[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1392 (isolation #0) » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:11 am

Post by ooba »

Night Watch Mafia: 3 Mafia Goons, 1 Role Cop (detects Goons as "vanilla"), 2 Watchers, 1 Hider, 5 Townies

Think this might favor town a lot with mass claim if scum do not hit a watcher in the night.

I looked at the original discussion thread and there wasn't any for this game - just got nominated. Tried finding the link to a game played with this setup - can someone give me the link?

Best plan for town is for
a) Watchers to claim on D1
b) Hider to claim and publicly announce his target before every night

Each watcher independently chooses to watch either the target of the hider or the other watcher.
Chances of scum getting caught if they hit watcher=p (Say 50%)
Chances of scum getting caught if they hit target=1-(1-p)^2=75%

If hider does not die, then you get a cleared innocent.
If hider dies (and his target does not), then you know his target was scum.

Either way, I see one goon being sacrificed for the hider(plus maybe one townie) and one goon for the set of watchers. I haven't even taken the role cop into consideration but he also increases cleared innocents by 1.

It sort of becomes like prisoners dilemna and gives the town good odds. I think Mafia should have a roleblocker.

So it should be
Night Watch Mafia: 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Role Cop (detects Goons as "vanilla"), 2 Watchers, 1 Hider, 5 Townies
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1399 (isolation #1) » Fri May 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Post by ooba »

Hoopla wrote:I don't have a name lined up yet, but I was thinking about this yesterday;

- There are four powerroles; Jailkeeper, 1-shot-vig, Tracker, Role-Cop

- Three of these roles are chosen randomly.

- Of those three, the town gets two, and scum gets one (also determined randomly)

- 2 mafia vs. 8 townies, Daystart

My initial thoughts are there aren't any blindingly obvious breaking strategies. Even the potency of scum gaining the 1-shot-vig is minimalised by starting with even numbers, so a double-kill doesn't remove one of the three town mislynches. I randomly generated a few set-ups using this formula and I didn't see any obviously unbalanced games - this is probably due to each role having town and scum use.

But I'm worried there might be breaking strategies that emerge from the
amount
of powerroles being known in the game - an early scum PR lynch creates two confirmed town PR's which would be very hard to come back from. I wouldn't mind someone probing this concern further than I did, because it feels exploitable.

The obvious solution (if there is a problem), is to include additional options with fluctuating amounts of PR's, but I feel it is unwanted complexity, when the appeal to me is the very managable amount of scenarios possible. I don't want to increase that number too much.

I wouldn't mind some thoughts on this though.
Well if scum is lynched D1, then its pretty bad for them - esp. if the powerless goon is lynched.

Assuming the powerless goon is lynched and a night kill on townie occurs, the best strategy for the town is to mass claim.
- Scum cannot claim his power role because then all the town has to do is to lynch the three powerroles in a row
- If Rolecop was on the town side, he clears a townie on N1 (but this happens only in the case of the powerless goon being lynched)
- If JK was on the town side, he clears a townie on N1 (since a kill happened; I am assuming JK's target cannot perform his night actions)
- So can a tracker

So there's a good chance you'll have 2-4 confirmed townies at the end of N1 (out of 7/8) if one of the scum is lynched depending on which roles are there on the town side.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1423 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 am

Post by ooba »

Make it 14:2:2. Every Mafia (Goons and RB,if any) get one-shot nightkill immunity. Ninja, if any, gets no night kill protection.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1425 (isolation #3) » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:45 am

Post by ooba »

Alduskkel wrote:
ooba wrote:Make it 14:2:2. Every Mafia (Goons and RB,if any) get one-shot nightkill immunity. Ninja, if any, gets no night kill protection.
With a 50% chance of there being only 1 Doctor in an 18p setup, if a Mafia fails to make a kill then they're just going to target the player a second time. So you're just delaying the cross killing.
Well I'd concentrate on killing the town first before cross-killing; I'd be happy that I removed his\her immunity. Although I agree that the kill becomes too informational for the scum.

Another Suggestion:
a) Remove 2 VTs from each of the half games. You'd have 10:2:2.
b) Still need some way to nerf the Ninja team. You have to keep the two scum teams relatively balanced in terms of power.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1454 (isolation #4) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:38 am

Post by ooba »

I was thinking up an idea for the mini theme queue (since I am not sure how "normal" it is). However it is an open setup so thought I'll post it here to see if its balanced\viable and such:

Setting is a nuclear submarine where two foreign spies have infiltrated the ship. The spies manage to shot the captain in his quarters and grievously wound him. They hear footsteps outside and flee. The captain is carried to the medical station; here he tells the medic the ship control-code and dies. Unfortunately for the crew, the only people who know how to operate the main control unit are the spies and the second-in-command.

12 people
2 spies
1 medic (secret-sharer; not a doc or anything - just the guy who starts out with the code)
1 second-in-command
8 crew

Day start
- every day, we have a lynch
- every night, the secret-sharer HAS to share the code with another person
- every night, spies get to kill one person

Town wins
- if spies are lynched (or)
- the code reaches the second-in-command

Spies win if
- they overpower town i.e standard 50% of people remaining condition (or)
- the code reaches either of them
- none of the remaining townies know the code

Killing in night happens only after secret sharing. If the secret-sharer is lynched\killed, one of the other townies knowing the secret becomes the secret-sharer. (if more than one, chosen at random)
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1456 (isolation #5) » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 am

Post by ooba »

Max wrote:Could be over day one or night one.

Presumably the code sharer would claim if about to be lynched. But a spy would counter claim. If the second-in-command is killed then the mafia must kill people that are more scummy as they want as many people with the code to stay alive (so the medic chooses one of them).

It's definitely a theme.
True. What I had in mind was the simple concept of "One guy having a code and wanting to pass it to another person. If they pass it to scum they lose." - somehow cant get it down to my liking.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”