[SETUP] Snow Globe

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

[SETUP] Snow Globe

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Post by Vi »

i had a bad idea today someone please tell me its bad

SNOW GLOBE9 Players as follows:
2 Flitting Jealous Snowflakes

[X] Flitting Snowflakes

[Y] Flitting ~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~ Snowflakes

35% of the time [X] = 6 and [Y] = 1
50% of the time [X] = 5 and [Y] = 2
15% of the time [X] = 4 and [Y] = 3
Flitting Jealous Snowflake wrote:Guess what? YOU'RE SCUM.

(FP)
EVIL Flitting
- This is your standard factional chat with your partner ___. It's open until one of you dies.
(FA)
Death by Clumping
- This is your standard factional kill.
(A)
Flitting
- Pregame, you
must
submit the name of another player. You will open a private thread with them that will remain open until one of you dies. Remember: You may
never
share links to private threads.
(W)
Jealous Snowflake
- You win when your faction is the only one left, or nothing can prevent the same.

Confirm via PM. I wish you the best of luck.
Flitting Snowflake wrote:Wheeeeeeeeee you're Town!

(A)
Flitting
- Pregame, you
must
submit the name of another player. You will open a private thread with them that will remain open until one of you dies. Remember: You may
never
(W)
Snowflake
- You win when your faction is the only one left, or nothing can prevent the same.

Flitting ~Special~ Snowflake wrote:Wheeeeeeeeee you're Town!

(A)
Flitting
- Pregame, you
must
never
(P)
~Special~
- You are
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
! ^___^
(W)
Snowflake

~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
Snowflakes are basically Named Townies. The idea of the setup is to force the scum into making awkward WIFOMtastic decisions about whether to claim
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
or not.

If the distribution of
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
Snowflakes were even, then the scum can make pretty safe decisions regardless of how many
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
Snowflakes there are. As a result, the probabilities are skewed so that it gets suspicious but not implausible if three claim (and of course if four or five claim, fun things start happening and the Town gets to feel salty when they lose anyway). Of course, if only one person claims
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
, that person is confirmed Town, so...

Since there are some very easily imaginable ways this setup can go pear-shaped, each player can Neighborize one other and use that as a soft Cop role if they aren't bad at the game. I originally told the scum how many
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
Snowflakes are in the game so that they can't walk somewhat blindly into a bad PoE scenario, but I've decided that they should go ahead and own the calculated risk in the name of further helping the Town out.

I still feel like there's something missing, though.
Last edited by Vi on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

This seems scumsided

One of the best cases for town is if there are 5 special claims, then both scum have to be in there. It's still plausible for scum to win that, they just need the 3 town lynched before both scum. In the worst case though, the claim split is 6/3 or 7/2 andirons basically becomes 7:2 mountainous.

Not sure how neighborizer could be used as a soft cop...

An interesting twist you could add is a 1-shot special/non-special cop for all special snowflakes, with scum always returning special. That would give scum more motivation to claim special. But it would probably make the game way too random.

Could also be interesting to give scum special/non-special cops.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 1, Infinity 324 wrote:Not sure how neighborizer could be used as a soft cop...
How could you not? What do you think private threads are used for?
An interesting twist you could add is a 1-shot special/non-special cop for all special snowflakes, with scum always returning special. That would give scum more motivation to claim special. But it would probably make the game way too random.
The original idea for this involved Miller+Cops, but I don't think the game could handle two investigations from multiple Cops, so I made them Named Townies instead.
Could also be interesting to give scum special/non-special cops.
Scum don't need anything else.

It's probably a lot better for the massclaim to occur on Day 2. The idea is that people have pretty well-formed ideas about each other before they have to start judging claims; if you assume an immediate massclaim then the claims aren't going to tell you much.

Since it's probably worst for Town if there are two
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
claims, maybe the probabilities should be changed to 35/50/15? That makes it a lot riskier for scum to claim
~
S
p
e
c
i
a
l
~
. I'll go ahead and update the original post with that.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Eh

Private threads can help with finding scum, but nothing that's not possible by just questioning them in the public thread. Private threads are best for cooperation between mutual townreads imo.

It might be interesting if you made the setup 9/2 and gave scum 1-shot special/non-special cops.

But updating the probabilities is a good idea and would help a little with balance
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I've caught an entire scumteam by now via a Neighbour connection to one of the scum. (That said, it was something of a special case, being a bastard game in which we were nominally Masons; that gave us more reason to try to "break the game together" rather than being suspicious of each other. I have a suspicion that in mass-neighbour setups, the extra communication gives much less of an advantage.)

You don't need to ban linking to private topics nowadays, because mods have the ability to whitelist players who are allowed to read/post in them.

I suspect this is scumsided despite the added communication. Named Townie ×2, VT ×5, Goon ×2 is seen as a possibility in a variable open every now and then, just like it is in this setup. However, typically speaking the other possibilities are rather more townsided, and even then the setup tends to end up favouring scum.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”