Dance of the Title Fairy: A Froggy Fandango

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
DeathRowKitty
Frog

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello, and welcome to the title thread. I'm DeathRowKitty and I will be your Title Fairy this evening.

What is this thread for?
This thread is for titles, of course! Titles are those bits of text or occasionally tiny images that go below usernames. Most users have default titles that are based solely on their post count, but users can also be given special custom titles. This thread is for those special custom titles.

How do people get these titles?
Overall, it's quite simple:
  • Someone nominates a user for a title
  • A bunch of users agree that it's a good title, usually by posting 2nd or 3rd or 8999th or nth
  • I agree that it's a good title
  • The user says that they want the title
  • The user gets the title

In practice, it can be a tiny bit more complicated and not everyone will agree on whether or not any particular title should be given out. For a good title nomination that receives negligible resistance, 5 users agreeing with the nomination should usually be enough, but other factors may be taken into consideration. For more controversial titles, support from additional users and a decent explanation or two will go a long way. "Anti-noms," while not official, will be taken into consideration if they come with decent reasons or if there are simply a large number of them. I will be more likely to approve titles that receive greater support, but support alone does not guarantee anything. If I reject a title nomination, I will do my best to be clear about why.

Which titles should I nominate?
Custom titles on Mafiascum are generally considered to be gifts from the MS community. You should nominate people for titles that you think they would be happy to receive as gifts. A title should reference something special about who the user is or something they've done on site and it should do so in a clever or interesting or fun way. Wordplay is a common tool for making this happen, but there's no one set model of what a good title must be. For examples of titles that have been approved in the past, I would recommend checking out some of the recent Title Fairy threads, linked at the bottom of this post. I will also note that, while titles based off of MS-related incidents that occur off of the site may be accepted, they will be held to a higher standard.

Which titles should I not nominate?
You probably weren't asking this and most of this section should be common sense, but it seems important anyway. You should not nominate:
  • a title for yourself. You will not receive the title and other users may find it annoying that you tried this. If there are title nominations for you in consideration in the thread, be careful about giving too much feedback or input - while declining a specific title or set of titles that's currently in discussion for you is perfectly fine, going too far beyond that may cause users to become uncomfortable with the current proceedings.
  • a title based on an ongoing mafia game. No matter how great the title is, it can (and will) wait until the game finishes.
  • a mean-spirited title. Mean-spirited titles will not be given out.
  • titles based solely on usernames.
  • titles that could equally well apply to a large number of people. Titles are meant to be special and unique.
  • titles for users who are very new. While there's no set rule for how long a user has to have been on site in order to receive a custom title, someone who's just finished their first newbie game and posted nowhere else on site probably shouldn't be getting title nominations.
  • a title based on something that is clearly bad. No titles will be given for self-hammering as town or eating babies.
  • a title that you expect to lose relevance very quickly. An inside joke that will be funny for 2 weeks and then never heard again does not make for a good title. I do, however, want to emphasize that titles don't need to last forever. People can and do ask for their titles to be removed and people who already have titles can be nominated for new ones with or without first requesting to have their old titles removed. Just try to be reasonable.

What are the rules here?
The title thread is supposed to be a fun and light-hearted thread. Occasional joke nominations and small amounts of off-topic posting that come about naturally are perfectly fine and often enjoyable, but if it gets out of hand, I will start deleting posts and if I get the sense that you're using this thread as your own personal off-toipc shitposting thread, you very well may be warned or temporarily banned from the title forum. Aside from that, don't be a dick and follow site rules and we'll all get along just fine.

Titles Awarded
Drench - crucial waukesha voter
the worst - Snuggly Duckling
hiplop - Jury Darling
Chickadee - Slightly Sketchy

Previous title threads can be found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
kero kero

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:45 pm

FIRST

EGO

EDIT LATER
Eddie Cane

lalaladucks
Best Newcrummer

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:46 pm

i like this thread
oh no

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Is Deroki still doing frog things? I haven't seen any frog association in a while. Their avatars all been rabbits.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Why is the end of the day the beginning of the next?

xyzzy
comical third option

Pronoun: They

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

nominate Psyche for His_Job.exe for his efforts to create bots to automate absolutely everything on site.

