Trapping Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Trapping Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:44 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

Trapping Mafia

2 Goons
5 Townies

Once during the game, a townie may set a trap. If a goon attempts to kill a townie who set a trap, the goon is eliminated instead.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

so bsaically 2 v 5 PGOs?
seems like it could be decent, although a scum lynch day 1 kinda fucks scum a bit
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Purple Nurple
Purple Nurple
Mafia Scum
Purple Nurple
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Post by Purple Nurple »

does a scum lynch day 1 in any micro not fuck scum?
Hydra of Eddie Cane and mastina.
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by acidphoenix »

do you actually acknowledge the mechanics or just pretend it's nightless
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:58 pm

In post 1, Randomnamechange wrote:so bsaically 2 v 5 PGOs?
seems like it could be decent, although a scum lynch day 1 kinda fucks scum a bit
Not exactly, PGOs still die if they're shot while armed.
In post 3, acidphoenix wrote:do you actually acknowledge the mechanics or just pretend it's nightless
Oh man, can't believe I forgot to consider this. First solution that comes to mind is to only allow one no-kill and one no-lynch, but it's not really satisfactory.
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Post by acidphoenix »

going to be honest as is I see very little incentive for scum to not go "nope not dealing with this shit" and shoot rarely if ever

no lynching isn't correct the mechanics benefit town so don't need to worry there though
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:16 pm

I haven't run any numbers, but if a goon is lynched d1 and the remaining goon no-kills n1, it might be optimal to nl to force a shot and get back to odd numbers. Two nl's are probably never necessary, though.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

5:2 Nightless is close enough to balanced, so if the scum repeatedly no-kill the setup's in the right place.

I think the town have too much of a concentration of backfiring-kill power, though. A 5:2 most commonly only has two nightkills (it can have one or three, but two is the most common number). In a must-kill/must-lynch game, that means that half the town can arm N1 and the other half N2, to give a 3 in 4 chance of a backfiring kill on scum. That seems too high to me. Allowing one no-kill and one no-lynch spreads this out among 3 nights instead, meaning that if the town spreads their arming evenly over three night (the optimal, as scum will no-kill on the night when the most townies arm), that gives scum an 8 in 27 chance of avoiding a backfire all three times (i.e. a 19 in 27 or about 70% chance that at least one backfire happens). If a backfire happens, this setup balances similarly to a 6:1 with extra associative information, which is clearly too townsided.

I like the idea and think that this could probably be fixed just by changing the numbers. For a must-lynch/must-kill setup, I'd guess somewhere like 8:3 might work (I haven't done a formal EV calculation of this, but 6:3 feels scumsided and 10:3 feels townsided, so aim in the middle). Having three scum would be more tolerant of a D1 scum lynch, too. (Note that if the town decide to all arm on the same night, this basically makes the setup into Lynch Or No Lynch except that town get an additional lynch the night that they force a scum "sacrifice"; if 9:3 is balanced there, 8:3 is probably slightly townsided here, but Lynch Or No Lynch has never been run so maybe it's scumsided.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 pm

I calculated the binomial probs for the single no-kill setup, but I got different results. Am I correct in thinking you used n=3, p=1/3? It's n=2, since scum cannot die in the night they no-kill.
In post 7, callforjudgement wrote:this setup balances similarly to a 6:1
I'd say 5:1.

So town EV is 11 + .44 * (EV 5:1) + .44 * (EV 5:2) = .11 + .44 * 47% + .44 * 23% = 41%.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”