[APRIL CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

[APRIL CHALLENGE]

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

See [MARCH CHALLENGE] for last month's thread.

April Challenge
Create a new open setup.

Must contain the following: Must contain at least one of the following:
  • Zero power roles
  • Zero nightkills

Submit your setups as posts in this thread. You may re-submit and/or edit until April 28th, at which point we'll do a voting thing

Winner will be in charge of the requirements for next month's challenge!
Last edited by Irrelephant11 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Just edited it in
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:24 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

You’re correct in your assumptions! Unless neighborhoods are a unique setup mechanic and nobody ever has a “Town Neighbor” role PM
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (isolation #3) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 8, ceejayvinoya wrote:Probably not, it says eliminate players during the day.
Basically this, though if your mechanic is something like “mark players during the day, some of these marked players die at night” I’m willing to stretch it a bit
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 6, northsidegal wrote:ah, i think that's just "0 power roles", as in a lack of any power roles.
^
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (isolation #5) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I edited the “Must have at least 1” list after realizing “a lack of nightkills” was what I was originally going for, not “a lack of a night phase”
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (isolation #6) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Umm well if all mafia have vengekills and no townies do, I would be inclined to say yes
On the other hand if all players get vengekills when they’re day-eliminated (or if some scum and some townies, or one single scum and no one else, etc), I would be inclined to say no
Try to err on the side of “I’m not just giving mafia a nightkill with different flavor no matter how you look at it”
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (isolation #7) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:12 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

When I say “single-slot lynch” I mean:
-A majority or deadline-plurality vote that
-Directly eliminates one player

Implosion’s mechanic was a unique way to change the second bullet point, but if you have some way to keep the second bullet point and change the first, I’m cool with that too.

Hopefully that helps, your wording was a little unclear (“eliminate” how?), so I thought I’d just define it.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (isolation #8) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I’m gonna go with no. It’s a cool example of balancing no nightkills, though.
The setup you submitted works, though
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Yes to your last question
I have faith that if every submission tries to hold to the spirit of the guidelines I set there will be no “problem setups”
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (isolation #10) » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Does 12:5 make more sense
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (isolation #11) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:46 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 134, Jingle wrote:D1 you lynch 8 of 21.
D2 you lynch 5 of 13.
D3 you lynch 3 of 8.
D4 you lynch 2 of 5.
LYLO is normal.

Scum always has the ability to split the groups until there's only one scum left,
which should completely negate the Hail Mary shot nature of the multilynch.

Additionally, the EV for nightless is T=3M, so 14:7 would probably be a massively scumsided setup.
Scum only splits the groups D1?
If town can find 5 town in the group of 13 or 5 town in the group of 8 D1, they win
If town can find 3 town in the group of 5 or 3 town in the group of 8 D2, they win
Though these are assuming scum don’t out themselves by challenging consensus town which they might just... do

7:14 sounds chaotic at first but I feel confident scum would die most phases and town would have the chance to get some retroactive clarity before endgame
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (isolation #12) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:11 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 141, Jingle wrote:If the original lynches are all town, scum win.
These are true points, though like the above would definitely be town’s fault because town would either have terrible challenges or terrible votes

15:6 would fix some of these extremes without going too townsided, maybe?
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (isolation #13) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:28 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Preliminary list of final setups~

Let me know if you want a different one of your setups included, those of you who made multiple.

Any more setups or updated versions will get edited into this post and we'll start voting on Monday. Feel free to ask for more feedback! It's hard to tell sometimes who wants more feedback and who's thinking about it and who's finalized things already.

Spoiler: Forkbomb Mafia | Implosion
In post 23, implosion wrote:Popcorn-inspired.
Forkbomb Mafia4 Mafia
13 Townies

You can think of this as an infectious disease or something but it's going to sound funnier if I use this terminology.

Nightless. Really phaseless. There's a singular day.

