[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Post by singletonking »

See [JUNE CHALLENGE] for last month's thread.

July Challenge
Create a new open setup.

Must contain at least one of the following:
  • All players are neighbours
  • A nonstandard cycle (anything other than normal Day/Night cycles or Nightless)
  • Powers, i.e. an optional limited shot ability that can voted on to be used by the town on any Day phase while shots remain.

Spoiler: Clarifications
  • All players are neighbours:
    Not necessarily all with each other, but with some player at some point of the game. It doesn't have to be necessarily at the start, but all players should be likely guaranteed to be a neighbour at some point in the game.
  • A nonstandard cycle:
    Examples would be irregular cycles (e.g. Double Day), or adding new phases to the cycle (e.g. doing something meaningful in Twilight, or adding a Dawn phase)
  • Powers:
    Unlike Gameshow Mafia, the game doesn't need to have many powers or even revolve around using powers (and it's best not to because it'll probably be hard to gauge balance). Something as simple as mountainous with a 1-shot Coalition would qualify.

Submit your setups as posts in this thread. You may re-submit and/or edit until July 31st, at which point we'll vote.

Winner will be in charge of the requirements for next month's challenge!
On indefinite hiatus from playing Mafia.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Post by chennisden »

Pick A Neighbor

(a 13 player setup)

Mostly mountainous, with one fun powerup!

During
any day,
you may vote to give the
Pass-it-On-Neighborizer
power to someone.
Make sure that the scum don't get it!

If you are the
Pass-it-on-Neightborizer,
you target someone during the night and you give them your power. They become your neighbor for the following
day-phase
ONLY. If you are killed, the power still passes to the other person. They just don't get a neighborhood. If your target is killed, you keep your power, but you don't get a neighborhood.
Last edited by chennisden on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Post by chennisden »

probs rly townsided but who cares! it is great fun!

also i tried this time (which is why i made the power role be a vote which is objectively better)

does it satisfy the 3rd requirement?
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Post by singletonking »

In post 2, chennisden wrote:probs rly townsided but who cares! it is great fun!

also i tried this time (which is why i made the power role be a vote which is objectively better)

does it satisfy the 3rd requirement?
No, it doesn't because voting for the neighbourizer must be done on D0.

It doesn't satisfy the first requirement either because not everyone will be a neighbour: Some will die early, and the game will end before all living players get to be neighbours.
On indefinite hiatus from playing Mafia.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:40 am

Post by chennisden »

argh ANY DAY PHASE

ok ez

You CAN do it on D0

And any other day as well
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 am

Post by chennisden »

I also didn't try to satisfy req 1, the req just gave me the idea (and since conf towning a slot is bad i just did shenanigans)
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Council Infiltration
17 Councillors:
Councillors of the East
Councillors of the South
Councillors of the West
Councillors of the North

3 Infiltrators(of the East, South, West or North)

There is an equal number of Councillors for each direction.
Phases:
(Only at the start of the game)
Infiltration

Twilight 2

Night

Twilight 1

Morning

Noon

Afternoon

City: The city has - apart from the gates to the outside - one gate from each district(North South West East) to an adjacent district as well to the center.
The gates are: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, North, West, South, East.

Setup phase:
Infiltration

The 3 collaborators are selected. Every collaborator picks a direction. Until all members have picked or until time expires the Infiltrators may freely cooperate and talk. Then that mafia chat is closed forever.

Twilight 2
Flips and deaths are announced. Voting phase. All neighborhoods are open(except mafia chat).

Night
Killing phase. All non-infiltrator neighborhoods are closed. The actions of the Head of the Council take effect(Not Night 1, though) if they weren't lynched. Members of the Infiltrators meet in the Center, or, if they can't, according to their neighborhoods. The Head of the Council will have closed off 4 doors. If the center gates of their direction are closed, the infiltrator members talk amongst themselves(e.g. North is closed, 2 North Infiltrators will partipiciate in the North Infiltrators Chat)
The members of the Infiltrators meeting in the Center see all open and closed Center gates, but not their exact strength.
The infiltrators decide(in their chats) on how to proceed. Every mafia outlines their plan on how to use the gates to reach their target(Obviously, the option to kill someone in their own district is always avaliable). If the head of the Council is a member of the Mafia, then they can freely go through all gates, closed or not.
Two or more mafia may also collaborate to circumvent the gate security of the gates; they must also pick who is left behind in an order. The following happens:
-Infiltrator or Infiltrator group does not encounter a closed gate ->kills
-Infiltrator or Infiltrator group encounters a gate with a defender ratio equal to the mafia who are travelling the same route, or higher than the mafia travelling the same route but with insufficient collaborators -> they fail to kill. In this instance,
it will be announced that someone tried to use this gate from the direction they came from

-An infiltrator group encounters a gate while collaborating and there are more mafia than gate defenders->As many members as the security is in strength are left behind(and assist the other members to sneak back in) the others proceed.
The gate will report a breach, but not the direction.

