[SETUP]Presidential Succession

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

[SETUP]Presidential Succession

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Presidential Succession

9 Players

3 Mafia Blackmailers

6 Townies

• The premise is a presidential election. Within the Demopublic party there is in fighting, some are corrupt and want to actually enact Nazi cult stuff, some want good ol' Demopublic laws.
  • Mafia know each others identities but have no private chat and no nightkill.
  • Lynched players have alignments flipped but may continue to talk, vote and perform night actions (in the case of mafia). (essentially nobody ever really dies, they are just removed the president pool for Day 4)
  • After the first lynch, players must elect a Leader. They vote on who they want to be the Leader and first one to majority becomes leader. After election, the games goes to night.
  • This player is Leader until lynched. Once lynched, another players is immediately elected.
  • During the night, each mafia member must choose a player to blackmail. They may choose themselves.
  • Come day time, the blackmailed players will be announced and the leader must choose one from the list the lynch.
  • After that lynch occurs, a normal lynch occurs.
  • There are only three nights.
  • Once there are three players left (meaning after the blackmail from night 3 is resolved), players vote between the three on who should be president.
  • If there is no majority by deadline, Town loses.
  • If a town player is elected, town wins.
  • If a scum player is elected, scum wins.

I imagine this might be townsided enough to the point that scum should have 4 of them? Maybe one be a traitor who can't blackmail and is unknown to the others?

I imagine it's far more townsided due to the changed win condition, which makes 33% chance at victory into 66% chance.

For context as well, I'm trying to develop a new face to face game that involves mass public night actions and I want to use this as a base, but I need this to be balanced before I can do that.

Also, optimal strategy for town and scum, go.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:35 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

I imagine it's far more townsided due to the changed win condition, which makes 33% chance at victory into 66% chance.
Looks massively townsided.
As soon as a townplayer flips, this townplayer is the sole arbiter of all town lynches.
At the endgame, the townplayers who flipped decide and everyone has to follow suit.
And because Blackmail gives good players away....
well you get it.
Lynched players have alignments flipped but may continue to talk, vote and perform night actions (in the case of mafia). (essentially nobody ever really dies, they are just removed the president pool for Day 4)
At least remove them from the leader pool as well.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

My more balanced suggestion(changes in bold):
Presidential Succession

9 Players

3 Mafia Blackmailers

1 Law Enforcement Officer

6 Townies

• The premise is a presidential election. Within the Demopublic party there is in fighting, some are corrupt and want to actually enact Nazi cult stuff, some want good ol' Demopublic laws.
  • Lynched players have alignments flipped but may continue to talk, vote and perform night actions (in the case of mafia). (essentially nobody
    , except the target of the LEO,
    ever really dies, they are just removed from the president pool for Day 4
    and the Leader pool
    )
  • After the first lynch, players must elect a Leader. They vote on who they want to be the Leader and first one to majority becomes leader. After election, the games goes to night.
  • This player is Leader until lynched. Once lynched, another players is immediately elected.
  • During the night, each Mafia Blackmailer must choose a player to blackmail. They may choose themselves.
  • Come day time, the blackmailed players will be announced and the leader must choose one from the list the lynch.
  • Before the start of Day 4, the Law Enforcement Officer must arrest someone who was the target of a blackmail the first three nights(they get the three choices Night 3 via PM).This player will not be able to talk or vote or be voted upon on the decisive day 4. The LEO will know the alignment of the player... the rest of the players will only know that they disappeared.
    If the arrested player is Mafia, the Law Enforcement Officer will win with Town.
    If the arrested player is Town, the Law Enforcement Officer will win with Mafia.

• Once there are three players left (meaning after the blackmail from night 3 is resolved), players vote between the three on who should be president.
  • If there are no mafia-aligned players left that could be elected(including possibly the LEO) Mafia instantly loses.(cannot happen before the start of Day 4)

• If there are no town-aligned players left that could be elected, Town instantly loses.

• If a mafia player is elected, mafia wins.
  • The LEO will count as a member of the faction they win with.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:13 am

Post by BBmolla »

Not a bad direction to go, just not really what I’m looking for

I simplified things and basically revamped it all, will post more once I get home.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:22 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 3, BBmolla wrote:Not a bad direction to go, just not really what I’m looking for

I simplified things and basically revamped it all, will post more once I get home.
It was just a proposal(maybe I'll test it some day). I am looking forward to your revamp.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Presidential Succession

9 Players

4 Mafia Blackmailers

5 Townies

• Lynched players have alignments flipped but may continue to talk, vote and perform night actions (in the case of mafia). (essentially nobody ever really dies, they are just removed the president pool for Day 4)
  • After the first lynch, the lynched player selects a living player to be untargetable for the night. This player may still use actions, but may not be targeted by any.
  • After this, the lynched player chooses two different players to use night actions on. The untargetable follows suit and then it's done in popcorn order.
  • This is all done publicly, but when the targets are posted in thread, scum players must specify which one is blackmail via private message.
  • Town player night actions do nothing but MUST still select two players.
  • One scum night action does nothing, the other is blackmail.
  • Come day time, the blackmailed players will be announced and the lynched player must choose one from the list the lynch.
  • If a scum player is elected, scum wins.

I explained this horribly let me know if I can clarify. Basically, lynch, lynched player flips, lynched player chooses untargettable, lynched player night actions on two people, untargettable night actions two people, untargettable popcorns to player A, player A to B, etc, until all are done, once done mod announces blackmail list, player lynched previous day selects the player to be lynched from that list, and then back to lynch.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

Sorry, bad idea!
Here is why!
Day 1: Town is lynched.
Now the lynched player selects someone and so on.
However, the lynched player told the others who to target before the lynch.

We have:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
BREAKING STRATEGY:

A is the lynch, and is town.
B is the untargetable.
A now orders everyone but D, E, H and I to target H and I.
A orders H to target I and C
A orders I to target H and C.
A orders D to target E and F.
A orders E to target D and G.
Blackmail results:
At least one of H and I is blackmailed.
If E or F are blackmailed then D is mafia. Otherwise they are town.
If D or G are blackmailed then E is mafia. Otherwise they are town.
The lynch selects H or I, then someone who isn't known is lynched.
And so on.
If the Lynch on Day 1 is Mafia, then the town will use the plan laid out by the Untargetable(after the lynch chose their targets)
This will still result in one confirmed town or mafia.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:12 am

Post by BBmolla »

Perfect, wanted to get the breaking strategy.

Will think on it more.

Need some way to have everyone submit actions at the same time without a mod.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The original version of the setup is pretty close (not identical) to Nomination Mafia. That mechanic turned out to be considerably more townsided than most people were expecting, so quite likely this one will too.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Yeah. Idea seems unworkable for now. Locking up.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”