[APRIL CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

[APRIL CHALLENGE]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

See [MARCH CHALLENGE] for last month's thread.

April Challenge
Create a new open setup.

Must contain the following: Must contain at least one of the following:
  • Zero power roles
  • Zero nightkills

Submit your setups as posts in this thread. You may re-submit and/or edit until April 28th, at which point we'll do a voting thing

Winner will be in charge of the requirements for next month's challenge!
Last edited by Irrelephant11 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:27 am

Post by BBmolla »

Link to Implo’s setup?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Just edited it in
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 am

Post by Jingle »

Hmm. Larges only. Workable, I suppose.

Point of clarification, does 0 power roles include factional powers or group controlled powers? Does it include neighborhoods?

I'm assuming no to the former and yes to the latter, but I'd like to be sure. :]
This is a Parachute.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:24 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

You’re correct in your assumptions! Unless neighborhoods are a unique setup mechanic and nobody ever has a “Town Neighbor” role PM
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Ego

What is a zero power role exactly?
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:03 pm

Post by northsidegal »

ah, i think that's just "0 power roles", as in a lack of any power roles.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Just to clarify the rules: does not having lynches at all, and settling all deaths via night actions, comply with the first restriction?
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Probably not, it says eliminate players during the day.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 8, ceejayvinoya wrote:Probably not, it says eliminate players during the day.
Basically this, though if your mechanic is something like “mark players during the day, some of these marked players die at night” I’m willing to stretch it a bit
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:59 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 6, northsidegal wrote:ah, i think that's just "0 power roles", as in a lack of any power roles.
^
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:54 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I edited the “Must have at least 1” list after realizing “a lack of nightkills” was what I was originally going for, not “a lack of a night phase”
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 am

Post by BNL »

Is a mafia vengkill a nightkill?
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Umm well if all mafia have vengekills and no townies do, I would be inclined to say yes
On the other hand if all players get vengekills when they’re day-eliminated (or if some scum and some townies, or one single scum and no one else, etc), I would be inclined to say no
Try to err on the side of “I’m not just giving mafia a nightkill with different flavor no matter how you look at it”
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Ego

These requirements seem perfect for a cult game :thinking:
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:07 am

Post by BNL »

Also what do you define as “Lynch”

Is “Eliminate one person from a pool every Day” generally okay for a reasonably small pool size (for any selectiom of the pool) or it too much like Lynch?
GTKAS - BNL

Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:12 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

When I say “single-slot lynch” I mean:
-A majority or deadline-plurality vote that
-Directly eliminates one player

Implosion’s mechanic was a unique way to change the second bullet point, but if you have some way to keep the second bullet point and change the first, I’m cool with that too.

Hopefully that helps, your wording was a little unclear (“eliminate” how?), so I thought I’d just define it.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:15 am

Post by BNL »

How about this:
Find three5 Mafia
10 Townies

Every Day, players vote for a group of 3 players. If all are scum, Town win. Otherwise, one townie from that group that the Mafia chooses dies

Mafia win with 50%

Bad setup, I will definitely make a good one later.
GTKAS - BNL

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 am

Post by BNL »

In post 16, Irrelephant11 wrote:When I say “single-slot lynch” I mean:
-A majority or deadline-plurality vote that
-Directly eliminates one player

Implosion’s mechanic was a unique way to change the second bullet point, but if you have some way to keep the second bullet point and change the first, I’m cool with that too.

Hopefully that helps, your wording was a little unclear (“eliminate” how?), so I thought I’d just define it.
The simplest way to put it is, would the mechanics of Nomination Mafia be considered different from Lynch?
GTKAS - BNL

Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:29 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I’m gonna go with no. It’s a cool example of balancing no nightkills, though.
The setup you submitted works, though
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:31 am

Post by BNL »

Also can you define "zero power roles"
Is it still okay if everyone starts out vanilla but there are some inventor-like mechanics in the game?
And this may be a huge stretch but can even things like Pick your Power be considered no power roles (because they all start as VTs at the start of the game, but gain it after a bidding phase)

Because even VTs have the base power to vote and I feel like there are other thing a VT will be allowed to do.
Actually, I feel like as long as all Town have the same roles it should be fine. Would you accept Vengecop as no power roles, as it can be easily rewritten to be mechanically identical with VTs only?
GTKAS - BNL

Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Yes to your last question
I have faith that if every submission tries to hold to the spirit of the guidelines I set there will be no “problem setups”
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:48 am

Post by BNL »

I just thought of something fun:

Pecking Order4 Mafia
11 Townies

Pregame, the Mafia must make an ordered list called the Pecking Order, which will be public at all times.

