[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #950 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 948, TrueSoulEnergy wrote:Aren’t Open Games usually 13 Peeps
Yes but that’s more a facet of laziness than a desired feature. 13p is easier to balance because the people who balance opens have experience with it.

If you come up with a setup that balances better with a different number than that’s actually desirable.

Generally speaking, you want an odd number of players for the majority of the game if possible and you should avoid setups that are prohibitively large (20+ people would be a nightmare to fill regularly) but non 13p setups (and setups that start at evens if it makes sense to) are actually more desirable than 13p imo because they add options to choose from.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #951 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Post by Jingle »

Balance wise, there’s no reason to need to force air to start as town. Otherwise it seems fine. Scum doesn’t have a nk, but they potentially have access to three killing roles. It’s a very skill based setup, but it seems fair. I’d personally leave the neighborhoods open during the day because I don’t see a reason not to but that’s a personal choice thing.

I’m assuming factional pt is a “neighborhood” but you could just leave it as a factional pt and give everyone a randomly assigned neighborhood to cut down on room for misunderstandings, since the factional pt isn’t really a neighborhood.

Darkness will be a struggle to keep people active, I’d bet.

Does air remove the player’s previous neighborhood ala fogport? Doesn’t really change much, but it would make for some interesting analysis.

Worth noting that you have 3kpn, which is high swing. Not sure how much you care about that.
This is a Parachute.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #952 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:40 am

Post by DrDolittle »

Good Reads Club
1 Mafia Multitasking Roleblocker

1 Mafia Multitasking Backup Roleblocker

7 Random Cop

Let
T
and
M
be town and mafia left in the game, respectively.
  • Random Cop
    gives town results with probability
    T/(T+M)
  • In addition to an investigation target,
    Cops
    submit a read list with players grouped into TOWN UNKNOWN MAFIA categories. This list is scored: For every correct placement of player aligned with town, the list gets
    +M
    points, and for every incorrect placement, the list gets
    -M
    points. For every correct placement of player aligned with mafia, the list gets
    +T
    points, and for every incorrect placement, the list gets
    -T
    points. UNKNOWN placements are worth
  • The
    Random Cop
    with the top scoring list becomes
    1) Sane 2) Strongman 3) Bulletproof
    for the night.
  • The
    Random Cop
    with the second and third scoring list becomes
    1) Sane
    for the night.
  • Players are not informed whether their investigation is sane, no the points of their list.
  • Mafia
    win when they equal or outnumber the
    Town
    Town
    wins if all
    Mafia
    are dead.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #953 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by Jingle »

How are list ties resolved?

Could you clarify RC results probability? are they naive T/(T+M) amount of the time and sane the rest of the time? (That's how I parse it, but I think it's ambiguous enough that it should be clarified anyway.) I'm assuming it's not the traditional random cop where it just fails a certain percentage of the time, but sane/insane is probably less breakable than naive/sane.
This is a Parachute.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #954 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:57 am

Post by Kerset »

For every correct placement of player aligned with town, the list gets +M points
M points decrease odds to get correct result. It is non intuitive to punish player for correct assignment. Assuming mislynch:
6/(6+2) = 0.75
6/(6+3) = 0.67

The best tactic would be to just take 75% accuracy, which is really decent and check single player with 2 or 3 cops. You got 3 cops with 75% accuracy and 3 cops with 100% accuracy, one cop is being blocked. Two positive results on single person means IC here, two negative are confirmed scum. Even if scum try to give false results, i am pretty sure that this setup is townsided.
Especially that in case of correct lynch
7/(7+1) = 0.875
5/(5+1) = 0.83

its almost whiteflag

I would suggest P = number of players | M = number of mafia * 10
(M-P)/M

-1 P point for correct assignment and +1 P for incorrect and no extra reward for being the best.
I would also prevent players from placing everyone on MAFIA list, so they don't try to play as insane cop
giv me pagetop :(
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #955 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:04 am

Post by DrDolittle »

Oh sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant that Random Cop is literally randomized result in the sense no matter who is checked, the result is town T/(T+M) times, and scum M/(T+M) times. Thus, effectively the result is bogus. I prefer this over the "naive cop"/"paranoid cop" because I want people to internalize they could have bad reads conditional on flips of both alignments.