A random townie is selected to be the initial fork() call; they are considered to be forked, and are publicly revealed. Any given player can be in three states: alive, forked, or dead. If a player is forked, then they may still post and will not have their alignment flip, but are effectively dead for win condition purposes. At any time, any forked player may fork exactly two other players by publicly announcing in thread:

Fork: Player 1, Player 2

(alternatively, in the spirit of EHOBANOHAR, players may use any verb or phrase, not just "Fork", so long as it is unambiguous and bolded)

As soon as they do this, the forking player becomes dead (and their alignment flips). For each of the two players they target, if not yet forked, they become forked; if they were already forked, they become dead (this provides a way for the town to move from the initial evens into odds, as well as a way to stop suspected forked mafia from forking two townies).

There is only one day phase, but it has a short (48 or 72 hour likely) deadline; any time a player forks, this deadline is reset. If the deadline expires, all forked players become dead. If at any point there are no forked players, the mafia must select a new townie to become forked. Note that this prevents mafia from indefinitely stalling the game if all forked players are mafia.

The town wins when all mafia are forked or dead.
The mafia win when at least half of all unforked players are mafia.

Note that even though two players are forked in each Fork statement, they are actually forked one at a time (so if forking the first player would cause the mafia to win, and forking the second player would then reset the game back to where the mafia win condition doesn't apply, the mafia would in fact win). This prevents LYLO from being super easy for town.

Mafia-aligned players may never fork in such a way that they would immediately win (e.g., if there is 1 alive mafia and 3 alive town, a forked mafia may not fork to two of the alive town, though if desired they could fork one of them and one other already-forked player). If they do attempt such a fork, the moderator will announce that it failed, and that mafia member will die. There should never be any good reason for this to happen.

Spoiler: True Popcorn | RadiantCowbells
In post 45, RadiantCowbells wrote:
True Popcorn

5 Mafiosi, 11 Townies.

One Day 1 one player gets lynched.
Regardless of their alignment, they will select the next player to die.
That player will then select the next player to die.
So on, so forth.
Town wins when every mafiosi is dead, scum win when that's unpreventable. Scum win if every player is dead.

Spoiler: We Will Not Stop Planning! | NK15
In post 84, Not Known 15 wrote:
We will not stop planning! 31 Town/Mafia First Event Planner
14/15 Vanilla Townies
3/4 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Leader

The new Event Planner will be announced at day.
The Event for Day 1 is Event 0(compulsive Lock away votes)
Removal:Each day, the town has the following options to remove players from the game:
Denounce Performances - this lynches all previous 5 event planners.... The Mafia Leader will not be lynched(Exception:Fireworks). Can not be used if this would lynch 50% of the living people, or more.
Can not be used after Event 9
.VOTE: Denounce Performances
Fireworks(1-shot) The Mafia Leader can be lynched tomorrow. Disrupts Dance. VOTE: Fireworks
STOP PLANS:Lynch the current Event Planner and the previous Event Planner, and assign a new Event Planner. Can only be used during a Bad Event( Events 1-6). The Mafia Leader will be lynched by this. VOTE: STOP PLANS, Planner:Not Known 15
Lock away:Lock away two people
- except the current event planner -
in the prison, if the prison is empty. Otherwise, one person. These people cannot plan events, or vote. You normally can't vote to lock yourself away. The prison cannot contain more than six people at once.
VOTE: Lock away:Not Known 15, [name]/VOTE: Lock away:Not Known 15
EXECUTION: Execute all prisoners. The Mafia Leader will escape instead(Exception:Fireworks), if they are a prisoner VOTE: EXECUTE
No interest in these plans:Lynch the group of people who could become an event planner tonight if nothing else changes. The group cannot be bigger than 3. Cannot be used with less than 7 people alive and a group size of 3.
No Lynch: Enjoy the event!(No Lynch)VOTE: No Lynch

... Deadline plurality selection. Majority ends the day. When there is a tie amongst the most popular options, the Event Planner's vote decides. If it is still a tie the lowest avaliable option is taken. When that still results in a tie the Event planner must vote again to break the deadlock. Every Lock away vote or STOP PLANS vote with different people
is a different option.