The first person in the Pecking Order gets to propose two people to eliminate. Everyone votes to accept or reject. If accepted, those two are eliminated, and there is a Night phase for the Mafia to change the Pecking Order if they wish. Otherwise, the proposer dies, and the next person in the Pecking Order gets the same procedure.

Town want to kill all Mafia, and Mafia want 50% of the votes
GTKAS - BNL

implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 am

Post by implosion »

Popcorn-inspired.
Forkbomb Mafia4 Mafia
13 Townies

You can think of this as an infectious disease or something but it's going to sound funnier if I use this terminology.

Nightless. Really phaseless. There's a singular day.

A random townie is selected to be the initial fork() call; they are considered to be forked, and are publicly revealed. Any given player can be in three states: alive, forked, or dead. If a player is forked, then they may still post and will not have their alignment flip, but are effectively dead for win condition purposes. At any time, any forked player may fork exactly two other players by publicly announcing in thread:

Fork: Player 1, Player 2

(alternatively, in the spirit of EHOBANOHAR, players may use any verb or phrase, not just "Fork", so long as it is unambiguous and bolded)

As soon as they do this, the forking player becomes dead (and their alignment flips). For each of the two players they target, if not yet forked, they become forked; if they were already forked, they become dead (this provides a way for the town to move from the initial evens into odds, as well as a way to stop suspected forked mafia from forking two townies).

There is only one day phase, but it has a short (48 or 72 hour likely) deadline; any time a player forks, this deadline is reset. If the deadline expires, all forked players become dead. If at any point there are no forked players, the mafia must select a new townie to become forked. Note that this prevents mafia from indefinitely stalling the game if all forked players are mafia.

The town wins when all mafia are forked or dead.
The mafia win when at least half of all unforked players are mafia.

Note that even though two players are forked in each Fork statement, they are actually forked one at a time (so if forking the first player would cause the mafia to win, and forking the second player would then reset the game back to where the mafia win condition doesn't apply, the mafia would in fact win). This prevents LYLO from being super easy for town.

Mafia-aligned players may never fork in such a way that they would immediately win. Two examples: (1) If there is 1 alive mafia and 3 alive town, a forked mafia may not fork to two of the alive town, though if desired they could fork one of them and one other already-forked player. (2) If there are 2 alive mafia and 3 alive town, and 1 forked mafia and 2 forked town, the forked mafia could not fork the two already-forked town, as this would cause the "no forked players" clause to take effect and the mafia would get to fork a townie for free and immediately win. If they do attempt such a fork, the moderator will announce that it failed, and that mafia member will die. There should never be any good reason for this to happen.

Pros:
-All the chaos of EHOBANOHAR with all the order of popcorn mafia.
-Multiple people "dying" avoids the problem of large games sometimes being slogs.
-Effective vengescum mechanic means it's nightless-feeling, but mafia aren't powerless.
-Forked townies have the option to act as semi-treestumps or act as vigilantes, and most people will be happy to do one of these.
-Potential for interesting plays by scum getting forked and then acting townish and directing other forks.

Cons:
-I actually have no goddamn clue what numbers this would be balanced for! There are a lot of factors at play; it's pseudo-nightless, but scum get a double-vengescum; if they manage to like, hold these until near the end, and fork like 6 players at once to bring the town to LYLO, it could be strong. But there will be a lot of effective treestumps flying around.
-Pace means that being online when you get forked might be important, especially if you're mafia and want to fork before you're forked a second time; this could be solved by doing something like not allowing anyone to fork within X (12 probably) hours of being forked, but I don't think that's really worth it.
-Delayed flips aren't everyone's thing. But this is heavily mitigated by the fact that the delayed-flip people are still alive and can still post, can flip themselves at any time, and can be flipped by others if they are forked a second time.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:14 am

Post by Jingle »

No Lynching Shenanigans13 VT
4 Goon

Every day there is a single lynch. For every player who dies at night there is an additional lynch. A player may not act on two consecutive nights (including the factional NK.)

Mafia players may all use the factional NK on the same night, if they so desire.

Instead of lynching, players may instead vote to give a power (1 shot Tracker, 1 shot Jailkeeper, 1 shot Vigilante) to a player. This is accomplished by posting VOTE: [Power] to [Player]

Instead of two lynches, players may instead vote to have a power publicly used on a player. This is accomplished by posting VOTE: [Power] on [Player].

Whenever a lynch or power vote is successful, 7 days are added to the deadline unless no lynches remain and any relevant flips are revealed. Vote counts reset when a lynch or power is successfully used.

Not sure on the numbers yet, but I think this has potential.
Last edited by Jingle on Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”