[SETUP] Undertale Semi-Open

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:45 am

Post by Isis »

Undertale MenagerieAlignments:
3 Mafia

9 Townie

Smalltown Roles:
Dogs

Amalgamates

Shopkeeps

Birds

Each day, players vote to spare or hurt a player, with heal or hurt tags, with one vote across each option. A majority on a particular type of choice and a player to receive that choice must be reached to end the day. Players who are hurt are killed completely. Players who are spared lose access to all game related threads except for the Spared PT and can't be targeted by the factional nightkill.
The mafia immediately wins if there are ever two spared mafia players at any time. The town immediately wins if there are ever four spared town players.

There is no night two, three, or four.

After day four, a route is chosen based on the choices that were made:
  • If all days were spares : Pacifist : The town immediately spares an additional player. If the game still isn't over, the players in the spared PT vote on a spared player they believe is mafia, and the town wins if they guess correctly and loses if they guess incorrectly.
  • If all days were hurts : Genocide : The alignments of all Shopkeeps are revealed. The mafia immediately kills a Shopkeeper and a nonShopkeeper.
  • If it was a mixture : Neutral : All win conditions are removed and replaced with a new one. Mafia Birds who have been hurt are worth one point. Mafia Shopkeeps who are holding fruit are worth one point, even if they are dead. Town Amalgams with the ability to vend Fruit are worth one point, even if they are dead. For the rest of the game, the members of the town can summon a player from the spared PT and rejoin them to the game thread by raising a motion that reaches majority vote for doing so.
    The town wins when they have four points or such is impossible.
Role effects:
  • Amalgamates - Amalgamates become nonconsecutive Fruit Vendors once they are spared. They target only unspared players and can act whether or not they are in the spared PT.
  • Shopkeep - Shopkeeps are N1 Bulletproof
  • Dogs - The dogs have a neighborhood.
  • Birds - A bird's alignment flip is delayed until the end of Day 4.
Last edited by Isis on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Post by Isis »

Chara's folly
2 Mafia
1 Mafia Vengeful Chara

9 Town

Each day, players may vote to spare or fight each other. A player who is fought is flipped and killed, a player who is spared is moved to the Spared PT and loses access to the game thread (they can't be targeted by the factional nightkill). Town immediately wins if four town players are spared and no mafia is spared, and mafia immediately wins if two mafia or Chara are spared.
Chara has a bouquet of buttercups. If a townie is fought and there are no spared players, Chara will eat buttercups and die. In the alternative, once two players are spared, Chara will eat buttercups and die. Eating buttercups doesn't trigger vengeful.
After day four the town gets a "route" bonus based on the number of spared players, and the option to spare vanishes.
  • Four : If town hasn't already won or lost, the town immediately spares another player, then all players in the game thread perish without flipping and the occupants of the Spared PT return to the game thread. Those players vote on one guess of the remaining mafia, and win or lose on its correctness.
  • One to three : The mafia must choose an unspared player to be publicly investigated for each living mafia. Skip night 4. Return spared players to the game thread. If mafia was spared, the mafia immediately wins if two of its players survive the day 5 decision.
  • Zero : The mafia must choose two players to be publicly investigated. If Chara was fought, the mafia must choose everyone. Skip night 4.
Last edited by Isis on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:36 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 am

Post by Hectic »

Looks fun flavour/mechwise. I'm struggling to understand why you ever go for 1-3 spares. I suppose you may switch into it from a 4 spare plan if the town is suddenly convinced they spared mafia earlier. You never intend to go for it from the start, right?
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 am

Post by Hectic »

looks amazing and the most fun, but I don't understand the neutral route.
As I understand it currently:

Town's wincon is replaced with this point system, and mafia win by making 4 points impossible to achieve. Day fights and nightkills continue, but town can delay mafia gaining parity by resummoning players from the spare PT. If all 3 of the mafia are a mixture of amalgam/birds, then town autolose. Seems difficult for town to get 4 points unless I'm missing something.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 127, Hectic wrote:Looks fun flavour/mechwise. I'm struggling to understand why you ever go for 1-3 spares. I suppose you may switch into it from a 4 spare plan if the town is suddenly convinced they spared mafia earlier. You never intend to go for it from the start, right?
I forgot to write in the standard element of returning spared players from the game, but that was probably assumed.

