[MARCH CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

after playing with power-town players like RC I realize that if nightless scum doesn't have some form of kill, then their win rate will be low, and their experience painful. however the good thing is there's usually only 1 or 2 people like RC in a game, so too many kills is not needed

(inb4 RC gets mad at me for treating him like an object... it's a sign of respect :lol: ok)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 74, DrDolittle wrote:
In post 72, callforjudgement wrote:I'd be inclined to choose 8:3 as the correct numbers rather than 9:3; I think you have the right idea by changing the numbers round though.
Is that with the 1-shot NK or nah?
Without.

With the kill, 9:3 is probably correct. (I missed that you'd changed more than the numbers and location count.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

^ nah I edited afterwards.

Maybe i wont make it nightless and instead 3:13 hmmm. I'll sleep on it. Thanks for the feedback callforjudgement
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

If you make it non-nightless, you can't give away the weapon with which the scum kill is made, or else the game will end up with really large swing (a lone scum will get caught by PoE very quickly). The nightless version is, therefore, probably more interesting.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:54 am

Post by implosion »

~9 days left to submit!
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

La la laaa la la lieee

Tried to modify this into something that removes the benefit of an early massclaim.

Pizza Mafia Updated
9 Players
2 Pineapple Mafia

6 Topping Townies
1 Informed Pepperoni

• First attempt at making a setup, so no guarantees of balance.

• Each Topping Townie gets a random topping from this list:
    • Cheese
    • Sausage
    • Pepper
    • Olive
    • Mushroom
    • Onion
    • Beef
    • Ham
    • Bacon
    • Spinach
  • No duplicates on toppings.

• Mafia are informed of which toppings are not in the current game.

• Informed Pepperoni is informed of one topping not in the game per night.

• Plurality lynch, town may not no lynch.

• Mafia has Daytalk and a factional nightkill.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Post by Jingle »

Probably balanced, but the ideal behavior is double No Lynch to massclaim unless I miss my mark.
This is a Parachute.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Seems pretty unenjoyable too
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 81, Jingle wrote:Probably balanced, but the ideal behavior is double No Lynch to massclaim unless I miss my mark.
big think
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Post by BNL »

Eh I don't have good ideas for this challenge
Improving my previous setup a bit

Martyrs Updated2 Mafia Goon
2 of {Town Deflector, Town Redirector, Town Nexus}
5 Vanilla Townie

Deflector = Target 2 players. Any actions targeting the first instead target the second.
Redirector = Target 2 players. Any actions taken by the first instead target the second.
Nexus = Target a player. Any actions performed on you instead target who you targeted.
All these have higher priority than Bodyguards.

Every Day, if a townie is lynched, all townies on the wagon become a bodyguard for the Night. If a Mafia is lynched, all townies off the wagon become a bodyguard. Any PRs who becomes a bodyguard cannot use their action that Night. If there's a no lynch, all PRs are blocked and there are no bodyguards.

The priority of bodyguard is as follows: if a townie is lynched, voters nearer to the end of the wagon have a higher priority. If a Mafia is lynched, voters on larger wagons have a higher priority than those on smaller wagons, who are higher than those Not Voting. For wagons of equal size, the one who was higher most recently is of higher priority, and on the same wagon, the last vote has higher priority. For not voting, the one who most recently unvotes has largest priority, but if two townies never voted, it goes by playerlist order.

If a killed player is protected by more than one bodyguard, it is deflected onto the one with highest priority. Bodyguards can chain, but not more than once per bodyguard, so if the bodyguards form a cycle in resolution, the first bodyguard in the cycle is killed.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I don't even know why I made this, but it works here I guess (at least for it having the blue flip townie).

This is probably insane.

Leveler Mafia
13 players

1 Mafia Leveler

2 Mafia Goons

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Vanilla Townie (but blue)

No balance guarantees on this setup since it's a first attempt, sorry!

