Dance of the Title Fairy: Accepting Applications

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #5225 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 am

Post by mastina »

In post 5220, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 5218, Mathdino wrote:
Nominate Alisae for 'lolbalance"

No spoiler, no rainbow text, if people want those they can get added on later
+n many times over
think this says something philosophical about alisae beyond mafia even
I mean.
That was what I was trying to convey at the time.
It's not just modding, it's Alisae in general.
So yes,
Nth lolbalance
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #5226 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 am

Post by Ellibereth »

supported lolbalance rainbowtexted
supporting it now without
FLASH OF GREEN
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5227 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:03 am

Post by Mathdino »

Why Alisae should get "lolbalance":

A lot of this discussion has already been had. I'm going to more preemptively address a lot of the issues people had with the title.

1. Alisae has joined the canon of famous MS moderators. There are only so many users who are very well known for their moderation. Tarhalindur, early AniX, Varsoon, mastina, FakeGod, RadiantCowbells, xRECKONERx, etc. This is about more than being a good moderator -- it's about their games and setups having personalities in themselves.
Spoiler: Examples
Everyone knows a Tarhalindur game is going to be an insane clusterfuck of mod lies/intervention and changing roles/alignments. Everyone knows a Reckoner game is going to be an irreverent curse-laden take on something, with fucked up roles/mechanics to match. Everyone knows a FakeGod game is going to be crisp, light professionally written, and beautiful looking in a very Victorian way, often honing in on a particular mechanic..

Everyone knows an Alisae game is going to be lolbalanced. There's a certain feel to Alisae design. It's not irreverent in the flavour, or the concept, but in the complete and total abuse of otherwise valid mafia theme mechanics in the roles. Some examples:
  • From Team Mafia:
    • Mechanic Seer Loud Fruit Vending Rolecop Suiciding Beloved Princess Arsonist
    •  Hideous Compulsive Neighbourizing Modified Doctor
    • Compulsive 1-shot Neighbourizing Cupid Modified Captain
  • Some other stuff:
    • Disloyal 1-shot-Modified Compulsive-Loyal-Weak-Vigilante Inventor (I had to upload this PM to the wiki)
    • Day/Night 1 Compulsive Strongman Suicide Bomber Day 2 Self-Reviving Day Dreaming God/Delayed Entry Backup Vig 1-shot Self-Cloner
    • Self-Upgrading Ninja Serial Killing Refexive Neighbourizing Doctor Conditional Alt Wincon/1-shot Astronaut Conditional Roleblocking Poisoner
    • Hydra Cycle Doc Poison Doctor Conditional Suiciding Perma Hydra Roleblocker Vanillalizer/Modified Hiding Inventor
This is the kind of shit that would make any sane person say "What the absolute fuck are you thinking?" to which Alisae would respond with
"¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lolbalance."

And then you look at the role PMs some more and realise that these roles actually DO make sense, and in some twisted fucking way, they DO work with each other, and there IS a sense of continuity in the games they run. It's like Alisae is balancing mafia games from a completely different planet in a different galaxy. But on that planet, Alisae is the single most professional mod there is.

2. Along those lines, Alisae is one of the very few people onsite known for their outspoken opinions on balance. Mulch and mhsmith are probably the primary others, with shout-outs to the Open Review crowd and also mastina.

Again, Alisae isn't known for balancing standard MS games, or even standard MS bastard games (like wgeurts for example), but they ARE known for coming up with a twisted sense of balance for the twisted universe that their games take place in.

Alisae games chuck our sense of balance out the window in favour of things like "Day/Night 1 Compulsive Strongman Suicide Bomber Day 2 Self-Reviving Day Dreaming God/Delayed Entry Backup Vig 1-shot Self-Cloner".

They have STRONG opinions on balance that aren't even really in line with or against MS views on balance, but are more orthogonal in a way. Disliking things producing guilties, a passionate hatred for multiball and badly done third parties, etc.

3. It's worded "lolbalance" because that's how Alisae talks.
It's kinda this
How to describe it
Basically
There's no polish.
Or even sense.
But there is WHIMSY!
It's short and sweet and scattered.
Kinda like their game concepts!
Do you get it now?
Good.
ty for reading.

4. Lastly, I agree that it says something about Alisae's personality. Oscar Wilde said "everything in moderation, including moderation".

Alisae burns that phrase to the ground in every post they make.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5228 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

Post by Mathdino »

tl;dr

1. Alisae is a canonically famous mod and "lolbalance" describes their games better than anyone else's.
Alisae is NOT a bad mod or a bad designer, their games just aren't anything like standard MS theme games or MS bastard/role madness games.

2. Alisae has outspoken personal views on balance that largely run orthogonal to typical MS views. Alisae is known for this.

3. "lolbalance" being worded that way is part of the meme.

4. It sums up Alisae's persona onsite.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5229 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

Post by Aristophanes »

Ya
Nth lolbalance
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #5230 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:12 am

Post by Chickadee »

also
nth lolbalance
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5231 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 am

Post by beeboy »

nth
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5232 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Nth
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #5233 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 5212, TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 5211, Mathdino wrote:Yeah except Anix wasn't titled for the things that made him annoying years ago
Or for the gimmicks that he constantly pushes
That's just literally factually incorrect? He was literally titled for that, hell he was title twice for it.
He's not wrong. The only reason I didn't get a title for any of my ACTUAL modern gimmicks is there is too many and they kind of cancel each other out because how do you pick one to prioritize. (though it didn't stop people from trying, sometimes trying so much they squeeze multiple ones into the same title). And really, me talking about how I invented uPick is one of my OLDEST gimmicks and me beetlejuicing is really just the uniting factor of me spreading my gimmicks to the world.

