[Setup] Golden Child

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[Setup] Golden Child

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:29 am

Post by mutantdevle »

This is just a concept.

13 players:

3 mafia.
9 vanilla townies.
1 bulletproof innocent child (revealed at the start of day 1).

I haven't calculated an EV, but it's pretty much a slightly higher lynch chance with the mafia still needing to kill off the same amount of players.

Pretty sure it's currently scum sided though, and town has a good chance of losing if the golden child is shit.
I mostly just lurk now.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Post by Awoo »

ev is easy to calculate

also that is not a fun setup
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:35 am

Post by mutantdevle »

The concept of the setup is that it's supposed to force someone to be a town leader. Of course, the problem here is that I don't think that would work as leadership is a matter of playstyle.
I mostly just lurk now.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:07 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

maybe if you could vote on the bulletproof IC in pregame

if you can't nightkill a certain player this game could easily have fairly decent town ev, but then again its hard to generate reads as IC so
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Post by BNL »

I don't think this setup, or rather concept, will be fun

It's like mountainous, but with there being an extra town-sided voice and vote. It'll probably still play like a mountainous.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Post by Awoo »

"The concept of the setup is that it's supposed to force someone to be a town leader."

Ok great

its a terrible concept lmao
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 pm

Post by BuJaber »

Spice it up

You have to help me out balance-wise..
But say everytime someone gets hammered, if they're town, the players secretly vote whether or not they want to transfer the BP over to that player or not. If the majority vote yes, scum gets 2 kills that night instead of 1. (Ie there are never 2 ICs alive at once) this is interesting in situations where strong players are being voted off due to false assumptions/paranoia/whatever, but if they flip town they are able to take over as town leader. It is also almost completely in the control of town. However they won't have a chance to discuss after the lynch whether or not they want to and the vote is secret to give scum a fair chance at trying to mess with their plans.

Alternatively

During the day there are two votes. One for lynch one for new IC. Same rule as above if the IC does get transferred to someone new the day ends instantly and scum get 2 kills that night. If the voted player is scum they get lynched and the day ends.

Maybe this makes the setup completely different but I think the core idea is still there.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:36 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 2, mutantdevle wrote:The concept of the setup is that it's supposed to force someone to be a town leader.
A worthy concept, but what happens if the majority get stuck with a shitty town leader?

I don't know squat about balance, but it kinda feels like it could swing towards town more than scum, but
only if
the town leader was a good one. I kinda want to suggest adding a vote modifier to the BP IC that would force them to play smart and not just lean on the crutch 'well I'm the town IC so suck it and sheep me.' (tbh, I don't think many would actually use this argument, but eh.)

Maybe something like their vote only counts if it's the first one on a wagon.

It's not a complete cut-and-dry scenario, but keeping within the concept of encouraging someone to become the town leader - having the BP IC's vote only count when it's a wagon starter would, maybe, encourage them to try to rally votes around their preferred lynch choice, reinforcing that town leader goal.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

This is surprisingly close to "a vanilla game but players from outside the thread are allowed to help the town out, either publicly or over PM" (the only difference is in the lynch thresholds).

This is something I've been interested in running for a while, perhaps as a vanilla 10:3 (thus town's only advantage comes from the fact that the scum have to be able to consistently fake scumhunting not only within the game, but also in their interactions with people from outside; that's a huge town advantage but it's offset by an otherwise hugely scumsided setup). One big advantage is that because you effectively have the entire site helping out town, you don't need to worry about the bulletproof IC being somebody unsuitable, because it's everyone.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:16 am

Post by shortaru »

In post 6, BuJaber wrote:But say everytime someone gets hammered, if they're town, the players secretly vote whether or not they want to transfer the BP over to that player or not. If the majority vote yes, scum gets 2 kills that night instead of 1. (Ie there are never 2 ICs alive at once) this is interesting in situations where strong players are being voted off due to false assumptions/paranoia/whatever, but if they flip town they are able to take over as town leader. It is also almost completely in the control of town. However they won't have a chance to discuss after the lynch whether or not they want to and the vote is secret to give scum a fair chance at trying to mess with their plans.
Wouldn't this work better with a tree stump instead of an innocent child?
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”