Levelers must confirm their Role PMs with a L (for Low) or H (for High).

After pregame, the Levelers are pretty much just Named Townies and a Named Goon. They flip as Levelers, without their letter choices.

Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons may receive second role PMs after the Levelers confirm their choices. The second role PM contains their power role, which will flip as such.

Three L's indicate
low power level
. No second role PMs are sent.

One H and two L's indicate
medium power level
. One Vanilla Townie receives a second role PM saying they are a Jailkeeper and one Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are a Neapolitan.

Two H's and one L indicate
high power level
. In addition to the second role PMs from medium power level, two Vanilla Townies receive a second role PM saying they are Masons and the other Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are an Informed Goon who knows the identity of both of the Town Levelers.

Three H's indicate
special power level
. Not including the lower levels, two Vanilla Townies receive a second role PM saying they are Masons and one Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are an Informed Goon who knows the identity of both of the Town Levelers.

Vanilla Townie (but blue) is treated as a Vanilla Townie for all purposes, except that the color of the role flip is blue and not green. The Vanilla Townie (but blue)'s role PMs have the role colored blue and not green.

Mafia have daytalk, multitasking, and a factional nightkill.

Masons have daytalk and are confirmed Town to each other.

The Informed Goon does not flip with the Town Leveler identities.

I am willing to swap high and special power level if it makes for a more interesting setup.

Update v1.1: Informed Goon now knows both of the Town Leveler's identites.

Spoiler: All Possible Setups
Low Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

2 Mafia Goons

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

7 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

Medium Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Mafia Neapolitan

1 Mafia Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

1 Town Jailkeeper
(may be blue)

6 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

High Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Mafia Neapolitan

1 Informed Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

1 Town Jailkeeper
(may be blue)

2 Town Masons
(may be blue)

4 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

Special Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Informed Goon

1 Mafia Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

2 Town Masons
(may be blue)

5 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)
Last edited by TemporalLich on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
time will end
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

That looks nice, except I don't know how knowing who one of the town levelers are could help mafia.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Town levelers are basically semi-IC’s here, I think
Since if mafia leveler claims town will only lynch in the leveler claims for an increased chance of hitting scum
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 am

Post by implosion »

So I still don’t really have computer access til tonight, and idk what voting method to use - if mith is reading this and has anything in mind I encourage him to speak up :p
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:58 am

Post by Jingle »

No preference on voting type, but I'll go ahead and collect the setups and rank them. If I need to change my voting type then let me know. :)
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:09 am

Post by Jingle »

Final Submissions AFAICT. Didn't include previous submissions this time, and did significantly less formatting.

Spoiler:
In post 4, Not Known 15 wrote:
Inventions and Stability
3 Mafia

10 Town

1 alignment gets 2 power roles:
The Inventor,
who can give others guns(1-shot kill) or Heavy Bulletproof Vests(1-shot self-protection on use, cannot be applied consecutively).They can, however, provide rigged variants that kill the user - however, only once per item.
These items can be used on any nights, and multiple different items can be used on the same night(you can use both a Vest and a gun the same night)

The VIP
, who benefits the opposite team depending on how they die,
cannot use guns
, and endgames opposing players if they and another person are alive alone:

If they get lynched, then the game ends for their team.

If they get killed then the game ends for their team if one more member of their team is lynched.

The other alignment gets one power role:
A
hidden VIP Teamkill triggered PGO
. They will initially appear as Vanilla town or Vanilla Mafia. Only if the VIP is killed by a member of their own team their power activates for the rest of the game, and they become aware. They flip with full role PM.

The win conditions are as follows:

For the Mafia: Gain parity as team(2+ players) or eliminate all other players while one Mafia survives. If the VIP is on your team, do not get it lynched and do not get a member of the team lynched after the VIP has been killed. If it is on the opposing team, get the VIP lynched or lynch a member of the opposing team after the VIP died, and do not let the VIP live to 1v1.

