Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #3650 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 3647, Isis wrote:I've reviewed the other suggestions and think the noms in 3568 are still the best by a lot
also 3568 is Pie's original post about this, in case anyone else besides me wasn't sure and I can save them a few clicks, lol
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #3651 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Post by Isis »

I reject this corporeality?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #3652 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 3649, esuriospiritus wrote:if we're workshopping this a lil, imo corporeality check/brainbow/taste the brainbow are the best three slash fit the best. because to be fair, it's my own corporeality I reject, not anyone else's. :P

I'm not sure what the norm is with regard to prospective title-ees weighing in on their own options, though, so I guess take that for whatever it's worth.
People being titled generally aren’t supposed to give feedback on their own title
The idea is it’s like a present so the receiver shouldn’t be involved in selecting it
Personally I think that metaphor is a bit rubbish but it captures the spirit of things I’d say
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3653 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:51 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 3568, InflatablePie wrote:no rush bc I know mastina has more important things to prepare for (again assuming worst case scenario re:above) but while we wait

been tanking on this for -checks notes- two months (well longer tbh but actively this time for two months)

nominate
esuriospiritus
for:

I Reject Your Corporeality

or

---

Spoiler: thought process/other ideas
so... few months ago, my brain was trying to think of good esurio titles. I believe
Brainbow/Taste the Brainbow
was suggested at some point. that one's fine.

but for esurio, between the avatar and sig they had for a while, MS is the place I'd most see the word '
corporeal
' (you do know you can't kill ghosts? we're sorta incorporeal and stuff'), so I wanted to do something with that for sure.

corporeal means to do with the body as opposed to the spirit. esurio
spirit
us. it's a good start, right?

Corporal Corporeal
- alliteration is cute but I don't have a reason for the military reference (other than something something favorite title on the Citadel).

Corporeality Check
was better but I couldn't quite parse my thinking for that one.

So then in seeing what types of thought spaghetti would stick to the brain wall, the 'mythbusters' quote came to mind immediately and I think it fits alright.

so, the 'original' quote's a kinda famous one from mythbusters - "I reject your reality, and substitute my own"

or so I thought; it's actually from The Dungeonmaster - a cult classic type movie about someone who builds a sentient AI. regardless of the origin, I think it's closest to fitting esurio (they do know how to code, minor relevant point here!)

not only are they great at adapting to situations and working within the bounds of certain restrictions, but they always seem to be able to adapt quickly. and even when things don't go the way they want, they try to find a way to make their current situation work or find a path to adapt. it's a very constant-positivity viewpoint, and I think esu exudes that a lot without really realizing it sometimes.

believe their username is latin for 'hungry spirit', which is another 'actively searching' type of personality descriptor that meshes with their ability to adapt to most situations when needed. I reject your corporeality, and substitute my incorporeality. ghosts and stuff. ooooooo. -fades-

anyway

idk if any of these ideas work but I really like this suggestion so feel free to yell about if it looks better or worse with ellipses
I liked the dots in theory but maybe not
Okay, this is better then.

nth
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #3654 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:53 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I reject my corporrealty

Nom this
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #3655 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm

Post by Isis »

yeah this or my is cool
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3656 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:54 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

In post 0, mastina wrote:Which titles should I not nominate?
You probably weren't asking this and most of this section should be common sense, but it seems important anyway. You should not nominate:
a title for yourself. You will not receive the title and other users may find it annoying that you tried this. If there are title nominations for you in consideration in the thread, be careful about giving too much feedback or input - while declining a specific title or set of titles that's currently in discussion for you is perfectly fine, going too far beyond that may cause users to become uncomfortable with the current proceedings.
a title based on an ongoing mafia game. No matter how great the title is, it can (and will) wait until the game finishes.
a mean-spirited title. Mean-spirited titles will not be given out.
titles based solely on usernames.
titles that could equally well apply to a large number of people. Titles are meant to be special and unique.
titles for users who are very new. While there's no set rule for how long a user has to have been on site in order to receive a custom title, someone who's just finished their first newbie game and posted nowhere else on site probably shouldn't be getting title nominations.
a title based on something that is clearly bad. No titles will be given for self-hammering as town or eating babies.
a title that you expect to lose relevance very quickly. An inside joke that will be funny for 2 weeks and then never heard again does not make for a good title. I do, however, want to emphasize that titles don't need to last forever. People can and do ask for their titles to be removed and people who already have titles can be nominated for new ones with or without first requesting to have their old titles removed. Just try to be reasonable.
Here's all the "do nots" of this thread, in case you were curious esuriospiritus
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3657 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Post by Ythan »

I think the very last line might be the most important part. Let's try to just have some fun with titles.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #3658 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

ah ok yeah. it has been approximately forever since I've been involved in title things. I'll shut up, then. :P

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3659 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 3630, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 3611, Gamma Emerald wrote:
In post 3609, NorwegianboyEE wrote:
In post 3603, Gamma Emerald wrote:Yeah I’d need to see Cook in other non-mafia related areas of the site before I’d say that title fits
Oh is that how it works to get nommed.
Nobody told me.
It pretty much is for a solid fraction of people
I’ve been wondering for a long time since some people seem to get easily nommed over others, while players with like 30k posts remain without. And i never understood what exactly prompted some users to get it so much more easily. But if it’s based heavily on people socializing outside of the games that makes a lot of sense. As i see a lot of slots that i never even see in games get nominated while a lot of long time contributors don’t get noticed.
Imo it shouldn’t be leaning so much in that direction.
It's a popularity thing, mostly. And its prob a whole lot easier to give someone a title if you can make a pun out of their username.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3660 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Post by hellbooks »

seemed like a lot of people liked both recommended for you or emotion picture for nancy drew is there a reason neither of these ever got off the ground
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #3661 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Post by Ythan »

