[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 96, chennisden wrote:
In post 90, popsofctown wrote:
String of Disappearances Mafia

8 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons

On Day One, the town may give up to one player Night 1 Bulletproof. There isn't a lynch day 1.
Night One, the mafia can neither no-kill nor target the bulletproof player.
On the verge of the nightkill victim's death, that mod has that player investigate another player, then vig another player (this can be compressed into one PM with an if X then Y statement).
If the vig victim is mafia aligned, this is over, but if the vig victim is town-aligned, this chain repeats indefinitely.
Sucks to be the nightkill victim

Also what happens after

Like, doesn't this guarantee a mafia dies

Does the vig victim die
Well normally the nightkill victim dies with no further input regarding the game. So compared to like a newbie setup this setup makes being nightkilled N1 suck slightly less.

This setup does guarantee that a mafia dies.

All the vig victims die, which means they are unable to report the cop investigate.
Although I guess this does have d1 mass hypoclaim
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Post by popsofctown »

You only get one confirmed innocent off the hypoclaims I think. Which is not too many for scum to NK later so inconsequential. But I think people prefer when they don't have to bother hypoclaiming during L-1
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 101, popsofctown wrote:You only get one confirmed innocent off the hypoclaims I think. Which is not too many for scum to NK later so inconsequential. But I think people prefer when they don't have to bother hypoclaiming during L-1
Everyone investigates in a chain, except BP is ignored(2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-2). Vig targets are not claimed, and based on scumreads.
Night 1:
1 is Bulletproof and town 2 is Mafia. 4 is Mafia. 3,5,6,7,8,9,10 are town.
Now Mafia has two options:
-kill 10 or 3 and get vengekilled ASAP.
Result:
7vs 1!
-kill someone else. In this case the following can happen:

5 is killed. They invest 6. Then they vig 9. 9 invests 10, then vigs 7. 7 invests 8 and vigs 3. 3 invests 4 and vigs 4.
Result: Of 8 town 4 are dead, as is one mafia.
4 town
1 mafia.
Of these, 6, 10, and 8 are conftown.
Game over!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

Good break.
I rescind String of Disappearances mafia in favor of Split Push mafia for now.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

Descent into Madness Mafia

9 Town Mad Scientists

2 Scum Mad Scientists

Collective Town Power : Savage Mutation

The mafia factional nightkill is compulsive.
Each day starts with players only allowed to post naked votes regarding the Savage Mutation power (this restriction includes factional PTs). If "Don't Mutate" receives a majority or 2 real days pass, the power is saved, perhaps to be used on another day. If "Mutate: Playername" receives a majority, that player becomes a
3-nights-to-go-poisoned, unlynchable, bulletproof, voteless third party savage mutant with a 3-shot factional nightkill
. That player loses all posting privileges, even voting, for the rest of the game. If that player was previously town, that player's win condition becomes
"Fennecbeast: You win the game and leave the game when you kill a member of the mafia."
If that player was previously mafia, that player's win condition becomes
"Sharktobeast:You win the game and leave the game just before shooting when you target the same player at night that the mafia targetted"

The Savage Mutation power becomes unavailable after it has been used once, or after a Scum Mad Scientist is lynched.
After the decision regarding the power, players can post opinions that may persuade the up-to-one savage mutant in the mutant's silence, but more importantly posts opinions about a standard majority lynch.
After a
Sharktobeast
win, the remaining shots are fired at townies at random over the remainder of the nights.
"Well, I..."
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Post by Skygazer »

divide and conquer
7 Townies

2 Goons

Mechanics:

Daytalk
During a brief pre-game period, the scum team must divide the nine players into two groups of six players and three players.
Both groups will be announced in thread and become neighborhoods.
Both groups must contain at least one scum.

Expected ValuesThe most optimal strat (town focuses on the 2:1 pool and scum always kills within the larger pool) I've found so far has a ~45% town win-rate.
There's a potential for a D1 auto-win if scum in lynched from the 5:1 pool on D1, but overall lynching within the 5:1 pool first has around a ~40% town win-rate. Additionally, scum get to choose the players in each grouping, meaning they can stick their best player in there, as well as potential lynchbait.
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Post by chennisden »

oooh fun
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

Post by mith »

Take Two

4 Mafia
9 Townies

Each Day, the Town votes to lynch two players. Town win on any day by lynching a pair of Mafia. Otherwise, alignments are not immediately [edit]or ever[/edit] revealed. Instead, at Night, the Mafia chooses two players to kill, with the restriction that exactly 1 of the 4 lynched/killed players is Mafia.

After Day 3, there is no Night. Instead, if the Town has failed to lynch even a single Mafia out of the six players chosen, scum win immediately.
Otherwise, the game resets to Day 1 and all players are again alive.
If after the second Day 3 town has not won by lynching a pair of Mafia, scum win.

With completely random choices both days, EV is 40.63%. However, about 70% of games will get to the second cycle, and town will do a bit better than random in these games by taking into account the information from the first cycle. For example, the probability of a first cycle Day 1 win is 1/13, but on the second cycle Day 1 town knows that 2 of the last 5 players were Mafia and one of those pairs is already ruled out so they can win 1/9 by picking another pair from that group. I suspect the true EV is pretty close to 50%, maybe eventually I'll work out all the details.