Each Night,
- the event planner selects an event that can be picked from the list below(0, 3 and 13 are picked automatically)
- the event planner selects a list of all alive players who aren't in prison in their preferred order. The highest player who planned the least number of events is the next Event Planner.
Event 0:There are bad people here... Only Lock Away can be used. This is automatically the Day 1 event, and cannot be used again.
Event 1:Disruption! Fireworks cannot be used this day. Can't be used by Town.
Event 2:Major damage! Only STOP PLANS and Fireworks can be used this day. Cannot be used unless Disruption! and/or Mass Prison Escape was used before. Unlocks Destruction! Can't be used by Town.
Event 3:Destruction! Mafia wins. - can not be used unless unlocked by Major Damage!. Can not be used by the Mafia Leader or Town. Automatically picked if possible.
Event 4:Mass Prison Escape! Free all prisoners. Not usable if the prison is empty.
Event 5:Prison Escape! Free a prisoner. Not usable if the prison is empty. If used twice in a row directly before, the effect switches to Mass Prison Escape.
Event 6:Prison Revolt! Only the Event Planner and the imprisoned people can vote. Cannot be used consecutively. Cannot be used on an empty prison.
Event 7:Fireworks re-supply. Fireworks is reset to 1 use(can be used if Fireworks already has one use).
Event 8:Repairs. Use this twice in a row to lock Destruction! Only usable if Major damage! was used.
Event 9:Preparations for the Main Event. If 10% or less of all players being alive and free are Mafia, Town wins. If not, on the first failure, Town can only imprison or Execute. Any subsequent failure is treated as a Bad Event and can only result in Execute(if the prison is not empty)/Lock Away(if the prison is empty) or STOP PLANS. No votes is an automatic STOP PLANS.
Event 10:Escape plans. Appears as Event 5-9 or 11-12 of your choice, and has its effects. In addition, pick someone(including yourself). If they are thrown into prison, the next Event will be Prison Escape(unless 12 is picked), and they will be freed!
Event 11:Inspection: Remove the effects of all escape plans - except your own. Can only be used if the prison is empty.
Event 12:How the Prisoner tried to escape! Thwart an escape attempt - publicly. If there is no escape attempt, you are imprisoned. Cannot be used if the prison is empty.
Event 13:Sacrifice: If 3 or 4 people are alive, and none are imprisoned, and only then, next day, people may vote to lock themselves away. Used automatically.
Mafia need parity(Prison Revolt does not count, nor do prisoners) or Destruction!
Town need elimination of all Mafia(including imprisoned ones!) or the Main Event.

Spoiler: Balance in the Neighborhoods | Ankamius
In post 88, Ankamius wrote:
Balance in the Neighborhoods v1.212 Vanilla Townies
5 Mafia Goons

Each day, instead of a lynch, the town must decide on one player to send to one of four neighborhoods. When a player is selected to go to the day's designated neighborhood, the mafia then select a town player to be moved into the neighborhood with them. Players moved to a neighborhood no longer have the ability to talk in the main thread, only their neighborhood.

After all four neighborhoods have two players within them, the players in the fourth neighborhood are allowed to talk in the main thread and town must decide to send a third person into that neighborhood. At the end of the day, all three players in that neighborhood flip and are removed from the game and the mafia can send a fourth player into that neighborhood (that is always town). This continues down the line with the third, second, and first neighborhoods.

If there is at least one mafia in every single neighborhood, mafia immediately wins. If this becomes impossible (2 goons in 2 separate neighborhoods or an all-town neighborhood), then town wins.

