Dance of the Title Thread: Resurgence in wild?

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2175 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Enter »

Why is Skitter good at mafia is a reasonable starting place.
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2176 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:19 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 2171, gobbledygook wrote:
In post 2169, Aristophanes wrote:Don't worry Enter, there's no way a title like this ever gets approved.

Gobbldy, think a little more unique. What makes Skitter Ms. Mafia? Why is she so prolific? What about her play makes her stand out?
She’s the only player on the site that still reliably wins as scum anymore.
Is your goal here to trash the site's playerbase by inventing some brightline categories? Even if she's the highest winrate player on site, I've seen her lose recently so she doesn't have a perfect or essentially perfect winrate inherently worthy of special treatment.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2177 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 2176, Isis wrote:
In post 2169, Aristophanes wrote:Don't worry Enter, there's no way a title like this ever gets approved.

Gobbldy, think a little more unique. What makes Skitter Ms. Mafia? Why is she so prolific? What about her play makes her stand out?
Is your goal here to trash the site's playerbase by inventing some brightline categories? Even if she's the highest winrate player on site, I've seen her lose recently so she doesn't have a perfect or essentially perfect winrate inherently worthy of special treatment.
Yeah, also I disagree with the premise that Skitter is the only player that wins reliably as scum.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2178 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 2173, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 2171, gobbledygook wrote:She’s the only player on the site that still reliably wins as scum anymore.
The fact that you have people disagreeing with you on this tells me you're wrong.
No one has disagreed with the basis for my title recommendation. They've disagreed with the title itself.
In post 2174, Equinox wrote:The thing is that "excellent scum record" is not a distinguishing feature in and of itself. It may be an exceptional quality in someone in a given generation, but there's usually at least one of those players in each mafiascum.net generation. Having a title strictly for being good at playing scum doesn't make those users stand out from the other top-tier scum players of mafiascum.net history unless there is another well-known defining characteristic. That may be why you are getting push-back on this title specifically.
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make here. I agree that a title should be excellent scum record + personalization. I suggested the title to start discussion about skitter.
In post 2176, Isis wrote:

How did you interpret my praise for skitter's scum game as an insult to the general ms.net player? :?
In post 2175, Enter wrote:Why is Skitter good at mafia is a reasonable starting place.
She is exceedingly good at talking her way out of getting lynched. One thing I have noticed about skitter's scum play is that she really only gets lynched due to mechanical guilties.
Station 13, is now taking pre-ins! Coming June 2020
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2179 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 2178, gobbledygook wrote:I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make here. I agree that a title should be excellent scum record + personalization. I suggested the title to start discussion about skitter.
To be clear, I am not saying that skitter30 should not be getting a title. The point I am making is that the reason you gave for "Ms Mafia" as quite generic. About every 2-3 years, we get someone who is extremely and reliably good at playing scum and not all of them get titles. RadiantCowbells had a reputation for a high scum win rate, if I remember correctly, and he still doesn't have a title despite winning the Don Corleone Award five years ago. What is it that distinguishes skitter30 from Flavor Leaf or RadiantCowbells or MagnaofIllusion or Alisae or Katsuki or zMuffinMan or Sotty7 or Talitha . . . I can basically go on and on with people who have stellar scum reputations.

Edit: I probably should step out of this discussion. My intention was to explain what the push-back was, not to be involved in deciding whether or not skitter30 deserves a title.
Last edited by Equinox on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2180 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by northsidegal »

for the record rc got a title but chose to have the paragon tagline
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2181 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 pm

Post by Equinox »