(This is an open/vanilla version of a Tragedy Looper or Majora's Mask game which has been bouncing around in my head for a while.)
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:00 am

Post by chennisden »

Wouldn't that mean having 2 mafia flip make town auto win
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:01 am

Post by chennisden »

So

D1/N1 Person A flips mafia
D2/N2 Person B flips mafia

reset

Then lynch A/B???
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:05 am

Post by mith »

No one flips. Town only knows that 1 of the 4 is Mafia. (edited for clarity)
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am

Post by chennisden »

oh, i see
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am

Post by Oversoul »

In post 107, mith wrote:
Take Two

4 Mafia
9 Townies

Each Day, the Town votes to lynch two players. Town win on any day by lynching a pair of Mafia. Otherwise, alignments are not immediately [edit]or ever[/edit] revealed. Instead, at Night, the Mafia chooses two players to kill, with the restriction that exactly 1 of the 4 lynched/killed players is Mafia.

After Day 3, there is no Night. Instead, if the Town has failed to lynch even a single Mafia out of the six players chosen, scum win immediately.
If after the second Day 3 town has not won by lynching a pair of Mafia, scum win.

With completely random choices both days, EV is 40.63%. However, about 70% of games will get to the second cycle, and town will do a bit better than random in these games by taking into account the information from the first cycle. For example, the probability of a first cycle Day 1 win is 1/13, but on the second cycle Day 1 town knows that 2 of the last 5 players were Mafia and one of those pairs is already ruled out so they can win 1/9 by picking another pair from that group. I suspect the true EV is pretty close to 50%, maybe eventually I'll work out all the details.

(This is an open/vanilla version of a Tragedy Looper or Majora's Mask game which has been bouncing around in my head for a while.)
This sounds like a fun game!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

I also wanted to make a Majora's mask game but couldn't get it to work. I thought about Majora's mask Midway through the post. It looks like a really neat setup!
I don't go for colored flag setups as a personal preference though
"Well, I..."
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:00 am

Post by singletonking »

In post 107, mith wrote:
Take Two

4 Mafia
9 Townies

I really like this!

Initially I was thinking how it fit my criteria, and I realised it involved dead players in a way that I didn't imagine, but it definitely counts!
On indefinite hiatus from playing Mafia.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:48 am

Post by mith »

I wouldn't really consider this a flag setup... I guess I can see the similarity, but I don't think it would feel at all the same to play.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:18 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Council Infiltration version 3
17 Councillors:
Councillors of the East
Councillors of the South
Councillors of the West
Councillors of the North

3 Infiltrators(of the East, South, West or North)

There is an equal number of Councillors + Infiltrators for each direction.
Phases:
Infiltration
->
Twilight 2
->
Night
->
Twilight 1
->
Morning
->
Noon
->
Afternoon
->
Twilight 2
->...

City: The city has - apart from the gates to the outside - one gate from each district(North South West East) to an adjacent district as well to the center.
The gates are: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, North, West, South, East.

At the start of the game, the infiltrators get a Infiltrator role pm and then decide their district. Multiple Infiltrators in the same district get a District Infiltrator PT. Then the rest is randomized.

The game now really starts for everyone in Twilight 2 of Day 1, the (normally) second voting phase of the day.
After the lynch the game descends into Night. The Infiltrators meet at the Center PT, if their gate isn't blocked. The Center PT is the regular Infiltrator PT and informs the mafia about all closed and open center gates. Every Infiltrator selects a player to kill, and a path to take through the gates. If any gate in that path is closed, then 1 infiltrator is left behind for every point of gate strength(if two or more Infiltrators take the same path; in this case, the infiltrator(s) left behind also count for the way back). If there is excess gate strength left, one Infiltrator dies for every point of gate strength in excess. In Night 1, the gates are open.
The new day begins with Twilight 1, the first voting phase of the day. The blocked gates report if there was suspicious activity around them(not including center gates blocking access to the Center PT), gate distribution reports are released and the nightkilled players flip.
The next phase is Morning. People now vote for the Head of the Council(HoC) or an emergency vote, via secret ballot(PM). Infiltrators that are part of a neighborhood may start an attack. If they outnumber town, all town die. If town outnumbers them, they die. If it's a 1v1 the priority for deaths is normal town>scum>Head of the Council. All other ties cause everyone in that neighborhood to die. These dead people do NOT flip.
The next phase is Noon. The results of the ballot are released:
-Majority for emergency vote: The main thread is unlocked and there is an additional vote. This can only happen once in the entire game.
-Majority for a HoC: The person is elected.
-Tie:Tied Councillors of the North are elected. If there is still a tie, a tied incumbent is elected. If there is still a tie, a tied person is selected randomly.

The next phase is Afternoon. Again, Infiltrators can attack in their neighborhoods in the same way as in the morning. The Head of the Council selects 3 or 4 gates to reinforce and close. If they selected 4 different gates, then only 3 can be selected the next day(in total!). They may select a gate more than once, but must select at least one center gate. The Head of the Council can freely pass through these gates at night, and every infiltrator who travels with them(including the initial movement to the Center PT) may pass through, too.

