Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Chevre »

Hello everyone! I’m Chevre, and as MafiaScum’s resident Title Fairy I hold dominion over this subforum and the distribution of player titles.

What are player titles?

Player titles are the little snippets that are located under each player’s username. For most of us, it’s a pre-determined Mafia role based on post count in Mafia games:
0 posts – Watcher
1 post – Ninja
2 posts – Townie
100 posts – Goon
1000 posts – Mafia Scum
5000 posts – Jack of All Trades
10000 posts - Survivor
However, it is a long-standing tradition on MafiaScum to give out custom titles as gifts to those users who were integral to a notable event or possess notable traits or quirks that make them outstanding members of the community. These titles are often thought of as gifts, and if you understand this basic tenet, you’ll soon see why the long line of Title Fairies haves adopted guidelines to keep this process fair, organized, and running smoothly.

How does a user get a title?

1. ANY user can nominate ANY other user for a title. Of course, this comes with caveats:

- You cannot and should not nominate yourself for a title. You wouldn’t give yourself a special gift such as this! Nominations from others indicates that you’ve done something notable in the MS community that stands out and makes this site a more enjoyable place to be!
- There’s no hard-and-fast rule on how many posts you need to have or how many months you need to have been on the site to be nominated for a title, but we do want to give users time to develop and grow comfortable with the community before we start handing out titles willy-nilly.
2. Upon nomination, the title is up for discussion on its merits and weaknesses.
Users can come out in support of a title if they so choose, or suggest amendments to improve the title. (Not sure what makes a good or bad title? Keep reading!)
3. If a title nomination gains support from five other users, I’ll give my input, and if I approve, I’ll let the user know of their potential title (if they haven’t clued in to the discussion already!) via PM and make sure they approve.
It’s always important to make sure gifts are actually wanted! Meanwhile, the title will remain up for discussion for about 48 extra hours, to work out any remaining discussions and issues.
4. Once the title is approved, I’ll update it! Someone will be the proud owner of a shiny new title that shows their value as a member of MafiaScum.

What makes for a good (or bad) title?

1. Because avatars aren’t permanent, titles related to a user’s avatar are strongly discouraged.
Think of your fellow users as teens constantly going through different fads and stages; you don’t want your gift to get stale in just a few months!
2. While usernames
are
permanent, they shouldn’t be a major reason for any given title.
That being said, usernames can lead to clever wordplay or connotation, so they aren’t totally out of the picture. Essentially, usernames can be SOMEthing to consider, but they most definitely should not be the MAIN thing.
3. Between real-life meetups, Skype, Discord, and other avenues, MafiaScum has a ton of ways for users to interact off-site, and sometimes these interactions generate the best title nomination ideas. However, it’s important that these titles maintain a sense of relevance on MafiaScum beyond the time of the interaction.
If a title isn’t fairly clear from a general read of the user’s posts, there should be a good fraction of users who can explain the reasoning behind a title.
4. While nominations stemming from events, incidents or interactions in the Speakeasy and Get to Know a Scummer subforums are fair game, it’s important to remember that not all members have chosen to have access to these subforums and thus they may not have a wide relevance or appeal.

5. Titles shouldn’t insult, harass, or abuse ANY player.
This, after all, is part of the site rules! Users do have to accept a title nomination, so don’t bother suggesting something that isn’t going to get accepted anyway.
6. Remember how you shouldn’t nominate yourself for a title? Similarly, try not to involve yourself too much if at all in the discussion, support, and amendment process.
As it has been said so many times, these titles can be thought of gifts, and this is kind of like a surprise party. You’re free to return the gift to the store and reject the title at the end, but we’re not going to let you pick your gift right off the shelf.
7. Profanity can be humorous and relevant, but at the moment, it does not have a place in player titles.

8. As with everywhere else on the site, don’t discuss ongoing games and do not use them for title nominations.
Wait until the game has finished—at that point, you may find that the spark-of-the-moment idea you had during the game no longer applies!
9. OK, so that’s a lot of NOs, to be honest. So what
does
make a good title?
There’s no tried-and-true formula, but the best titles combine multiple elements to encapsulate the user in just a few words. They use wordplay in a humorous manner but are by no means forced. If you ask a handful of users why User A has Title Z, at least one should give a solid reason. They have a lasting appeal and accessibility.
10. Branching off the previous point, it is sometimes the case that titles age poorly. In consideration of this, Previously-titled users may be nominated for a new title.
It is important to note, however, that the old title may hold a personal meaning for the user and as such they are free to reject new nominations.

So what is going on here?

- This thread serves as a place for the nomination and discussion of potential titles. Tangents happen, but don’t get too off-topic; we have a wonderful General Discussion just over there for that sort of thing!
- Joking title nominations and jokes are okay—in moderation. We all want to have fun, but it’s important to know our limits and keep discussion title-centric. I have the ability to ban users from posting in the Title Fairy if their posts are not relevant or useful.
- If you have comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions about the Title Fairy process or titles in general, let me know via PM. If I can’t give you a satisfactory answer, or if the issues are above me, speak to zoraster or Thesp.
- The guidelines in this post are always up for reconsideration and amendment as the site changes. That being said, the Title Fairy’s rulings are final.