For the Town: Prevent Mafia parity as a team, and eliminate all threats to the town while one town survives. If the VIP is on your team, do not get it lynched and do not get a member of the team lynched after the VIP has been killed. If it is on the opposing team, get the VIP lynched or lynch a member of the opposing team after the VIP died, and do not let the VIP live to 1v1.

The game can end without any team fulfilling the win condition(1v1 Mafia vs Town with gun), in this case, neither side wins.
Lynching is
not
compulsive.

Spoiler:
In post 24, Something_Smart wrote:Actually, the whole idea of the Spy being an Heir is pretty nasty, because they're never going to be lynched unless they know they're an Heir, and then they just claim immediately. How's this:
Lost Heirs V3
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Town Spy

Before the game, alignments are randomized and distributed. Then, the Mafia must choose two players to be the
Lost Heirs.
One of the Lost Heirs may be a Mafia member, but not both. After they have chosen, a random townie who is not a Lost Heir becomes the
Spy
, and they are then informed of the name of one of the two Lost Heirs, chosen randomly. The Spy is not informed of the alignment of either Lost Heir. Lost Heirs are not aware of being Lost Heirs (unless they are mafia of course), but if they die, they flip as a
Town Lost Heir
or a
Mafia Lost Heir

If both Lost Heirs are dead, the Town automatically wins, even if they would otherwise be endgamed.

Once during the game, the Mafia may choose to
Arrest
their nightkill. This works the same as a normal nightkill, except that if the Spy is killed this way then the Town loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs. It is not announced when this power is used, unless it is used successfully on the Spy.

If the Spy is lynched, the Town also loses its ability to win by killing both Lost Heirs.

Spoiler:
In post 25, callforjudgement wrote:
Microtown
  • Microtown is a 9-player game using the Smalltown mechanic: there are 36 possible setups, each of which has the same roles, but a different assignment of alignments to roles (each assignment of 7 town and 2 scum is possible).
  • Each player's role (but not alignment, obviously) is confirmed by the moderator at the start of the game. (This means that the roles can be picked via WIFOMdraft, if desired, rather than randomised.)
  • Mafia members automatically get the Multitasking modifier, allowing them to perform a kill and a night action at the same time.
  • Normal phase sequence and kills (i.e. Day Start, scum have a factional kill).
  • Scum win by killing the entire town, and vice versa; play beyond 50% is possible if town have a power role combination that could potentially allow them to eliminate all the scum first, despite not outnumbering them.
  • The roles are as follows:
    • Night 3 Vigilante
    • 1-shot Roleblocker
    • Personal Redirector (investigative roles get "your target"-style results, so won't know they've been redirected; targets both the player being redirected and the player being redirected onto, thus can't redirect onto the Ascetic)
    • Rolestopper
    • Ascetic Alien Babysitter (by analogy with Alien Jailkeeper): all actions aimed directly at the Babysitter's target fail (not just kills), but if the Babysitter dies overnight, so does their target
    • Night 2 Informed (informed of the alignment of a randomly selected living townie, not counting themself, at the end of night 2)
    • Traffic Analyst (always gets "can communicate" on the Messenger, thus will likely investigate someone else)
    • Unlimited Messenger; can send an unlimited number of private messages to other players (via the moderator), day or night, but the recipients cannot respond privately (they'll have to respond in-thread or not at all)
    • Doublevoter (the variant which casts one vote and it's given double weight in the voting)
  • Action resolution is Reasonable Action Resolution. That gives the following resolutions for loops of manipulatives:
    • Rolestopper, Babysitter target the same player: both actions fail, other actions targeting that player succeed
    • Redirector attempts to redirects actions onto a target who's rolestopped or babysat (but not both): redirection fails, actions target their original target
    • Redirector attempts to redirect actions of a target who's rolestopped or babysat (but not both): redirection fails, actions target their original target
    • Roleblocker attempts to block a player who's rolestopped or babysat (but not both): roleblock fails, that player's actions go through
    • Redirector attempts to redirect the Rolestopper or Babysitter onto a new target: redirection succeeds, unless the other rolestopping role targeted one of the Redirector's targets
    • Redirector attempts to redirect the Rolestopper or Babysitter onto their current target: the redirection has no effect
    • Redirector attempts to redirect the Roleblocker, who is roleblocking someone else: redirection succeeds
    • Redirector attempts to redirect the Roleblocker, who is blocking the Redirector: redirection fails, the Roleblocker blocks the Redirector and not anyone else

