[SETUP] Follow the Leader... Or Not

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

[SETUP] Follow the Leader... Or Not

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Post by BNL »

3 Mafia Goon
1 Town Leader
7-8 Informed Townie
1-2 Insane Informed Townie

There's a 70% chance of 1 Insane and 30% chance of 2 Insane.
The Informed townies are informed who the Leader is. The Insane informed townies will be told that they're informed townies, but will be told that a different townie is the town leader. If there are two Insanes, they may or may not be informed about different townies, but they will not receive each other.

This is an added twist to Something_Smart's Follow the Leader, and I think the presence of the Insane townie will make the game more interesting. In order to prevent the game from breaking by massclaim, though, I had to make the setup larger.

By the way, this is a valid submission to the March challenge, but I'm not sure if it is ethical to modify and submit someone else's setup to the challenge.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:24 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I personally feel it is ethical since a lot of popular open setups are mechanically similar to one another
But maybe make more than one change so it’s not just “____ with a twist”
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Oh also
I like it
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 am

Post by Something_Smart »

You have my permission to submit this for the challenge, but if you win, I get to help you design the requirements for the next one :P (Just make sure to mention there that it's derivative.)

I feel like, come massclaim, if two people claim to be insane it's probably just optimal to assume that there's only one insane townie and one of them is lying. Maybe increase the odds of there being two insane townies... do insane townies flip as insane?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 am

Post by BNL »

I'd actually like to hear more comments on the actual setup rather than contest ethics.

I'm interested in how this setup will play out because of how the insane townies can get in the way of scumhunting. That said, if the insane townies survive to massclaim, they have an actual inno which may balance the setup somewhat. Of course, this can be balanced out with Mafia claiming to be insane.

Also I forgot to mention, this setup is limited reveal: Only alignment flips on death, role doesn't.

There's a lot of difference between the setups though, where one has more distractions but also more innos. Maybe increase the chance of the second insane to 40%?
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I think the most interesting part of this setup is the way townies with the correct town leader info can be paranoid that they don’t have the correct town leader info
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

Is town leader a game breaking setup under some encryption type strategy, where the key is the town leaders say name. Then people with the private key can verify each others names and just lynch the insane and the goons

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”