Spoiler: Some Enchanted Forest | BBmolla
In post 98, BBmolla wrote:
Some Enchanted Forest

16 Players

8 Town

3 Mafia

1 Clan Leader
2 Clan Members

1 Goblin

1 Leprechaun

• Each player submits a list of five players, numbered 1-5, publicly. Anyone who does not submit a list by deadline submits a randomized list.
  • Once all is submitted or deadline is hit, a top 5 list of players most frequently seen on the lists of those who are Town aligned is calculated.
    • The list is initially sorted by who appeared on most lists being higher, regardless of their number on that list.
    • Ties are resolved by determining who between the tied players appeared higher on the lists they were listed in.
    • If after that there is still a tie, the Leprechaun resolves the tie.
  • Once this list is calculated and posted, endgame resolutions take place. This means there is only a single day in this game.
  • Resolutions are done privately, then once all complete, revealed.
  • Win Conditions:
    • Town: You win if you have at least 1 Mafia or the Clan Leader in the finalized top 5. If you fail, but the Goblin is also not in the top 5, you win.
    • Mafia: You win if none of your faction end up in the finalized top 5. If you fail, but one of you can name the Goblin (One guess each), you win.
    • Clan Leader: You win if you do not end up in the finalized top 5. If you fail, but you can name the Goblin, you win.
      • Clan Leader knows the identity of his/her Clan Members, but the Clan Members do not know each other.
    • Clan Member: You win if your leader does not end up in the finalized top 5. If you fail, but you and your Clan partner are in each others top 5 AND your Leader names the Goblin, you win.
    • Goblin: You win if you end up in the finalized top 5. If Town wins, and you are named by the Clan Leader or Mafia, you lose. If you fail to end up in the Top 5 and are not named, you may name the Leprechaun to win.
    • Leprechaun: You win if at least 3/5 players on your personal list are Town Aligned. If the Goblin fails to end up the Top 5 and names you, you lose.

Spoiler: The Handler | S_S
In post 100, Something_Smart wrote:
The Handler
12 Vanilla Townies

3 Mafia Goons

On Day 1, there is a normal lynch.
On Night 1, the mafia do not kill. Instead, they must group the 14 remaining players into seven pairs. Within each pair they must designate one player as the
Handler
and the other player as the
Target
. The only rule is that at least one mafia member must be made a
Target

After Night 1, the game has a normal cycle of lynches and nightkills, except that whenever a
Handler
dies, the game pauses, and for each of that
Handler
's
Targets
, they must choose to either kill that
Target
or assign that
Target
to a different
Handler

The information of which
Targets
are assigned to which
Handlers
is public at all times.

If a town
Handler
is lynched in LYLO, the mafia immediately win, even if that
Handler
has a mafia
Target

Spoiler: Hot Potato Mafia | Jingle
In post 103, Jingle wrote:
Hot Potato Mafia17 Town
5 Mafia

At the beginning of Day N, N hot potatoes are given to the top N players in the player list, whose names are then shifted to the end of the player list. Players with hot potatoes may pass the potato by posting
Pass: [PlayerName]
, but they may only do so once every 6 hours. A player will always pass the potato they've been holding the longest. Players may VOTE: End Day. When a majority of players have voted to end the day or a hot potato has been passed 10-N times, all hot potatoes explode and the next day begins. It is public knowledge who has a potato.

Spoiler: Mutiny Mafia | OkaPoka
In post 105, OkaPoka wrote:
Mutiny Mafia
13 Town (alternatively some flavored name like Crew Members)

4 Mafia (alt: Mafia Crew Members)

This game will feature a "mutiny" mechanic which will be explained more in the night phase section. All deadlines are for example and subject to change along with # of town members and # of mafia members.
Yes the game goes Dawn -> Day -> Dusk -> Night -> Dawn etc.

Dawn

->The names of all mutineers from the previous night will be published.
-> The mutineed captain will walk the plank, if the mutineed captain is Mafia aligned, he may vengekill one mutineer* (edited)

Day

->Thread will be unlocked for ~12 days
->If there is no captain, by plurality vote, the town must select a captain. If a majority vote is reached beforehand, the captain will be immediately selected.
->Thread will thus be locked at the selection of a captain. However if there already is a captain, the captain may elect to end the day at any time.