I've been wanting to make a good open Smalltown for a while, and this contest has finally spurred me into action (as the mechanic is conceptually one in which the game is fundamentally semi-open and everyone is Named). Besides, I make setups with nonstandard win conditions all the time, and aren't the monthly challenges a good time for a change?

To balance the various subsetups of a Smalltown, the sum of how useful a role is for town and for scum should come to a constant; thus, roles should be good for town and useless for scum (e.g. N2 Informed), or good for scum and useless for town (e.g. Doublevoter), or mildly useful for both (e.g. Rolestopper in a setup where it's known to exist). I haven't been able to do that exactly here, but it's close.

Balancing a 9p with 9 power roles is also difficult; you have to err considerably on the side of "useful for scum" (thus the large number of manipulatives, and the use of rolestop effects for protectives). It wouldn't surprise me if this were unbalanced, or even if some subsetups were broken, although I've tried to keep things under control. (If it's unbalanced, it's probably townsided.) It might have to be run to work out where the balance lies. (Monthly challenge setups tend not to be all that balanced anyway, probably because it's hard to balance a game that uses unusual mechanics without having some experience with them.)

Spoiler:
In post 26, BBmolla wrote:

I'd Take a Bullet

14 Players

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia N2 Suicidal Goon
1 Mafia 0-shot Vig

11 1-shot Fixated Elite Bodygaurds

• Fixated: This player may only target the player their vote ended on at the end of the day.
  • Elite Bodygaurd: During the night, select a player. If that player is targeted for a nightkill, both you and the nightkiller will die.
  • Mafia are all Multitasking.
  • If a Mafia player is lynched, any players on the wagon gain +1-shot. (This affects both Town and Mafia.)
  • At the start of the game, Mafia may choose to give their vig additional shots, but changes their win condition and the Suicidal Mafia's Role. Town is not informed of Mafia's choice.
    • 1-shot Vig: Mafia win condition becomes White Flag, Mafia Suicidal Goon becomes a Mafia Goon.
    • 2-shot Vig: All Mafia become Lovers, Mafia Suicidal Goon becomes a Mafia Roleblocker.

3/6/19 version

I'd Take a Bullet

13 Players

1 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Shotcop
1 Mafia 0-shot Vig

10 1-shot Fixated Elite Bodygaurds

• Fixated: This player may only target the player their vote ended on at the end of the day.
  • Elite Bodygaurd: During the night, select a player. If that player is targeted for a nightkill, both you and the nightkiller will die.
  • Shotcop: During the night, target a player. You will be informed how many shots they have left of their ability.
  • Mafia are all Multitasking.
  • If a Mafia player is lynched, any players on the wagon gain +1-shot. (This affects both Town and Mafia.)
  • At the start of the game, Mafia may choose to give their vig additional shots, but receive negative effects as a result of it. Town is not informed of Mafia's choice.
    • 1-shot Vig: Mafia become White Flag.
    • 2-shot Vig: All Mafia become Lovers.

