[SETUP]Omniscient Nomination

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

[SETUP]Omniscient Nomination

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Omniscient Nomination

7 Players

2 Mafia Goons

1 Town Omniscient
4 Vanilla Townies

• Nightless
  • The Omniscient knows the identity of both scum.
  • On odd-numbered Days, normal lynching mechanics apply.
  • On even-numbered Days, a nomination mechanic applies to the lynch. At the start of the Day, the mafia secretly select one town player of their choice to be available to be lynched. The Omniscient selects two players, one town and one scum, along with an alternative town choice in case the Omniscient selects the same town player as mafia. The mod announces who the nominated players are for this day, and then everyone (including the three nominated) can place votes only on those three players until one is lynched.
  • The Omniscient may select himself.
  • Town must lynch every day; as such, a plurality lynch rule applies at deadline if the town cannot decide.
  • Mafia have daytalk.
  • The Omniscient flips Vanilla Town.
  • If town win, the Mafia have 48 hours to select a player. If the Omniscient is selected, Mafia win.

I think I fucked up the math but I'll check it tomorrow. The EV for the game before Omniscient selection should be townsided, but 20% chance of victory in a random shot might swing victory likelihood towards scum?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 am

Post by callforjudgement »

What happens if the Omniscient is lynched? They keep selecting while dead?

I have a feeling that it'd be possible to arrange a code which allows the Omniscient to indicate both members of scum to the town via their selection of nominated players. The scum's nomination would make things a bit more complex, but given the extra information from the D2 flip, it's quite probable that this setup has an 80% EV (i.e. town have a 100% breaking strategy that gives away no information about who the Omniscient is, and thus scum are on a pure guess to steal the win).

6 players alive is one of the worst numbers for this sort of breaking strategy, though, so it's possible it can't be broken. I'll have fun trying to figure such a strategy out, though!
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 am

OK, yes, this is trivially breakable: the town arrange a plan in which the Omniscient always chooses a Mafioso and townie that are adjacent in the player list, with the Mafioso first (potentially wrapping round the player list, e.g. the Omniscient can choose a Mafioso at the end and a townie at the start).

No matter who the scum choose, there'll be at most two possible picks that the Omniscient could have made (the most ambiguous possible situation is three adjacent players in the player list, at which point the Omniscient must have picked the first two or the last two). That means you know for certain that of two specific players, one of them is scum. You just lynch them both D2 and D3, putting you back into the same situation with one less townie and one less scum. Then the Omniscient chooses the same way again (we're now in a 3:1 setup assuming a mislynch D1). Again, there are only two possibilities for who the scum is, so you lynch them both D4 and D5 and get an 80% town win.

In order to hide who the Omniscient is, it's important to do no scumhunting at all; so D1 you just lynch the first player on the player list, and then you follow the Omniscient's signals (via the lynch choices) from there. You have a guaranteed 80% win no matter what choices you make so you may as well not give away anything as you're making them.
scum
town
Sukima
Sukima
Watcher
Sukima
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 am

Post by Sukima »

There's an occasional fail in your breaking scenario, assume playerlist is A B C d E f G, lowercase being mafia. A lynched first, Mafia pick B, Omni picks C d. Town go with the first two (aka B and C), and then lose after 2 MLs.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 am

The omniscient can't pick C d. The Mafioso has to come first in the player list, so the only possible picks are d E or f G.
scum
town
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 am

Post by BBmolla »

Well that component is clearly unworkable. Not sure if there’s any sort of workable setup in here then.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Sukima
Sukima
Watcher
Sukima
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am

Post by Sukima »

Oh, yeah, I missed that the maf pick is first, so even in f G B or C d E, you're most definitely still lynching one of the first two because it's either the top slot or the middle slot, and cannot be the bottom slot.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”