In post 2180, northsidegal wrote:for the record rc got a title but chose to have the paragon tagline
Oh, he did! I thought it was odd that he didn't. Good to know.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2182 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Post by northsidegal »

to contribute something actually meaningful instead of pedantic to the conversation, something that distinguishes skitter from other people who have great scum reputations (although this isn't necessarily tied to being scum) is her proficiency at lylos. very few people on the site actually go back to review things when they make it to lylo, and even fewer do it with the attention to detail that skitter does. multiple people have remarked / noticed this (to my knowledge), i bring it up now because i couldn't really work it into a good title with the thought i gave it but maybe someone else can

things fall apart
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2183 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 2182, northsidegal wrote:to contribute something actually meaningful instead of pedantic
oof
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2184 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 2182, northsidegal wrote:to contribute something actually meaningful instead of pedantic to the conversation, something that distinguishes skitter from other people who have great scum reputations (although this isn't necessarily tied to being scum) is her proficiency at lylos. very few people on the site actually go back to review things when they make it to lylo, and even fewer do it with the attention to detail that skitter does. multiple people have remarked / noticed this (to my knowledge), i bring it up now because i couldn't really work it into a good title with the thought i gave it but maybe someone else can
"Dean's List", or "studious"?

Both have implications of putting in the effort to achieve greatness, which seems to be a theme.

additionally, skitter is verbose and mellow in her responses, both of which give off an air of intellect, imo
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2185 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:25 pm

Post by Enter »

I will add that I haven't played with skitter in at least half a year, so she might have changed a lot ... :shifty:
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2186 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 2183, Enter wrote:
In post 2182, northsidegal wrote:to contribute something actually meaningful instead of pedantic
oof
err, just to clarify, i was saying that what i said was pedantic, not what anyone else said.

if that wasn't clear.

things fall apart
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2187 (ISO) » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

Tightrope Walker
?
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2188 (ISO) » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I guess maybe some reasoning might help.

Walking a tightrope is scary, involves handling a lot of pressure and the circus context kind of implies a degree of theatricality/performance.
Someone who does that for a living excels at managing those three things which I think ties in well with the idea of someone who is good at LyLo.

If you succeed you win/live, if you fail you lose/die, which I feel is kind of apt for the description of how LyLo can tend to play (at least when it gets down to final three).
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2189 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:03 am

Post by Awoo »

In post 2170, Enter wrote:
In post 2168, Enter wrote:
In post 2155, Zaphkael wrote:What about
Shapeshifter
? It has the idea of being so good at disguising yourself (and deceiving others) that you're quite literally someone else, and fits the many alts just as well.
I think it has the extra layer of how MariaR is usually very nice and banter-y but can get really serious when she needs to, though I guess that is not as specific to her
What about "Veiled?" Or something along those lines. Veils have cultural ties with innocence which is a pretty typical read for MariaR even when she's scum, and also physically hide distinguishing characteristics, which somewhat related to how MariaR seems to be somewhat reserved when it comes to revealing her opinions and reasoning
"Mask," "masked," and "masque" all work along this train of thought as well, to varying degrees of success.
Veiled Assassin
Last edited by Awoo on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #2190 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:18 am

Post by Isis »

nth
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2191 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:23 am

Post by Enter »

assassin has such a dark connotation, and i always imagined maria's face to be bright and happy as she slides very sharp pointy objects into my back

it's still pretty ok, tho and i can't think of anything better off the top of my head, so i'll
nth
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2192 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 am

Post by mastina »

In post 2180, northsidegal wrote:for the record rc got a title but chose to have the paragon tagline
Correct, his current title is his choice.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2193 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 am

Post by gobbledygook »

What’s the character limit generally for titles?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2194 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:16 pm

Post by northsidegal »

i think generally it's just supposed to fit on one line

things fall apart
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2195 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 2194, northsidegal wrote:i think generally it's just supposed to fit on one line
Looking at your bannered titles it appears to be 30 characters.

You’ll Never Feel the Knife
for MariaR? Connotations to MariaR being able to get close to people through masks (alt) and being good at scum

Although really i just want to say
A girl with no name
but I’m not sure how into GOT mariar is. I do think it’s the most apt though :p
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2196 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Post by Firebringer »

i forgot the arguments against "i have many names" can someone remind me why that didn't gain traction/rejected
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #2197 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 2194, northsidegal wrote:i think generally it's just supposed to fit on one line
funny coming from you
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2198 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

A girl with no name is the best one I've heard for Maria. Maria is Arya, that's fucking fantastic
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2199 (ISO) » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 2195, gobbledygook wrote:
You’ll Never Feel the Knife
too long
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.

Return to “Player Titles”