[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #215 (isolation #0) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 171, Hoopla wrote:Hey Vi. I've been thinking that the current roster thing is kind of a silly, unnecessary exercise. I feel like the easiest way to determine which games are chosen is to just assign a category (small/mid/large/experimental) to an upcoming mod and just let them pick whatever game they want from that pool. Then once that game has been chosen, it gets locked out for 5 picks (or half the amount of setups within the category) - I don't know yet exactly. This way you get a roster that changes by itself so different games get picked, but there is still an element of popularity involved. Does that make sense?

Yes, and I like it.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #218 (isolation #1) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:18 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Eh, I think going 5 games without a repeat in any given category is perfectly reasonable (less if the sum total of candidates is lower; see Approved Large Opens).

If you make it mathematical, then it's easy for the List Mod/coders to help mods choose what can come next, without any bias/headache.

Is there a reason you're aiming for assigning categories, though? Just to prevent cherrypicking?
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #222 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I'm fine with a longer lockout for failed signups.

Maybe you cannot pick the same category as the last game signup? Last two signups? Iunno...
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #227 (isolation #3) » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 225, Hoopla wrote:
In post 224, izakthegoomba wrote:What counts as an "experienced mod"?

One game successfully completed as a mod.

FTFY
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #264 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 263, izakthegoomba wrote:And they're even worse as Town PRs. And SEs and ICs are likely more use to scum than town.

Which is, IMO, where the Newbie setup balance issue stems from.

While I agree with you on the utility of experience, that doesn't stop F11 from being, a problematic setup.think of it as a failed evolutionary branch of C9 - whereas C9++ explicitly goes for balanced variations, F11 has two variants that are not fun for one faction or the other.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #311 (isolation #5) » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:46 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

I hate Assassin in the Palace, but it's very popular to just be binned by one thread.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #358 (isolation #6) » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Uhh, 60% IS way better than average scumhunting, though. And it's easier.

Follow the Cop in the Original Newbie Setup wasn't 100% or even 80% effective either, but it made the game too damn easy.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #407 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:17 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 398, IceGuy wrote:In principle, I don't have a problem with hypo* strategies as long as they are not infalliable or almost infalliable.

Weak M.D. and Gurgi EC8 provide too few possibilities for scum to interfere with town's plans. JK9++ has the possibility of a hider but enough unknown variables to make a hypo* strategy beneficial but not (almost) game-breaking.

Nicely said.
In post 401, callforjudgement wrote:That reminds me, I've been meaning to start hypocopping in Normals too. (More hypobreadcrumbing: "If I have a role who would want to make a breadcrumb, I breadcrumb <name of player>.", regardless of what my role is.) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well in a Normal as it would in an Open.

I'd like to see that brought up in Mafia Discussion first. Some players may see it as game-ruining, and you'll get cleaner opinions outside of games.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”