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:51 pm

If that is a thing, it should be all lower case.
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

SleepyKrew
Snark Attack

Pronoun: He

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:51 pm

In post 5, xyzzy wrote:nominate Psyche for His_Job.exe for his efforts to create bots to automate absolutely everything on site.

2nd
To be clear: this is not allowed

lalaladucks
Best Newcrummer

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm

dislike
his current title is good
oh no

implosion
Polymath

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 pm

I don't dislike it really but his current title is pretty perfect.

Pine
In Your Head

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:08 pm

In post 6, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 5, xyzzy wrote:nominate Psyche for His_Job.exe for his efforts to create bots to automate absolutely everything on site.

2nd

Third

Psyche's current title is solid, but I feel this one is also fitting and updated to his current antics.
Go get to know xRECKONERx!
====================
Help me build a desktop!

Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:12 pm

I support the above, but I second annadog's suggestion that it should be all lowercase.
BRASIL BRASIL BRASIL BRRRRR
last.fm
gtkas

Mathdino
Survivor

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 pm

I think there might be a funnier way to execute this idea

But if we're doing this, I third the above

Not_Mafia
Smash Hit

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm

inb4 drama

Spiffeh
Paragone

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:44 pm

I love the title of this title thread hooray for DRK!!!!

vonflare
doot

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:46 pm

nice now I can start fresh
What's 230 – 220 / 2 ?

You probably won't believe it, but the answer is 5!

animorpherv1
Honey Trap

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Ego
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae

Ircher
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm

In post 9, Pine wrote:
In post 6, SleepyKrew wrote:

2nd

Third

Psyche's current title is solid, but I feel this one is also fitting and updated to his current antics.

Nth
Semi-retired from Mafia as of September 2018. Check out my Player Ratings page!
Level Up is finished; feel free to pre-/in for the next time I run it.

Alisae
lolbalance

Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:24 pm

I like this Psyche title
Ali Plays!
Feel free to approach me on discord: Alisae#3437
I wanna get to know an Alisae! Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

vonflare
doot

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:38 pm

it's meh
What's 230 – 220 / 2 ?

You probably won't believe it, but the answer is 5!

Elbirn
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:00 am

In post 4, xyzzy wrote:nominate Psyche for His_Job.exe for his efforts to create bots to automate absolutely everything on site.

I think this title is kind of rough on psyche considering one of his last efforts as title fairy was to make a robot title fairy and everyone bullied him out of it

But I might also have trapped myself into thinking any psyche title nom at this point as being necessarily related to his title fairy tenure

Hi DRK it's my job to naysay all titles I look forward to working with you

Davsto
Farce of Habit

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:00 am

yay titles
"dammit davsto" - everyone
Colin has returned.
"I'm never in someone's sig :(" - McMenno
On British time, currently UTC

Aristophanes
Paid the rent

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:10 am

Ill read this later and read your rules, mayberesubkit some titles.

Until then, ego.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;) - Jingle

Yup, def pretty sure I'm retiring from Mafia this time...

Annadog40
Waiting in the Sky

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:22 am

In post 19, Elbirn wrote:I think this title is kind of rough on psyche considering one of his last efforts as title fairy was to make a robot title fairy and everyone bullied him out of it

Yah this was why I didn't Nth it.

xofelf
Miss Mash

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:36 am

Probably a bit too mean-spirited, even if that isn't your intention. Psyche deserves better, also his current title is great.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Xof has a new place for you to ask her questions. Do it upppp
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697

DeathRowKitty
Frog

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:47 am

In post 19, Elbirn wrote:Hi DRK it's my job to naysay all titles I look forward to working with you

Perfect! Maybe if you do that enough, I won't have to do it at all.
kero kero

Next
[ + ]

Return to Player Titles