-Mafia encounters a gate with higher security -> In the order the people were to be left behind(the first person to be left behind being the first to die) the infiltrators die for each excess security(e.g. 2 try to breach a 4 defense gate -> both die)

Multiple closed gates may be triggered in order.

Of course, no gates are closed to a member of the Mafia if one of them is the head of the Council, and they can always kill in their own neighborhood...

Twilight 1
:Flips and deaths are announced. Gate reports are released. The protected gates are publicized, including strength. Voting phase. All neighborhoods are open(except Mafia chat).

Morning
: The Councillors meet in their respective Neighborhoods. By secret vote, they select a Head of the Council... or an Emergency Vote(if no previous attempt succeeded). Any member of the Mafia can attempt to kill the rest of the town in their neighborhoods. If there is one mafia and one town remaining, or if there is a majority of Mafia, it succeeds. If there are equal numbers greater than 1, guards will step in and stop the fight. If there is a majority of Town, then the Mafia die. No one who dies during this phase flips.
Noon
: Voting results are announced(including who recieved how much votes). Death(not flips) are announced. In event of a tie, North Councillors have precedence to become the new Head of the Council. Then, the incumbent has precedence. Otherwise, it is decided randomly. If there was a successful(majority) vote for Emergency Vote, then this is a voting phase.
This can only be successfully used once in the game
. The Councillor selects the defense of the city - they pick 4 gates to secure. They may pick gates more than once(to secure the places). All neighborhoods are closed.
Note: If the incumbent is still alive during an emergency vote then they will continue to have access to their powers when an emergency vote is called instead.
Afternoon
: The Councillors meet in their respective Neighborhoods. Any member of the Mafia can attempt to kill the rest of the town in their neighborhoods. If there is one mafia and one town remaining, or if there is a majority of Mafia, it succeeds. If there are equal numbers greater than 1, guards will step in and stop the fight. If there is a majority of Town, then the Mafia die. No one who dies during this phase flips.

The game ends when the Infiltrators gain Majority or nothing can stop this from happening... or when they are all dead. The game also ends when the Infiltrators fail to kill three nights and days in a row or nothing except inactivity can stop this from happening(e.g. at twilight 1 only the following remain: 1 Head of the Council(East) vs 1 Infiltrator(South);1 Head of the Council Infiltrator(West) vs 1 Councillor of the North).
Last edited by Not Known 15 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

(Although my submission fits two of the three criteria I am very well aware that I need to fulfill only one)
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

One Day Ultimate Conspiracy

One neighborhood consisting of 3 VTs

One neighborhood consisting of 1 VT and 2 Mafia

Neighborhood membership is public.
There is no lynch mechanic. Players discuss the game in the neighborhood and game thread, and at any time a player may post selfvote in the game thread. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that includes mafia, the town wins. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that does not include mafia, the mafia wins.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:55 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Open Box of Silver9p,
v

During the day phase, scum must split all players into 2-person neighborhoods without overlap. These neighborhoods take effect during the night, and only last one night. Scum also have continuous scumchat, but scumchat is not considered a neighborhood.
Scum
must
also choose one neighborhood to give a Watcher action to.
Scum
may
also choose one
other
neighborhood to give a Jailkeep action to. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood with two scum in it, they must also give out the Jailkeep action that night. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood that has one scum in it for the second or third night in a row, they must also give out the jailkeep action that night.

Within each neighborhood that has a night action, both members must choose a target for the night action. The two neighbors may choose the same or different targets. At the end of the night phase, mod will randomly choose one of the neighbors to enact that night action on their chosen target.

On Day 4, the game becomes nightless.

Let's see if this can become an open :P :D
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I recognize that the D1 lynch is technically never a neighbor, but it still feels in the spirit of the rule. STK let me know if this doesn't fit what you had in mind
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

Technically half day/night cycle half nightless is a nonstandard cycle so you get it that way.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:09 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 8, popsofctown wrote:

There is no lynch mechanic. Players discuss the game in the neighborhood and game thread, and at any time a player may post selfvote in the game thread. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that includes mafia, the town wins. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that does not include mafia, the mafia wins.
I'd say this is not mafia. I don't see why this could be fun either. And it is... not really balanced, too? It has an EV of just 25%...
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm definitely replacing it later. It was just fun.

The EV is 50% if you leash the mechanic but uh, if the mechanic is leashed that kinda proves the setup is bad lol.
"Well, I..."
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 am

Post by Ircher »

Surviving Ropes and Guns

13p setup: 9 Town, 3 Mafia, 1 Neutral Survivor

This game is night start, but there is no kill n0. During night zero, the survivor must choose how many lynches the town gets the following day (think like Double Day). After n0 ends, the town gets to play through that many days. Then, the game enters an equivalent number of nights. At the end of the last night, the neutral survivor (if still alive) gets to choose how many lynches town gets like on night 0. This process continues until the town or mafia have won. If at any point, the survivor is dead, the game goes back to a normal day/night cycle.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 14, Ircher wrote:
Surviving Ropes and Guns

13p setup: 9 Town, 3 Mafia, 1 Neutral Survivor

This game is night start, but there is no kill n0. During night zero, the survivor must choose how many lynches the town gets the following day (think like Double Day). After n0 ends, the town gets to play through that many days. Then, the game enters an equivalent number of nights. At the end of the last night, the neutral survivor (if still alive) gets to choose how many lynches town gets like on night 0. This process continues until the town or mafia have won. If at any point, the survivor is dead, the game goes back to a normal day/night cycle.
Hmmmm...
Day 1 mod announcement:
The survivor has chosen 1000000000000000000000 lynches.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 am

Post by Ircher »

Well the way I see it is that if the survivor believes they can survive the rope easier, they'll choose more lynches, and if they can survive the kill better, they'll choose fewer lynches.

