging in scummy behavior. Why do you believe that is too "gutsy" of a move for scum to make? And isn't it reasonable for town!Thor to vote for you if he found your opening to be scummy, or at least because he wants to put pressure on you? It seems like the only reason you are being more critical of Thor over BB is because Thor joined your wagon later.

In any case, alien you have been quite defensive about all of this. I can understand that you don't like the fact that a wagon has developed against you quite quickly, but why are you being so dramatic about potentially being speed-lynched? Just because you are currently the leading wagon doesn't mean you will be lynched today, and it certainly doesn't mean people are going to rush to quickhammer you.

Your gameplay so far just feels off to me, particularly the fact that you are more annoyed by Thor sheeping BB than you are by BB's reasoning for voting for you. And in the last game I played with Thor, he correctly identified and voted for scum fairly early on on day one, so I'm content with sheeping him for now.

alien is now at L-1.

alien
Goon

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 am

I'm not sure about BB. I just said that a scum!BB would have to be pretty gutsy to open like he did. Thor on the other hand just throws up a vote.

And this is why I'm annoyed. Now you are sheeping the vote too and I'm at L-1. Though I appreciate you at least having a reason. But it appears my frustration is justified. If you don't believe me, look at the last game I played. I got two scum on me last game and almost lynched day 1 because of it. I was super defensive about it because the reasons I was being voted were trash and town didn't listen. I'll never understand why people think defensiveness is mafia aligned. It's not.

alien
Goon

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 am

In post 20, volxen wrote:Your gameplay so far just feels off to me, particularly the fact that you are more annoyed by Thor sheeping BB than you are by BB's reasoning for voting for you. And in the last game I played with Thor, he correctly identified and voted for scum fairly early on on day one, so I'm content with sheeping him for now.

Anyway, what are you getting here? BB just voted me, saying I'm 100% scum and he's not changing my vote. There's nothing there to reason. Either he's bad mafia or terrible town. I'm more concerned with Thor taking the opportunity to sheep and disappear than I am with a potentially bad town player.

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:50 am

alien, don't worry. You're not going to be lynched this early in the game, we've got nine more days to decide who to lynch. I think it would take a negative IQ for someone to hammer this quickly.

I still think that you might be town and that someone from the scum is trying to paint you in a bad light. Whether that be molla, Thor, or volxen, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm leaning towards Thor being the scum because I would not have expected someone as experienced as he is to "blindly sheep" another player. I find it hard to see a scum mindset in molla's opening tbh, and volxen must be very gutsy to put you up to l-1 like that.
Wiki

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:10 am

In post 20, volxen wrote:And in the last game I played with Thor, he correctly identified and voted for scum fairly early on on day one, so I'm content with sheeping him for now.

This seems like a rather dangerous thought to have, especially considering that you don't KNOW whether or not Thor is town (unless you're scum that is!). It could well be that Thor is scum, alien is town, and you sheeping the sheeper is exactly what Thor wants you to do.
Wiki

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games