[Setup] Martyr Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[Setup] Martyr Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Post by ironstove »

This is a setup I created for another forum and I just wanted to get your guys' opinions on what you think.

Originally, I designed it as a closed setup with 12 players, however I changed my mind and decided to revamp it to keep things as simple as possible in order to test and understand the impact of the martyr role I added in.

This game is a 10 player, open-setup with the following breakdown:

Town Roles (5): Town wins when all mafia have been eliminated.
3 Vanilla Towns - Only ability is to vote
1 Town Cop - Has the ability to investigate one player every night and is returned a result informing the cop if the player is aligned with town or not aligned with town. (Town/Not Town).
1 Town gunsmith - Has the ability to gift a gun to any player during the night phase. If the gunsmith is targeted for a night kill, the player still receives the gun. The gun can only be shot during the day, and the player who has the gun must announce the shot themselves. Guns will carry over into the next day if unused.
The gunned must declare their shot in bold during the day with the phrase: ‘Shoot Player’ . Shots are final and cannot be undone. Upon shooting, the target player is dead and can no longer post, and their role will be revealed to all. Fake claiming a gun is fine, but DO NOT FAKE A FIRING SHOT.

Mafia Roles (2): Mafia win when they control 50% of the town.
1 Mafia Goon - Has a day/night chat with his/her partner. Has the ability to perform the factional night kill.
1 Mafia Roleblocker - Each night, can target one player to block that player from executing a night action. Shares a day/night chat with his/her partner. Has the ability to perform a factional night kill. Can perform both the roleblock and nightkill in the same night.

Martyr Roles (3): Martyrs win when they are all dead before either town or mafia achieve their win condition.
2 Vanilla Martyrs - Only ability is to vote.
1 Martyr Bomb - Upon being targeted for a night kill or a day-shot from a gun owner, the bomb strapped to the martyr will detonate and take the martyr’s killer with him, and the martyr will be awarded 80 mafiascum virgins. The only way the bomb doesn't detonate is by being lynched. The bomb cannot be roleblocked.

========

I understand things like fool and jester exist, but I believe that the mechanics have been tweaked enough and the addition of more than 1 reduces the amount of power the 3rd party has. I think it is a very fun game in terms of how much wifom occurs from all parties, the flexibility in play for all players, and I don't think martyrs hold an advantage due to not knowing who the other martyrs are.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by Ircher »

This setup is heavily martyr/mafia sided.

The martyrs simply play like jesters and then the setup becomes heavily mafia sided after they are all lynched.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Post by ironstove »

well i'm play testing this for the first time in another forum and so far it looks town favored.

And actually this isn't mafia favored at all, I had to add a revision to the win condition of mafia that if all towns are dead mafia wins, because of situations in which 1 mafia is left, he needs to kill all town, avoid killing all martyrs, and avoid getting lynched. It's quite difficult for mafia, actually.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Post by Ircher »

Thats mafia fault if only 1 mafia remains.

Town doesn't even post a majority in the setup. The setup is most certainly mafia/martyr sided.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Post by ironstove »

So I have done some test runs with this on another site, and so far this game is extremely town sided because
A. If town successfully identify a martyr and never lynch him, martyrs cannot win.

B. It is very difficult for mafia to avoid killing martyrs while obtaining a majority, even more impossible with only 1 scum left.

I have decided that the best course of action to balance the game is to add an additional goon to make it 3, and pad the game with 1 additional VT.

So the game would have 13 players instead of 10, and the setup's additional roles would have:

1 vanilla martyr converted to a 2-shot vigi
1 town VT converted to a blacksmith (that can give a player a vest every night).
1 mafia interrogator (same as a jailer, but with the ability to bring his target into a PT, and kill the target if he so chooses. Interrogator remains anonymous in the chat/PT).

I'm revamping this setup and I will try it again, I am going to try to host it on MS in the themed after I get my initial normal hosting requirement out of the way.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Post by ironstove »

town-sided is probably the wrong word to use, it's actually very unmafia-favored, i.e. mafia have not won in this setup once in 4 test runs done so far.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”