Spoiler:
In post 29, OkaPoka wrote:
PICK YOUR ALMOST EVERYTHINGFirst setup attempt so balance is out of the window. Also something like this probably exists. I just wanted to merge Greatest Idea Mafia and Pick Your Power X/Y without having alignment stuff.
3 Mafia

11 Town

PREGAME

Roll 1d2 for every player, determining whether they have pick choices from 1:
POWER ROLES
or 2:
MODIFIERS
Roll 3d20 for every player, any repeats per individual should be rerolled until every player has three different numbers. (Person 1 and Person 2 can have the same number(s), but Person 1 cannot have 1, 1, 4).
Roll 1d20 for every player.

Then the moderator will send each player 3 choices (based on whether they have pick choice from
POWER ROLES
or
MODIFIERS
using the 3d20) and the forced
POWER ROLES
or
MODIFIERS
based on the 1d20. Also the player will be pm'd their alignment. The player must pick one of the three choices.

After receiving the list of all the player picks, the moderator then runs tiebreaks. If any players ended up with either the same role and/or same modifier (EXCEPT FOR VANILLA AND NEIGHBOR), the moderator will roll tiebreaks to determine the winner of the tiebreaks. The winner gets to keep their POWER ROLE/MODIFIER while the loser(s) become "Informed," knowing that there exists that specific POWER ROLE or MODIFIER in the game.

Then the moderator will send out all Role PMS in the form of
<Alignment Name> <Power Role Name>, <Modifier>

for example:
Town Doctor, Loud

Mafia Informed, Informed
(You know that <redacted> power role exists and <redacted> modifier exists)

Game stuff:

Mafia faction have access to pregame chat.
Daytalk is enabled.
All neighbors are in one neighborhood.
Mafia faction have access to a factional nightkill.
Mafia faction may multitask.
Compulsive scum means they must perform both the factional kill and their ability as long as they are alive.
Indecisive scum means they cannot target anybody they targeted last night, (for example: "Mafia Watcher, Indecisive" who attacked Player A and watched Player B may use neither of his actions on either Player A or B).
Gunsmith returns guilty on all cop variants.
Informed flips do not return what they were informed about.
Picking Innocent Child/Strongman makes you IC as town, 1-shot Strongman as scum. IC is revealed at game start.
Being a Town Vanilla, Compulsive and stuff like that makes you essentially a named Townie.
Treestumps will flip your alignment + role + modifier, treestumps only activate upon death.
Vanilla'd targets are told they lose their power role/ modifier. Vanilla'd neighbors will lose access to the neighborhood.

POWER ROLES LIST
  • 1. Vanilla
    2. Vanilla
    3. Vanilla
    4. Vanilla
    5. Vanilla
    6. Power role Cop
    7. Modifier Cop
    8. Watcher
    9. Tracker
    10. Vigilante
    11. Jailkeeper
    12. Gunsmith
    13. Cop
    14. Power Role Vanillaiser
    15. Modifier Vanillaiser
    16. Bodyguard
    17. Doctor
    18. Rolecop
    19. Roleblocker
    20. Innocent Child/1-shot Strongman
MODIFIERS LIST
  • 1. Vanilla
    2. Vanilla
    3. Vanilla
    4. Vanilla
    5. Vanilla
    6. Neighbor
    7. Neighbor
    8. Neighbor
    9. Tree stump
    10. Vengeful
    11. Loud
    12. 1-shot Bulletproof
    13. Loyal
    14. Ninja
    15. Ascetic
    16. Hated
    17. Weak
    18. Compulsive
    19. Macho
    20. Indecisive

Spoiler:
In post 32, northsidegal wrote:
Pick 5
13 players
  • 3:10
  • Pre-game, the Mafia pick two categories and assign one Mafia role from each category to a member of the Mafia.
    • The Mafia may assign two roles / a role and a modifier to the same member, should they desire.
  • Three town players will randomly be chosen. Each will pick a Town role from one of the three categories that the Mafia did not select.

