[SETUP] Oh my gosh those freaking thieving JANITORS

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

[SETUP] Oh my gosh those freaking thieving JANITORS

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:31 am

Post by James Brafin »

The concept of this semi-open setup is that scum is trying to get some decent power roles in day and night one, by killing town power roles. Because of this unique mechanic, the order of action at night is as follows:
Commuter triggers.
Jailkeeper triggers.
One-shots activate, use their abilities and become VT.
Doctor and Babysitter trigger simultaneously.
Follower and Cop trigger.
Borrower triggers.
Vanilizer triggers.
Mafia triggers and steals the power roles of their target if applicable.

Some special cases:
The mafia only get the vengeful on a night kill. Basically I’m treating it like a variant of the 1-shot, where the vengeful occurs, the user becomes Vanilla, and then dies.
Scum cannot steal Neighbor, for obvious reasons. However, they can be the target of the neighborizer.

Scum
Town Rolestealer Janitor x2

Town (Random x8)
Doctor
Follower
Vengeful Townie
1-shot Governor
Hated Townie
Follower
Odd-night Commuter
Jailkeeper
Borrower (Absorber, but only gets 1 shot for each absorption)
1-shot neighborizer
1-shot Vig
Macho Babysitter
1-shot Strengthener
1-shot Deflector
Macho Cop
Loyal 1-shot vanillizer

Quick edit: any other ideas for PRs are welcome as well. I mainly need pro-town, anti-scum ones atm, but I will take all suggestions.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:51 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I take it this is an 8:2 where the town roles are randomized from a large pool? I'm also assuming (because the balance would be insane otherwise) that this is Night Start? I agree that it needs to be a
very
large pool to reduce the risk of breakage by massclaim (only one of the scum will have absorbed a role by D1). That said, some of the roles listed are far too powerful in a vanillaless 8:2 (e.g. a Jailkeeper can balance a 7:2 Day Start by itself, and probably works better in a Night Start game), and scum isn't necessarily going to end up with good roles to balance (they'd love roles like Vengeful, but are more likely to get investigatives that don't really help them).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:08 am

Post by James Brafin »

I was thinking Daystart, but nightstart would be better I agree. The point was for scum had to figure out who were the power roles that they wanted while also staying under cover.
The one shots are also the most powerful stuff scum can get. It may help to give Deflector and Strengthener permanent abilities for scum what other roles do you think are too powerful? My thought was that in role madness, even though you block a power role every time, the chances are you are hindering town with your block. Would be better as a novice or one-shot?
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Roles like 1-shot vig can't possibly be taken by scum; with a mechanic like this one, town will be using them immediately to keep them out of scum hands.

One thing you have to be careful with in role madness is that town can't simply agree to ignore most of the roles and play it as vanilla. 7:2 vanilla day start isn't
balanced
, but it's also far from impossible for town; it's been won several times in the past. That makes it reasonable for town to just concentrate on the more important roles and not worry about blocking anything weaker.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”