I sorta like the former.
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: idk she it me

Post Post #3662 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:17 pm

Post by shiki »

i would like to nominate
reconsider it!
as a title for nancy drew 39

because i think one of the most notable aspects of her mafia play is the way she will continuously rebuild entire worlds late into games when presented with new information, treating each one almost as confirmed to her at the time it makes the most sense to her, often going back throughout the entire game and players' previous games and her own past experience to populate each world, and if she discovers something new or another player shows her something she may not have previously considered she is open to once again rebuilding, constantly reconsidering

and consider it when said or read a certain way sounds either externally or internally like considerate and nancy drew cares deeply about the feelings of others
and reconsider it sounds like reconsiderate and i think were this a word it would apply to the way she is aware of past hurts and how her behaviour has impacted others and she is willing to reach into the darkness and say i have this hurt inside of me and you have this hurt inside of you and maybe both of us will be okay

and the exclamation mark is because she is very passionate and i think her passion for the game is also one of the most notable aspects of her mafia play and her passion for others is one of the most notable aspects of her presence on the site
feel free to delete this ghost
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3663 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:25 pm

I would actually disagree with #1. Having played games with Nancy, this is often not what happens because she's usually trying to keep a consistent narrative going on, altering when new data shows up, but not in the drastic way you're representing. I think I know the specific game you're referring to here which might've given you this impression of Nancy, but I disagree that Nancy does what you claim she does.

I would tend to disagree with #3 as well, I don't think she's any more passionate than a Mute Colored Noraa.

I agree with #2, this does describe how Nancy appears to others.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3664 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Post by mastina »

(Chiming in to say I am indeed watching the discussion but there needs to be quite a bit more before I take further action.)
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3665 (ISO) » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 pm

Post by shiki »

the trees whisper to me so
Last edited by shiki on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #3666 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:15 am

Post by Isis »

I like recommend for you
"Well, I..."
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3667 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:50 am

In post 3665, shiki wrote:
In post 3663, Jake The Wolfie wrote:I would actually disagree with #1. Having played games with Nancy, this is often not what happens because she's usually trying to keep a consistent narrative going on, altering when new data shows up, but not in the drastic way you're representing. I think I know the specific game you're referring to here which might've given you this impression of Nancy, but I disagree that Nancy does what you claim she does.
i do not think this is the place for an extended discussion, but i am familiar with her play and also the play of many others and i am not sure there are any players who rebuild their entire view of the game in a more drastic way all at once, often going from x is 100% scum for this reason to x is 100% town for this reason and y is 100% scum; i am not referring to any one specific game solely. by 'keep a consistent narrative going' i think you are likely referring to what i mean when i say she treats each world almost as confirmed, but that does not mean she is not willing to move to a new world which completely negates the previous one based on new (either to her or to the game in general) information, as she often does just that
I am also familiar with her play, because I've played games with her and alongside her. I feel like what you're saying doesn't describe what Nancy typically does in her games. Perhaps she doesn't play like that in games with me, or maybe you're thinking of someone else. However, I still stand that Nancy doesn't typically play in the way you're describing.
In post 3665, shiki wrote:
In post 3663, Jake The Wolfie wrote:I would tend to disagree with #3 as well, I don't think she's any more passionate than a Mute Colored Noraa.
nancy drew wears her passion on her sleeve, both in and out of game, and i feel as though it is unfair to compare her passion to noraa's in such a way, as they are both passionate players and it isn't a competition in anyway

like i do not understand how nancy drew would be less deserving of an exclamation mark in her title because you feel there are other passionate players that just seems like an absurd objection to me

but once again, this probably isn't the place for a discussion and i would rather not have one, so if you simply disagree there's no need to reiterate, i only replied as i felt you were mischaracterizing my view of nancy's play as being based on one game (and i am also unsure as to which game this would be), and your objection to the exclamation mark felt unfair, as i think it improves the title suggestion in a substantial way
I was comparing Nancy Drew to Noraa as a reference point to how I perceived Nancy. Do you honestly think that I would be so cruel and unjust as to imply that Nancy doesn't deserve a title because another person has better proficiency in that space?

If this isn't the place to discuss whether or not Nancy Drew deserves this title, then where exactly do you think that should be discussed?
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #3668 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Nom Nancy for Virtual Hugger
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3669 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:20 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

I feel like a Nancy Drew title needs to shine, I'll give some titles a thought.

Something like Heaven Scent or Lotus Fire are feeling better for describing both her play and persona in the community just off the top of my head. I will elaborate more at some point.
<3 xx
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3670 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:41 am

Post by Psyche »

those are some neat puns! i hope the case is just as good
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3671 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Post by shiki »

the flowers stand in my way
Last edited by shiki on Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #3672 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I just want to pop in to say that Shiki and Cheeky are totes awesome. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask

Post Post #3673 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

In post 3671, shiki wrote:words words words
Just ignore Jake. Shitting on title noms is kind of his whole schtick.

Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #3674 (ISO) » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:07 pm

Post by Ythan »

I feel like if we came up with a title for him it might stop just my two cents every time that I've never bothered to post before.

Return to “Player Titles”