Dance of the Title Thread: No Duck-running Allowed Edition

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
brassherald
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2525  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:37 pm

I only like my rolls Kaiser.
I have semi-photographic memory in that I remember a few photos.

Isis
Best in Class

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2526  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 pm

I'm fundamentally opposed to titles based on unusual rand sequences. They don't actually indicate anything about the user.
"it's your turn to die!"
"this sounded meaner than intended"
"it sounds worse the more i think about it please someone delete this"
- Kanna, to Isis

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #2527  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Korina has a title about being associated with cults.
All the scumbuddies are making a fuss,
But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that bus.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2528  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:18 pm

Got it thru an event tho
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group!
Join the Get to Know a Scummer queue now!

animorpherv1
Honey Trap

Post Post #2529  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:25 pm

I believe the problem with the title isn't the cult association, it's that the title is based entirely off of good RNG. When I think Cult Leader, I think of an incredibly charming, yet cunning individual who would gladly sacrifice anything for their personal gain. Which isn't what has been described.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #2530  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Is Drew’s general personality cult leader like? Either way I like it but that would legitimize the title very well
“Pipple pyii!”

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #2531  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:28 pm

In fact animorpher seems to think the same thing?
“Pipple pyii!”

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2532  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:32 pm

I'd never make the association without him having randed cult leader 140 times.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group!

northsidegal
Best Mechanical Play/Excellent Moderation/Best Setup

Post Post #2533  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:08 am

In post 2526, Isis wrote:I'm fundamentally opposed to titles based on unusual rand sequences. They don't actually indicate anything about the user.

i think that recognizing interesting, funny, or otherwise notable events that happen to people are another good and historical purpose of titles. even if it doesn't reflect on the user's personality or anything, it reflects something notable about them

Aristophanes
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2534  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:43 am

Mastina does have a point here...

I will consider this product and/or service.

The town antirecruiter is hilarious tbh
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;) - Jingle

This avatar was brought to you by Panzerjager

animorpherv1
Honey Trap

Post Post #2535  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:48 pm

In post 2533, northsidegal wrote:
In post 2526, Isis wrote:I'm fundamentally opposed to titles based on unusual rand sequences. They don't actually indicate anything about the user.

i think that recognizing interesting, funny, or otherwise notable events that happen to people are another good and historical purpose of titles. even if it doesn't reflect on the user's personality or anything, it reflects something notable about them

And I'm all for memorable events being titled for (hello, my own title) but this isn't memorable or even good.

Here's my reasoning

Korina has a similar title for different reasons. Anyone who sees both titles without knowing will assume the two are related. Strike one.
The event of "rolling cult leader six times straight" isn't particularly memorable (unless you have a fondness for math), nor something that he had any choice over (unless we count as not signing up for the game as a choice). Strike two.
It doesn't fit his personality. Strike three.

Title's outta here.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

Nancy Drew 39
Survivor

Post Post #2536  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:08 pm

Nominate Hectic for “Mad Hatter”

He has an endearing but wild sense of humour and both his posting as well as the games he’s modded, totally reflect that, so I think that title would suit him well.
Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

Alisae
lolbalance

Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #2537  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 pm

i'll nth mad hatter ig
Discord: Alisae#3437
GTKAS Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Kanna
Innocent Child

Post Post #2538  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:51 pm

nth mad hatter!

i think it suits hectic's personality really well! also, he always has a hat on
"I love Kanna" ~ Isis

Chara
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: It

Post Post #2539  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

nth mad hatter. i like it in part because of Hectic's fondness for roleplaying many different characters, though i only have personal experience with Undertale. as in "man of many hats".
"Sibling," Farkran asked, starting slowly.
"The CORE is full of lasers, and Chemist1422's entire existence depends on his eye. If he looks into a laser, he will almost certainly die. Did you think about that?"
"Oh yes, my brother. I love thinking about that."

Nahdia
Scheherazade

Pronoun: They

Post Post #2540  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:50 pm

nth it as well. Mayor Top Hat is truly mad
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes." -Zaphkael, 2020

Pink Ball
Silver Bullet

Post Post #2541  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm

nth mad hatter
"Your intentions are not defined by how things went, but how things could've gone." (Ball, 2019)

mastina
False Prophet

Post Post #2542  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 am

In post 2533, northsidegal wrote:
I actually feel similarly to this, in that I feel like titles based around humorous rng and disproportionately rolling certain roles are good, but I recognize also that there's a similar title for Korina not based on Korina's RNG but rather Korina's personality, and that the title is likely to fade quickly. I want more discussion before making a decision here.

In post 2541, Pink Ball wrote:nth mad hatter
The support is there and I actually get it, so the impetus is on any opposition to the title to give any reason not to move forward with it:
48 hours on Mad Hatter for Hectic:
(expired on 2020-09-15 06:10:49)
Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2543  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:27 am

mad hatter is great!

animorpherv1
Honey Trap

Post Post #2544  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Mad Hatter is good.

Cult Recruiter, on the other hand, lacks redeeming qualities.

Isis
Best in Class

Post Post #2545  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Mad hatter is good.
"it's your turn to die!"
"this sounded meaner than intended"
"it sounds worse the more i think about it please someone delete this"
- Kanna, to Isis

Jingle
Ring a Bell?

Post Post #2546  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:20 pm

In post 2535, animorpherv1 wrote:Korina has a similar title for different reasons. Anyone who sees both titles without knowing will assume the two are related. Strike one.
The event of "rolling cult leader six times straight" isn't particularly memorable (unless you have a fondness for math), nor something that he had any choice over (unless we count as not signing up for the game as a choice). Strike two.
It doesn't fit his personality. Strike three.

Eh.

First of all, the two titles are vaguely related, it just takes a bit of knowledge of the players in question to figure that out. Both of them signed up for basically every game with cults in them for a long period of time because both of them like cults a lot. Drew randed cult leader a ton, Korina has actively campaigned to get more cult games going. But both of them undoubtedly have a large fondness for cults and cult games.

(For reference, Drew was also in: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=81570, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81744, viewtopic.php?f=56&t=81273, all of which had cults. Him being a cult leader via gamblers fallacy was a topic in at least one of them.)

Second, it probably wouldn't be memorable if Drew hadn't leaned into the curve. From a recent game:

Subject: Redneck Mafia GAME OVER PARTNER!

Doctor Drew wrote:Also, obligatory......'Swear I am not 3p this time guys' post.

As it stands, it is fairly memorable as evidenced by the pattern Hectic brought up starting literally a year ago and Hectic still remembering it.

I'm not a big fan of the title, but I don't think the grounds on which you're arguing against it seem particularly strong.
"I know there are people in the world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that!" - Tom Lehrer

bugspray
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: They

Post Post #2547  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:23 am

I nominate Datisi for easy to bully.
MY PRONOUNS ARE THEY/THEM

do not assume my posts follow coherency they do not imagine that every time i post i put half of my knowledge into a clone and then the clone murders me

Previous
[ + ]

Return to Player Titles