Elemental Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Elemental Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am

Post by popsofctown »

Spoiler: v1
Vanilla Townies
Mafia Armorsmith
(modified inventor)
Mafia Swordsmith
(modified inventor)

Day 1 there is a usual lynch. Night 1, there is a nightkill. Following the nightkill, the Armorsmith and Swordsmith can and must grant their gifts to other players, three each. A player can have up to one sword and one armor. Mafia can multiact.

The Swordsmith grants:

Sword of Fire
: Target a player to learn if they acted last night.
Sword of Water
: Protect a player from nightkills. You can't protect a player holding a water or fire item this way.
Sword of Wood
: Target a player from the day 1 lynch wagon to learn how many mafia were on that wagon, excluding the targetted player.

The Armorsmith grants:
Armor of Fire
: The Sword of Wood effect can't target you. You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Water has already perished.
Armor of Water
: The Sword of Fire effect can't target you. You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Wood has already perished.
Armor of Wood
: The Sword of Water effect CAN target you, but it cannot stop kills that you perform. You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Fire has already perished.

v2:

I liked it better in my head but I'll still post it.

Flavorwise, the idea is that when someone has an armor, the townspeople can't lynch that person, unless they're able to pick the appropriate sword up off the ground the fashion it into a powerful enough guillotine. And uh, a living townsperson with the sword can't willingly help out with that, cause like, it's welded to their arm or something.

Vanilla Townies
Mafia Armorsmith
(modified inventor)
Mafia Swordsmith
(modified inventor)

Day 1 there is a usual lynch. Night 1, there is a nightkill. Following the nightkill, the Armorsmith and Swordsmith can and must grant their gifts to other players, three each. A player can have up to one sword and one armor. Mafia can multiact.
At the start of Day 2, the moderator posts what each player in the game is wearing or wielding.
The Swordsmith grants:

Sword of Fire
: Target a player to learn if they acted last night.
Sword of Water
: Protect a player from nightkills. You can't protect a player holding a water or fire item this way.
Sword of Wood
: Target a player from the day 1 lynch wagon to learn how many mafia were on that wagon, excluding the targetted player.

The Armorsmith grants:
Armor of Fire
: The Sword of Wood's effect always treats you as town (godfather). You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Water has already perished.
Armor of Water
: The Sword of Fire effect can't target you. You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Wood has already perished.
Armor of Wood
: The Sword of Water effect CAN target you, but it cannot stop kills that you perform. You are immune to lynches unless the player with the Sword of Fire has already perished.
Last edited by popsofctown on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 am

Post by chennisden »

Broken.

D2 you get 6 IC's

Scum can counterclaim but still a free win no matter what.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

You don't get 6 ICs because scum can (and probably will) grant gifts to each other.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

Also it'd be 3 ICs even if I forbade the scum from gifting eachother, optimal strategy would be to pick 3 players to max out their equip slots to avoid creating even more ICs.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:12 am

Post by Kagami »

The Sword of Wood goes to scum, as does the Armor of Water. You kill Sword of Water N2, and Sword of Fire N3. The sword of fire is useless N2 since the water armor wearing scum performs the NK.

Both town swords also get armor, making them ICs while alive.

Back of the envelope EV calculation gives me around 41% town win rate with that strategy, with the vast majority of the town wins coming from a nigh-autowin on a D1 scumlynch or hitting the 1 in 5 scumlynch on D2.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 am

Post by popsofctown »

You have to account for lynching people who received items -because- they received items more often. Scum definitely smash this setup if all item gifting is treated as if it was random, and none of the item gifting was random.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 am

Post by popsofctown »

In such cases I would be surprised if the scum couldn't do better than 59%
"Well, I..."
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:39 am

Post by Kagami »

Scum knows who have the items, so town would be foolish not to immediately massclaim them D2.

Scum can claim truthfully if they do something wacky (like giving 5/6 items to town), but I seriously doubt the EV on that is better than the strategy outlined above. They probably just claim to have not received anything, which leads to two missing items, meaning everyone who received an item is confirmed town. Thus you give weapon and armor two townies to minize the number of ICs (armor is useless to town anyway).

Even if it were a balanced setup, the above strategy renders the design mostly irrelevant, so it probably suggests that a redesign is in order. You also probably don't want town to just automagically win if they lynch scum day 1, which is what happens currently.

Maybe you can keep the theme but change it so that scum factionally decide all the roles on N1 (including ones that interact in an elementally way), and all the roles have both scum and town utility. Assume a massclaim in which scum must truthfully claim (or make there be more items than living players N1, so that scum have fakeclaim room).
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

I didn't think things out right in how the massclaim would go, my concept and balance for the setup is based on everyone being aware of who got which item. I didn't really realize how scum can just not claim the items they are wearing and you can't actually narrow it down and pin them for it. In my mind I assumed scum would be forced to claim truthfully somehow but you're right that they don't need to.

I only didn't write "the mod reveals who is holding which items" because I thought it was superfluous. If it's not superfluous yeah I definitely want that, this setup definitely needs accountability for how the items are gifted.
"Well, I..."
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 am

Post by Kagami »

Ok, then let's assume the mod reveals all gifting.

I think the gifting needs to happen N0, maybe with 2-7 rather than 2-9. As it stands, scum almost automatically loses if one is lynched day 1, which doesn't seem like good design.

From there it's probably fine? Wood sword seems very swingy to me, though.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am

Post by Kagami »

N0 gifting also stimulates immediate alignment relevant discussion.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm not usually a caps lock and bolded /in to N0 choice games but I have to admit that going to N0 choices fits this setup concept like a glove. Should be a really low risk of an Endless Eight RVS phase.
"Well, I..."
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 am

Post by Kagami »

Also recommend changing fire armor to Wood Sword Godfather (regardless of the sword's target).
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 12, Kagami wrote:Also recommend changing fire armor to Wood Sword Godfather (regardless of the sword's target).
Oh, that's a smart change, I like that.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”