Encryptor

Multitasking

Cop

Watcher
Ascetic

Motion Detector

Jailkeeper

Vigilante
JOAT (Ninja, Strongman)

Informed (TPR Selection)

Neapolitan

Weak Hider
1-shot Redirector

Rolecop

Bodyguard

Tracker
Roleblocker

Asceticizer

1-shot Bulletproof

Neighborizer

So for example, if the Mafia chose an Encryptor and a Roleblocker, the three town PRs would respectively choose to be either a Jailkeeeper or a Vig, a Neap or a Hider, and a BG or a Tracker.

Specific category role distribution can obviously be tweaked for balance.

I'm honestly not all that attached to this idea, but I've had the beginnings of a setup similar to this rattling around for a while and it was close enough to the specifications that I just modified it a little bit. Plus, I wanted to ego post this thread :oops:

Spoiler:
In post 39, Jingle wrote:Kind of a boring-ish setup, but I doubt I'll have time to come up with something better.

Setup A:

1x Watcher
1x Bodyguard
5x VT
2x Mafia Goon

Setup B:
1x Tracker
1x Doctor
5x VT
2x Goon

In addition to their nightkill, scum has a factional rolestop each night. Scum is multitasking.

Spoiler:
In post 53, Irrelephant11 wrote:Real submission

choose your own adventure7v2

Pre-game, or maybe during a short pregame discussion phase (undecided on this), each player privately submits the letter I, P, or V. Based on the number of each letter, the setup is determined. If there are an odd number of I or P submissions, one of that letter becomes a V.

(I)nformative
0 I’s: Named townie
2: Parity Neapolitan (receives results in the form “Result A” and “Result B”. Each corresponds to “is vanilla townie” or “is not vanilla townie”, but the neap doesn’t know which is which)
4: 1-shot cop
6: Cop
8: Jailkeeper

(P)rotective:
0: 1-shot bulletproof
2: Bodyguard
4: 1-shot jailkeeper
6: Doctor
8: Jailkeeper

(V)anilla:
9: 2 loud goons
7: Loud goon and goon
5: 2 goons
3: 1-shot mafia Rolecop and goon
1: 1-shot mafia strongman and goon

So each of the 15 possible setups should look like
“Informative town role”
“Protective town role”
5 vts

2 mafia of some kind

Town power roles are always assigned to a townie who submitted an “I” or “P”, if possible (in this way, townies who like rolling vt can nearly guarantee it, and those who like being a PR can increase their chances).
Similarly, if one scum gives a V and the other doesn’t, the less powerful role (if applicable) will be given to the scum who submitted a V.

Scum have daychat and are multitasking.

Spoiler:
In post 80, ceejayvinoya wrote:La la laaa la la lieee

Tried to modify this into something that removes the benefit of an early massclaim.

Pizza Mafia Updated
9 Players
2 Pineapple Mafia

6 Topping Townies
1 Informed Pepperoni

• First attempt at making a setup, so no guarantees of balance.

• Each Topping Townie gets a random topping from this list:
    • Cheese
    • Sausage
    • Pepper
    • Olive
    • Mushroom
    • Onion
    • Beef
    • Ham
    • Bacon
    • Spinach
  • No duplicates on toppings.

• Mafia are informed of which toppings are not in the current game.

• Informed Pepperoni is informed of one topping not in the game per night.

• Plurality lynch, town may not no lynch.

• Mafia has Daytalk and a factional nightkill.

Spoiler:
In post 84, BNL wrote:Eh I don't have good ideas for this challenge
Improving my previous setup a bit

Martyrs Updated2 Mafia Goon
2 of {Town Deflector, Town Redirector, Town Nexus}
5 Vanilla Townie

Deflector = Target 2 players. Any actions targeting the first instead target the second.
Redirector = Target 2 players. Any actions taken by the first instead target the second.
Nexus = Target a player. Any actions performed on you instead target who you targeted.
All these have higher priority than Bodyguards.

