[MARCH CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

[MARCH CHALLENGE]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Post by implosion »

See [FEBRUARY CHALLENGE] for last month's thread.

March Challenge
Create a new open setup.

Must fulfill at least one of the the following: Must contain at least one of the following:

Submit your setups as posts in this thread. You may re-submit and/or edit until March 29th, at which point we'll vote.

Winner will be in charge of the requirements for next month's challenge!

The first set of criteria here might be slightly non-objective as to what counts, but if it's borderline it's probably fine/feel free to ask!
Note as well that if your setup is semi-open, not all possible setups need to have one of the four roles in the second list; it's sufficient for one of them to.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:26 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Ego
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

A joke submission:

6 named townies
2 goons
Nightless

All names are announced at the start of D1. Town flips show names.
Town win by eliminating all scum.
Scum win by correctly naming every townie (note that this is inevitable if every townie but one is dead).
Scum do this in their pt. If they are correct about every name, they win. Otherwise, one living scum must 1v1 a living townie of their choice.
Ties on 1v1s break in scum’s favor.

Flavor is preferably names from a movie/theater show, and 1v1’s are the understudy trying to steal the part
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Why doesn't scum just go for the 1v1 on d1
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:30 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Inventions and Stability
3 Mafia

10 Town

1 alignment gets 2 power roles:
The Inventor,
who can give others guns(1-shot kill) or Heavy Bulletproof Vests(1-shot self-protection on use, cannot be applied consecutively).They can, however, provide rigged variants that kill the user - however, only once per item.
These items can be used on any nights, and multiple different items can be used on the same night(you can use both a Vest and a gun the same night)

The VIP
, who benefits the opposite team depending on how they die,
cannot use guns
, and endgames opposing players if they and another person are alive alone:

If they get lynched, then the game ends for their team.

If they get killed then the game ends for their team if one more member of their team is lynched.

The other alignment gets one power role:
A
hidden VIP Teamkill triggered PGO
. They will initially appear as Vanilla town or Vanilla Mafia. Only if the VIP is killed by a member of their own team their power activates for the rest of the game, and they become aware. They flip with full role PM.

The win conditions are as follows:

For the Mafia: Gain parity as team(2+ players) or eliminate all other players while one Mafia survives. If the VIP is on your team, do not get it lynched and do not get a member of the team lynched after the VIP has been killed. If it is on the opposing team, get the VIP lynched or lynch a member of the opposing team after the VIP died, and do not let the VIP live to 1v1.

For the Town: Prevent Mafia parity as a team, and eliminate all threats to the town while one town survives. If the VIP is on your team, do not get it lynched and do not get a member of the team lynched after the VIP has been killed. If it is on the opposing team, get the VIP lynched or lynch a member of the opposing team after the VIP died, and do not let the VIP live to 1v1.

The game can end without any team fulfilling the win condition(1v1 Mafia vs Town with gun), in this case, neither side wins.
Lynching is
not
compulsive.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:12 am

Post by BNL »

Ego
This should be stickied.

If I'm reading this right, does Lost Identity qualify? It has semi random generation and the IDs are like named townies. (I'll not be submitting that though because it's trash)
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:13 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 3, RadiantCowbells wrote:Why doesn't scum just go for the 1v1 on d1
Because even if they win the 1v1 the scum in the 1v1 will get lynched immediately afterwards
Better to try to solve he puzzle of townie names by getting a couple mislynches before using one of their chances to guess
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 am

Oh they don't win if win ok
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:33 am

Post by mith »

White Flag, The Coalition, My Name is Earl... I feel like this month's challenge was made for me. ;)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 am

Post by Jingle »

Capture the Flag1 Mafia Flagbearer
1 Mafia Goon

6 Vanilla Town
1 Town Flagbearer

Each night, a Flagbearer may choose a player. If that player shares their alignment, they become the new Flagbearer and the previous one becomes vanilla. If a Flagbearer is killed or lynched their faction loses. The night kill happens after the flag is passed.

Edited for clarity
Last edited by Jingle on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is a Parachute.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:21 am

In post 9, Jingle wrote:
1 Mafia Goon

6 Vanilla Town
1 Town Flagbearer

Each night, a Flagbearer may choose a player. If that player shares their alignment, they become the new Flagbearer and the previous one becomes vanilla. If a Flagbearer is killed their faction loses. The night kill happens after the flag is passed.
How does town win this
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 am

Post by Jingle »

Lynch the mafia flag bearer.
This is a Parachute.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 am

Post by implosion »

In post 5, BNL wrote:Ego
This should be stickied.

If I'm reading this right, does Lost Identity qualify? It has semi random generation and the IDs are like named townies. (I'll not be submitting that though because it's trash)
Yeah, this is one of those borderline cases.

I think conceptually lost identity doesn’t really feel like a semi open because there’s no actual distinction between the different possible setups that could be generated, because the roles (id numbers) are all equivalent except that they are different numbers. I’d certainly count it as having named townies. As for semi openness, if you wanted to submit something like it I’d personally squint at it but would just let the voters decide if it’s a good idea or not :p.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 am

Post by Jingle »

How about games that have 2-3 town Neighbors and 0-1 scum neighbors, adding up to a total of three neighbors? I know they exist but can't think of their names atm.
This is a Parachute.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:24 am

Post by mith »

In post 12, implosion wrote:
In post 5, BNL wrote:Ego
This should be stickied.

Yeah, this is one of those borderline cases.