Dusk

->The captain will have 36 hours and must select one crew members to "walk the plank" (kill).
->This kill will be published at the end of dusk/start of night

Night

->Is 36 hours
->The crew(everyone except the captain) may submit to the moderator whether they would like to "Mutiny"
->If a majority of the crew elects to mutiny, the captain will "walk the plank" at dawn.
->If the mutiny fails (not enough votes), the captain will remain the captain.

Other notes

->Mafia wincondition is to reach parity with town
->Mafia have access to daytalk at all times
->Days with failed mutinies should have a shorter deadline. (Normal Day/2) ?

Spoiler: Baton Pass | NSG
In post 108, northsidegal wrote:
Baton Pass
15 Players

• 11:4
  • At the beginning of each day phase, the town votes on the first person to be the
    Baton Holder
    • Once a majority vote has been decided upon or the deadline runs out, all discussion ceases.
    • From there, the Baton Holder does
      Pass: X
      to another player of their choosing. The player chosen will then pass to another player, and so on until only two players have not been passed to. This is public and without discussion, as in Pop Goes the Nightkill.
    • Those last two players not selected are eliminated, and their alignments revealed.
  • From there, the game moves into a standard day phase, with a majority lynch (or plurality, if no majority is reached by deadline).
  • After a lynch has been agreed upon, the game moves into Night, where the scumteam must choose someone to kill.
    • The original Baton Holder is bulletproof for the night following their selection.
The whole process then repeats. In 2:1 LyLo, the game moves directly to a Lynch.

This setup is also variable in that it could be played at other playercounts. I'm not sure about the EV but 10:3, 7:2 and presumably higher playercounts also work.

Spoiler: Fibonacci Mafia | BNL
In post 117, BNL wrote:
Fibonacci Mafia6 Mafia
15 Townies

Before the start of the game, the Mafia divide everyone into two groups, one with 8 players, the other with 13.

Every Day, each player from the smaller group challenges a player in the larger group by posting
Challenge: Player
in thread. This is compulsive and they cannot choose an already challenged player.

The remaining people in the larger group choose by majority vote to eliminate either the smaller group or the challenged players.

This repeats the next Day, with the surviving group forming the larger group and the nonchallenged players forming the smaller group.

Town win with all Mafia dead, Mafia win upon comprising 50%

Spoiler: Team Mafia | ceejayvinova
In post 119, ceejayvinoya wrote:Team Mafia

Team Mafia Updated
15 Players
4 Mafia

11 Townies

• Probably needs a better name lols

• Nightless

• Everyone starts out having no teams

• Everyone can form a team with other players

• A team can have no more than 5 members

• A player that is already part of a team cannot join another team

• Team based lynching: you can not vote to lynch players, but you can vote to get their entire team lynched.

• Team based incentives: if a team has at least 4 members, the founder of that team chooses an ability when the day ends.
    • 1-Shot Unlynchable - only applies to self.
    • 1-Shot Vig
    • 1-Shot Cop
  • Anyone not part of a team by the end of the day is automatically lynched.

• Teams reset every day.

Spoiler: Good Fences Make Dead Neighbors | NMSA
In post 124, NotMySpamAccount wrote:
Good Fences Make Dead Neighbors
21 Players
6 Mafia Goons

15 Vanilla Townies

• Seven public random neighborhoods of three players each.

• In their neighborhoods, players vote for the neigborhood they want lynched, i.e. VOTE: Neigborhood A.

• At the end of the day, the vote of each neighborhood is announced and that neighborhood is lynched. The alignments of all players are revealed.

• During the night, the mafia can kill or rearrange the neighborhoods. They may only rearrange the neighborhoods once, and all neighborhoods must end with three players in each neighborhood.

No clue if this is balanced, so it's probably not given my lack of experience.

