[SETUP] Dragon Capturer

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

[SETUP] Dragon Capturer

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

A setup originally made for the May Challenge, one involving a powerful dragon that both the Town and Mafia want to capture to cause untold destruction to the other faction, but the Dragon wants to avoid being captured at all costs.

Dragon Capturer v4
11 players

1 Dragon

2 Mafia Goons

8 Vanilla Townies

In addition to voting for eliminations, the Town must also vote to Capture a player. Capturing is by plurality vote and is decided when the elimination is decided.

A Captured player is protected from the factional nightkill.

A Capture vote can either use bold e.g.
CAPTURE: TemporalLich
or hurt tags e.g. HURT: TemporalLich

You can't vote to eliminate and Capture the same player. Voting No Capture is allowed.

In addition to the factional nightkill, the Mafia may attempt a factional Capture. The mafia may multitask.

If the Mafia Captures the Dragon with the factional Capture, the Dragon exits the game in a loss and the Mafia gets a 1-shot daykill to be used in the Mafia PT.

The Dragon instantly loses if Captured. The Dragon wins if the game ends before this happens or the Dragon dies.

Mafia win when they outnumber Town or equal Town.

Town win when the Mafia are dead or the Dragon is Captured by the Capture vote.

Mafia may privately communicate at any time.
Changes from v3:

Removed roleblock part of Capture to hopefully unbreak the setup.
Last edited by TemporalLich on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
time will end
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:56 pm

Post by Creature »

I think you just invented a role more annoying to be than survivor.
Sigh
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The original version was terrible because it had no real path to winning.

This one plays more like a Jester who has to not be seen as intentionally a Jester, so at least there's a path to winning. I'm not convinced that Jester is the best role-model for that, though.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:52 am

Post by popsofctown »

It seems better than survivor. I like the jester dynamic with such a powerful check on the jester's power.

The main thing that gives me pause in the setup is the bonus on the captured player. I think in one revision TemporalLich had it as jailing, now it's just protection. Protection seems like maybe not quite the right jigsaw piece here though.
It seems like there's two strats to the dragon, lynchbaiting or playing so protowk you don't come off like a third party. For the lynchbait strategy, it is very kingmakery and makes you feel picked on of the town says, we don't want to use a doc protect on the guy who led our day 1 lunch, we'd rather keep you from your wincon. But then other times maybe they just don't do that, maybe they capture someone with a gamesolving meta who also showed a little bit of dragon equity day1.

For the protown strategy for dragon, sometimes you just do the strat too well and people want to protect you. Or maybe you lynched one scum and people want you protected. And lynching scum is kinda what you wanted to do yo bait NK.

I think maybe a different bonus should be considered. I'm thinking, vig, multivote, temporary lynch immunity, or no bonus at all. Vig and multivote would both create this separate axis where you can try to convince the town that power would be misplaced in your hand, independent of alignment
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 am

Post by popsofctown »

I am typing this message just to remove lunch from my phone's autocorrect suggestions
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 3, popsofctown wrote:It seems better than survivor. I like the jester dynamic with such a powerful check on the jester's power.

The main thing that gives me pause in the setup is the bonus on the captured player. I think in one revision TemporalLich had it as jailing, now it's just protection. Protection seems like maybe not quite the right jigsaw piece here though.
It seems like there's two strats to the dragon, lynchbaiting or playing so protowk you don't come off like a third party. For the lynchbait strategy, it is very kingmakery and makes you feel picked on of the town says, we don't want to use a doc protect on the guy who led our day 1 lunch, we'd rather keep you from your wincon. But then other times maybe they just don't do that, maybe they capture someone with a gamesolving meta who also showed a little bit of dragon equity day1.

For the protown strategy for dragon, sometimes you just do the strat too well and people want to protect you. Or maybe you lynched one scum and people want you protected. And lynching scum is kinda what you wanted to do yo bait NK.

I think maybe a different bonus should be considered. I'm thinking, vig, multivote, temporary lynch immunity, or no bonus at all. Vig and multivote would both create this separate axis where you can try to convince the town that power would be misplaced in your hand, independent of alignment
A pure protect might be a bit too far from a "capture" effect.

If the setup seems too scumsided now, capturing scum could remove their factional capture for the night.

The vigilante-ize variant would be interesting as a different setup.

Extra vote would be the most interesting as a variant of Dragon Capturer (unlike vigilante-ize which would require 1-2 more townies to counter swing I think, this could work for current numbers).

The Dragon Capturer flavor wouldn't make sense though.
time will end
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Post by popsofctown »

My worry is more about making the game fun for the dragon.

I think if the town capture didn't protect and did remove scum capture I like that
"Well, I..."
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I think town's capture has to be something they don't want to aim at scum, because they want to aim the lynch at scum too. It's almost impossible for the Dragon to control which of town's two "aim-at-scum" abilities they'll be hit with.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I think the Dragon Capturer concept works best if:

Town wants to lynch scum, and would rather lynch town than the Dragon
Town wants to capture the Dragon, and would rather capture town than scum
Scum wants to kill town and avoid killing the Dragon
Scum wants to capture the Dragon and avoid capturing town, but not be afraid to capture
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I probably should post a version of doublevote Dragon Capturer
time will end
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:32 am

Post by popsofctown »

I look forward to the reflavor!
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 10, popsofctown wrote:I look forward to the reflavor!
The reflavored setup with extra vote
instead of
on top of protect is here: viewtopic.php?f=115&t=80261
time will end

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”