[SETUP] Nobility and The Dark Angel

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

[SETUP] Nobility and The Dark Angel

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am

Post by TemporalLich »

A spinoff setup of Dragon Capturer, uses extra vote on top of protect. An extra townie is added to counter the unintentional evens the "extra person" added by the doublevoter the town votes for induces.

Hopefully the Dark Angel gives off the "wanting to be hidden yet powerful" flavor here.

Nobility and The Dark Angel
12 players

1 Dark Angel

2 Mafia Goons

9 Vanilla Townies

In addition to voting for eliminations, the Town may also vote to elect a noble for the next day. Noble election is by plurality vote and is decided when the elimination is decided.

An elected noble is announced to have an extra elimination vote, and counts as two people for elimination majority. If the Dark Angel is ever an elected noble, the game instantly ends in a Town win, with the Mafia and Dark Angel losing.

A Noble election vote can either use bold e.g.
ELECT: TemporalLich
or or heal tags e.g. HEAL: TemporalLich

You can't vote to eliminate and elect the same player. Voting No Noble is allowed.

There is no Noble vote during ELo. (2 townies and 1 mafioso are alive, or 3 townies and 2 mafiosi are alive. This is regardless of whether the Dark Angel is alive or not.)

In addition to the factional nightkill, the Mafia may attempt to appoint a hidden noble. The mafia may multitask.

A hidden noble has an extra elimination vote. They count as one person for elimination majority. A hidden noble knows they are a hidden noble, but hidden nobility is not public.

The Mafia may not kill the noble that has been elected the previous day.

If the Mafia appoints the Dark Angel as a hidden noble, the Dark Angel exits the game in a loss and the Mafia gets a 1-shot daykill to be used in the Mafia PT.

The Dark Angel instantly loses if they become a noble. The Dark Angel wins if the game ends before this happens or the Dark Angel dies.

Mafia win when they outnumber Town or equal Town.

Town win when the Mafia are dead or the Dark Angel becomes an elected noble.

Mafia may privately communicate at any time.
v1.1 changes:

Clarified nobility lasts for one day.

Made the noble election also a protect to prevent the Mafia from just killing the elected noble.

v1.2 changes:

Replaced hidden nobility with capturing. This has no effects on anyone other than the Dark Angel.

v1.3 changes:

Brought back hidden nobility.

There is no noble vote during ELo.

Made it clearer electing the Dark Angel as a noble instantly ends the game with Town winning.
Last edited by TemporalLich on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
time will end
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

/pre in
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Added protect back since otherwise you'd just NK the elected noble as scum
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm not sure if the numbers are right, the doublevote power might townside things
time will end
geometry
geometry
Goon
geometry
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:12 am

Post by geometry »

The dark angel is like a jester unjester and that doesn't sound fun for the dark angel.
I signed up to play
MAFIA
, not so you could roll me town again.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:19 am

Post by Jingle »

Why would town ever elect a noble?

Edit: Ah. Public Doctor. Still probs not worth it in the absence of super-obv-town D1. Breaking strat: No noble D1. Noble whoever the mafia noble-ize D2 assuming it's compulsory. Everyone who is hidden nobled immediately becomes conftown, so every day after that you noble within that pool.
Last edited by Jingle on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:20 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 4, geometry wrote:The dark angel is like a jester unjester and that doesn't sound fun for the dark angel.
Named townie/survivor more like.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 5, Jingle wrote:Why would town ever elect a noble?

Edit: Ah. Public Doctor. Still probs not worth it in the absence of super-obv-town D1. Breaking strat: No noble D1. Noble whoever the mafia noble-ize D2 assuming it's compulsory. Everyone who is hidden nobled immediately becomes conftown, so every day after that you noble within that pool.
Yeah. That sounds busted.

Hidden noble elections are not compulsive, but what's effectively a factional alignment cop that also makes a townie a doublevoter is way too risky for the Mafia to ever use unless they're sure someone is the Dark Angel.