It should also be noted that me posting 11 essay-length threads over the course of one day (and crashing the entire site over it) got an entire Mafiascum holiday named after me, so we have certainly rewarded people with more for less annoying gimmicky things.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #5234 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Post by Psyche »

Ok 72 hours as well
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #5235 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 5233, AniX wrote:
In post 5211, Mathdino wrote:Yeah except Anix wasn't titled for the things that made him annoying years ago
That's just literally factually incorrect? He was literally titled for that, hell he was title twice for it.
He's not wrong. The only reason I didn't get a title for any of my ACTUAL modern gimmicks is there is too many and they kind of cancel each other out because how do you pick one to prioritize. (though it didn't stop people from trying, sometimes trying so much they squeeze multiple ones into the same title). And really, me talking about how I invented uPick is one of my OLDEST gimmicks and me beetlejuicing is really just the uniting factor of me spreading my gimmicks to the world.

It should also be noted that me posting 11 essay-length threads over the course of one day (and crashing the entire site over it) got an entire Mafiascum holiday named after me, so we have certainly rewarded people with more for less annoying gimmicky things.
I'm thinking you may actually be the most titled scummer I can think of between Mafia Scum, Scully, 11th Hour and UCalled.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #5236 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 5224, TheButtonmen wrote:People who have been around long enough to know this subforum exists are more likely to have been exposed to the discussion forums where us old fogeys tend to congregate thus more titles tend to come from certain areas like SE or General Discussion.

It would be awesome if we could somehow promote the titling process with the newer crowd but it's not exactly a terribly well advertised or even visible area of the site.
Considering I last played, I think, before Obama was President and the title is really more a reference to how I act about uPick/my naming being mentioned in GD rather than a commendation (however well deserved one might be) for my amazing contributions, I wouldn't really classify mine as a Mafia title.
TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 5233, AniX wrote:

I'm thinking you may actually be the most titled scummer I can think of between Mafia Scum, Scully, 11th Hour and UCalled.
I have never, to my knowledge, ever actually had Mr. 11th Hour as a title.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #5237 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I swear I remember seeing you get one for that whole gimmick.

This is what getting old is like I guess huh.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5238 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Post by Mathdino »

@Anix: I think that's fair, and I think I accidentally drew a false comparison that I don't really agree with. Like, "lolbalance" is an Alisae gimmick, and "doot" is a vonflare gimmick, both deserved titles, and I think the titles you got were fairly deserved.

The point I was making was just that NK-Immune Miller Vig as a title wasn't JUST a single story people told; that story summed up Oman as a player/user in general. Same with "lolbalance" and "doot", which I think both represent Alisae and vonflare's personalities beyond the gimmick.

And all that was to say that I don't think we should be titling Ari for "that one story in the Speakeasy" when "Pays the Rent" was a gimmick pushed on him by other people, and doesn't really have anything to do with his personality or anything Ari actually does.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #5239 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Post by Pine »

+1 lolbalance
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #5240 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 5205, TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 5202, animorpherv1 wrote:Buttons what happened to you you used to nom good, non-shitty titles.
what if this is all a nefarious plot to make the tf thread actually on topic and active again with serious titling philosophy and nomination discussion

are you all falling for my long con

on that note id like to nom wrath for
The Proletariat
or
Fights for Us All
they aint perfect but its a good kick off point

areas to focus on being his communistic crusade against capitalism
Champion of The Proletariat, idk, something

Mulch should be Blast Processing
Mulch does what Nintendon't.
Etc

Alisae is cool but I don't really know how someone who joined this site after me is some old guard legend

Which isn't to say I disagree because I'm fine with this
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5241 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Post by Mathdino »

The hedgehog aspect of mulch is more important to capture than general idea of speed I think

And lol alisae has definitely made a name for themselves
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #5242 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Oh I believe, it's just weird to see

It's like errantparabola being part of site staff and beloved by all when I was in their first newbie game as an SE

Maybe I am old
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #5243 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 5237, TheButtonmen wrote:I swear I remember seeing you get one for that whole gimmick.

This is what getting old is like I guess huh.
I wouldn't feel too bad, you were just the victim of my amazing PR campaign.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #5244 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Post by PJ. »

anti nom lolbalance, still a bad meme, still being forced through. nothing has changed.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5245 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

lolbalance is weird to me because I know it's not intended as an insult, but it's exactly how I'd complain about an Alisae setup that I didn't like.
To be clear: quack
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #5246 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 5224, TheButtonmen wrote:People who have been around long enough to know this subforum exists are more likely to have been exposed to the discussion forums where us old fogeys tend to congregate thus more titles tend to come from certain areas like SE or General Discussion.

It would be awesome if we could somehow promote the titling process with the newer crowd but it's not exactly a terribly well advertised or even visible area of the site.

that's fine, popularity ruins things
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5247 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 5244, PJ. wrote:anti nom lolbalance, still a bad meme, still being forced through. nothing has changed.
Have you ever played an alisae game?
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #5248 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Post by vonflare »

also +1 lolbalance if i haven't explicitly done so already
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5249 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Post by Mathdino »

In post 5245, SleepyKrew wrote:lolbalance is weird to me because I know it's not intended as an insult, but it's exactly how I'd complain about an Alisae setup that I didn't like.
I think people would've said the exact same thing about tarhalindur back then tbh. Not exactly the most popular mod lol.

Notoriety vs Popularity I guess

Return to “Player Titles”