Spoiler: Mirror World | cfj
In post 154, callforjudgement wrote:
Mirror World
  • 20 players:
    • 8 Light World Townies
    • 2 Light World Scum
    • 7 Dark World Townies
    • 3 Dark World Scum
  • The players are formed into 10 pairs, each consisting of a Light World and a Dark World player. There are 7 town/town pairs, 2 scum/scum pairs, and 1 scum/town pair.
  • Each pair has a PT in which they can discuss the game with each other. This is not alignment-confirmed (although scum will know the alignment of their lover via scum factional knowledge). The identities of pairs are likewise not automatically public knowledge, although players are allowed to claim them if they wish.
  • The game is not played in a game thread; rather, there's a Light World PT and a Dark World PT, with each player having access only to the appropriate PT. Players can paraphrase from it into their pair's PT (and vice versa), but can't quote directly (i.e. usual rules for unconfirmed PTs).
  • Likewise, the scum are separated into separate Light World and Dark World PTs (although every scum knows the identity of all four other members of the scumteam, they can thus only directly communicate with two or three of them: up to two via the scum PT, and maybe one via the pair PT). All PTs (world, pair, and scum) have daytalk.
  • Players vote in the Light World or Dark World PT, in a similar fashion to voting in the game thread in a regular game of Mafia. Players can only vote for players in their own world. Each world has its own separate vote count (i.e. votes from one world aren't public in the other). Players cannot self-vote, even if they think they're paired with scum.
  • A
    pair
    is eliminated when its members have had a majority of the votes, across both PTs, continuously for at least 24 hours. Additionally, at deadline, plurality rules are used to determine which pair is eliminated (counting all votes for a pair member as a vote for the pair), even if the pair hasn't had a 24-hour hammer. Each member of the pair flips separately in their own world (although players are highly likely to communicate the result of the flip via pair PTs almost immediately).
  • The game has no nightphases. Instead, the Light World scum have a factional 1-shot daykill, and the Dark World scum have a separate factional 1-shot daykill. Each can be used only against members of their own world, and affects only their own world (it doesn't kill the pair-partner of the killed player). There is a cost to using the daykill (meaning that scum may well choose not to): when killing a player, they must also choose a town-aligned member of their world to permanently become a doublevoter (i.e. double vote weight), and that player will be mod-confirmed as town. To avoid silly timing shenanigans, when scum kill, this resets the 24-hour hammer timer and also adds 24 hours to the deadline (although it does not reset the vote count otherwise).
  • Scum win if half or more of the remaining votes, across both the Light and Dark Worlds combined, are scum-controlled. Town win when all scum are dead.

The general idea is that there are two mostly separate games of Mafia going on in their own PTs, except that votes from one affect the other, and that players are likely to discuss their games with their pair partner (who is likely but not guaranteed to share their alignment). That makes it possible to effectively run a large game without players having ridiculous amounts of catchup and spam to deal with (it's basically like playing a Micro except that there's that other game over there going on too…).

It would be reasonable to allow players to sign up as Light World (i.e. increased chance of being town) or Dark World (i.e. increased chance of being scum) specifically; signing up as a pair could also be allowed, but the pairs should be kept hidden from the signup thread (e.g. agreed with the mod via PM).

Spoiler: Splash Damage | TemporalLich
In post 157, TemporalLich wrote:
Splash Damage
17 players

3 Mafia Goons

3 Werewolves

1 Town 1-Shot Alignment Cop

10 Vanilla Townies

Highly experimental, unbalanced, and probably broken.

Update v1.1 - Made a few changes to hopefully unbreak this setup.

This game has a Dusk (or 1st half of Night) Start. The Mafia alters the playerlist order during the Dusk phase. Failing to do so will generate a random playerlist order. If all Mafiosi are dead, Dusk phases are skipped and the Werewolves alter the playerlist order.

After that comes Midnight (or 2nd half of Night), where the Werewolves are notified in their PT of the Mafia's playerlist order and may swap up to two pairs of players in the playerlist. If all Werewolves are dead, Midnight phases are skipped.

There are no factional nightkills in this game.

The Day phase comes afterward, where players vote to lynch a player. However, lynching a player in this game not only lynches that player, but also the the player before and after in the playerlist. (wrapping around if a player at either end of the playerlist is lynched)

Lynching is compulsive. That means plurality voting is in effect and voting No Lynch is not allowed.