Easiest way of fixing this is taking the factional Capture mechanic from Dragon Capturer and using that instead (pretty much guess who the Dark Angel is, you can't nightkill the person you are capturing).
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:06 am

Post by TemporalLich »

v1.2 has the Mafia capture instead.

Other Mafia factional actions I'm considering before pushing this setup to review are:

Capture, but capturing the Dark Angel is an immediate Mafia win

The "bastard" version of a hidden noble, where hidden nobles are not self-aware (I may consider compulsive Noble elections with this!)
time will end
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:35 am

Post by Jingle »

Seems pretty scumsided, tbh.

You've got what is functionally 10v2 in the best case scenario for town. Mountainous is supposedly balanced at 11v2.

In the worst case scenario, scum gets voted to be doublevoter on the final day, and either gets an additional kill or a free lynch.

Doublevote is Scum>>>Town, and you don't have a guarantee that it's in town hands, so that mechanic adds no power for town, except potentially a hail mary shot for LYLO. (Which works just as well as a hail mary shot for scum in 5p LYLO. Scum can, if one of the two of them gets voted, double noble vote the partner and then self hammer to lead to a 3 way where they can instahammer no lynch while Noble voting themselves, meaning the game becomes "Who can post first?")

I'd suggest adding some form of investigation to the game. Compulsive original hidden Nobles ensure there's always an IC doublevoter (which I think is the goal there) but it's not an IC that scum have no control over. Specifying that doublevote turns off in LYLO might also make the game more enjoyable.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:06 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm not sure how a form of investigative (I'd prefer a Cop [mafia/not mafia] to a Bloodhound [town/not town], and a Bloodhound to a Alignment Cop [town/mafia/dark angel]) would fit into the setup without it being "just make this a theme game"

Mafia's capture is still a factional alignment cop, since it allows the Mafia to discern between town and dark angel (and can't be used on mafia)
In post 9, Jingle wrote:Doublevote is Scum>>>Town, and you don't have a guarantee that it's in town hands, so that mechanic adds no power for town, except potentially a hail mary shot for LYLO. (Which works just as well as a hail mary shot for scum in 5p LYLO. Scum can, if one of the two of them gets voted, double noble vote the partner and then self hammer to lead to a 3 way where they can instahammer no lynch while Noble voting themselves, meaning the game becomes "Who can post first?")
I had the assumption elected nobles were good for Town EV (considering it can result to instant town wins, and there's more town than scum).

Yeah, noble voting would either need to be disabled or symbolic (no doublevote, but town still wins if the Dark Angel is a symbolic noble) in LYLO, that endgame seems very degenerate. (this depends on which one gives the Dark Angel more balanced EV tbh, disabling noble votes during LYLO helps the Dark Angel EV slightly)

Not sure how I'd write that, right now thinking "You can't elect a noble during LYLO." Hopefully this accounts for LYLOs involving Dark Angels.
In post 9, Jingle wrote:I'd suggest adding some form of investigation to the game. Compulsive original hidden Nobles ensure there's always an IC doublevoter (which I think is the goal there) but it's not an IC that scum have no control over. Specifying that doublevote turns off in LYLO might also make the game more enjoyable.
Didn't you say that self-aware hidden nobles are broken in favor of town and the Dark Angel (the town nobles the ICs, which avoids the Dark Angel from being a target of noble elections)?
time will end
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:24 am

Post by Jingle »

I missed the DA becoming a noble ending in a town win.

I also meant breaking strategy in the sense that it would be far more likely to result in a town win than any other strategy. Note: Matrix6 has a breaking strategy and is still a fairly balanced setup.

Actually, discounting weird LYLOs, the original situation is probably ~balanced. Dark Angel never wants to be towny, and there's the whole antisynergy of "You probably want to lynch the previous doublevoter everyday" to deal with.

I also don't see why scum would ever kill the doublevoter.

tl;dr: you can probably ignore all of my previous posts safely, although the antisynergy of giving an objectively scummy slot an extra vote is pretty weird.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I'll go push v1.3 (with self-aware hidden nobles and no noble voting in LYLO) to review if there are no objections.
time will end

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”