Vanilla Nightless Day One Doozy (name change possible)

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Vanilla Nightless Day One Doozy (name change possible)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

2 Mafia

4 Town

The first lynch works a little differently than normal. If town is lynched day one, rather than being removed from the game they become IC and stay in the game.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am

Post by mith »

This one is ok for small setups, but at some point is is better for town to be lynched day 1. In fact, the only setups where it's better to lynch Mafia are:

1:T
2:T
3:5
M:M+1

3:6 and 4:6 render day 1 completely meaningless (EV is identical whether Mafia or Town is lynched); 3:6 also happens to be perfectly balanced. For any other setup, town would prefer to lynch town. IC is just that good in nightless.

The particular count given is slightly town-sided (8/15, ~53%). If you want the day 1 lynch to be "normal" (town wants to lynch mafia and vice versa), the only setups I would consider running are 2:3 (EV 40%) and 3:5 (EV ~41%), and even 3:5 only has about a 3% EV swing on the day 1 result. If you don't care about which lynch town prefers day 1, the M:(2M-1) setups are all reasonable. Something like a 5:9 where the Mafia are trying to get one of their own lynched could be interesting. (4:7 has as small a swing as 3:5, in the other direction, not enough difference to be worthwhile I think).
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I'm more interested in changing the dynamic of the lynch so I'm thinking 3:6 would be a good choice if it does what you say. One where mafia would prefer getting lynched is also interesting
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am

Post by mith »

3:6 doesn't change the dynamic of the lynch, it just does away with it entirely (from an EV perspective). No matter who is lynched, town has a 50% chance afterward. For an actual game, different players may have different preferences on whether to play in a 2:6 or a 3:5:1, so I guess you could arguably have some weird form of scumhunting there. But it doesn't seem interesting to me. (Probably it would just devolve into lynching the best player - either you get rid of them as scum or get them as an unkillable IC.)

5:9 is way better if you are interested in changing the dynamic.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Okay then
<Embrace The Void>

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”