[SETUP] Pop Goes the Nightkill

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

[SETUP] Pop Goes the Nightkill

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 am

Post by mith »

X Mafia
Y Town

Each game Day has a fixed discussion period (say [# Living] days) with no formal voting.
At the end of the discussion period, Mafia select their night kill.
The player chosen for the night kill is then the first player in a round of popcorn voting (Player A votes, then chooses the next voter, who votes and chooses the next voter, etc.).
The player with the most votes (plurality, not majority) is the lynch. If there is a tie, the player who reached that vote total first is the lynch.
The night kill then goes through, and next day starts.

EV should be the same as Vanilla with bulletproof IC, since there is always a confirmed innocent when voting (2:9 is 50.78%; 2:7 is 45.31%; 3:14 is 42.39%). Not sure how much I would expect town to outperform this; the IC is already a lot of information, and Mafia gets to dictate the lynch to some degree by their selection and the fact that early votes likely have the most impact on the outcome.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I like setups that encourage town lying like this
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:11 pm

Post by mutantdevle »

Ego
I mostly just lurk now.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Post by the worst »

This is a much more interesting take on popcorn mafia. Actually should be pretty fun to play as a ~vanilla setup.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:21 am

Post by northsidegal »

in my limited experience i've found that players tend to dislike it when they have entire day phases where they cannot vote. it also seems to me like the fact that the nightkill happens after discussion but before a vote to lynch could potentially introduce some kind of perverse incentive of how people play during the day

although i do think the whole voting process would be very interesting
In post 1, Irrelephant11 wrote:I like setups that encourage town lying like this
do you mean lying about who you're going to vote to try to avoid the nightkill or something similar?
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I think town do have incentive to lie about their reads to some extent to prevent scum from choosing the lynch by way of choosing the nightkill
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:21 am

Post by mith »

Players can still express their suspicions (even "pseudovote", if they want). The interesting bit, to me (and apparently irrelephant11) is that there is indeed some incentive for town to at least adjust their expressed voting preferences based on the nightkill choice and the voting results so far when it is their turn to vote, if not outright lie, and there is also room for scum to deviate from their expressed voting preferences and explain it away. The idea is to inject some additional information post-discussion and pre-lynch, and players will have to come to their own conclusions on how and if that information affects their view of the game (and then explain their thought process for their ultimate vote, if they are still alive the next day). Since there tends to be some correlation between town players who have bad reads and town players who are viewed as scummy by other town players (due to those bad reads or the bad reasons behind them), the choice of nightkill is very likely to refute one or more town players' suspicions, giving them a chance to totally reassess the game before their vote.

(Treestump Mafia, when played correctly, has a similar pseudovoting stage - you're voting for who you would like to see stump, with the understanding that if they refuse to stump they must be scum who can't stump, and will therefore be lynched immediately after. That part, at least, was perfectly fine in practice.)

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”