[SETUP] Only Town Vote Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

[SETUP] Only Town Vote Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:01 am

Post by Ausuka »

ok so i had an idea for a setup and i think it could be fun?

Only Town Vote
Vanilla Townies

Mafia Goons

Votes are submitted privately at the end of a 7-day long day phase. Only town players' votes count. The person who gets the most votes will be lynched. Alternatively, a random town-aligned player who got the joint most votes will be lynched.

6 v 3 might be too scumsided but I think given the strategies town can put into place to eliminate scum combinations it's fair to give mafia a large boost. Either this or 8 v 3 would be best I think but I could be wrong.

For example in 6:3 you could have this plan

A (5)- B, D, F, H, I
B (4)- A, C, E, G

if A's lynch goes through you can rule out any scumteam that involves only {B, D, F, H, I} or if A flips scum any scumteam that involves more than one of {B, D, F, H, I} can be ruled out. If B's lynch goes through you can rule out any scumteam that has more than one scum on B- so only one of {A, C, E, G} can be scum. If B is scum A, C, E and G are all confirmed town.
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 am

Post by MathBlade »

I'm thinking this setup is incredibly broken or not mafia.
Town agrees to no lynch day one and everyone is ordered to vote for the person underneath them on the player list.
If a vote count gets posted you instantly know who is town and who is scum.
Without that vote count though you only have the day play to go off of.

With flipless mafia (one of my favorites) there is still the active record of who voted whom. Without voting being visible as a primary mechanic it turns more into a strategy game than mafia.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I also think it might be breakable, but not in the way MB says. Everyone sends in a vote, correct? It's just that scum votes don't
do
anything. In case of a tie, town dies. So if everyone votes for the player below them on the list, a random townie would die.

Do scum have NK's?
Also, are vote counts posted?
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 am

Post by Ausuka »

In post 1, MathBlade wrote:I'm thinking this setup is incredibly broken or not mafia.
Town agrees to no lynch day one and everyone is ordered to vote for the person underneath them on the player list.
If a vote count gets posted you instantly know who is town and who is scum.
Without that vote count though you only have the day play to go off of.

With flipless mafia (one of my favorites) there is still the active record of who voted whom. Without voting being visible as a primary mechanic it turns more into a strategy game than mafia.
If town do that a random townie dies and one townie is confirmed as town who is subsequently nightkilled.

If voting not being visible makes it not mafia to people I guess it's a bad idea. I was thinking along the lines of the fact that suspicions etc. are still public so people can root out the mafia based on that and make the most likely mafia candidates the wagons people vote for. Town won't lie about who they targeted and mafia will have to stick to some sort of narrative, so they can be interpreted to be the players people vote for. Alternatively you could have the mafia be able to make their fake vote show up on an end-of-day votecount even though it doesn't really count, if that's much better.
In post 2, Irrelephant11 wrote:I also think it might be breakable, but not in the way MB says. Everyone sends in a vote, correct? It's just that scum votes don't
do
anything. In case of a tie, town dies. So if everyone votes for the player below them on the list, a random townie would die.

Do scum have NK's?
Also, are vote counts posted?
Scum have NKs, yeah. Vote counts aren't posted- people submit vote privately and then the lynched player and their role is announced.
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 am

Post by mith »

3:6 is too fast for town to get any useful information. The best plan I can come up with at the moment (other than the obvious "all town agree to vote for a single player, agreed on during day", which reduced it to Vanilla) is to split votes between a first and second choice somehow (5:4? 6:3? 5:3:1?) and if the second choice is lynched you have learned something about the Mafia distribution (at the cost of making it a bit more likely the first lynch is town). I don't think that's nearly enough to make it balanced. I'm not convinced 3:8 would be, either.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:04 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I tried to come up with a breaking strategy and I couldn't. mith is right that town can pay one townie (plus a free NK) for extra info, with a possibility of getting 1-2 IC's for LYLO, but it's not usually worth it.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The best breaking strategy I can see is to tell the two scummiest players to vote for each other and for everyone else to not vote at all. If they're both town, one will die, the other will be confirmed town. If one is scum, they die, the other is confirmed town. If both are scum, a random townie who got the joint most votes (i.e. 0, as all the townies will have abstained) will die, but both players will be confirmed as scum and can be lynched over the next two days. (Obviously, this case only works if town still have a mislynch left, so at 3:2 town's optimal strategy is probably to all pile on the same person rather than to try to set up a 1 town / 1 scum crossvote.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:52 am

Post by mith »

Yeah, that's good (
if
town are not required to vote). And probably shifts things too far toward town.

(At 2:3, chances of hitting scum with a normal lynch are 40%; chances of picking two players and having exactly one scum are 60%. So it's still better there.)

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”