So someone like RadiantCowbells would likely choose 10 lynches.
Whereas I would choose 1 lynch.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:31 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 16, Ircher wrote:Well the way I see it is that if the survivor believes they can survive the rope easier, they'll choose more lynches, and if they can survive the kill better, they'll choose fewer lynches.

So someone like RadiantCowbells would likely choose 10 lynches.
Whereas I would choose 1 lynch.
Hm. What happens if the Survivor claims?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:33 am

Post by Ircher »

I'd imagine they'd get automatically shot as this mechanic balances out in town's favor.

Maybe I should set a limit on the number of consecutive lynches. 3 sounds like a good limit.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 18, Ircher wrote:I'd imagine they'd get automatically shot as this mechanic balances out in town's favor.

Maybe I should set a limit on the number of consecutive lynches. 3 sounds like a good limit.
One other problem I have with this setup that for reasons outside of town's reach this can lead to the Survivor picking 1 lynch, essentially making this a 9:4 Mountainous.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Here's a setup with a power I guess:

Soul Gem Mafia
9 players

2 Mafia Goons

7 Vanilla Townies

In addition to voting for lynches as normal, players can additionally vote to use the 1-shot Soultrap power by posting VOTE: Soultrap. Unvoting Soultrap is possible with UNVOTE: Soultrap, unvoting the player you're voting to lynch is still possible with UNVOTE: .

A majority vote on Soultrap resets the votecount, and replaces the lynch that day with a Soultrap vote. Soultrapping a player causes them to die, except they can still communicate in private topics and
must
add 2 other players, alive or dead, to their soul gem PT during twilight or daybreak.

Dead players may communicate in soul gem PTs.

The Mafia have a factional kill unless the Soultrap power was used during the Day of the current cycle. If the Soultrap power is used, the Mafia instead have a factional Soultrap the Night of the current cycle.

You may communicate in all PTs at any time.
time will end
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 20, TemporalLich wrote:Here's a setup with a power I guess:

Soul Gem Mafia
9 players

2 Mafia Goons

7 Vanilla Townies

In addition to voting for lynches as normal, players can additionally vote to use the 1-shot Soultrap power by posting VOTE: Soultrap. Unvoting Soultrap is possible with UNVOTE: Soultrap, unvoting the player you're voting to lynch is still possible with UNVOTE: .

A majority vote on Soultrap resets the votecount, and replaces the lynch that day with a Soultrap vote. Soultrapping a player causes them to die, except they can still communicate in private topics and
must
add 2 other players, alive or dead, to their soul gem PT during twilight or daybreak.

Dead players may communicate in soul gem PTs.

The Mafia have a factional kill unless the Soultrap power was used during the Day of the current cycle. If the Soultrap power is used, the Mafia instead have a factional Soultrap the Night of the current cycle.

You may communicate in all PTs at any time.
EV of Mountainous 7:2 is roughly 30% for town. That's a steep hill to climb.
Plus, using Soultrap Day 1 is almost always the correct option I believe.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 12, Not Known 15 wrote:
In post 8, popsofctown wrote:

I'd say this is not mafia. I don't see why this could be fun either. And it is... not really balanced, too? It has an EV of just 25%...
It really got me thinking, though. It seems more interesting than regular Conspiracy?

I think it probably is Mafia; there is a relevant associative tell, it's just a different one from usual. (Scum care strongly about keeping
their entire neighbourhood
alive, town potentially consider their neighbourhood to be the scummy one and thus will be scumhunting within their own neighbourhood.)

EV is 50% if provable randomness is available, and possibly even without it. That said, I have a suspicion that the numbers are wrong.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 17, Not Known 15 wrote:Hm. What happens if the Survivor claims?
Breaking strategy: Survivor picks 1 on Night 0 (purely to allow them to post in thread). If anyone other than the Survivor gets lynched (likely), Survivor claims and promises to pick 0 on every night from then on if scum leave them alive. Scum have no reason to break this strategy, leading to a joint Survivor+Scum victory.

(Side note: I think this is the first time I've broken a setup for a third-party?)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Post by Ircher »

I don't think that's a breaking strategy?

If the survivor picks zero, that means there is no lynch phase AND there is no night phase. Therefore, 0 is pretty much an invalid choice.

If you meant to write one, well in that case, town has a lot of incentive to lynch the survivor the following day, so that does not work in the survivor's favor either.

Edit: Maybe the game should degenerate into Double Day instead of Mountainous?

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”