[SETUP] Election Day Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[SETUP] Election Day Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 am

Post by mcqueen »

Forgive me if this is already a thing or if something similar exists.

2 Mafia Goons

8 Vanilla Townies

Nightstart, Mafia do not have a N0 kill

Each Night, everyone votes for 1 player to be elected Mayor. Players can not vote for themselves. Plurality rule applies here.

Mafia members can be elected Mayor.

Mayor is announced at Day start, but all votes for the Mayor are not revealed.

Rest of the mechanics are of a normal variety.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Post by the worst »

What does the mayor do?
jjh927 ran an interesting setup using a voting => kingmaker mechanic a while ago. I'll go grab the link and edit it into this post.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76501

Thought you may be interested.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Post by mcqueen »

Oh, I checked the Wiki and Mayor is now known as Governor, and it does something totally different than what I'm used to.

Typically, the Mayor (most often associated with town) has two votes each day instead of 1. The stipulation is they have to reveal themselves for their 2nd vote to count.

The difference in my setup is mafia can be the Mayor for the day, and the mayor always has two votes because their identity is revealed at daystart.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Post by the worst »

Playing in evens probably isn't majorly beneficial imo but that's kinda a side point. The election mechanic is interesting but 2 scum also don't have enough swing to substantially impact the election in most cases. I don't really think the doublevote is enough to offer all that much ev to either faction and 8v2 mountainous is very scumsided. It might be more balanced run at 11v2 (working in odd numbers is more interesting imo)

Now that I'm thinking about it! The Dream Weaver's game Heroes Wanted might interest you EVEN MORE. it involved a voting mechanic which elected one person who could give themselves + 5 others night abilities).

But yeah I think this is a cool variant on mountainous and someone smarter than me can probably explain why it's +ev to one faction or the other but I'm not sure if I'd play it

Gonna go looking for that Heroes Wanted game to link you to (just have a read of the setup posts; all is explained. the game is very long.)

edit: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76709
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:50 am

Post by mith »

I think EV is actually worse than Vanilla, assuming scum win at 2:2 or 1:1 (rather than some potential shenanigans with a Mayor selection tiebreaker). Town gets no EV advantage from the double voter. So either the best strategy is to play as even count Vanilla with no no lynch to restore parity (worse than 2:7 Vanilla), or they no lynch day 1 and it plays as a 2:7 Vanilla where town can lose early depending on how the 2:3 Mayor vote goes (scum Mayor = scum win; though this is mitigated a bit by the fact that the Mayor is confirmed town if scum haven’t already won, and in fact at 1:2 the EV doesn’t change, but 2:3 goes from 2/15 to 1/10).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:50 am

Post by mith »

(It’s also not defined what happens in the event of a tie for Mayor).

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”