The game ends when the Infiltrators gain Majority or nothing can stop this from happening... or when they are all dead. The game also ends when the Infiltrators fail to kill three nights and days in a row or nothing except inactivity can stop this from happening(e.g. at twilight 1 only the following remain: 1 Head of the Council(East) vs 1 Infiltrator(South);1 Head of the Council Infiltrator(West) vs 1 Councillor of the North).
PhaseInfiltration Phase PTCenter PTDistrict Infiltrator PTDistrict PT's(Neighborhoods)Main Thread
InfiltrationOpenNonexistantNonexistantNonexistantClosed
Twilight 2ClosedClosedOpenOpenOpen
NightClosedSelective accessSelective accessClosedClosed
Twilight 1ClosedAccess revokedOpenOpenOpen
MorningClosedClosedOpenOpenClosed
Noon(EV)ClosedClosedClosedClosedOpen
AfternoonClosedClosedOpenOpenClosed

I made a balance change to prevent continuous lockdowns of the city in two halves, which would have been a breaking strategy.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

The Scythes

9 Townies
2 Multiacting Mafia
1 Power: Scythedom

On day 1 there is a standard lynch.
On night 1, after the nightkill, the mafia groups all the remaining living players into 3 person neighborhoods.
On day 2, players vote on a neighborhood to become the Scythedom. They can discuss this in their neighborhoods, but in thread they can only post naked votes until the Scythedom decision is hammered. The Scythedom gains a votes-only post restriction, but also gains a compulsive democratic neighborhood vigilante kill. Scythedoms of three allow the scum to redirect their shot if they fail to at least reach a 2-1 majority vote. Scythedoms of 2 randomize their shot between the two targets if there is not consensus, except if one of the options is scum and the other isn't, the town aligned player will always be selected. Scythe votes are published in thread on the following daystart.
The post restriction vanishes in LyLo.
"Well, I..."
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:42 am

Post by Boonskiies »

Don’t Gooch Your Neighbor

10x Night 0-Even Night Split Neighborizer

2x Mafia Goon
Mafia Night 0-Even Night Rolestopper

Mafia have a factional ability to link up to 3 players together, twice per even night (including Night 0).

Split implies compulsive and the need for 2 separate targets per night, each with a different neighborhood.

All Neighborhoods on any given night chained together by actions are paired into the same neighborhood.

For instance:

Player X split Neighborizer’s Player A and Player B.

Two neighborhoods are created. AX and BX.

However, if Player Y targets Player A and Player X, only one additional neighborhood will be created.

This leaves neighborhoods of XY, AXY, and BX, for a total of three neighborhoods.

Mafia factional neighborhood will play into it that way as well.

If Mafia target Player D and Player A that same night, that neighborhood would be turned into ADXY.

This neighborhood lasts only for the following day, making it so each day phase alternates between neighborhoods and having no neighborhoods.
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Collected the latest setups posted by people.

idk which one of popsofctown's setups to put in

EDIT: popsofctown wants Descent into Madness Mafia to be put in. I have edited that setup in this post.

EDIT 2: Somehow missed chennisden's actual submission. Sorry about that.

Spoiler: TemporalLich
In post 20, TemporalLich wrote:Here's a setup with a power I guess:

Soul Gem Mafia
9 players

2 Mafia Goons

7 Vanilla Townies

In addition to voting for lynches as normal, players can additionally vote to use the 1-shot Soultrap power by posting VOTE: Soultrap. Unvoting Soultrap is possible with UNVOTE: Soultrap, unvoting the player you're voting to lynch is still possible with UNVOTE: .

A majority vote on Soultrap resets the votecount, and replaces the lynch that day with a Soultrap vote. Soultrapping a player causes them to die, except they can still communicate in private topics and
must
add 2 other players, alive or dead, to their soul gem PT during twilight or daybreak.

Dead players may communicate in soul gem PTs.

The Mafia have a factional kill unless the Soultrap power was used during the Day of the current cycle. If the Soultrap power is used, the Mafia instead have a factional Soultrap the Night of the current cycle.

You may communicate in all PTs at any time.

Spoiler: chennisden
In post 1, chennisden wrote:
Pick A Neighbor

(a 13 player setup)

Mostly mountainous, with one fun powerup!

During
any day,
you may vote to give the
Pass-it-On-Neighborizer
power to someone.
Make sure that the scum don't get it!

If you are the
Pass-it-on-Neightborizer,
you target someone during the night and you give them your power. They become your neighbor for the following
day-phase
ONLY. If you are killed, the power still passes to the other person. They just don't get a neighborhood. If your target is killed, you keep your power, but you don't get a neighborhood.