List ties --- probably just randomize who gets first second and third.

@Kerset see above. I meant for the bad-reads club cops to have no investigative power, while hiding from the players themselves who has the good reads and who has the bad reads.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #956 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:06 am

Post by DrDolittle »

PS - the point system has the nice feature that if you place everyone in your list on MAFIA/TOWN/UNKNOWN, you point total is always 0.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #957 (ISO) » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:10 am

Post by Jingle »

I feel like there might be strategy in massclaiming readlist submissions. If everyone picks a different mafia submission and puts the rest in unknown, then inaccurate flips can be used as pseudo clears.
This is a Parachute.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #958 (ISO) » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I am trying to make a new setup which I am putting in the undertale opens setup thread but I want some feedback on it if I can please get any: viewtopic.php?p=11661807#p11661807
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #959 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 am

Post by Karnage »

Saw the mini-theme queue is looking for mods so I put together a quick game based on our current pandemic. I would appreciate any thoughts:

Pandemic Mafia13 Players (1 Cult, 1 SK, 11 Townies)

Virus
(BP Cult Recruiter/Poisoner)
The Flu
(Serial Killer)
Town Vigiliante

Town Odd Night Hider

Town Even Night Hider

• Each day phase, players must choose a player to receive an experimental treatment. If they are town, they will be sent to the morque. If they are anti-town, they are "cured" and removed from the game.
    Lynching is compulsive
    (plurality voting, if there is a tie BOTH players are lynched)
  • Virus
    -
    Bulletproof
    Can infect 1 player each night. (Infected join the "scum" team but will die the following night.)
  • Virus wins when the majority of the town is infected or nothing can prevent that from happening.
  • The Flu
    - Immune to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to kill
  • The Flu wins when all other players have died or have been cured.
  • Town Vigiliante
    - Immune to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to kill
  • Town Odd/Even Night Hiders
    - Can social distance on their night to prevent becoming infected or killed.
  • Town wins when all anti-town players have been "cured"

I think it might be skewed against the cult?
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #960 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 am

Post by Jingle »

Eh. Bp cult leader should be enough. Vig doesn’t really make sense thematically, imo, but it should be balanced enough.
This is a Parachute.
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #961 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:35 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 960, Jingle wrote:Eh. Bp cult leader should be enough. Vig doesn’t really make sense thematically, imo, but it should be balanced enough.
the vig is supposed to be a dr that can give a player an experimental treatment at night. it "cures" anti-town and kills town.

Maybe I'll call the vig a "Quack Doctor" or something and the hiders "Patients"
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #962 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 am

Post by Karnage »

Some modifications, I originally used "hider" when I meant to us "Commuter"

Virus
(BP Cult Recruiter/Poisoner)
The Flu
(Serial Killer)
Town Quack Doctor

Town Odd Night Commuter

Town Even Night Commuter

• Each day phase, players must choose a player to receive an experimental treatment. If they are town, they will be sent to the morgue/killed. If they are anti-town, they are "cured" and removed from the game.
    Lynching is compulsive
  • Virus
    -
    Bulletproof
    Can infect 1 player each night. (Infected join the "scum" team but will die the following day.)
  • Virus wins when the majority of the town is infected or nothing can prevent that from happening.
  • The Flu
    -
    Immune
    to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to try and kill
  • The Flu wins when all other players have died or have been cured.
  • Quack Doctor
    -
    Immune
    to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to receive the experimental treatment.
  • Town Odd/Even Night Commuters
    - Can social distance on their night to prevent becoming infected or killed.
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #963 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Post by popsofctown »

The flu is a type of virus, you could improve the flavor there.
Also this game is ten times more fascinating with the same EV balance if the Virus's target becomes the new "Virus" and it's the original one that dies.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #964 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Post by Karnage »

In post 963, popsofctown wrote:The flu is a type of virus, you could improve the flavor there.
Also this game is ten times more fascinating with the same EV balance if the Virus's target becomes the new "Virus" and it's the original one that dies.
Good point about flu/virus

the target surviving and the original dying is absolute genius!
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #965 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Post by popsofctown »