Titles Awarded

SleepyKrew - Did His Job (5/25/2016)
lalaladucks - Best Newcrummer (6/4/2016)
Cheetory6 - MS Painter (6/9/2016)
GreyICE - Fifty Shades (6/18/2016)
Ranger - {Top Tier} (6/18/2016)
Thestatusquo - Shea (6/18/2016)
BROseidon - Expert Marxman (6/28/2016)
JokeExplainBot - The Joke / Your Head (6/28/2016)
Zulfy - was robbed (6/28/2016)
Psyche - mr. personality (7/13/2016)
Equinox - Shot Count (7/16/2016)
ConManMick - Dear Derry (10/16/2016)
Lady Lambdadelta - Nekonfidante (11/5/2016)
CuddlyCaucasian - Professor of Being a Dog (11/5/2016)
Mina - The Shipwright (11/8/2016)
animorpherv1 - Honey Trap (11/13/2016)
Nahdia - Scheherazade (11/13/2016)
Shadoweh - Idol Hands (1/26/2017)
Killthestory - Rap It Up (2/10/2017)
Pine - In Your Head (2/17/2017)
Frozen Angel - Queen Shifty (2/22/2017)
Firebringer - Trail Blazer (2/22/2017)

Previous Title Fairy threads can be found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Of course, they're all collected in the new Player Titles subforum, so it shouldn't be too hard to go through the archives if you are so inclined. A wiki page which serves to list player titles and their reasonings can be found here.

A special thank you to Sugar, PolarBoy, mathcam, Thok, Oman, TheButtonmen, and SleepyKrew, who held this position before me and made it the wonderful thing it is today!
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Post by Chevre »

OK, a few things to begin. First, to start I have pretty much taken SleepyKrew’s guidelines as they were and just reworded them, for the most part. We’ll see if that changes in the future, but I’m inclined to say that I like the way things are set up. Let me know if you see anything in the first post that doesn’t make sense or needs reworking.

Second: Any outstanding bans are going to stay in place for the time being, and I will review these in the near future. From what I can tell, I do not think any bans SleepyKrew made were egregious or out-of-order.
- - -

Let’s start things off with a bang!

If I’m correct, the only real outstanding title nomination on the floor at the moment is Persivul’s nomination of drmyshottyizsik for
BUSSED SO HARD!
I’ll outright say that I am inclined to agree with the ruling of SleepyKrew on this nomination and reject it as a title, for several reasons.

To start with Persivul’s initial reasoning, which concerns Open 634, it’s certainly true that drmyshottyizsik was “bussed so hard.” However, it doesn’t really feel that extraordinary or special. Post-game chats mainly consist of shotty posting “bussed so hard” and not too many people react to it or pick up on it.

Let’s add on the fact that being bussed isn’t necessarily something to celebrate. I could maybe see
Bussin’ So Hard
if shotty was doing the bussing and it was a consistent behavior over games. But all this title discussion is central to just one game. There’s not even a reputation that shotty gets bussed quite often during games on this site. “Bussed” also means that shotty technically isn’t the cause of the moment. Maxous and SirCakez could’ve had pretty much any user as their third scumpartner and bussed them. Who knows, maybe if I had joined this game and posted “bussed so hard!” following my Day 1 lynch, we could be discussing a new title for me instead.

If one looks at the supporters of “Bussed So Hard”, most if not all were somewhat involved in Open 634. I want to compare this to a hypothetical situation where all those involved in Survivor #2016 started nominating CuddlyCaucasian for “good point monica” or something like that. It’s too game-specific. Most people who weren’t in 634 aren’t responding positively to this nomination, so I don’t think it’s a good title, even if it did get 5+ supporters.

As a final note, I think this is a fairly one-dimensional title for a character such as shotty. Its relevance lies in one Open game in which shotty was lynched on Day 1. I think there will be a better, more encompassing fit for a shotty title in the future.

So, as of now, I’m am ending discussion on any permutation of the
bussed so hard
title for drmyshottyizsik.

- - -

The floor is now open for new title nominations.
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by BipolarChemist »

*swipes up*

<3
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

nominate Cheery Dog for
Kayak
To be clear: quack
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by N »

Nominate SlepyKrew for
Did His Job
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
BipolarChemist
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
BipolarChemist
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:39 pm

Post by BipolarChemist »

In post 4, N wrote:Nominate SlepyKrew for
Did His Job
seconded!!!!
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:40 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Nominate Psyche for
Title Fight
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:41 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 5, BipolarChemist wrote:
Did His Job
seconded!!!!
3rded I guess
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Post by UpTooLate »

I think Snark Attack is quite appropriate for Sleepy though.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by ConManMick »

In post 7, Ircher wrote:
Did His Job
seconded!!!!
3rded I guess
4theded I suppose
"As everyone knows there is a special guardian angel for drunkards and lovers"
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Post by ConManMick »

Actually I would like to bring up a previous nomination that was blatantly ignored and swept ibder the carpet
nominate sleepykrew for his height and mass
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

idgi
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

In post 3, SleepyKrew wrote:nominate Cheery Dog for
Kayak
2nd

i got u bae
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 7, Ircher wrote:
Did His Job
seconded!!!!
3rded I guess
4th'd!
I love it!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Ninja'd, so that's a 5th.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by ConManMick »

In post 12, Flameaxe wrote:
Kayak
2nd

i got u bae
3rd
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

May I ask why on Kayak?
- Jingle
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Post by ConManMick »

In post 14, Aristophanes wrote:Ninja'd, so that's a 5th.
Needs a synonym of guess
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

ego for drama
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Post by dramonic »

drama for ego
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:33 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 15, ConManMick wrote:
In post 12, Flameaxe wrote:
Kayak
2nd

i got u bae
3rd
4th let kayak free
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

Cheery Dog already has that Title why are you guys nomming for it?
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Post by ConManMick »

In post 21, Alchemist21 wrote:Cheery Dog already has that Title why are you guys nomming for it?
We want it changed
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

We want to reverse it so that it's Kayak instead of Kayak, with the order flipped around.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm

Post by zoraster »

Ego