[SETUP] Unjester Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[SETUP] Unjester Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Post by mcqueen »

2 Mafia Goons

1 Mafia Unjester

1 Town 2-Shot Vigilante

7 Vanilla Townies

Setup Notes
  • Mafia have normal daytalk/nighttalk mechanics, except they are not told which 2 are the Goons, and which is the Unjester.
  • The Unjester LOSES if Endgamed, while the other Mafioso WIN; the other Mafioso LOSE outright if the Unjester is shot by the Vigilante (game ends in an Unjester WIN).
  • The Mafia may not nightkill one of their own.
Possible Balancing Suggestions
have no clue what the EV would be; these are all separate suggestions, combine any as necessary
  • Add a Town Cop.
  • Add a Town Doctor.
  • Make the Vigilante 1-Shot.
  • Give Town a factional Nightkill. All Town members submit a vote at night to the Mod. From there, the kill is either (1) selected by plurality; or, (2) by a randomization of the votes. So, if 2 votes were cast for Player A, 1 for Player B, and 1 for Player C, A would have a 50% of being killed, B 25%, and C 25%.
    This nightkill would likely occur once in the game, only under certain circumstances. For instance, if Town is doing poorly, at a set time (say Night 3), they get the nightkill. If Mafia only has one member remaining, the Town would NOT get the nightkill.

• Switch out a Mafia Goon for a Mafia Roleblocker.
  • Switch out a Mafia Goon for a Mafia Rolecop (cannot be used on team members).
Yeah, so I like to use uncommon roles, and I'm pretty sure (hoping!) there's a minority of us out there that like to be as bastard and uncommon as possible, and enjoy playing in such setups just as much.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The big problem with this is that I can't see any way for scum to manipulate which of two players town choose to kill, and which they choose to lynch. So if the Unjester plays scummily, in an attempt to draw the vig kill, it's 50:50 whether they're lynched or killed. (In Open setups which feature a Town Vigilante, it's common for towns to want to try to direct the vig kill; if they do, the lynch and kill become equivalent.)

If the Unjester is capable of winning with town, they also have the breaking strategy of claiming the entire scumteam during twilight in return for the town vigging them.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Or have I misinterpreted this, and does the Unjester not know they're an Unjester? In that case, you basically have a normal game of Mafia except that sometimes a scum player who was playing well ends up randomly losing rather than winning, which would be a bit disappointing as twist endings go.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Post by Creature »

I assume town loses too if unjester is killed by vig?
Sigh
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Post by mcqueen »

In post 3, Creature wrote:I assume town loses too if unjester is killed by vig?
well yeah, except I guess a caveat could be made that the game ends in a loss anytime after N2 for mafia and town if Unjester is vigged. however, if it happens N1 or N2, the game continues on as normal, with the Unjester and another faction sharing the victory.
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Post by mcqueen »

In post 1, callforjudgement wrote:The big problem with this is that I can't see any way for scum to manipulate which of two players town choose to kill, and which they choose to lynch. So if the Unjester plays scummily, in an attempt to draw the vig kill, it's 50:50 whether they're lynched or killed. (In Open setups which feature a Town Vigilante, it's common for towns to want to try to direct the vig kill; if they do, the lynch and kill become equivalent.)

If the Unjester is capable of winning with town, they also have the breaking strategy of claiming the entire scumteam during twilight in return for the town vigging them.
I get where you’re coming from, and this answer does not solve the entire issue. But the idea is, the two mafia goons will have theorized who the Unjester is by D2 and work towards pushing for his lynch.

also, another broken mechanic is that if the vig is ever nightkilled before the Unjester dies, the Unjester is guarenteed to lose
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:16 pm

Post by the worst »

If the vig shoots n1/n2 I think it's a 18.33% chance of the mafia unjester (deathster fyi) or 22.5% chance if the vig fires n2/n3 but I..dont see why they'd really be incentivised to make the deathster's life easier. actually the vig might be better off holding fire altogether which just removes the fun (unless they're like. compulsive n1 & 2 vig)

I probably wouldn't play it bc of the mafia working against mafia kinda thing which kinda forces scum to play in fairly specific roles, plus the deathster role would stink to rand.

I feel like its an interesting concept. just curious - how do you imagine players approaching the roles of {deathster, goon, vig, vt}? the synergy is definitely there but I'm curious to see where the idea for the setup came from?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
mcqueen
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
mcqueen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 am

Post by mcqueen »

In post 6, the worst wrote:If the vig shoots n1/n2 I think it's a 18.33% chance of the mafia unjester (deathster fyi) or 22.5% chance if the vig fires n2/n3 but I..dont see why they'd really be incentivised to make the deathster's life easier. actually the vig might be better off holding fire altogether which just removes the fun (unless they're like. compulsive n1 & 2 vig)

I probably wouldn't play it bc of the mafia working against mafia kinda thing which kinda forces scum to play in fairly specific roles, plus the deathster role would stink to rand.

I feel like its an interesting concept. just curious - how do you imagine players approaching the roles of {deathster, goon, vig, vt}? the synergy is definitely there but I'm curious to see where the idea for the setup came from?
I was scrolling thru the wiki and I came across Unjester. Typically it’s a third party role, but I started thinking about how to create a setup that forces mafia to play more similarly to town in a sense. They have to figure out who the Unjester is and get him lynched. The vig is obviously looking to shoot any of the 3 mafia, as are the townies looking to lynch. The Unjester basically needs to bait a vig shot without chancing a lynch, which puts them in a very tight spot. The setup basically puts more pressure on mafia to “earn” their win outside of the typical ‘hiding in plain sight.’ That’s why I feel the 3v8 was slightly more balanced than usual.

The game could be altered so that if the Unjester wins a LyLo situation, they draw with their teammates. Seems to provide more incentive for them to stay alive once both vig shots have been used up.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”