[SETUP] Follow the Leader... Or Not

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BulletNLynchproof
Micro Madness
 
User avatar
Joined: September 16, 2015
Location: EDT+12
Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:07 am

3 Mafia Goon
1 Town Leader
7-8 Informed Townie
1-2 Insane Informed Townie

There's a 70% chance of 1 Insane and 30% chance of 2 Insane.
The Informed townies are informed who the Leader is. The Insane informed townies will be told that they're informed townies, but will be told that a different townie is the town leader. If there are two Insanes, they may or may not be informed about different townies, but they will not receive each other.

This is an added twist to Something_Smart's Follow the Leader, and I think the presence of the Insane townie will make the game more interesting. In order to prevent the game from breaking by massclaim, though, I had to make the setup larger.

By the way, this is a valid submission to the March challenge, but I'm not sure if it is ethical to modify and submit someone else's setup to the challenge.
GTKAS - BNL (Updated, check it out!)

Surprise Mafia is in the Mini Theme queue. PM me to pre-in, 0/6 slots taken.
Gameshow Mafia is in Day 4. PM me to join my replacement queue! 0 replacements needed.

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: the moon in the clouds,
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 am

I personally feel it is ethical since a lot of popular open setups are mechanically similar to one another
But maybe make more than one change so it’s not just “____ with a twist”

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: the moon in the clouds,
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 am

Oh also
I like it

Something_Smart
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 17, 2015
Location: Rochester Institute of Technology
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm

You have my permission to submit this for the challenge, but if you win, I get to help you design the requirements for the next one :P (Just make sure to mention there that it's derivative.)

I feel like, come massclaim, if two people claim to be insane it's probably just optimal to assume that there's only one insane townie and one of them is lying. Maybe increase the odds of there being two insane townies... do insane townies flip as insane?
When the truth walks away, everybody stays
'Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay
So if you walk away, who is gonna stay
'Cause I'd like to think the world is a better place

BulletNLynchproof
Micro Madness
 
User avatar
Joined: September 16, 2015
Location: EDT+12
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:35 am

I'd actually like to hear more comments on the actual setup rather than contest ethics.

I'm interested in how this setup will play out because of how the insane townies can get in the way of scumhunting. That said, if the insane townies survive to massclaim, they have an actual inno which may balance the setup somewhat. Of course, this can be balanced out with Mafia claiming to be insane.

Also I forgot to mention, this setup is limited reveal: Only alignment flips on death, role doesn't.

There's a lot of difference between the setups though, where one has more distractions but also more innos. Maybe increase the chance of the second insane to 40%?
GTKAS - BNL (Updated, check it out!)

Surprise Mafia is in the Mini Theme queue. PM me to pre-in, 0/6 slots taken.
Gameshow Mafia is in Day 4. PM me to join my replacement queue! 0 replacements needed.

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: the moon in the clouds,
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am

I think the most interesting part of this setup is the way townies with the correct town leader info can be paranoid that they don’t have the correct town leader info

DrDolittle
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 27, 2011

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 am

Is town leader a game breaking setup under some encryption type strategy, where the key is the town leaders say name. Then people with the private key can verify each others names and just lynch the insane and the goons


[ + ]

Return to Open Setup Discussion