[SETUP]Backwards Mountainous[/SETUP]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

[SETUP]Backwards Mountainous[/SETUP]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 am

Post by popsofctown »

Reverse Mountainous

5 Beautifully tragic near-extinction Human townies (immediately die of despair realizing they the only human left alive)
2 Bulletproof Lover Jester-Mafia Changelings

Jester-Mafia compulsively shoots a target that's not bulletproof.
Town wins when only changelings are alive or nothing can prevent the same.
Mafia wins when only humans are alive or nothing can prevent the same.
Town chance of winning with random lynches is 3/7.

It's still an informed minority against an informed majority.
The core problem of jesters is you punish town for doing what they're supposed to be doing, but that's not really the case here.
The good thing about this concept is maybe rewarding the concept of townslipping and towntells, which at various times is argued by some of the playerbase to be easier to use and a more enjoyable art than direct scumhunting.
The bad thing about this concept is that after each lynch, the player leaving the game is likely one that was helpful and well regarded, so the difficult business of dayplay is even more difficult.
(Third, minor bad thing - that the setup is small yet doesn't carry dayplay through a 3 person LyLo)
I think the bad thing outweighs the good thing so therefore this is worse than frontwards mafia. But I'm not inning into a queue to run this, I'm theorycrafting.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Basically this setup has been run a few times Nightless. (We think the correct numbers are 6:2 when you remove the kills; Nightless shifts the victory condition to the 50% rule, which probably works better here.) I don't think it's ever been flavoured quite like that, though. (You also missed one practical point: when self-voting is good for everyone, the voting mechanics benefit from a minor change; the previous games have banned self-voting except as a hammer.)

See Vote for Town Mafia for information and statistics on the Nightless version.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

Glad to hear it's a playable thing
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”