[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1471 (isolation #0) » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:54 am

Post by Socrates »

If the cop claims, the doc enabler should counterclaim him (or possibly get the drop on him by claiming first), that way if the counter fails, then the doc is disabled and the scum are free to kill the cop. two power roles dealt with for the price of 1 scum in even the worst case scenario (and even better if the scum is believed) seems like an even trade.

I hope that game gets chosen, because I would love to play it.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1532 (isolation #1) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:59 am

Post by Socrates »

Hello. When Farside asked me what setup I wanted to run, I asked if I could run The Fonz's The More You Know Mafia:
The Fonz wrote:How about:
The More You Know Mafia

Cop
Doc
Vig

Six Townies

Mafia Cop Enabler (Corrupt Chief of Police)
Mafia Doc Enabler (Corrupt Hospital Administrator)
Mafia Vig Enabler (Corrupt Gun Shop Owner)

The town power roles no longer function once the linked scum dies.
but Farside expressed some concern about the balance of the game and asked if I could get some more discussion about it from players with more setup design experience.

Personally, I feel that the setup is such that no side has any distinct advantage over the other, but that there is a lot of room for player skill to influence the game, and that it encourages players to rethink how they approach power roles (particularly the cop and vig).

Of course, I have never modded a game before and know next to nothing about setup balance from that perspective. Anybody willing to give their two cents?

Edit: Farside needs an answer by tomorrow, otherwise I will just run something else.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1534 (isolation #2) » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Post by Socrates »

Thats not too powerful of a strategy. Bussing a specific member of your scumteam right out of the gates enough to ensure the wagon is pushed through would be pretty hard to do without being obvious about it, and even if you succeed you still have to deal with one confirmed townie in the cop himself still being able to claim even if he can't investigate. It would be more 8v2 with a vig, doc, and an "Earl" and a whole day of (fairly predictable) interactions. Failing to bus and shooting one of your own members at night is even worse as under my interpretation of the setup the cop would still get one investigation in.

The point about the vig isn't too big because a sucessful vig kill puts the town very far ahead at that point anyway.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”