[Setup] Too Many Names Rolls in this 9 Person?

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

[Setup] Too Many Names Rolls in this 9 Person?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Post by KarmicGuide »

Full disclaimer - I intend to run this game live, for a group of friends who vary in experience, with none being totally new to Mafia, and none being experts. If this is the wrong spot for me to post this, I apologize, but it is meant as a setup that could work on Mafiascum as well.

This is inspired by the various 2d3 setups, but with two scum PRs and three town PRs.

Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
4x Vanilla Town
Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan
Town Tracker

I know lots of roles makes games susceptible to mass claim, but we still have four VT. No Cop, so this should dodge "follow the cop" as well, as the Neapolitan and Tracker can't really confirm that anyone is mafia.

Is this too town-sided? Too susceptible to mass claim? If so, what balance changes would you suggest?
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by KarmicGuide »

In post 2, BBmolla wrote: Keep in mind every night action in the game adds about 30-45 seconds of waiting for everyone.
That does concern me. People having to wait 5 minutes while all the night actions are resolved does sound problematic, even if I could address the other concerns to make things more balanced.

Thanks for your feedback!
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Post by KarmicGuide »

As all of them have played a little before (some more than others), I'd rather not run vanilla. Thanks for the tip about face-to-face being more townsided, though!

In that case, what if I made the doctor another VT? Keep both mafia having PRs, vs 5 VT, a town tracker, and a town neapolitan?
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28 am

Post by KarmicGuide »

To be really specific, mith, we'll be playing on Roll20.

So there will be webcams, a skype call, private messages and stuff. So f2f, but no super obvious moving around. (We use roll20 for DnD, sometimes do secret things, and it's usually pretty obvious that someone is typing a whisper, but fairly hard to determine who is doing the whispering.)

JK9 looks really close to what I want, although I still like the idea of scum PRs.
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (isolation #4) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 am

Post by KarmicGuide »

OH, I should add, that's part of why I want scum and town PRs, if I do an open setup.

If there is only town PRs, than anyone who types at night is either being very clever, or town.
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (isolation #5) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

Post by KarmicGuide »

In post 12, Gamma Emerald wrote:Um scum should have nighttime communications to decide their kill?
OH true, they'll be typing anyway, yeah. Good point.
KarmicGuide
KarmicGuide
Goon
KarmicGuide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Post by KarmicGuide »

In post 14, BBmolla wrote:uh okay that's completely completely different than f2f
Yeah I'm learning this.

We're playing right now, and they are mass claiming day 2. (After asking, "is that a thing you can do?")

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”