I think conceptually lost identity doesn’t really feel like a semi open because there’s no actual distinction between the different possible setups that could be generated, because the roles (id numbers) are all equivalent except that they are different numbers. I’d certainly count it as having named townies. As for semi openness, if you wanted to submit something like it I’d personally squint at it but would just let the voters decide if it’s a good idea or not :p.
I wouldn't consider this semi-open, for what it's worth.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 am

Post by implosion »

Jingle wrote:How about games that have 2-3 town Neighbors and 0-1 scum neighbors, adding up to a total of three neighbors? I know they exist but can't think of their names atm.
Also sort-of borderline but I'd count it as semi-open. It's probably not an especially interesting design on its own, though, and it has potential (depending on the rest of the setup design) to swing based on which setup it's in.
In post 9, Jingle wrote:
1 Mafia Goon

6 Vanilla Town
1 Town Flagbearer

Each night, a Flagbearer may choose a player. If that player shares their alignment, they become the new Flagbearer and the previous one becomes vanilla. If a Flagbearer is killed or lynched their faction loses. The night kill happens after the flag is passed.

Edited for clarity
Does this have a role from the 2nd list? I wouldn't consider a flagbearer a named townie, as they have functionality beyond being named (passing along, losing if killed)
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 am

Post by Jingle »

Point, I kind of focused on the former. I'll try to submit something that actually fulfills the requirements at some point.
This is a Parachute.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am

Lost Heirs
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Town Spy

Pregame the Mafia must choose two players to be the
Lost Heirs.
One or both of the Lost Heirs may be Mafia members. The
Spy
is then informed of the name of one of the two Lost Heirs, randomly chosen. The Spy is not informed of the alignment of either Lost Heir. Lost Heirs are not aware of being Lost Heirs (unless they are mafia of course), but if they die, they flip as a
Town Lost Heir
or a
Mafia Lost Heir

If both Lost Heirs are dead, the Town automatically wins, even if they would otherwise be endgamed.

Once during the game, the Mafia may choose to
Arrest
their nightkill. This works the same as a normal nightkill, except that if the Spy is killed this way then the Town loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs. It is not announced when this power is used, unless it is used successfully on the Spy.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 17, Something_Smart wrote:
Lost Heirs
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Town Spy

Lost Heirs.
One or both of the Lost Heirs may be Mafia members. The
Spy
is then informed of the name of one of the two Lost Heirs, randomly chosen. The Spy is not informed of the alignment of either Lost Heir. Lost Heirs are not aware of being Lost Heirs (unless they are mafia of course), but if they die, they flip as a
Town Lost Heir
or a
Mafia Lost Heir

If both Lost Heirs are dead, the Town automatically wins, even if they would otherwise be endgamed.

Arrest
their nightkill. This works the same as a normal nightkill, except that if the Spy is killed this way then the Town loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs. It is not announced when this power is used, unless it is used successfully on the Spy.
What stops town from lynching a claimed spy to prevent scum from arresting them? Aside from losing 1 of very few lynches
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:31 am

Nothing, but I don't think it's a good strategy unless the spy's target is scum. If you lynch spy day 1 -> spy's target (who is town) day 2 you're in a lynchpin-ish LYLO with absolutely no information.

I suppose I could just say that town can't win via heirs if the spy is lynched to prevent that strategy entirely.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 am

Post by implosion »

I think that setup gets a little better if you stipulate that scum can't name both of themselves as lost heirs. If scum do so, it's not necessarily an overpowered option, but it kind of turns the setup into 2:7 with a townie that's informed of one of the mafia which is kind of... blasé. And I can imagine a lot of scumteams taking that option, and removing it doesn't really remove any of the interesting pieces. Might be wrong about this though.

I can imagine some pretty hilarious antics occurring in the setup. Like a 5 player LYLO after a town heir was killed in the previous day and the spy is still alive, and scum have to make a guess as to whether the spy knows the other heir. If they do, then scum HAVE to counterclaim the spy... which in turn means that the first spy claim will be more believable, and you might get cases like a mafia member claiming spy and saying that the other lost heir is [some random town member], and then having that town member counterclaim spy saying that they don't know who the other heir is because the one they knew is dead.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:52 am

What if the heirs are both town mandatory
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Not sure if that's necessary. If scum make one of their own an heir they can get screwed if the spy is told that player, even if they then kill the spy.
Irrelephant's and implosion's changes both seem fine though.

Lost Heirs V2
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Town Spy

Lost Heirs.
One of the Lost Heirs may be a Mafia member, but not both. The
Spy
Town Lost Heir
or a
Mafia Lost Heir

Arrest

If the Spy is lynched and was not a Lost Heir, the Town also loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Post by BNL »

So the Spy is informed they are an heir, they should claim to get lynched immediately?
I think it should be changed so that the Spy can’t be informed about themself.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Actually, the whole idea of the Spy being an Heir is pretty nasty, because they're never going to be lynched unless they know they're an Heir, and then they just claim immediately. How's this:
Lost Heirs V3
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Town Spy

Before the game, alignments are randomized and distributed. Then, the Mafia must choose two players to be the
Lost Heirs.
One of the Lost Heirs may be a Mafia member, but not both. After they have chosen, a random townie who is not a Lost Heir becomes the
Spy
, and they are then informed of the name of one of the two Lost Heirs, chosen randomly. The Spy is not informed of the alignment of either Lost Heir. Lost Heirs are not aware of being Lost Heirs (unless they are mafia of course), but if they die, they flip as a
Town Lost Heir
or a
Mafia Lost Heir

Arrest

If the Spy is lynched, the Town also loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”