Newbie 2079 | Open House | Game Over!!!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:32 am

Post by RH9 »

In post 944, Prism wrote:The difficulty with claiming doctor, and why it would have been even more advantageous to town, is that it does two things simultaneously:

1) Confirms you as real, as there is no setup with only a doctor
2) Gives you a report as there was no roleblocker, which as you saw directly led to her being mafia by default.

She had to either kill you or cc you, there was no way around it.
In post 945, Prism wrote:(She could have claimed doctor AND killed you, claiming roleblocked, but this would have again resulted in going against me. The whole point of her JK claim was to go against you, and there was mechanically no way to keep both of us in the mix with the way claims were sorted.)
Oh, I see. She was forced into either claiming Jailkeeper, or to counterclaim one of us. I guess that she could have claimed Doctor, killed me and say that you were the Mafia Roleblocker. Or she could have claimed VT, killed me, and say that you were Mafia Goon. I guessed that luck wasn't in her favour because due to me confirming CheekyTeeky, she had to get either you or me eliminated and convince CheekyTeeky. To be fair, I almost investigatec her on Night 2 but ended up deciding to investigate CheekyTeeky. I also considered investigating catboi. To be fair, the only person who I never considered investigating at any point before Day 3 was camelCasedSnivy. Had they not self-voted, I might have investigated them after you.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:38 am

Post by MargotRosa »

In post 943, RH9 wrote:
In post 936, Prism wrote:You also put a lot of stock in the reports on myself in Cheeky. This is a correct logical process that leads to the right conclusion, but I don't want to make sure you don't miss another way to realize Margot was scum that last day: JK and cop simply can't coexist in this open setup, therefore she was scum by default in two different ways with the knowledge you had.
To be fair, I kind of noticed but I thought that she could argue back that I was Mafia because Cop is way easier to fake than Jailkeeper. I was actually surprised when she claimed Jailkeeper instead of Doctor, which would make sense as she could say that she saved CheekyTeeky. I thought that if she claimed Doctor, she could go on about finally protecting somebody. To be fair, I feel like she did a good job claiming a role which would not coexist with Cop. I feel like that if I was Mafia, I would have definitely claimed a easily fakeclaimable role like Doctor which can be easily justified and produce fake information for. Also, I did find it a good effort on her part in claiming that I was roleblocked when she could easily have said that she protected CheekyTeeky. And really, 'protecting' would imply that she is either Doctor or Jailkeeper. I feel like she did such a good job that I only realised the truth in Day 4, through PoE. And really is Jailkeeper basically Combined Doctor Roleblocker?
I claimed Jailkeeper not just because I knew we were in a column three setup, and would have to come up with a story as to why noone had claimed another Town power role.

More importantly, in my mind, I did it because it made the stakes very high. One thing I didn't like about where I had found myself was that the play had felt very automatic. That's why d3 had finished so quickly.

I needed to be able to come in immediately on d4 with something big that not only suggested I was innocent, but made players question their entire approach to the game up until that point. I kind of approached it as "I am not just accusing RH9 of being scum, I'm trying to accuse everyone of almost throwing the game". And I felt like the second half of that was actually a much easier case to make, because I genuinely think that d3 especially was bad, and I think the Connor elimination was a stroke of good luck. If I managed to successfully make that case, without being clear that was the case I was trying to make, I've just convinced Town of something that is genuinely true, and therefore seem much more trustworthy with respect to everything else I'm trying to say

I think my job was made much harder by the fact that the two people I was convincing were both SEs. I think too it makes sense that Prism got the closest to falling for it, given that they seemed pretty annoyed with themself for the d3 play. Cheeky had played quite well all game, and making them feel responsible for a confused d4 was very unlikely to work.
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:39 am

Post by MargotRosa »

So it was an attempt at some funky emotional manipulation leveraged on the fact that Town had played sub-optimally. I don't know how solid a strat that actually is, but it was fun to have given it a go nonetheless
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:45 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Margot well done, your play last day phase was fantastic. I look forward to watching your progress, you have a lot of potential.

GG town.
<3 xx
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:49 am

Post by RH9 »

To be fair, I feel like since CheekyTeeky was already confirmed by me, it would impossible to counterclaim them. And I just remembered, I almost investigated you twice. The first time, I switched to flow trap and then to DaTacoX. The second time, I switched to CheekyTeeky. And I just realised that I almost got you eliminated on Day 2 and Day 3, if I hadn't switched. And that is why I ended up with knowing that three people were confirmed Town.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:53 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

RH9 it's incredible scum decided to leave you alive the whole game. When you were asking about cop/doc you pretty much outed yourself. Usually you wouldn't have made it past N1 but I think that's what made the game so interesting on the last stretch.
<3 xx
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Usually I am a spam poster but I have been genuinely busy lately so I apologize for my super average performance. Prism is right, we got lucky with Connor and if camel hadn't thought timer had run out I probably wouldn't have hammered, though I like to think that Camel would have hammered instead.
<3 xx
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:15 pm

Post by Prism »

In post 952, MargotRosa wrote:So it was an attempt at some funky emotional manipulation leveraged on the fact that Town had played sub-optimally. I don't know how solid a strat that actually is, but it was fun to have given it a go nonetheless
It is both very solid and completely out of the range of the site, whose collective scum meta is stagnant and so focused on getting townread as the end-all that they have blinders on.

You are right that experience served as a barrier to this tactic. While I don't speak for Cheeky, it failed for me simply because I had been there before and the position of having fucked up was rote routine. I wasn't tilted, just ready to be right or wrong for the millionth time.
Prism
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Prism
Any
Dispersion of Insight
Dispersion of Insight
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:16 pm

Post by Prism »

I greatly look forward to playing again, and I hope I roll scum.
MargotRosa
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
MargotRosa
she/her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Post by MargotRosa »

Me too. This game was really good.

I got the emotional manipulation idea from Titus in Lemon Demon. There, I Town locked her very early because she knew exactly which buttons to press to make me like her. I figured tho, if I was going to do something similar, it would be far more devious, and based in making people trust me because I've convinced them they can't trust themselves . Sounds a bit evil honestly, but I think that's why it's fun lol
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:13 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Mafia and Rh9's PT has been released!