If I'm counting correctly, bad play on 1 Spare and 3 Fights removes 6 players from the Charaless 11p, putting the game into 5p FiLo. Bad play on 4 fights removes 7 players from the Charaless 11p and immediately grants the mafia parity. So you get to play an additional phase. You've skipped a fight on the neutral route, but when you do your catch-up-fight from the game not being over, it is one informed by the investigations.

The genocide route on the other hand is more powerful if you eliminated one of the goons early on. You get both investigations, not just one.

I would have been perfectly content if the spare route was only useful when town "realizes" they have spared mafia, since Chara flips midgame even when townread in this setup, so it is reasonably likely for town to have epiphanies. That would be function enough. If that was like 10% route usage that'd be good, town has yet to seriously consider genocide in an live run of the setup :(

______________________________________________________________________________________________
You understand the Menagerie variant exactly right. It's deliberate that the neutral route sucks and that in the worst possible case the neutral route can be impossible to win at all. The idea is for it only to be undertaken if 2-3 points are already confirmed as of the time either stops killing mafia birds or stops sparing town amalgamates (since town amalgamates don't flip, that requires a certain kind of cockiness unless all three amalgamates are spared, which creates an NK WIFOM on the amalgamates.

Since the rand of how many birds and shopkeeps roll scum greatly affects the balance of neutral, you have to assume one of the most anti-scum rands when you balance it, and if that makes the route anti-town it's "okay" because the other two routes are available and don't depend on the rand. It makes the setup philosophically different from the original semiopen in a way (well, like, philosophically different in intent but the revision 1.0 of undertale semi-open is baroken imo and fails to provide genuine route diversity due to it.)

I think I would be ill advised to run menagerie rather than Folly. Folly is at least tied with how long I've thought about a new revision without deciding I hate it and must return to the drawing board posthaste
"Well, I..."
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Post by Hectic »

Ah, I get it now. Yeah, I didn't realise any spared players would return to thread on a neutral route. So, you go for 1 spare/3 fight if you don't get a goon or Chara, and aren't confident about getting one on day 4, so decide to go for a spare instead. The spare route looks the most fun to me still, but the genocide route with the option to transition into neutral on day 4 seems pretty strong with the investigations. I'm assuming you've added the day 5 clause to stop town from triple sparing and then fighting in 7p FiLo after the investigations without any risk. I like it.

For the Menagerie setup, the smalltown roles sound like fun, but neutral as you said is very undesirable. There's less versatility and you kinda lock yourself into a path based on what you do on day 1. If town's misfought thrice in a row, and they're pessimistic about their chances on day 4, then sparing to avoid scum getting parity with the genocide ability is an option I guess.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:01 am

Post by Isis »

The day 5 clause is intended to provide some kind of reward to the mafia for getting mafia spared, as in S_S's original design. That does seem like an incidental positive. There would be 2 ICs and returning spared players on day five, so it would be guaranteed that one of the remaining never-spared players is mafia. If the town misses that 50/50, after townreading a mafia enough to spare them, that seems like a fair loss.

I think I'll run Chara's Folly, if I get another favorable review and become no longer living in 1-2 games
"Well, I..."
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Post by Kerset »

If you got no spared players then 2 ppl are investigated but one of them is instantly nighkilled anyway. If you got 1 spared player then he returns as IC and there is no nightkill.
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Post by Isis »

I do currently have a kill in there, a bit of miscounting in my head but not a miscounting that kills the setup, since a 3p eLo with a confirmed town has the same EV as a 4p eLo with a confirmed town, just the strategic benefit of selecting a voice to remove.

