[SETUP] The Council

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (isolation #0) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I'm worried that an all-town Council will end up overbalancing the game very quickly. (If there's scum on the Council, they will know how to aim their kill and/or roleblock, which is an interesting mechanic as it may betray that there were scum there; but the all-town case is very good for town, and probably not all that unlikely given only three players there.) So I have some concerns about swing.

I do like this sort of mechanic for distributing power roles, though, because it avoids the typical Open problem of players confirming themselves by claiming.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Watcher is actually probably stronger than Cop. Predicting the kill is often easier than finding scum.

Tracker can be as strong as Cop if 1 scum is dead; in practice, it'll probably never be chosen because scum will (at least should) delete it in the gamestates where it's strong.

Neapolitan is interesting in that it's by far the most powerful if given to someone on the Council (who can avoid investigating a power role by mistake), but that makes it easier for scum to find.

Doctor and Bodyguard would probably be given to someone outside the Council, in practice. Hider could be given to any obvtown Council member, because you can't do much about the role even if you know who has it. (I'm assuming this is the purely-protective version of Hider, not the investigative Weak Hider, but it isn't obvious from the post.)

My guess is that this is still townsided, but with WIFOM-heavy setups, it's often hard to figure out the balance.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”