Spoiler: OkaPoka
In post 56, OkaPoka wrote:
1 of N/2+1
9 Players
(though possible to upscale, probably should be 1ofN/(#ofScumMembersAtGameStart)+1

7 Vanilla Town

2 Mafia Goons

Standard Mountainous 7v2 Game (daytalk up to moderator discretion) with one hitch.
Town have another vote option they can reach by majority, which is using their 1ofN/2+1 ability.
They may use this ability only once.
Upon selection of this ability, the day phase will be paused, votes will be reset and the Mafia will have a full night cycle of time to select N/2 living players+1, but at least one of them must be Mafia aligned.
This list will be published at the start of the day, and the deadline will be unpaused.
Mafia have access to the nightkill.

Inspired by liars v millers by psyche and the 1of4 ability in gameshow mafia by BNP

With one mafia dead, it clears effectively half the playerlist upon selection of the ability.

also please criticize
esp balance i dont know how to calculate balance

Spoiler: Irrelephant11
In post 60, Irrelephant11 wrote:
Open Box of Silver, v29p,
v

During the twilight phase, scum must split all players into 2-person neighborhoods without overlap. If there is an odd # of players, scum choose one player to be left out of the neighborhoods. These neighborhoods take effect during the night, and only last one night. Scum also have continuous scumchat, but scumchat is not considered a neighborhood.
Scum
must
also choose one neighborhood to give a Watcher action to.
Scum
may
also choose one
other
neighborhood to give a Jailkeep action to. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood with two scum in it, they must also give out the Jailkeep action that night. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood that has one scum in it for the second or third night in a row, they must also give out the jailkeep action that night.

Within each neighborhood that has a night action, both members must choose a target for the night action. The two neighbors may choose the same or different targets. At the end of the night phase, mod will randomly choose one of the neighbors to enact that night action on their chosen target.

On Day 4, the game becomes nightless.

Spoiler: Oversoul
In post 65, Oversoul wrote:
Job Application
12 players

9 town
- 7 townies and 2 applicants
3 mafia
- 2 goons and 1 applicant

Selection Phase
- Mafia have 24 hours to choose who will be their applicant

Application Phase
- 3 private topics will be made with 3 unique players in each private topic (excluding applicants). All 3 applicants will have their own private topic. 1 private topic will be all town. 2 private topics will have 1 goon in each
- Each applicant will be given 72 hours access to a different private topic. Their access and viewing privileges will be revoked after 72 hours. They will then get 72 hours to access a different private topic until each applicant has had 72 hours access to each private topic. Other applicants who enter a private topic after an applicant has been there will be able to see those posts

Selection Phase
- Everyone will vote for the applicant that will get a 1-shot private topic sensor ability (they choose a player and then will be given a result if that player's private topic contains mafia)
- This selection phase lasts 48 hours

Day Phase
- After the selection phase, the 1-shot private topic sensor ability will be used automatically on applicant's choice
- Normal voting will commence
- Once a player has been voted, the other individuals originally in that private topic will also leave the game
- Can vote for the applicants
- Mafia win if 2 of their members escape
- Town wins if they lynch two mafia

If someone could do the EV on this, I would appreciate it

Spoiler: Cinnamon
In post 67, Cinnamon wrote:
Group Investigation
13 Players
(not entirely sure what playercount this would work best at)

10 Vanilla Town

3 Mafia Goons

This is a mountainous game with one twist. Each night, if there is a lynch, all players that voted for the lynch are put into a neighborhood and all players that did not vote for the lynch are put into a separate neighborhood.

Each player then submits a name (privately by PM) of a player they wish to investigate, and may choose themselves.

If all players in a neighborhood chose the same player, the alignment of that player is revealed in that neighborhood at the start of the day. If town, that player is protected from night kills both that night and the following night. All neighborhoods are only for that night and are locked upon the start of the day.

This effect lasts until there is only one mafia goon left, at which point the game returns to regular mountainous.

Thought it would be fun to do one of these, let me know how it looks. Not positive this ratio is best for balance.

Spoiler: Carl Tuckerson
In post 85, Carl Tuckerson wrote:
Dance Party Mafia

It's another summer of love down in sunny California. Daytime work and chores give way to night after night of dancing, drinking, and good times for the newly-graduated Class of 2019. This summer promises many flings, crazy nights, and memories - as long as your parents don't find out! And as if sneaking out of the house weren't hard enough, I hear there's some real squares trying to get the party shut down. . .

Factions:
Cool Kids (town) vs Squares (mafia)

Cool Kids win when all Squares have been kicked out of the party, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
Squares win when all Cool Kids have been ratted out, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

MECHANIC: Dance Partners

At the start of the game, players will be paired off as dance partners by the mod. Two Squares will never be paired up; that's just not cool. Cool Kids can be paired with other Cool Kids or Squares. Dance partners will always be public knowledge--you're gonna be dancing together after all. At the appropriate times, you and your dance partner will be able to talk in private. If your dance partner is kicked out of the party or ratted out by the Squares, you may still converse with them at the appropriate times.
Accordingly, no dancer kicked/ratted out of the party should be given access to any private discussion topics pertaining to the game until his or her partner is also kicked/ratted out, at which point either may be given the topic at mod's discretion.
Squares will have their own group talk separate from their partner chat.

