[SETUP] Booby Trapped!

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[SETUP] Booby Trapped!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Post by Beefster »

2 Inventors
1 Bomb Technician
6 VTs

1 Mafia Booby Trap Inventor
1 Mafia Goon

All inventors (including the mafia inventor) have one of each of the following gadgets:
  • Scanner (Cop-type investigator)
  • Shield Generator (Protect)
  • Tracking Drone (Tracker)
  • Hidden Camera (Watcher)
The Booby Trap Inventor's gadgets are armed with bombs that kill the user when used instead of doing as advertised. They are indistinguishable from their regular counterparts.

In all cases, a player will not know who gave them a gadget. (I think this is standard, but I figured it would be good to mention that anyway)

The Bomb Technician disarms all booby trapped gadgets previously given to the target player, even if the gadget is being used that night. In addition, if he is given a booby trapped gadget, he passively disarms it. Disarmed gadgets do nothing. He is not told if his visits disarmed any bombs.

The Shield Generator works on players that would have been killed by booby traps.
Last edited by Beefster on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Did you intend this to be 2:9?
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Post by Beefster »

Yes. I figured the Mafia would probably score extra kills from booby traps. I figure it could probably also work as a 2:7 or 3:10, though the 3:10 might need a kill gadget.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 am

Post by Creature »

Thinking massclaim D1 would be the best strategy here.
Sigh
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 am

Post by Beefster »

I'm not seeing that. I don't think massclaim would break the game. The Booby Trap inventor would claim VT, leaving the town PRs with targets on their backs and the town with nothing more than 3 confirmed town. It's the same situation as Pick Your Poison, but the potential for extra kills would balance out townsidedness.

So 3:10 would probably be better:

2 Inventors
1 Bomb Technician
7 VTs

1 Mafia Booby Trap Inventor
2 Mafia Goons

Even still, the mafia might need some extra power. Maybe replace a goon with a watcher?
Get to know a meat boy
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 am

Post by Mathdino »

Assuming both mafia claim VT in 2:9:
As long as they don't run up a PR on D1, all the inventors have to do is claim their targets on D2. Here's how this plays out:

- Lynch a VT D1, now it's 2:8

- Mafia (hopefully) kills a VT N1, inventors give cop scanners randomly. 2:7

- D2 opens with inventors claiming their targets (who are now 1-shot cops), lynch a VT. If it's mafia it's basically game over, so assume it's another VT (2:6)

- Cops confirm remaining VTs (or each other) while the 2 confirmed inventors give out watchers or protects. Mafia now has to deal with essentially 5 power roles.

D3 begins with enough information to either immediately lynch the mafia, or enough PRs and cop-clears to reduce the lynchpool to 3. gg mafia.
Harambey180
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Harambey180
He/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:34 am

Post by Harambey180 »

I know a great theme for this setup... take the title literally and you got my answer.

3:10 doesn't seem too bad for a setup. I think this would be very fun to play and it's not too confusing either. 2:9 does seem a bit troubling though but others already explained why so I won't repeat it. But 3:10 is good, go for 3:10.
hi
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Mathdino »

What happens when multiple inventors give a player a gadget?

What if a TPR gets a gadget? Can you perform your night action and use an invention at the same time?
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Post by Beefster »

The way I understand Inventor gadgets is that the items are optionally usable the next night. If you're a PR, you wouldn't be able to use one of your gadgets at the same time as your ability. Inventors can use each other's gadgets but they can't give a gadget on the same night.

It's also sounding like having Cop Ability gadgets is really townsided. Maybe Vig gadgets would be better.

Giving the Mafia a Watcher would also give them some ability to find town Inventors.
Get to know a meat boy
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Post by Beefster »

Cop gadgets might be reasonable if the inventors have mystery gadgets that are not revealed until given away. They know which gadgets they can give away but they don't know which is which. Flavorwise, they can be presents wrapped with different colors or packages of different shapes and sizes, but they would be randomized the same for all inventors. For instance, if the Drone were in the red package for one inventor, it would also be in the red package for the other two. That way, it's not exactly the same as giving away random gadgets, as players would be able to breadcrumb information about what gadget is in which package. It also gives mafia receiving gadgets an opportunity to lie about package contents (which is probably a bad idea in most cases)

A gift PM would look something like this:
When you woke up this morning, you found a
red package
on your doorstep. There was a
Tracking Drone
inside it.

Power description here
Randomized gadgets (in addition to the larger mafia) would make Mathdino's massclaim strategy completely unviable.
Get to know a meat boy

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”