[JANUARY CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:42 am

Post by northsidegal »

congratulations mith!

In post 26, Allomancer wrote:
Guilt Neighborhood
2 Mafia Goons

9 City Planners
(Venge-Neighborizer)

When a City Planner is lynched, the entirety of their wagon is added to a new neighborhood.
i would like to say that i like this setup a lot. i think it's elegant in its simplicity and i think it's a nice way to spice up mountainous to make it a bit more interesting and to give it a bit more widespread appeal.

reminds me a little bit of cul-de-sac, but i
think
i like this one better. (of course, this is 2:9 mountainous while i think cul-de-sac is 2:11 mountainous)
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:49 am

Post by northsidegal »

could the alternative vote work as a system for this? i think it'd place more emphasis on 1st choices as opposed to a ranking of every setup, not sure if that's desirable or not.

things fall apart
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:09 am

Post by the worst »

In post 125, northsidegal wrote:congratulations mith!

Guilt Neighborhood
2 Mafia Goons

9 City Planners
(Venge-Neighborizer)

When a City Planner is lynched, the entirety of their wagon is added to a new neighborhood.
i would like to say that i like this setup a lot. i think it's elegant in its simplicity and i think it's a nice way to spice up mountainous to make it a bit more interesting and to give it a bit more widespread appeal.

think
i like this one better. (of course, this is 2:9 mountainous while i think cul-de-sac is 2:11 mountainous)
I really like Allomancer's setup a lot, as well. Analysing voting patterns in a setup like this sounds like a blast.

One of those which I think would be even more fun to play than to analyse. :)
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:13 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I think Guilt Neighbourhood is pretty scumsided. If not for that, I'd have ranked it more highly. (That said, 2:7 is winnable in practice, and I have a suspicion that 2:9 is actually less scumsided than 2:11, so it may be the best numbers for a vanilla setup with a regular day/night cycle and regular win condition.)

Ignoring my own setup (because I can't evaluate it objectively), NSG's is the most interesting design; my main reservation is that I'm not sure whether it's balanced or not (it may be, it's hard to evaluate).

As for the voting system, I'd recommend something that a) is easy to understand, and b) never causes dishonest rankings to give worse results for the voter than honest rankings (people tend to feel shortchanged if they vote honestly, but the voting system requires a less honest ranking in order for the votes to actually have the desired effect). AV/IRV has the issue that it's fairly complex to understand how the results are calculated (although actually casting the votes is fairly easy); you can also sometimes get an advantage from voting dishonestly, but that's hardly likely to be an issue in practice (as tactical votes in IRV normally require probabilistic coordination among a large number of people, and it's rare for people to regret not having done that).

I still think "each voter rates each setup, highest average rating wins" is likely to be an excellent choice for voting (being easy to understand, both in terms of casting votes and counting them); the main problem is that it tends to miss fine distinctions in which setup is better when two setups are widely liked (voters will often max-rate several options to give a bigger contrast to the setups they dislike, meaning that widely popular options will often get close to the maximum score), but I'm not convinced that that's really a problem; if we end up in a tie for first we can always have a runoff, and it's likely that we'll have discovered multiple good setups in the process. Note that all voting systems are vulnerable to tactical voting, but tactical voting in this system ("range voting") consists of changing ratings while leaving setups in their honest order; there's never an incentive to rank setups out of order.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:48 pm

Post by BNL »

In post 125, northsidegal wrote:congratulations mith!

Guilt Neighborhood
2 Mafia Goons

9 City Planners
(Venge-Neighborizer)

think
Same here! While clearly scumsided I thought this would be really fun to play. I ranked it third.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

I already have an idea for the next challenge - can I open a thread?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by the worst »

I think Rel is passing the reins onto the winner (assuming mith is keen to run the Feb one). I'm also more than happy to help with admin backup on the voting side of things. If you have an idea maybe shoot mith a pm and ask if he wants to run Feb or would be cool with you doing it?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Post by BNL »

Sorry, but I don't really see the appeal in mith's setup. It kind of reminds me of Secret Hitler. The issue is that a lot of the EV is dependent on who the traitor kills, which town have no control over. On the other hand, such kills are unlikely in practice, making it hard for town who have no power and rely on the traitor killing scum. This sounds stressful to play as either alignment.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Post by northsidegal »

i enjoy the idea of a traitor controlling the kills and in some part i enjoy the idea of a flagbearer when it comes to the associations that i think it creatues, but i do think that it might focus on a single slot too much

not to try to take over someone else's setup, but i wonder how balanced it would be if instead of the traitor being a flagbearer, it worked like how normal games deal with traitors, in that the traitor is endgamed if both of the mafia goons die. might be a little bit swingy / boring if the traitor dies early and the mafia have to deal with the game suddenly being nightless, though – the traitor being a flagbearer does solve that issue.

things fall apart
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 131, the worst wrote:I think Rel is passing the reins onto the winner (assuming mith is keen to run the Feb one). I'm also more than happy to help with admin backup on the voting side of things. If you have an idea maybe shoot mith a pm and ask if he wants to run Feb or would be cool with you doing it?
Congrats mith! The next challenge is meant to be run by mith, yes, as part of the prize of winning. If he chooses not to run one, I suppose it’s up to him who runs it instead
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Post by Jingle »

I thought he was supposed to pick the setup criteria, not necessarily run it wholesale.

NSG's proposed vote system also seems like a decent alternative.
This is a Parachute.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Post by northsidegal »

had an idea for a slight modification to guilt neighborhood.

City That Never Sleeps
2 Mafia Goons

1 Traffic Analyst

8 City Planners
(Venge-Neighborizer)

When a City Planner is lynched, the entirety of their wagon is added to a new neighborhood. This neighborhood will remain open until the end of the following day.

there's an incentive for mafia to always be on lynch wagons so that the traffic analyst can't truly get a "guilty" on them.

something interesting i also noticed is that venge-neighborhoods always allow people to get final thoughts out after a flip and before they can be killed, which i think is a good feature. that was present in the original setup, of course.

(also, i used traffic analyst for the flavor of everything being city-themed, but really i think it should function more like a PT Cop in that it could still get a guilty result on scum even if their partner had been lynched.)
Last edited by northsidegal on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

things fall apart
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:17 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 135, Jingle wrote:I thought he was supposed to pick the setup criteria, not necessarily run it wholesale.

If mith would like me to run his setup criteria as a challenge, I will do so gladly! It’s not too much work, with tw’s help. My originally thought was that the winner would run the contest, though. Up to him!
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 137, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 135, Jingle wrote:I thought he was supposed to pick the setup criteria, not necessarily run it wholesale.

If mith would like me to run his setup criteria as a challenge, I will do so gladly! It’s not too much work, with tw’s help. My originally thought was that the winner would run the contest, though. Up to him!
Does mith know that they won, and what that means?
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Post by Jingle »

I'd suggest relly PM him, so that he isn't bombarded with PMs.
This is a Parachute.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

:thumbsup:
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:49 am

Post by mith »

Oops. Forgot to check back to vote. New thread is up anyway, and whoever wants to run my setup (if anyone) can feel free to. :)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 am

Post by Jingle »

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=78659

Link to the new challenge. :)
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:37 am

Post by Jingle »

Panic room is now in signups in the Open Queue, for anyone interested in playing in it.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”