[SETUP] Vengescum with Innocent Children

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

[SETUP] Vengescum with Innocent Children

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am

Post by mith »

From the EV thread.

M Mafia
M Vanilla Town
M Innocent Children

EV = 50%

I quite like the symmetry of this one. There are always equal numbers of Mafia and Innocent Children, and the Town needs the same number of correct lynches as the the Mafia need mislynches. It also mitigates the "focal point" issue of the single IC Nightless setup, despite having the same EV.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The easiest way to see why the EV balance works in this one: because the ICs always match the scum, town always have total control over the lynch vote so long as at least one VT is alive (you can prevent scum influencing the vote by making everyone sheep the ICs, if you have to), and the lynchpool is always the scum/VT pool. So it's just down to which of the scum and VT get eliminated first.

One worry I have is that with that many Innocent Children, VTs may end up relying on them too heavily rather than actually scumhunting, which might mean that the ICs have nothing to go off in their own scumhunting. However, my bigger worry is that I'd expect a setup with these mechanics to end up with town winrates significantly higher than EV. (Scum are restricted to shooting in the IC pool to avoid an infinite loss, so if even a single VT becomes obvtown, scum are basically guaranteed to lose.) I think you might have to use M-1 innocent children in practice in order to counteract that effect and bring winrates closer to 50%. Perhaps 2 ICs, 3 VTs, 3 scum would be a good balance.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:47 am

Post by mith »

I don't disagree. M:M:M-1 is a reasonable compromise for actual play (or M-2 for larger setups, perhaps).

(To counter your obvtown point somewhat, scum that looks obvtown would have an equal and opposite effect. There would be a lot of "will they bus" WIFOM in this one for generating info. In my run of Target Practice, scum won in part because the should-have-been-obvtown actually looked like he knew too much instead and didn't get that obvtown credit from the target.)

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”