Game Schedule and MECHANIC: Dance Prep

Days and nights are reversed in this game. The game starts on Night 0. [NOTE: This is strictly for flavor purposes.]
During night phases, dancers may talk in the game thread and vote to kick someone out of the party. Night phases are six days long, instead of the normal seven.
During day phases, dancers with special roles will submit their actions to the mod, and dancers may chat with their partners as they please. Day phases are two days long, as normal.
At the end of the day, before the night starts, dancers will take an intermediate step called Dance Prep. The day actions will resolve and the results will be announced. Dancers may chat with their partners as they please during Dance Prep. The thread is
NOT
open during this step. Dance Prep is one day long.
After Dance Prep, it's dance time! Dancers proceed to the venue and a new night begins.

SETUP QUICK 'N' DIRTY

For 12 players:
Cool Kids (9): Seven (7) Cool Kids, One (1) Bouncer, One (1) Wink
Squares (3): Three (3) Squares

For 20 players:
Cool Kids (14): Ten (10) Cool Kids, One (1) Bouncer, One (1) Wink, One (1) Cupid, One (1) Doc
Squares (6): Six (6) Squares

ROLES

The following roles
will
be in this game.

Cool Kid -- A regular Cool Kid with no special abilities. Dancers vote for someone to be kicked from the party every night and may converse with their partners during days and Dance Prep.

Square -- A regular Square. Squares vote for someone to be kicked from the party every night and may converse with their partners during days and Dance Prep. Additionally, Squares know who the other Squares are, and may converse with the other Squares during days and Dance Prep. Squares also collectively vote to rat out one of the Cool Kids each day. [NOTE: Ratting out a Cool Kid is a factional action; Squares don't have to select an individual Square to do the ratting out. Squares ride or die together, which is ironic, considering they're all ratting out everyone else.]

Chad "Bouncer" Radkowski -- A Cool Kid who played linebacker for the football team. Charming and very strong, if the Bouncer wants you out, you're done. The Bouncer can unilaterally kick another Dancer out of the party during the day. But because the Bouncer is a Cool Kid who wants everybody to get along, and feels like a father figure to the other Dancers since he took three more years to graduate than they did, the Bouncer limits himself to one eviction. Just know that if he weren't so cool, every last one of you Squares would be thrown out already. Bouncer is Wink's boyfriend, and begins the game partnered with Wink. [NOTE: Bouncer and Wink must be in the game together if they are in the game at all.]

Bernawinke "Wink" Reissmann -- A Cool Kid from Switzerland who led the cheerleading squad. Wink's a pretty little thing, and she knows it. She's the Bouncer's girlfriend, but that doesn't mean she can't talk to other people... During the day, Wink may choose a new dance partner. If she does, then at the start of Dance Prep, she will become that dancer's new partner. The dancer's old partner will pair up with her old partner. The two new pairs of partners will be able to talk during Dance Prep. If the Squares rat out the dancer that Wink chose as a new partner, then Wink's switch will fail and she will remain with her current partner. As mentioned before, Wink is Bouncer's girlfriend, and begins the game partnered with Bouncer. [NOTE: Bouncer and Wink must be in the game together if they are in the game at all.]

The following roles
may
be in this game, contingent upon game size.

Cooper "Cupid" Jackson -- A Cool Kid who became notorious in the Class of 2019 for winning homecoming king all four years, with a different date each time. Cupid is a matchmaker par excellence. Once per game during the day, Cupid can choose a dancer who doesn't currently have a partner. If he does, then at the start of Dance Prep, that dancer will become Cupid's partner. But because Cupid is such a charmer, his original partner won't leave; the three of them will dance the night away. For the rest of the game, all three dancers will be partnered together, and will be able to talk during the day and during Dance Prep. If the Squares rat out the dancer that Cupid chose as a new partner, then Cupid's arrow will be refunded.

Nick "Doc" Holliday -- A Cool Kid on his way to Stanford's illustrious pre-med program, Doc is a selfless guy who would do anything for his friends. At the end of the day, before day actions resolve, Doc will be told which dancer, if anybody, will be ratted out that day. He then may choose to "fess up" and be ratted out in that dancer's stead. If he chooses to confess, then the mod will announce when resolving day actions that Doc was ratted out. Owing to the nature of this ability, it can only be used once. [NOTE: The original target to be ratted out will not be announced; effectively Doc is redirecting the Squares' ratting out to himself.]

Balance Considerations

Previous DiscussionThis game needs an even number of players. Even the squarest of Squares needs somebody to love...
This setup is inherently very townsided compared to normal mafia games for a few reasons;
- Lots of gossiping in private, hurting mafia's information advantage
- There is an effective clearing mechanic--because Squares cannot be paired up to start the game, lynching a Square automatically confirms his or her partner as a Cool Kid.
- There are no mafia power roles, and two town roles (Wink and Cupid) can mechanically confirm themselves, the former of which mechanically confirms Chad as well
Accordingly, it's recommended that there be a higher percentage of mafia than normal. I can't make an exact recommendation and would leave that up to more experienced setup balancers, but the mechanics in this setup are somewhat prone to snowballing, so keep that in mind.

As a spitball for starting numbers I would say 13:7 town:mafia in a 20p game if using the full power role suite, 14:6 if only using Wink/Chad and 15:5 if using none. Again, leaving this up to people who know balancing better than me to figure out.