Every Day, if a townie is lynched, all townies on the wagon become a bodyguard for the Night. If a Mafia is lynched, all townies off the wagon become a bodyguard. Any PRs who becomes a bodyguard cannot use their action that Night. If there's a no lynch, all PRs are blocked and there are no bodyguards.

The priority of bodyguard is as follows: if a townie is lynched, voters nearer to the end of the wagon have a higher priority. If a Mafia is lynched, voters on larger wagons have a higher priority than those on smaller wagons, who are higher than those Not Voting. For wagons of equal size, the one who was higher most recently is of higher priority, and on the same wagon, the last vote has higher priority. For not voting, the one who most recently unvotes has largest priority, but if two townies never voted, it goes by playerlist order.

If a killed player is protected by more than one bodyguard, it is deflected onto the one with highest priority. Bodyguards can chain, but not more than once per bodyguard, so if the bodyguards form a cycle in resolution, the first bodyguard in the cycle is killed.

Spoiler:
In post 85, TemporalLich wrote:I don't even know why I made this, but it works here I guess (at least for it having the blue flip townie).

This is probably insane.

Leveler Mafia
13 players

1 Mafia Leveler

2 Mafia Goons

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

6 Vanilla Townies

1 Vanilla Townie (but blue)

No balance guarantees on this setup since it's a first attempt, sorry!

Levelers must confirm their Role PMs with a L (for Low) or H (for High).

After pregame, the Levelers are pretty much just Named Townies and a Named Goon. They flip as Levelers, without their letter choices.

Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons may receive second role PMs after the Levelers confirm their choices. The second role PM contains their power role, which will flip as such.

Three L's indicate
low power level
. No second role PMs are sent.

One H and two L's indicate
medium power level
. One Vanilla Townie receives a second role PM saying they are a Jailkeeper and one Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are a Neapolitan.

Two H's and one L indicate
high power level
. In addition to the second role PMs from medium power level, two Vanilla Townies receive a second role PM saying they are Masons and the other Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are an Informed Goon who knows the identity of both of the Town Levelers.

Three H's indicate
special power level
. Not including the lower levels, two Vanilla Townies receive a second role PM saying they are Masons and one Mafia Goon receives a second role PM saying they are an Informed Goon who knows the identity of both of the Town Levelers.

Vanilla Townie (but blue) is treated as a Vanilla Townie for all purposes, except that the color of the role flip is blue and not green. The Vanilla Townie (but blue)'s role PMs have the role colored blue and not green.

Mafia have daytalk, multitasking, and a factional nightkill.

Masons have daytalk and are confirmed Town to each other.

The Informed Goon does not flip with the Town Leveler identities.

I am willing to swap high and special power level if it makes for a more interesting setup.

Update v1.1: Informed Goon now knows both of the Town Leveler's identites.

All Possible Setups
Low Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

2 Mafia Goons

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

7 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

Medium Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Mafia Neapolitan

1 Mafia Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

1 Town Jailkeeper
(may be blue)

6 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

High Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Mafia Neapolitan

1 Informed Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

1 Town Jailkeeper
(may be blue)

2 Town Masons
(may be blue)

4 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

Special Power Level

1 Mafia Leveler

1 Informed Goon

1 Mafia Goon

2 Town Levelers

1 Town Tracker

2 Town Masons
(may be blue)

5 Vanilla Townies
(may be blue)

Spoiler:
In post 67, DrDolittle wrote:
Counter Strike3 Terrorists (Mafia)
9 Counter-Terrorists (Town)

Rules
  • 3 Players are assigned to each of {Knife, P250, AK-47, Steyr AUG} randomly. This is public information (Named).
  • Mafia has X-shot kills that can be used once per night. A kill reveals weapon used.
  • At the start of the game, the BOMB is planted in a random LOCATION A B C or D (Semi-Open). The mafia is informed of this location.
  • In addition to a lynch, players vote for a DEFUSER. If DEFUSER is town, he
    must
    choose a LOCATION to investigate. If DEFUSER is scum, nothing happens.
  • During each night, mafia may place at most one member in each of the location A B C or D as a CAMPER.
  • If the LOCATION has the BOMB but no CAMPER, town immediately wins.
  • If the LOCATION has a CAMPER, the DEFUSER is killed, and the weapon used and location of death is revealed.
  • If the LOCATION has no CAMPER and no BOMB, the DEFUSER survives.
[Tentatively set X=1 right now?]
Last edited by Jingle on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:35 am