The Town 1-Shot Alignment Cop submits their action during any time, and gets results in the form of
Town
Mafia
, or
Werewolf

Mafia and Werewolves may communicate privately at any time.

Either scumteam wins when the other scumteam is dead and they control 50% of the votes.

2 Mafiosi and 2 Werewolves is a draw for both scumteams (townies still lose).

Spoiler: Bundle Mafia | DDL
In post 185, DrDolittle wrote:
Bundle Mafia
12 Town

3 Mafia

Nightless.

Day n: Stage 1:

-> Every player starts the day belonging to a
Bundle
with only themselves in it.
-> Player A may use
Union: Player B
to create a joint
Bundle
with all the players in the two
Bundles
that A and B are a part of.
-> A
Bundle
may have at most 4 people. If the
Union
action would create more than 4 people in the joint
Bundle
, it is invalid.
-> At the end of stage 1, all players in a
Bundle
of 2 or less people are killed immediately.

Day n: Stage 2:

-> The 3/4 Players within each
Bundle
play mafia via plurality lynch, so that one player in each
Bundle
is lynched per day phase.
-> The individual games are played in separate threads, but publicly viewable by all players.
-> The surviving players move on to Day n+1.

Win Condition:

Town: All mafia players are killed or lynched.
Mafia: All town players are killed or lynched, or nothing can prevent that from happening.
Last edited by Irrelephant11 on Fri May 03, 2019 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #162 (isolation #14) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:11 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I find Splash Damage really interesting. Particularly the WIFOM each alignment has to deal with; mafia and werewolves know what the other is doing to the list while town only knows the combined result; both werewolves and mafia have to decide whether or not to put their own teammates within lynching range of each other; an alignment cop with a guilty only directs 1/3 of the lynch, and town still has to decide who will die with the guiltied player... there's a lot that's interesting!

I have no clue about balance, but a random list will kill at least one scum with more than 3/4 chance D1, if I did my math right (I really don't know that I did).

The nightlessness seems townsided? Multiball EV is hard to calculate for those among us who are much better at intuiting this than me, so I'll let them decide if this leans too far one direction or another.

I would consider Dark World Nightless as fitting the setup guidelines, though I'm not sure I like it as much tbh. It's basically a 6:14 nightless with some restrictions on which two players can die consecutively. What happens in Dark World Nightless when, say, all Dark Scum are dead and 5 Dark Townies remain without any interdimensional votes? Are they just town treestumps?
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #164 (isolation #15) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

16 > 13 > 10 > 7 > 4
a 2(town)v1v1 gamestate is fascinating as any alignment can win by convincing a townie to give up their life for them
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #167 (isolation #16) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I agree that 3O 2E is better. I'm not sure I agree 3v1v1 is better than 2v1v1. In 2v1v1, one town has to correctly lay down their life for the other. Town has 50% shot to win, scum each have 25%. But once one town has decided to lay down their life, each team has a 33% chance.

Alternatively, town's only chance to win 3v1v1 is "correctly put both scum in a group of three" which is 30% chance to win despite having majority (each scum having 35% chance). Feels wrong?
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #181 (isolation #17) » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:48 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I’m a fan of the idea of winning setups getting run immediately, but also I don’t necessarily want to sign up as a mod if I win
If enough of us want to do it this way though we can just try to collectively have a person each month who agrees to run the winning setup regardless of whose it is
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #184 (isolation #18) » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:13 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Can these threads simply be their own queue in some way? After a winner is declared, the winner picks a mod (themselves or a willing volunteer) and people can just /in to play in this thread? Then it can get run in Central Park without actually disrupting any queue.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #187 (isolation #19) » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:00 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

So D1, 3-5 groups get made, ~1 people die for lack of bundle, meaning ~5 people die d1.
Town has a lot of agency in directing who all of those deaths are by planning them before the end of stage 1.
Scum's only real "control" factor here is being able to bundle together and kill town, which would be publicly viewable.