EDIT: To be clear, the roles are confirmed and known at game start. I wanted to give the GM some options for tuning the setup since the neighbor-heavy nature of the game makes for weird balancing (imo). This is an open setup with GM discretion on which roles to use; the roles will be known.
[EDIT of EDIT: This has been resolved.]

EDIT 2: Balance considerations revised after discussion below. Setups for 12 and for 20 players are included near the top. Spoiler edited into an area since nested spoilers don't work contains original comments.

Spoiler: Ircher
In post 94, Ircher wrote:
The Four Seasons
v3.0.0.0
10x Vanilla Townie
3x Mafia Goon

During a special pregame/Dawn phase (after everyone has received alignment; mafia can chat during this phase), players privately choose one of the four seasons: winter, spring, summer, or autumn. Players that do not pick in a timely manner are automatically assigned to Winter.

Once the Dawn phase ends, players become neighbors with players that chose the same season as them. Who is in what neighborhood is not publicly revealed. The game then continues like a normal game.

During Day 1 OR Day 2, the town may publicly vote to use a seasonal sensor ability on a particular seasonal neighborhood. This ability causes the number of scum (at the beginning of Day 1) in that neighborhood to be revealed. A simple majority of votes for a particular neighborhood is needed to activate the ability.
---
This version is less swingy than the first version since it is no longer dependent on a particular person staying alive. It still doesn't address the other issue of an 8p neighborhood being all town (or something of that sort), but I believe if one were to calculate the probability of such, it would be rather low. (And scum get pregame to decide on how to distribute themselves among the neighborhoods, so an instance of all three scum being in the same neighborhood and the sensor ability revealing such is on them.)

Currently, I have the sensor ability set to be a public majority vote, but maybe it would be better to have it be anonymous plurality vote (with numbers but not names revealed).

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Spoiler: Skygazer
In post 105, Skygazer wrote:
divide and conquer
7 Townies

2 Goons

Mechanics:

Daytalk
During a brief pre-game period, the scum team must divide the nine players into two groups of six players and three players.
Both groups will be announced in thread and become neighborhoods.
Both groups must contain at least one scum.

Expected ValuesThe most optimal strat (town focuses on the 2:1 pool and scum always kills within the larger pool) I've found so far has a ~45% town win-rate.
There's a potential for a D1 auto-win if scum in lynched from the 5:1 pool on D1, but overall lynching within the 5:1 pool first has around a ~40% town win-rate. Additionally, scum get to choose the players in each grouping, meaning they can stick their best player in there, as well as potential lynchbait.

Spoiler: mith
In post 107, mith wrote:
Take Two

4 Mafia
9 Townies

Spoiler: Not Known 15
In post 116, Not Known 15 wrote:
Council Infiltration version 3
17 Councillors:
Councillors of the East
Councillors of the South
Councillors of the West
Councillors of the North

3 Infiltrators(of the East, South, West or North)

There is an equal number of Councillors + Infiltrators for each direction.
Phases:
Infiltration
->
Twilight 2
->
Night
->
Twilight 1
->
Morning
->
Noon
->
Afternoon
->
Twilight 2
->...

City: The city has - apart from the gates to the outside - one gate from each district(North South West East) to an adjacent district as well to the center.
The gates are: Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, Northeast, North, West, South, East.

At the start of the game, the infiltrators get a Infiltrator role pm and then decide their district. Multiple Infiltrators in the same district get a District Infiltrator PT. Then the rest is randomized.

The game now really starts for everyone in Twilight 2 of Day 1, the (normally) second voting phase of the day.
After the lynch the game descends into Night. The Infiltrators meet at the Center PT, if their gate isn't blocked. The Center PT is the regular Infiltrator PT and informs the mafia about all closed and open center gates. Every Infiltrator selects a player to kill, and a path to take through the gates. If any gate in that path is closed, then 1 infiltrator is left behind for every point of gate strength(if two or more Infiltrators take the same path; in this case, the infiltrator(s) left behind also count for the way back). If there is excess gate strength left, one Infiltrator dies for every point of gate strength in excess. In Night 1, the gates are open.
The new day begins with Twilight 1, the first voting phase of the day. The blocked gates report if there was suspicious activity around them(not including center gates blocking access to the Center PT), gate distribution reports are released and the nightkilled players flip.
The next phase is Morning. People now vote for the Head of the Council(HoC) or an emergency vote, via secret ballot(PM). Infiltrators that are part of a neighborhood may start an attack. If they outnumber town, all town die. If town outnumbers them, they die. If it's a 1v1 the priority for deaths is normal town>scum>Head of the Council. All other ties cause everyone in that neighborhood to die. These dead people do NOT flip.
The next phase is Noon. The results of the ballot are released:
-Majority for emergency vote: The main thread is unlocked and there is an additional vote. This can only happen once in the entire game.
-Majority for a HoC: The person is elected.
-Tie:Tied Councillors of the North are elected. If there is still a tie, a tied incumbent is elected. If there is still a tie, a tied person is selected randomly.

