[SETUP] Poison Bomb

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

[SETUP] Poison Bomb

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Post by BNL »

I thought of a variation to Marked for Death:

2 Mafia Poisoners
7 Vanilla Townies

The Mafia have spent years working on a poison, which causes their target to die one day after ocnsumption. But these years in the lab have made them more vulnerable to the poison itself...

Every Night and pregame, the Mafia may poison someone. Poisoned players die at the end of the next Night phase, and are not informed they are poisoned. However, if a poisoned townie dies through physical means (i.e. lynch, not poison), a poisonous gas would be released that would kill all the Mafia (but not the townies).

The Mafia not only have fix their kill in advance, but make sure that their victim doesn’t die beforehand. This can be a problem if the Mafia fail to read the townie’s stances or if the townies change their reads. I have seen a few games where the Mafia fail to kill a player some Night, and town almost lynch that player the next Day.

If town are confident, they can also try to lynch the poisoned player for the win, but it’s probably a bad idea to do so because it doesn’t help town in their pirmary wincon if they’re wrong.

Another variation can also be played with one less VT and removing the pregame poison, as in Marked for Death.

Would this be fun to play? I feel like it’s awkward that town want to lynch either the scummy players or their towniest player.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:07 am

Post by BNL »

The EV for this is actually interesting to calculate

In comparison to Marked for Death, this seems to have a townier EV because there's an extra player in the lynchpool whose lynch is an immediate town win

In practice this is unlikely to happen, and with the lack of a conftown to organise things this probably has a lower winrate in practice
Not to mention that before 1:2 lylo scum's strategy is to no poison as they can simply delay the poison to next Day after getting vote control

In fact scum may no poison before 2:3 but idk if that's ideal
GTKAS - BNL

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 am

Post by BNL »

Could I get some feedback on this? :)
GTKAS - BNL

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:46 am

Post by Something_Smart »

This feels scumsided... town either lynches scummy players and it's basically mountainous, or they lynch towny players and get buried under a pile of WIFOM.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:18 pm

Post by the worst »

I'd concur with scumsided - it's really ideal for town to just poker face it and ignore the gas mechanic. The odds of guessing the scum nk are low, at best, save like Mylo where it's likely best for scum to just not poison to avoid high chance of gas death.

is 2v9 or possibly even 2v10 closer to balanced? It's more or less mountainous with a lessened incentive for scum to NK closer to XyLo I think

It's an interesting spin on the kind of idea proposed by Marked for Death but I'm not sure if it's something I'd play
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Post by BNL »

I understand that this is probably scumsided, but I'd counter it with: Because the player dies the next Night, there is now more information and anyone who was defending that player is more scummy.

Town should probably play this like mountanious, I agree, but the extra information from protecting the NK could be valuable. Think of this setup as a cross between Marked for Death and Lynchpin.
GTKAS - BNL

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Post by the worst »

I don't feel those are factors that strongly swing it back to a non-scumsided position but that's probably different perspectives on how much e.g. balance matters (though the chance of blocking the NK does get higher later in the game so that's a thing)

If you feel it's not scumsided I'd probably encourage just seeing if people would play it tbh it does sound like a fun enough variation!
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

I think this setup concept sounds really interesting. I think the "criticism" that it plays really similarly to a mountainous might be valid but mountainous =/= bad.

Maybe you could bring it closer to 50% by dabbling into the mechanic a little deeper: 2 Mafia Poisoners
6 Vanilla Townies
1 Town Crazy Ex
Crazy Ex: poisons one person each night, but when their jealous rage wears off, they slip antidote into the same person's dinner the next night. The targeted player will burst into a mafia-destroying poison fog just like a poisoned one if lynched during the 1 day of poison exposure. (The mafia are informed who was targeted) (I can't figure out a flavor justification for that this is already a flavor stretch to begin with lol)
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

If I'm reading that suggestion right, the crazy ex could just pick a random player, announce their target, and win the game for town d2
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 8, Irrelephant11 wrote:If I'm reading that suggestion right, the crazy ex could just pick a random player, announce their target, and win the game for town d2
Yeah I didn't think that all the way through huh.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”