So, if I don't change that, currently, if there's 1 maf left the 0 spare gamestate is
IC
Unconfirmed town
Scum

and the 1 spare gamestate is
IC
Previously spared unconfirmed town
2 Unconfirmed town
Scum

There's an entire additional pair of players alive, but it is a town that is 1 exile behind schedule, so that makes sense. It also makes sense that they would be able to perform an exile here and not lose compared to genocide, that's the one they haven't made yet because they are behind on schedule. The next one, that gets them back onto schedule, loses the game like the other route.

That does seem a little bit stronger than genocide, so maybe leaving both IC voices alive in Genocide would be a good idea
"Well, I..."
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Post by catboi »

I-if Isis won't do it anymore, t-then I wanna try!

Undertale Micro
2 Mafia

7 Town

Each day, there is a vote to spare one player. A player who is spared is moved to the Spared PT and loses access to the game thread (they can't be targeted by the factional nightkill). Town immediately wins if three town players are spared and no mafia is spared, and mafia immediately wins if both mafia are spared.

If, after day 3, exactly one mafia member has been spared, the town votes for one final spare. If the spare is successful (meaning the other mafia member is not spared), the remaining players in the game perish without flipping and the occupants of the Spared PT return to the game thread. Those players vote on one guess of the remaining mafia, and win or lose on its correctness.

I had considered running this as a pared-down version of the setup during the marathon weekend, but there was never a good time for it. Thoughts? It looks balanced-ish, EV-wise (~47% town win), although I worry the "perfect town victory" may be a little too easily achievable in this version. (7/9*5/7*3/5=1/3 chance of all 3 spares being town if decided randomly).

I didn't think up non-pacifist routes because people seemed to like the idea of sparing and I wanted to strip it down to be as simple as possible, and focus on getting one route right before attempting to workshop in any alternate one.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Post by Isis »

The lack of genocide route makes it seem more like a The Coalition variant than a variant of S_S's setup, but Undertale is good flavor for townhunting setups and those numbers might be good.

I do plan to revisit this but want a few months to refresh my approach.
"Well, I..."
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by catboi »

Fair enough! This was mainly a "does this route look decent" type of post. I mayy be able to workshop a genocide route, although with a simplified setup it probably ends up looking like something not very original like desperation day. the challenge is in getting multiple routes that are relatively evenly balanced, and then making a potential neutral path where town might actually have a decent reason to switch depending on game circumstances.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Post by Isis »

Some kind of design where "it becomes good to switch routes when certain slots are towny/scummy" is the most promising which was some of the idea of the Menagerie idea. There is maybe something simpler I could come up with at some point.

It's really hard. If you make a design where a triggering circumstance makes it trivially correct to switch to neutral route, you maybe haven't done that much better.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Post by Isis »

A far saner version of menagerie. Maybe not really an undertale though:
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Post by Isis »

Toriel's Patience3 Mafia
11 Town
Nights 1-3 are skipped.
One player is randomly, publicly Toriel at game start. Toriel has two votes day one, a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter. Toriel can't be voted before day 3 and is the only player who can be voted on day 3.
Between day two and day three, players choose Mercy or Fight. If Mercy is chosen, for there rest of the game eliminations are flavored as sparings and town wins if town spares four townies and loses if it spares two mafia.
If Fight is chosen, those effects are simply not applied.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm

Post by Isis »

someone review this please
"Well, I..."
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 139, Isis wrote:
Toriel's Patience3 Mafia
11 Town
Nights 1-3 are skipped.
One player is randomly, publicly Toriel at game start. Toriel has two votes day one, a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter. Toriel can't be voted before day 3 and is the only player who can be voted on day 3.
Between day two and day three, players choose Mercy or Fight. If Mercy is chosen, for there rest of the game eliminations are flavored as sparings and town wins if town spares four townies and loses if it spares two mafia.
If Fight is chosen, those effects are simply not applied.
This seems unfun for the Toriel player.

To know you can’t really vote anyone and then know you have to be elimmed D3 kinda feels bad?