The next phase is Afternoon. Again, Infiltrators can attack in their neighborhoods in the same way as in the morning. The Head of the Council selects 3 or 4 gates to reinforce and close. If they selected 4 different gates, then only 3 can be selected the next day(in total!). They may select a gate more than once, but must select at least one center gate. The Head of the Council can freely pass through these gates at night, and every infiltrator who travels with them(including the initial movement to the Center PT) may pass through, too.

The game ends when the Infiltrators gain Majority or nothing can stop this from happening... or when they are all dead. The game also ends when the Infiltrators fail to kill three nights and days in a row or nothing except inactivity can stop this from happening(e.g. at twilight 1 only the following remain: 1 Head of the Council(East) vs 1 Infiltrator(South);1 Head of the Council Infiltrator(West) vs 1 Councillor of the North).
PhaseInfiltration Phase PTCenter PTDistrict Infiltrator PTDistrict PT's(Neighborhoods)Main Thread
InfiltrationOpenNonexistantNonexistantNonexistantClosed
Twilight 2ClosedClosedOpenOpenOpen
NightClosedSelective accessSelective accessClosedClosed
Twilight 1ClosedAccess revokedOpenOpenOpen
MorningClosedClosedOpenOpenClosed
Noon(EV)ClosedClosedClosedClosedOpen
AfternoonClosedClosedOpenOpenClosed

I made a balance change to prevent continuous lockdowns of the city in two halves, which would have been a breaking strategy.

Spoiler: popsofctown
In post 104, popsofctown wrote:
Descent into Madness Mafia

9 Town Mad Scientists

2 Scum Mad Scientists

Collective Town Power : Savage Mutation

The mafia factional nightkill is compulsive.
Each day starts with players only allowed to post naked votes regarding the Savage Mutation power (this restriction includes factional PTs). If "Don't Mutate" receives a majority or 2 real days pass, the power is saved, perhaps to be used on another day. If "Mutate: Playername" receives a majority, that player becomes a
3-nights-to-go-poisoned, unlynchable, bulletproof, voteless third party savage mutant with a 3-shot factional nightkill
. That player loses all posting privileges, even voting, for the rest of the game. If that player was previously town, that player's win condition becomes
"Fennecbeast: You win the game and leave the game when you kill a member of the mafia."
If that player was previously mafia, that player's win condition becomes
"Sharktobeast:You win the game and leave the game just before shooting when you target the same player at night that the mafia targetted"

The Savage Mutation power becomes unavailable after it has been used once, or after a Scum Mad Scientist is lynched.
After the decision regarding the power, players can post opinions that may persuade the up-to-one savage mutant in the mutant's silence, but more importantly posts opinions about a standard majority lynch.
After a
Sharktobeast
win, the remaining shots are fired at townies at random over the remainder of the nights.

Spoiler: Boonskiies
In post 118, Boonskiies wrote:
Don’t Gooch Your Neighbor

10x Night 0-Even Night Split Neighborizer

2x Mafia Goon
Mafia Night 0-Even Night Rolestopper

Mafia have a factional ability to link up to 3 players together, twice per even night (including Night 0).

Split implies compulsive and the need for 2 separate targets per night, each with a different neighborhood.

All Neighborhoods on any given night chained together by actions are paired into the same neighborhood.

For instance:

Player X split Neighborizer’s Player A and Player B.

Two neighborhoods are created. AX and BX.

However, if Player Y targets Player A and Player X, only one additional neighborhood will be created.

This leaves neighborhoods of XY, AXY, and BX, for a total of three neighborhoods.

Mafia factional neighborhood will play into it that way as well.

If Mafia target Player D and Player A that same night, that neighborhood would be turned into ADXY.

This neighborhood lasts only for the following day, making it so each day phase alternates between neighborhoods and having no neighborhoods.
Last edited by TemporalLich on Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
time will end
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:51 am

Post by mith »

Comments on the ones I've gotten through so far:

Spoiler: TemporalLich, chennisden, OkaPoka, irrelephant11
TemporalLich (Soul Gem) - This setup has a parity problem; scum losing their nightkill when the soultrap happens just means town should no lynch the next day. Given that, this has the same EV as 2:7 Vanilla, and I'm kinda meh on private topics for the sake of private topics.

chennisden - Joke post.

OkaPoka (1 of N/2+1) - Potentially clearing half the player list is very strong, but I think the balance is reasonable. I think the intention is floor(N/2)+1 (odd count - equivalent to (N+1)/2 if lynches and nightkills are compulsive). Using the ability before getting it down to 1 scum is questionable, which limits my interest in the mechanic somewhat - perhaps requiring exactly 1 scum would be more reasonable. Anyway, my best guess at optimal strategy is to wait until scum is lynched to use it (even at 2:3, town gains very little information from using the ability since scum can put both in the group of 3 with some optimal probability), and I get an EV of 42.59% in that case (2/9*3/4 + 7/9*2/7*2/3 + 7/9*5/7*2/5*1/2), a significant improvement over 2:7 Vanilla. Not bad.

irrelephant11 (Open Box of Silver) - Not sure about the balance; it's probably ok? The random choice if neighbors don't agree kills this for me. I'd require a unanimous choice.

