[SETUP] repository of my various old open setups

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

[SETUP] repository of my various old open setups

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:42 am

Post by xyzzy »

I figure it makes sense to have these all in one place. I've included most of the ones that aren't blatantly completely terrible, so these are sort of a mixed bag:
In post 4855, xyzzy wrote:
Rapid Fire

2 Mafia
10 Town

Each day the town may lynch two people (one at a time), and each night the mafia may kill two people.

---

The town only has a 31% chance of winning assuming random play, but I believe the fact that a town loss will involve 6 lynches and 4 mafia kills gives the town a pretty significant boost; 50% more kills via lynching than mafia killing is a pretty big deal.
In post 5417, xyzzy wrote:
Shot in the Dark

2 Mafia
6 Townies

Lynching each day is mandatory. As long as both Mafia are still alive, each Townie may submit what they believe to be the identities of the Mafia, and if any individual Townie accurately guesses both identities in the same night, the town wins. Once either member of the Mafia dies, they lose this ability.

--------

If the guesses resolve before the Mafia kill resolves (i.e. the guess of the person the Mafia kills is included), then based on random guessing the town has a 41% chance of winning; this is reduced to a 32% chance of the town winning if the kill resolves first. It's been way too long since I've played for me to be able to reasonably judge how powerful this ability is, and therefore which of these figures is more balanced, but I imagine one of those probably is pretty close to perfectly balanced when the normal town advantage is accounted for.

The mandatory lynching is obviously a necessity to prevent the town from just using their power every night 4 nights in a row.
In post 8680, xyzzy wrote:I don't have a clever idea for a name:

2 mafia
8 townies
1 public cop

the way the public cop works is that the PC chooses an investigation target and then the result is publicly revealed, but no name is attached to it. the mafia, in addition to a night kill, also have their own public cop ability. therefore, each day, the town is given a message with either "2 town", "2 mafia" or "1 town, 1 mafia". the public cop doesn't receive any additional information about the investigation results.

obviously, the mafia can manipulate their half of the results however they like, since they already know the alignment of anyone they investigate; if both investigations are for the same alignment, the PC can be completely sure of the result, so the challenge for the mafia is to try to predict who the PC will target and always target someone from the other faction (or just kill whoever the PC targets if it's a townie).
In post 8690, xyzzy wrote:
3/4 Wagera series of 3 person mountainous games with a total of 4 players in the setup--each round, one player is out of the game (with an ordered cycle to which player isn't in the game at any given time), and that player is told the identity of one of the town players at random.

each player begins the game with 5 points, and any time the town wins, each town player receives 1 point, and any time the mafia wins, the mafia player receives 2 points.

after the player not in that round is told the identity of a town player and before voting begins each game, each player in the game may wager 4 points that they will win that game. if a town player wagers that they will win and is correct, they will receive an additional 6 points at the end of the game, and if they are incorrect, the mafia player will receive an additional 4 points; if a mafia player wagers that they will win and is correct, they will receive an additional 12 points at the end of the game, and if they are incorrect, each town player will receive an additional 2 points. the player not in the game may wager 3 points on whether the town or mafia will win, and if they are correct, they will receive 6 points at the end of the game. players may not wager points that they do not have.

the first player to 30 points wins the game. if two players reach 30 points in the same game, the player who has the higher score wins. if both players have the same score, the one who won more wagers wins. if both players won the same number of wagers, the player who won the most games wins. if both players won the same number of games, both players win.

thoughts???
In post 8858, xyzzy wrote:
Copmaker2 Mafia
7 Town

At the beginning of the game, a random townie will become the Copmaker, who gets to select one player each night to receive an investigative result. If the Copmaker dies, a new random townie will be selected as the Copmaker.

The Copmaker will not have their identity revealed as such when they die. If the player the Copmaker targets is also targeted by the Mafia factional kill, that player's identity as the Cop for the night will not be revealed.
In post 8894, xyzzy wrote:Delayed Kill

2 mafia
7 town

night start

whenever a player is killed by the mafia during the night, that player doesn't immediately die--the town is informed that they will die at the end of that day, they cannot be lynched, and they have a vote. so, for instance, on night 0, the mafia choose player A to kill; during day 1, player A has a vote, and because there are 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch. as a side effect of this, the town has assurance that player A is town. lynches aren't delayed in any way, which means that if player B is lynched, then players A and B will die at the same time.