On top of that you can’t really vote for Mercy or Fight without losing your limited votes?

Plus if they are scum since Toriel is the only elim possible D3 and there’s no punishment you always elim Toriel every time here.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I would actually dress up a super old setup I played on before MS.

Lemme see if I can find it.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Post by MathBlade »

https://forum.throneoflies.com/t/purgat ... -win/72233

This was during a hiatus from MS not before hand. My bad

The biggest flaw was that you could elim a scum for control so you just always elim scum the scummiest players first then control in the main game is with town. So scum was penalized for completing their wincon.

I would change this to where you have Heaven and Hell player stumps. Nightkills do not happen then you just have spare or hurt instead of Heaven/hell

Then build Undertale flavor around it.

If you want NKs to happen you’d have to increase the number of town dramatically here.

This idea could use some smithing as it’s 1 am but I think it’s along the lines of what you’re looking for
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:32 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 140, Isis wrote:someone review this please
I don’t think you ever don’t eliminate toriel D3. Assuming the first two days are normal elims, not spares regardless of choice (my understanding correct me if wrong) then going into the rest of the game you have a mountainous game, potentially an unwinnable one for either faction in mercy route. Not liming toriel takes the game to evens with no way of returning. Probably runnable, but the game should just be called if it starts with two scum lims.

If the spares/elims decision is retroactive, it’s townsided. You just get rid of the two hardest to read players, decide post flip based on whether they were town or scum. If it’s 1-1, you base the decision on whether Toriel is towny or scummy.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:35 am

Post by Jingle »

I would have D3 be a vote for whether heal or hurt and then it always gets applied to toriel thing, btw. Gets rid of the unnecessary decision of do we vote toriel.

Also don’t think toriel is an unfun role. “You only have to care about the game for three phases” is pretty freeing tbh.
This is a Parachute.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 144, Jingle wrote:
In post 140, Isis wrote:someone review this please
I don’t think you ever don’t eliminate toriel D3. Assuming the first two days are normal elims, not spares regardless of choice (my understanding correct me if wrong) then going into the rest of the game you have a mountainous game, potentially an unwinnable one for either faction in mercy route. Not liming toriel takes the game to evens with no way of returning. Probably runnable, but the game should just be called if it starts with two scum lims.

If the spares/elims decision is retroactive, it’s townsided. You just get rid of the two hardest to read players, decide post flip based on whether they were town or scum. If it’s 1-1, you base the decision on whether Toriel is towny or scummy.
In post 145, Jingle wrote:I would have D3 be a vote for whether heal or hurt and then it always gets applied to toriel thing, btw. Gets rid of the unnecessary decision of do we vote toriel.

Also don’t think toriel is an unfun role. “You only have to care about the game for three phases” is pretty freeing tbh.
I am not a fan.

I don’t see how you don’t just elim Toriel anyway.

They are the only slot ever voted.

They can’t vote so they can’t do anything.

If Toriel was a treestump of known alignment it makes sense

But in this game Toriel is a treestump with limited votes and no additional powers and forced to elim itself d3 is just blah.

I know you said you don’t elim Toriel here but a free elim on the only person votable ans no consequences for a failed miselim I elim the slot every time.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Post by Jingle »

I phrased that poorly with a double negative, but the meaning is that you always eliminate toriel. The other option of course being no elimination D3 which leads to evens, also known as a bad idea.

Toriel still has to convince town to spare them D3 (mercy route), unless the game is already autowin for town or sparing them would make it autowin for scum, in which case you might as well skip D3.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:58 pm

Post by Jingle »

Also, as I understand it Toriel is a D1 doublevoter d2 regular voter, so I’m not getting where your complaint of limited voting comes from.
This is a Parachute.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:06 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Toriel has two votes day one, a single vote day two, and no votes thereafter.

I read this as two votes the entire phase of D1 and one vote during all of D2 and no votes at any other point.

A double voter is different than having two votes.

I think it may be the literal part of my brain biting me in the butt.
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”