Ranking so far: OkaPoka >> irrelephant11 > TemporalLich
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:54 am

Post by Ircher »

In order from most favored to least favored setup:

1. The Four Seasons (Ircher): First of all, it is my own setup. Though it may be swingy, I really like the choose your neighbors-type mechanic in it. It also reminds me of another game I played here that actually did feature that part of the mechanic.

2. Group Investigation (Cinnamon): While a simple setup, I like the idea.

3. Take Two (mith): It's an interesting setup, though it may be a little frustrating since there are no flips.

4. Open Box of Silver (Irrelephant11): I think it's a cool setup, and I like how you model it after a series of closed games. That said, I don't think randomness is that great of a thing, and I also think watcher abilities tend to lead setups that swing too wildly against scum. Jailkeeper is also apparently a strong power to give out as well, so I think the balance of the setup may significantly favor town.

5. 1 of N/2 + 1 (OkaPoka): Having played Liars and Millers by Psyche, which was very similar to this, I'd say this mechanic is pretty fun. The only concern I have is again balance--in Liars and Millers, the setup swung wildly in town's favor. This version seems to be even more swingy especially the longer people wait on doing this power.

6. Dance Party Mafia (Carl Tuckerson): The setup seems interesting, but not one that I'd personally like to play.

7. Don't Gooch Your Neighbor (Boonskiies): This seems like a wild and fun setup, but I'm not sure I fully understand it. If I did, this setup would probably have been higher in my list.

8. Divide and Conquer (Skygazer): A simpler setup that seems to be balanced. (It's a lot less fun though when scum get to choose neighborhoods.)

9. The Scythes (popsofctown): This setup just didn't really interest me that much.

10. Job Application (Oversoul): This setup doesn't look balanced at a glance. It also didn't interest me that much, sorry!

11. Soul Gem Mafia (TemporalLich): While I like the mechanic, this setup is basically 7-2 mountainous, and the site as a whole agrees that pure mountainous setups are bad.

12. Council Infilitration (Not Known 15): While you tried your best to shorten it down, it is still too long and complicated for me to really even try to understand it. I could if I had unlimited time, but I do not. Furthermore, I think that will be a large problem when running the setup in practice--people will not understand how it works because it is so long and so complicated.

13. Invite the Neighbors (chennisden): This setup does not fit the spirit of the rules and should be disqualified.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:56 am

Post by mith »

My best guess at EV for OkaPoka's is included above, for those who care about such things.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Soul Gem Mafia being 7:2 mountainous is mostly because I wanted a micro that wasn't nightless or any color of flag.

Yeah Soultrap doesn't affect the EV at all, it's basically a near-kill that gives you a PT.

If it really does cause a parity problem then there aren't correct numbers for Soul Gem Mafia (there might be for one-sided Soul Gem Mafia, where town deciding to soultrap doesn't affect the mafia NK, but really one-sided Soul Gem Mafia is so close to mountainous it's not worth considering).
time will end
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:20 am

Post by mith »

Spoiler: Oversoul, Cinnamon
Oversoul (Job Application) - I may not be following this correctly. Assuming each phase happens every cycle, and there is no nightkill, town strategy should be as follows: Give whichever applicant the ability - that applicant uses the ability on a different applicant (since each applicant has a private topic). Town is guaranteed to determine a town applicant (if the ability claim gives a town result, that player is town; if the ability claim gives a scum result, either that player or the claimer is scum, which means the third applicant is town). Lynch among the possible scum applicants. The next cycle, give the town applicant the ability to determine which groups have scum (this actually doesn't matter at all - the all-town group is irrelevant, ultimately). Lynch the other applicant if you didn't already hit scum. Town is guaranteed to hit the scum applicant, and then they have to guess 1 out of 3 with two chances to get it right, so Mafia win 2/3*2/3 = 4/9 and Town wins 5/9. Not balanced, and not fun.

Cinnamon (Group Investigation) - This is a neat idea. Protecting a player if town for two nights may be overpowered? That player can determine everything including neighborhood makeups and targets, and if the ability fails town learns there is at least one scum in the group. An ability going through doesn't confirm no scum, but scum are taking a big risk letting any investigations go through if they can prevent it. Town should pre-vote and then force certain players to join the lynch to control neighborhood makeup. Anyway, I'm not sure it's imbalanced necessarily (in terms of overall EV); but very swingy (and also probably less fun to play) if town controls the neighborhoods like that. Day 1, town can choose 5 players to stay off the lynch, with ~20% chance of picking all town (and a ~3.5% chance of hitting all the scum) and getting an investigation. If an investigation does go through (whether hitting that almost 1/4 chance of an all town group, or scum letting it go through), the group can be kept together until/unless scum block the investigation on a later night. Obviously scum can try to manipulate things as long as possible to ensure there is never an investigation, and give information that way (plus the information that there is at least one scum in a failed neighborhood). Anyway, I think there is an interesting idea here that needs tweaking.

List so far: OkaPoka > Cinnamon >> irrelephant11 > TemporalLich > Oversoul

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”