I haven't bothered figuring out whether these numbers are balanced or not, so it's possible they're not remotely balanced, so this is obviously flexible to fix any issues there. another alternative would be to start the game with an even number of players and base the threshold for a lynch on the number of votes that would be needed if the killed player was completely dead--for instance, start with 2:8, and on day 1, it takes 5 votes to lynch. that might be worse! again, I haven't actually tried looking at how these numbers would play out, which would obviously be necessary before actually running this.
there are far fewer good setups of mine in the old thread (and one really bad off-topic post where I whine about how everyone should just be fine with "he" as a gender neutral pronoun,
yikes
), but here's a couple standouts:
In post 1433, xyzzy wrote:C9 C9

12 players.

Each player picks either "scum", "cop", or "doc".

Players choosing scum have a 1/4 chance of receiving said role.

Players choosing "cop" or "doc" have a 1/8 chance of receiving that role.

The 1/X can change for balance purposes. So can the number of players. Please suggest better numbers.
In post 1599, xyzzy wrote:
C/9
(pronounced See Ninths)

2 scum
1/9 chance that each additional player will either be a cop or doc.
10-# of power roles townies

The odds of each player being a power role is calculated, and then either cop or doc is randomly selected for each power role.

There's approximately a 30% chance ((8/9)^10) of this being vanilla.
In post 1821, xyzzy wrote:
Breakout

2 scum
16 town

Scum begins with 1 night kill per night. This number goes up by 1 every day. This number is halved (and rounded up) if scum is killed.

Haven't checked win odds on this, but this seems probably fairer.
In post 1969, xyzzy wrote:2:16 AM

2 scum
16 town

Town gets n lynches on day n, and scum gets n kills on night n.
and here's a variation on one of my ideas that I like (specifically, I like variation B):
In post 2171, yellowbounder wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
Medix

3 scum
9 doctors

Only the player receiving the most protections is protected, so if 2 people protect Alice, 3 protect Bob, and 4 protect Carl, Carl will be protected from the nightkill. No one is protected if there's a tie.
I have an idea. There are two possiblities.

Medix A

2-4 Doctors protecting one person prevents an NK.

Medix B

The number of simultaneous Doctors protecting someone has to be equal to the number of the Scum.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:18 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Re: Shot in the Dark: I'm going to analyse the case where shooting someone doesn't negate their guess.

As long as two scum are alive, you can choose two players that you think are most likely scum each day, A and B. You lynch B. If B is scum, then just proceed as normal. If B is town, then at night, you form a list of the remaining non-A/B players (e.g. C, D, E, F), then circle-guess: C guesses AD, D guesses AE, E guesses AF, F guesses AC. If A is scum, this automatically wins the game for town. Otherwise, A will be confirmed as town and thus scum are forced to shoot them (read: clearly have a worse EV if they don't shoot them). The end result is that town have basically made two lynches negating the scum nightkill in the process (and one of which gives town an autowin if it hits town). There's also a small extra chance of town winning, as A gets a free guess which has a chance of picking the scumteam.

That said, 6:2 has a 50% EV even with no scum nightkills at all (lynches only), so it's possible that the setup is balanced despite this strategy. That said, 6:2 is believed to be highly townsided in practice due to the inability of the scum to eliminate problem townies. (I forget what the usual size for a mountainous Micro nightless is, maybe 5:2?)

Allowing scum to negate a guess by shooting someone adds a bunch of WIFOM to this. I'm not immediately sure how much it benefits scum.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:58 am

Post by xyzzy »

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67229 -- Shot in the Dark was run during Marathon Day, to reasonable success; a couple possible variants that would improve day 1 are discussed at the end.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:14 am

Post by xyzzy »

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67242 -- Copmaker was also run during Marathon Day, to less reasonable success; it's far more townsided than I initially believed, because it's way harder than I anticipated for mafia to try to manipulate the Copmaker's choices.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”