That setup looks really favorable to town if you're telling Commuters what kind of Commuter they are. The day one massclaim doesn't degenerate the game to a single point with 5 duplicates of each, but it degenerates it a lot, and people don't usually want to play games that are day1 massclaims.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #966 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Post by popsofctown »

in the context of an open there's not really a downside to making a commuter compulsive and even or odd and refusing to tell the commuter what kind of commuter it is. In a closed "i'm gonna stop commuting so you can check me" is the fanciness but that's not possible here so you're just removing an element people usually don't like that much.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #967 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Post by popsofctown »

you would get this cute dynamic where the virus might guess a player's evenness or oddness based on where they expected the flu to shoot after a shot fails even though the victim doesn't know their own evenness or oddness
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #968 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm

Post by popsofctown »

"Well, I..."
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #969 (ISO) » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Post by Karnage »

Further adjustments... I'm replacing "the flu" with "sepsis", the infected player inherits the virus role and the original player dies, and patients don't know if they are even/odd commuters. I'm also removing the bulletproof protection from the virus.

Virus
(Cult Recruiter/Self-Poisoner)
Sepsis
(Serial Killer)
Town Quack Doctor
(Essentially a Vig)
Town Patient
(Odd Night Compulsive Commuter)
Town Patient
(Even Night CompulsiveCommuter)
  • Each day phase, players must choose a player to receive an experimental treatment. If they are town, they will be killed. If they are anti-town, they are "cured" and removed from the game.
    Lynching is compulsive
  • Virus
    - Can infect 1 player each night. The Virus player dies at the end of the next day phase and the infected player inherits the Virus role. If the targeted player is also targeted by sepsis or quack, the infection fails. If the virus is targeted by sepsis or quack, the virus faction survives with an infected player.
  • Sepsis
    -
    Immune
    to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to try and kill them.
  • Sepsis wins when all other players have died or have been cured.
  • Quack Doctor
    -
    Immune
    to being infected. Can target 1 player each night to receive the treatment. anti-town targets are cured, patients are killed
  • Town Patients
    - Are not told if they are even/odd night compulsive commuters.

I think the original "virus" role will receive an "infected" role PM pregame, they don't become the virus until the end of day 1. the "virus" role PM will be part of the virus PT
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #970 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Post by popsofctown »

"Well, I..."
Knightmare491
Knightmare491
Goon
Knightmare491
Goon
Goon

Post Post #971 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2020 6:23 am

Post by Knightmare491 »

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... _With_Guns

In the above setup, what is stopping the town from asking everyone to post BOMB:Player name(bolded) to out the suicide bomber?
"Don't be afraid of losing people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone."

"If you're bored contemplate the fact that the collective reads of n players in a n-player game of Mafia define a set of vectors in an n-space, and useful game information can be extracted from this."
~Rectiplanes
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #972 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2020 9:56 am

Post by Kerset »

If player would ask me in PM to ignore his bolded request before he posted it then i would respect it.
Blatant Scum
Blatant Scum
Mafia Scum
Blatant Scum
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #973 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2020 12:32 pm

Post by Blatant Scum »

Mod might require PM for the bomb attack to work.
Don’t forget about how when I asked him for a link to his scumgame, he linked THIS game. - Pyrrha Nikos
He usually never puts effort into reads like that, which does sometimes get him scumread, but since he was on an alt and we didn't know his meta, I can see CL!him making reads as an exception since he knows he'll probably be scumread otherwise.
-Hectic
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #974 (ISO) » Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Post by Isis »

Looks like the setup has actually been run with this oversight. I think if you ran a slightly flawed setup like this, and one townie figured out that exploit midgame and pressured the suicide mafia about doing it in a time sensitive way, I would pragmatically accept Kerset's approach as a way of handling what has happened.

I think the cleanest answer is to specify in the suicide bomber role PM that only bombings submitted by PM are valid, and to post all role PMs in the OP.

There might be some fancy convoluted redesign you could do that converts the Vanilla townies to Loyal Suicide Bombers and pulls the strategy into some sort of range where it can be useful but isn't gamebreaking, but Kids With Guns isn't interesting enough to me for me to want to figure out how exactly I'd turn those knobs.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”