Post by Jingle »

CYOA (Relly) - Kinda think this would be a decent Newbie setup if it had randomly generated letters, tbh. Seems balanced, understandable. 5/5 Elephants.
Microtown (cfj) - Hell yeah. I loves me a Smalltown. Admittedly, I haven't looked at all the setups, but it seems balanced enough.
Pick 5 (nsg) - Interesting premise, decent setups. I like the choice between high power and low power being in the scum's hands.
Lost Heirs V3 (S_S) - Interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about lynching town possibly being protown.
I'd Take a Bullet (BBM) - Thinking about this, I'm not a fan of the will they/won't they bodyguard aspect of the setup. Seems balanced enough though.
Martyrs (BNL) - Kinda meh, but playable. Probably massclaim D1 due to the strength of having so many protectives.
Boring Setup (Jingle) - Didn't really manage what I wanted it to do, tbh.
Counter-Strike (DDL) - As is: Broken by no Lynch.
Leveler (TL) - I think the higher power setups are > lower power setups Town EV wise, so setup can be assumed to be High Power. Too many confirmable roles, imo.
Pick Your Almost Everything (OkaPoka) - Not really a fan of GI setups in general. They're kinda ubalanced imo. This doesn't have the truly ridiculous options of a GI that makes the memes so natural either. Just not my cuppa tea.
Inventions and Stability (NK15) - I don't trust vigs. Also, seems like the game is vastly different balance wise depending on which team gets what abilities. Specifically, scum inventor is basically double nightkills all game, which is crazy broken, and the VIP basically can't be NK-d.
PIZZA (cj) - I just really don't like the setup. Sorry. :(
Last edited by Jingle on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

is not nice you missed me jangles
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:15 pm

Post by Jingle »

Fixed. At least in my rankings post.

With a limited number of scum kills lynching is never protown in that setup, btw.
This is a Parachute.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I’ll vote tomorrow!
Btw for my setup I decided that the first 48 hours of game time is the discussion phase. Players have their alignments and a very short time to choose to try to coordinate a setup pick (and scum then have the chance to try to ruin that pick) if they want.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:04 pm

Post by BNL »

I submitted a trash setup this time because I didn't have good ideas. Last contest had more creative room
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Post by Jingle »

Agreed. If one of my top 3 isn't the pick I'll be shocked.
This is a Parachute.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:20 am

Post by DrDolittle »

i guess nl is a broken strategy since you can just send the same guy 4 times till he visited all the location, and if he never dies, then he's scum, and lynch him.

but even so just modify the setup with plurality and it should be solved, or add in more townies and make the game with NKs.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Post by Jingle »

So.... Can we figure out the winner sometime soon? I'd like to see April's prompt :)
This is a Parachute.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Post by implosion »

Alright. We'll just use the same voting method as last month. I've always liked the condorcet criterion.
mith wrote:Please post a list of setups in order from favorite to least favorite. You may list as many or as few as you want. You may list tied setups (mark accordingly). Any setups not listed will be tied jointly at the bottom. You may list your own setup - I will assume everyone is voting their own setup as favorite unless you explicitly rank it otherwise.
Jingle gave a list of setups to rank in . In the interest of me having neglected to actually say how to vote until now but to get the next one started reasonably, we'll say ~48 hours to vote.

Please vote within (expired on 2019-04-05 21:00:00) - after that, I'll plug the votes into the thing mith used last time and we'll have a winner :p

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”