[OLD] Open Setup Ideas and Discussion

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6406 (isolation #0) » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:17 am

Post by pieguyn »

well it's almost the 3 month mark for me and mith has preemptively told me my offsite experience is "probably fine" so I was trying to think of a setup to host

so I was thinking about Random Cops because I think the whole principle of the role is hilarious..yeah that might make me a bastard mod :P but I was trying to come up with a viable setup using a Random Cop, and I came up with this.

Don't Follow the Cop

2 - Mafia Goon
1 - Sane Cop
1 - Random Cop
1 - Doctor
4 - Vanilla Townies

where the cops don't know their sanities, and sanity isn't revealed on flip.

I don't think any setup like this using a Random Cop exists, correct me if I'm wrong. at first look it seems balanced enough but I don't want there to be any chance of this being broken <_>

can someone pls give thoughts on this? :3
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6408 (isolation #1) » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:59 am

Post by pieguyn »

then town ends up only having 1 person investigated defeating the whole point of having a cop

or mafia can just NK one of the cops and no one will ever know for sure the other cop is sane ~

I don't think it's possible to completely solve the game like in Dethy based on cop results, since there's a random cop and there's only 2 cops with 9 players.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6410 (isolation #2) » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by pieguyn »

yeah that's the main problem I foudn with the setup :cry:

just massclaiming already outs 3 townies. mb putting more players in (3 goons and 3 PRs with 11 players) can help to solve it a bit?

that strategy would work but there's a lot that could go wrong indeed, so it's probably something that could be testedto see how viable it really is
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6413 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6411, JasonWazza wrote:Possible solution: Make only the sane cop Macho.
oo I like

only problem I can see with that is if a successful protect on a cop occurs, everyone knows it's the random cop. also if the doctor targets a cop and then that cop dies, then the remaining cop is random. half the fun is not knowing which cop is which :D

Bicephalous Bob wrote:Crazier solution: give all power roles the same cop/doc role PM. Return random results to both the random cop and the doctor. This would make fakeclaiming easier.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6424 (isolation #4) » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6414, JasonWazza wrote:
In post 6413, pieguyn wrote:
In post 6411, JasonWazza wrote:Possible solution: Make only the sane cop Macho.
oo I like

only problem I can see with that is if a successful protect on a cop occurs, everyone knows it's the random cop. also if the doctor targets a cop and then that cop dies, then the remaining cop is random. half the fun is not knowing which cop is which :D
How does anyone know it was a successful cop protect?

Yes Doctor can confirm the cops, on the off chance, but you risk that happening anyway, this just nullifys a follow the cop situation arising, it also makes it less likely for a massclaim of any kind to happen early on.
good point

still not sure if it's too many PRs to have 3 claimable PRs in a 9 man game. I could just remove the doctor, but then I can't call it "Don't Follow the Cop" :P
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6463 (isolation #5) » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6406, pieguyn wrote:
Don't Follow the Cop v2

1 - Mafia Goon
1 - Mafia Rolecop
1 - Sane Cop
1 - Random Cop
1 - Bodyguard
4 - Vanilla Townies
what if I put a bodyguard instead of a doctor? it seems like it might be an OK compromise, cause it'll make it harder for town to keep all the confirmeds alive

the rolecop can also help find out power roles. if I put a rolecop, making th esane cop macho could be a better possibility

thoughts? :3
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6554 (isolation #6) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Post by pieguyn »

was thinking about duck duck goose cause I like the idea of the whole town having 1-shot abilities, and came up with this

3 - mafia goon
10 - 1-shot tracker

I have no idea if it's balanced but throwing it out there anyway
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6556 (isolation #7) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Post by pieguyn »

can't the same thing happen in duck duck goose if every single PGO arms themselves N1 o.o

I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that is
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6559 (isolation #8) » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Post by pieguyn »

holy crap that's a massive oversight. I need to quit trying to do stuff at 2 in the morning @_@

3 - mafia 1-shot tracker
10 - 1-shot tracker

I'd guess mafia can't track and kill on the same night but I don't think it even makes a difference
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6576 (isolation #9) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Post by pieguyn »

I had an idea that was similar to that

3 mafia doctors
7 town doctors
3 vanilla townies
-if a circular protection occurs, all protections in said circle will fail
seems unbalanced as shit but screw it

anyway, carry on ~
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6578 (isolation #10) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Post by pieguyn »

actually, here's a serious idea

Half-Nightless

-3 mafia goons
-10 vanilla townies

-the game is nightless for the most part... however, whenever a mafia gets lynched, the remaining mafia get a small night round where they get a return kill on a town player

I was wondering about mountainous games and this stops the mafia from just killing off all the strong, organizing players, while still giving them some sort of control over the situation. it seems like it might be an ok balance. thoughts?
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6580 (isolation #11) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Post by pieguyn »

are you stalking me or what

that's the second time I've posted in here where you responded pretty much immediately 0.0//

anyway, the difference there is mafia have more control over the kill that way. when the first mafia is lynched the remaining 2 mafia have a bit of extra time to plan stuff out and make a kill that's possibly better for them, as opposed to it being decided solely by the mafia who got lynched. unless the mafia who gets lynched can still talk in the mafia QT after he gets lynched but before he makes his shot, but that seems weird o.o
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6582 (isolation #12) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Post by pieguyn »

<3
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6730 (isolation #13) » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Post by pieguyn »

Bulletproof's Mafia

2 - Mafia Goons
1 - 1-shot Bulletproof SK
5 - 1-shot Bulletproof Townies
1 - Town Doctor (protects from 1 NK)

BPs get notified when hit

i stole the idea from another site. i have no idea if this is balanced
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6738 (isolation #14) » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6732, GuyInFreezer wrote:There's a similar setup in EpicMafia.
1 goon, 4 1SBP, 1 SK, 1 doc, night start. Has 50% Town win, 25% Mafia win, and 25% SK win if you want stats.
WTF
that's the exact same setup as the one I stole the idea from. i guess that's where the guy i stole it from got it > <

not notifying BPs when hit would greatly reduce claimability. sure it's swingy as fuck but that's true about any multiball setup (and in this case a 9p setup with an SK will probably run into similar problems no matter what)
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6740 (isolation #15) » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 am

Post by pieguyn »

yeah sry for confusion, I think not notifying when hit is a good idea. it prevents any way of clearing people via being hit. although mafia could also do a no kill gambit and claim they got hit

yeah I got really bored so I wrote a simulator for the setup but I don't trust I did it right 0.0 I'd rather do an actual EV calculation before putting nay results up
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6989 (isolation #16) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Post by pieguyn »

Choose your enemy

2 - Mafia goon
2 - Innocent Child
3 - VT

mechanic: pregame, scum chooses the 2 ppl who become ICs. they may only kill an IC the night after a scum lynch.

does smth like this exist already
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6992 (isolation #17) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6991, JasonWazza wrote:Does the scum still have a kill that they can use on VT's if they don't die?

Either way it's townsided, 3P LYLO can only ever be a Goon, IC and a VT, it's just a matter of how many lynches the scum have to dodge in such a conf town heavy environment.
yep

it does seem kind of town sided but ultimately it's up to scum who the person who has the deciding vote in LYLO is. but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it x_x

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”