This feels incredibly townsided at these numbers.
Also I'm just now seeing the "breaking" strategy of having the four towniest players bundle, disallowing all other bundles, and then if it's not a win probably going into nightless 3v1 (if one mafia snuck into the "coalition").
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #189 (isolation #20) » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:31 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 188, callforjudgement wrote:Bear in mind that we're generating 1 setup per month via these challenges. Games last for a lot longer than that,
this is a really good point
to be sustainable we'd have to have much faster deadlines than average for these games, which isn't necessarily preferable
I'm not sure the right answer is to make these challenges last longer, either (interest in making setups seems to naturally wane after a few weeks, at which point we vote and move on)

The answer *might be* that most of these challenges should be micros, but that feels pretty limiting...

I'm starting to feel like maybe this just isn't a good idea :neutral:
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (isolation #21) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Spoiler:
In post 200, OkaPoka wrote:
In post 105, OkaPoka wrote:
Mutiny Mafia
13 Town (alternatively some flavored name like Crew Members)

4 Mafia (alt: Mafia Crew Members)

This game will feature a "mutiny" mechanic which will be explained more in the night phase section. All deadlines are for example and subject to change along with # of town members and # of mafia members.
Yes the game goes Dawn -> Day -> Dusk -> Night -> Dawn etc.

Dawn

->The names of all mutineers from the previous night will be published.
-> The mutineed captain will walk the plank, if the mutineed captain is Mafia aligned, he may vengekill one mutineer* (edited)

Day

->Thread will be unlocked for ~12 days
->If there is no captain, by plurality vote, the town must select a captain. If a majority vote is reached beforehand, the captain will be immediately selected.
->Thread will thus be locked at the selection of a captain. However if there already is a captain, the captain may elect to end the day at any time.

Dusk

->The captain will have 36 hours and must select one crew members to "walk the plank" (kill).
->This kill will be published at the end of dusk/start of night

Night

->Is 36 hours
->The crew(everyone except the captain) may submit to the moderator whether they would like to "Mutiny"
->If a majority of the crew elects to mutiny, the captain will "walk the plank" at dawn.
->If the mutiny fails (not enough votes), the captain will remain the captain.

Other notes

->Mafia wincondition is to reach parity with town
->Mafia have access to daytalk at all times
->Days with failed mutinies should have a shorter deadline. (Normal Day/2) ?
ok i edited in a vengekill mechanic for scum to give scum more power, thoughts?

I think this is likely to be very townsided as a single townie can win the game for town without any chance of being nightkilled.

That said, I have edited it into
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #202 (isolation #22) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

All setups in their current form are in

If you have any last-second edits or think I am mistaken in that post, please share so ASAP.

You may begin voting using the same voting as the last couple months (unless there are objections?). Rank all setups (you can rank as many as you want on the same level) - we'll put them in that thing that outputs a winner in a few days.

Go go go
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #204 (isolation #23) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 203, Jingle wrote:Fibonacci Mafia (BNL) - I want to see this run just to look at how the mafia splits people up. Also, pretty sure BNL edited it to be 15v6.
fixed
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #219 (isolation #24) » Wed May 01, 2019 4:42 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I was gonna close voting Friday, probably, unless someone *needs* the weekend
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #221 (isolation #25) » Fri May 03, 2019 3:22 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 220, TemporalLich wrote:Edited Splash Damage to be 17p, adding another VT.
fixed
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #222 (isolation #26) » Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

My votes, based on my thoughts on [how much fun I think I would have] + [1/2 the average amount of fun I think most people would have]:

Baton
Popcorn / Fibonacci
Fences / Splash
Balance / Team
Forkbomb / Mirror
Handler / Potato / Bundle
Planning / Forest
Mutiny
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229 (isolation #27) » Sat May 04, 2019 3:25 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I’m having a very busy weekend
Anyone want to take it upon themselves to plug these results into mith’s link from the February challenge?
Plz and thx
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #240 (isolation #28) » Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Weird I had a fever dream someone else did a recount and nsg was no longer the winner and there was drama about it
It’s been a weird week

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”